New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920212223242540 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Hopefully not too open-ended and outside of the scope for this thread, but...

Q 190a

Are the any officially published alchemical items that restore lost HP of damage?

Q 190b

Are there any other mundane (i.e. non-magical, non-alchemical) items that restore lost HP of damage?

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Hopefully not too open-ended and outside of the scope for this thread, but...

Q 190a

Are the any officially published alchemical items that restore lost HP of damage?

Q 190b

Are there any other mundane (i.e. non-magical, non-alchemical) items that restore lost HP of damage?
    A190a: there is Healing salve somewhere in 3.0 books (not the same as in MIC). 50 gp, full round, 1d8 hp. Out of books now, can misremembering something.
    UPD: it's Time and Blood, I think.

190b: don't know is it counting, there is Healing Arrow, somewhere in 3.0, too. But it maybe magical.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    Time and Blood, I think.
    Time and Blood: your changing body and you.
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; 2022-06-06 at 07:47 AM.

4. - Top - End - #424
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    Time and Blood: your changing body and you.
    Tome, it's Tome, you, stupid T9! How many tomes I should repeat it for you?
    Last edited by loky1109; 2022-06-06 at 08:51 AM.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

5. - Top - End - #425
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    A190a: there is Healing salve somewhere in 3.0 books (not the same as in MIC). 50 gp, full round, 1d8 hp. Out of books now, can misremembering something.
    UPD: it's Time and Blood, I think.

190b: don't know is it counting, there is Healing Arrow, somewhere in 3.0, too. But it maybe magical.
    Right you are! Healing Salve, T&B p.72.

I also found Burn Salve (Dragon 301); it only restores damage caused by fire, and must be applied within 2 rounds.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q191

Can the spell Wind at Back from Spell compendium be used on Etheral mount / Phantom steed?

7. - Top - End - #427

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    Q191

Can the spell Wind at Back from Spell compendium be used on Etheral mount / Phantom steed?
    A 191

Well, it depends entirely whether the conjured mounts count as "creatures" or as "nonliving material".

I would seriously tend toward "no" (they're magical constructs and not living creatures), but that's essentially the DM's call.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

8. - Top - End - #428

Q192

Do the psionic version of spells, such as "True seeing, psionic", whose description is "as the spell, except as noted above", still require the material component if the spell they emulate require a material component?

9. - Top - End - #429

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    Q192

Do the psionic version of spells, such as "True seeing, psionic", whose description is "as the spell, except as noted above", still require the material component if the spell they emulate require a material component?
    A 192
    No. Psionic powers never require a material component.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #430
    Titan in the Playground

Q 193

Does falling, or taking damage from a fall, knock you prone in D&D 3.5?

The catfall psi power certainly implies that it does, and it does in Pathfinder 1e, but I can't find any other support. Feather fall lacks catfall's wording about landing on your feet. I'm probably just mixing editions again -- I used to teleport enemies up into the air in 4e for the damage-and-prone combo.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #431
    Titan in the Playground

A 193 No and no.

This is a fairly popular houserule, like saying you acquire the prone condition when you acquire the dead condition.

Closest thing that seems to exist is the following, under jump:

Quote Originally Posted by jump
    If you have ranks in Jump and you succeed on a Jump check, you land on your feet (when appropriate). If you attempt a Jump check untrained, you land prone unless you beat the DC by 5 or more.
    So if you tried to use jump to mitigate a fall, had no ranks in it, and didn't beat the DC by 5 or more, then and only then would you acquire the prone condition from falling.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

12. - Top - End - #432
    Titan in the Playground

Q 194

Can the Stitched Flesh Familiar feat be applied to an improved familiar (such as an Imp, or a Winter Wolf), or is it limited to the normal tiny-animal type familiars listed in the PHB/SRD? I'm guessing the wording in the feat means the latter?

Q 194b

Can a Dread Necromancer apply the Stitched Flesh Familiar feat to, say, a Vargouille, since he has no access to the more standard type familiars?

Q 195

If a Dread Necromancer of 7th + level takes levels in Nar Demonbinder, does he end up with two, separate familiars?

13. - Top - End - #433
    Titan in the Playground

A 194 Clearly an oversight on the writers' part (since you're taking this after you already have a familiar, presumably) but no, yes, yes.
    A 194b No.
    A 195 Yes. It lacks the language of say diabolist which says the imp kills your old familiar, so you get 2.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

14. - Top - End - #434
    Titan in the Playground

Q 196

What happens when you try to teleport into an antimagic field?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

A 196 No succinct RAW answer exists.

