New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 51 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    Q174

can a wand be used to craft another wand? assuming the relevant feat.

Specific examples: a sorcerer wanting to craft a wand of mage armor, while not having selected mage armor as one of his spell known. A wizard wanting to craft a wand of mage armor, while not having mage armor in his spellbook
    A 174

Yes, the relevant line in the SRD being:

Quote Originally Posted by Creating Magic Items
    These prerequisites must be met for the item to be created. Most of the time, they take the form of spells that must be known by the item’s creator (although access through another magic item or spellcaster is allowed).
    Meaning, you can create magic items even if the prerequisite spell (or spells) comes from another magic item or another spellcaster than the one with the item creation feat (which is the one paying the XP cost).

Addendum: However, using a wand certainly shouldn't allow to create another wand on the cheap; if the spell has a costly material component, or an XP cost, the creation process must still include 50 times this.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2022-05-24 at 05:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #392

Q 175

A) A character with Improved Trip manages to trip an opponent under a blink spell despite the miss chance. Does the subsequent "free" attack granted by the feat has the same miss chance, or is considered part of the same attack and thus ignore the spell (the miss chance being rolled already)?

B) A character manages to start a grapple against an opponent under a blink spell despite the miss chance. How long exactly is the grapple going to last?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

3. - Top - End - #393
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

A 175

Trip can me made in place of an attack. So you roll the miss chance when you try to hit the trip attempt.
    Another free attack after that is its own attack and has its own miss chance.

As for Grapple: That question is a classic by now.
    Its wonky to say the least. To make it easier I would say that you cant even get a hold of him to begin with. If he is grappled and then casts blink then the grappled condition ends immediately. You could rule that he gets shunned out of the other space and takes some dmg though.

Q176: Sundering -
    "If you fail the sunder attempt, you don’t deal any damage. "
    Does that mean I have to deal the entire amount of item HP dmg to the weapon, shield and alike in a single attack or else its completely wasted?

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

A 176 No. It means you have to successfully complete steps 1 and 2 of sundering and beat the opponent's opposed roll. If all that happens, then you deal that much hp damage to the object you're trying to destroy (applying hardness normally). If that's enough to destroy the thing outright, great. If not, then it takes that much damage and you can keep hammering at it. You do not need to destroy the item in one stroke or else your damage vanishes.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

5. - Top - End - #395

Q177

Is the caster affected by his own antimagic field?

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 177

Yes, it affects the entire area.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

7. - Top - End - #397

Q178

Can a sha'ir select as spell known or generally use spells marked as sorcerer? Such as wings of cover

What about suel arcanamach or sublime chord or any other prestige class whose spell access is worded as sorcerer/wizard?

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Q178

Can a sha'ir select as spell known or generally use spells marked as sorcerer? Such as wings of cover

What about suel arcanamach or sublime chord or any other prestige class whose spell access is worded as sorcerer/wizard?
    No and no.

9. - Top - End - #399
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Q 179

Can an SLA fill in for the reqs in item creation, in place of a spell?

10. - Top - End - #400

Q 180

A) Apart from the Sun School tactical feat, is there a way to avoid the temporary disorientation (the "you can't take any other actions until your next turn" part) from using a dimension door spell or similar ability (such as the Blink Shirt soulmeld)?

B) If you use said power as a readied action, the "beginning of the next turn", where you can take actions anew, is pushed back to the new initiative count, right?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2022-05-25 at 04:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #401

A179

Yes, per complete arcane , nonperfect quote "SLA fullfills the prerequisites of being able to cast a specific spell" It is meant for qualifying for PrC and feats, but magic item creation arre prerequisites just the same

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 180

A) Apart from the Sun School tactical feat, is there a way to avoid the temporary disorientation (the "you can't take any other actions until your next turn" part) from using a dimension door spell or similar ability (such as the Blink Shirt soulmeld)?
    Cast time stop first.

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    B) If you use said power as a readied action, the "beginning of the next turn", where you can take actions anew, is pushed back to the new initiative count, right?
    Correct.

13. - Top - End - #403

Q181

What's the max rank for a cross class skill at 2nd level for a human with able learner, 2 or 3 ?

14. - Top - End - #404
    Halfling in the Playground

ClericGuy

A181

2 (technically 2.5) since able learner does not change the maximum rank of a skill.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

A181 add.
    If it was in-class on the 1st level - it's 5.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

16. - Top - End - #406

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 179

Can an SLA fill in for the reqs in item creation, in place of a spell?
    A179

Yes, per complete arcane , nonperfect quote "SLA fullfills the prerequisites of being able to cast a specific spell" It is meant for qualifying for PrC and feats, but magic item creation arre prerequisites just the same
    A 179 addedum
    Please note, though, that even if using a SLA to create a magic item, it is unlikely the DM will allow to wave an additional XP cost or expensive component cost if the normal spell requires them.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Q182

Does the "Fell Frighten" metamagic feat make the spell it modifies into a Mind-Affecting spell?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Cazero's Graduates Of Hope's Peak - Danganronpa Mafia

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

18. - Top - End - #408
    Titan in the Playground

A182 No, but a target must be susceptible to both fear and MA effects for a fell frighten spell to have any additional effect.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

19. - Top - End - #409

Q183

Are there minimum caster level to craft stat items such as headbands of intellect +4(+6), other than the default CL 8?

20. - Top - End - #410
    Titan in the Playground

Q183

Are there minimum caster level to craft stat items such as headbands of intellect +4(+6), other than the default CL 8?
    Only the caster level of 3 that is required to use Craft Wondrous Item.

21. - Top - End - #411

Q183

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Only the caster level of 3 that is required to use Craft Wondrous Item.
    To clarify: The "caster level" section of a magic item is a measure of the power of the item. It is NOT a minimal level needed by the creator of the item.

This minimum level depends on the needed item creation feat, as mentioned, and on the prerequisite spell (fox's cunning in the case of headband of intellect, thus 3rd level for a wizard or 4th level for a sorcerer).

Some magic items do require a minimum caster level as prerequisite, but again this is independent of the finalized item's caster level. (For example, bracers of armors require a caster level equal to twice their armor bonus; thus the most powerful bracers [+8] would require a 16th level creator, but they're still a CL 7 magic item.)
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

22. - Top - End - #412

Q184

Where (in the DMG?) is said that putting class-restriction or race-restriction reduces the cost of creating a magic item? I'm looking about page 283 of the 3.5 DMG and I can't find mention of that in the section about crafting magic item

23. - Top - End - #413
    Titan in the Playground

Q184

Where (in the DMG?) is said that putting class-restriction or race-restriction reduces the cost of creating a magic item? I'm looking about page 283 of the 3.5 DMG and I can't find mention of that in the section about crafting magic item
    It doesn't say that at all. The text is on page 282, but it's about inventing new magic items, not crafting existing ones. Any customized magic items are fully under the purview of the DM; by default, players do not have access to those rules, except as described in Magic Item Compendium.

24. - Top - End - #414
    Titan in the Playground

Q 185

Apologies in advance, I don't own the Rules Compendium so I can't check the wording regarding multiple attacks from a single spell.

I cast snilloc's snowball at CL5. My base attack bonus is +11.
    Can I immediately make five ranged touch attacks as part of the same action (thereby exhausting the spell), or three with declining values based on my BAB, or does something limit me to one per round?
    When the spell is not yet exhausted, what determines how often I can make melee touch attacks with it?
    Let's say I spend a couple turns making melee touch attacks until I K.O. the enemy who was threatening me. Now that it's safe, I want to start throwing the snowballs. What determines the timing and rate-of-fire now that it's not the same turn in which I cast the spell?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 185

When you first cast the spell, you can immediately make one (melee or ranged) touch attack with it, no touching six (or five) opponents, only allies. The next round, you can either make one more touch attack (standard action), or make a ranged touch attack (standard action), or make a regular melee full attack with your natural weapons or unarmed strike (not targetting touch AC) which will discharge one charge per hit on top of regular damage. No ranged full attack.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2022-05-31 at 07:22 AM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks. Follow-up question (and what I guess I should've asked in the first place):

Q 186

What's the phrasing that allows something like scalding touch to make all its attacks as part of the same action as casting the spell?

Current games list

27. - Top - End - #417
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    A 185

When you first cast the spell, you can immediately make one (melee or ranged) touch attack with it, no touching six (or five) opponents, only allies. The next round, you can either make one more touch attack (standard action), or make a ranged touch attack (standard action), or make a regular melee full attack with your natural weapons or unarmed strike (not targetting touch AC) which will discharge one charge per hit on top of regular damage. No ranged full attack.
    For Snilloc's snowball, this is incorrect. The snowball is not a held charge and does not behave like one in regards to touching targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Thanks. Follow-up question (and what I guess I should've asked in the first place):

Q 186

What's the phrasing that allows something like scalding touch to make all its attacks as part of the same action as casting the spell?
    Here it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by RC 136
    Casting time takes precedence over normal rules for attacks, unless a spell’s description says otherwise. If a spell allows its caster to make multiple attacks and has a casting time of 1 standard action, all those attacks occur during that standard action. The caster uses the highest applicable attack bonus for each attack in such a case.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2022-05-31 at 11:35 AM.

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

Q 187

What does ebon eyes even DO? It seems to contradict itself. And if "see normally in natural and magical darkness" means what it'd mean in natural language, the spell is stronger than the higher-level devil's eye (30' vision) and darkvision (60', black and white only). Is the only mechanical benefit ignoring miss chance in shadowy conditions?

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Q189
    Separate rebuke/turn pools, like from Cold domain. How do them work with Divine and Devotion feats? Have we some official RAW answer or only speculations?

UPD: I maybe asked this already. Sorry if it's repeat.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2022-06-02 at 01:59 PM.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Q 187

What does ebon eyes even DO? It seems to contradict itself. And if "see normally in natural and magical darkness" means what it'd mean in natural language, the spell is stronger than the higher-level devil's eye (30' vision) and darkvision (60', black and white only). Is the only mechanical benefit ignoring miss chance in shadowy conditions?
    It lets you see normally in natural and magical darkness. However, unlike more powerful effects, it does not allow you to ignore complete darkness—only shadowy illumination.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonton64 View Post
    Q188

Is there any official or semi-official answer as to whether a Psychodermist Occultist qualifies for panoplies if their trophies are integrated into the appropriate item?
    I think you want the PF thread.

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    Q189
    Separate rebuke/turn pools, like from Cold domain. How do them work with Divine and Devotion feats? Have we some official RAW answer or only speculations?

UPD: I maybe asked this already. Sorry if it's repeat.
    You can only expend turn or rebuke undead uses to power divine/domain feats unless otherwise noted.