A few possibilities:
    you arrive at the nearest legal square like you'd tried to teleport into a wall (but sans damage)

you disappear from your start point and are in limbo temporarily until the amf moves or the duration runs out like a summon (does create issues with permanent amfs though)

the spell fails

Iron Chef Medals!

16. - Top - End - #436

Q197
    Are quickened spells free action or swift action? PHB says free action, SRD says swift action

Q198
    can a quickened spell be cast while grappled?

17. - Top - End - #437
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A197 Quickened Spells are a special case of swift action. When the PHB was written swift actions did not exist so they were written as a special case of free action limited to one per round *
    When swift action were introduced quickened spells were changed to swift actions.
    * They are a special case because the epic rules contain a feat allowing multiple quickened spells per round - and I am unaware of any other way to take multiple swift actions in a round without somethign granting extra actions.

A198 Yes, but the normal restrictions on casting while grappled apply: material components must be in hand, no somatic components and make a concentration check DC25+ spell level

This leads to a question though:
    Q199 If you have used an immediate action (thus having no swift actions available) does the epic feat that permits a second quickened spell to be cast in the round enable one to be cast?
    Last edited by Khedrac; 2022-06-12 at 09:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

A 199 Yes. This is the only function of this feat.

Iron Chef Medals!

19. - Top - End - #439
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q200: How does the recharge time for dragon's breath work? If he uses it on round 1 and rolls a 2, can he use it again on round 2 or 3? The turn he uses it counts for recharge time?

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

A 200 In that example, he could use it on round 3.

Iron Chef Medals!

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q 201

Can shadow evocation be used to mimic a sorcerer-exclusive spell?
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

22. - Top - End - #442
    Titan in the Playground

A 201 Yes, it can.

Iron Chef Medals!

23. - Top - End - #443

Q202

what's the power cost of Freedom of movement, psionic, for an ardent with the freedom mantle?

"normally" freedom of movement, psionic, is 4th level for psion/wilder /psychic warrior, so it should be 7 power points to manifest
    it's listed as 5th level in the freedom mantle, does that mean it's 9 power points for an ardent to manifest?

by extension, "what's the power point of ardent powers that are listed at a level different than what they are for psion/wilders/psychic warriors"?

24. - Top - End - #444
    Titan in the Playground

A 202 Yes, it would be 9 points. If ardents get powers at different levels, they pay the ardent cost, not the psion one.

Iron Chef Medals!

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

Q 203a

Question about entry reqs for Nar Demonbinder. It says: "knowledge of at least one summon monster spell".

Would having Summon Monster as an SLA satisfy these reqs, as per the Specific Spell Requirements rules in Complete Arcane?

Q 203b

If you had the higher order power of the Catalogues of Enlightenment, and were able to able to cast a Summon Monster spell using one of the various domains that grant them, would that satisfy "knowledge of at least one summon monster spell"?

26. - Top - End - #446
    Titan in the Playground

A 203a Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Arcane p 72
    SPECIFIC SPELL REQUIREMENTS
    A requirement based on a specific spell measures whether the character or creature in question is capable of producing the necessary effect, and as such, invocations and spell-like abilities that generate the relevant effect meet the requirements for specific spell knowledge.
    A 203b Yes.

Iron Chef Medals!

27. - Top - End - #447
    Titan in the Playground

Q 204

Do different Spell Focus increases to DC stack? If I have SF (Enchantment) and SF (Evil), and I cast an Enchantment spell with the Evil descriptor, does the DC increase by one, or two?

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

A 204 Yes, they stack. The same is true of dual school spells, for example if you have sf for both.

Iron Chef Medals!

29. - Top - End - #449
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 205
    Can a Sha Ir use their Gen to hide and store items? Say for instance, you wanted to save a scroll for later, you hand it to your gen, tell them to "Go search for magic missile... Oh and while you're there, put this with the others", and then later on saying "Go fetch me a copy of Magic Missile, and while you're out there, fetch that scroll I gave you a while back as well"

Or at the very least, could you use this as a "not my problem" thing, say the enemy has a time bomb macguffin or whatever, could you hand it to your Gen, and send them off into a different plane with it?
    Last edited by NCat; 2022-06-13 at 10:57 PM.

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 205

Elemental Travel (Sp): A gen can plane shift at will to any of the Elemental Planes or from any elemental plane to the Material Plane. This ability transports the gen only. It is otherwise identical to the plane shift spell (caster level 13th).

This ability transports the gen only, not any item it may have with it. Even if it could (with something like Absorb Weapon), it only goes to the Elemental Planes, which really aren't very conductive to item security. The Earth crushes them, they drift away in the Air, burn in Fire and are soaked by Water.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.