New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 51 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252641 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Q206 Are the physical remains of a non-creature plant such as a tree considered a corpse? More generally, is the term " corpse" meaningfully defined as a discrete rules term anywhere?
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

2. - Top - End - #452
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    Q206 Are the physical remains of a non-creature plant such as a tree considered a corpse? More generally, is the term " corpse" meaningfully defined as a discrete rules term anywhere?
    A 206

Probably not; and: Probably not.

As far as I can tell, the word "corpse" is never defined anywhere in the D&D rulebooks. However, in most places where the word "corpse" appears, the phrase "dead creature" also appears. For example, the descriptions of the spells Animate Dead, Gentle Repose, Raise Dead, and Reincarnate all include the phrase "dead creature," and we can assume that the spells whose descriptions refer back to these spells, such as Resurrection and True Resurrection, also affect only dead creaures.

The concept of a dead creature is much better defined in the rulebooks than the concept of a corpse. Since a creature is definitely not the same thing as an object, a dead creature is also definitely not the same thing as a dead object (such as "the physical remains of a non-creature plant"). However, the physical remains of a Plant creature, such as a treant, do qualify as a dead creature.

I know of no spell or extraordinary or magical power that affects a formerly living object as if it was a dead creature.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2022-06-14 at 11:24 AM.

3. - Top - End - #453

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 204

Do different Spell Focus increases to DC stack? If I have SF (Enchantment) and SF (Evil), and I cast an Enchantment spell with the Evil descriptor, does the DC increase by one, or two?
    Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A 204 Yes, they stack. The same is true of dual school spells, for example if you have sf for both.
    A 204 contention

Wrong. All of the Spell Focus (alignment) feats include the same line: "This bonus does not stack with any other bonus from Spell Focus feats."

Bonus from the same sources don't stack, even if untyped. All of the Spell Focus feats are considered the same source.
    Only the bonus from Greater Spell Focus do stack with Spell Focus.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

4. - Top - End - #454

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 204

Do different Spell Focus increases to DC stack? If I have SF (Enchantment) and SF (Evil), and I cast an Enchantment spell with the Evil descriptor, does the DC increase by one, or two?
    Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    A 204 contention

Wrong. All of the Spell Focus (alignment) feats include the same line: "This bonus does not stack with any other bonus from Spell Focus feats."

Bonus from the same sources don't stack, even if untyped. All of the Spell Focus feats are considered the same source.
    Only the bonus from Greater Spell Focus do stack with Spell Focus.
    A 204 Further Commentary

The Spell Focus feat does not apply to spells with a particular descriptor, such as Evil. It applies only to "the school of magic you select." Descriptors do not denote schools of magic.

There's also this passage.

You can gain this feat multiple times. Its effects do not stack. Each time you take the feat, it applies to a new school of magic.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Titan in the Playground

A 204 further info Spell focus (alignment) does exist, and applies to spells with that descriptor. You are right, though, it too explicitly says it doesn't stack with other spell foci:

Quote Originally Posted by complete divine p22
    Add +1 to the DC for all saving throws against any of your spells that have an alignment descriptor (chaos, evil, good, or lawful) that matches your alignment. This bonus does not stack with any other bonus from Spell Focus feats.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

6. - Top - End - #456

Chimera

Q 207 the dmg gives rules for spell research, that being that a new spell takes 1000 GP and one week per spell level, addition to a DC 10 + spell level spellcraft check. How long/how expensive is it to research a cantrip? The DC for a spellcraft check would be 10 likely but can you create a cantrip as a standard action with a DC 10 spellcraft check? Rai it would likely be spell level 1/2 in which case it would take 3.5 (heh) days and 500 GP but I don’t know if there are rules for this.
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-06-15 at 07:17 PM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Titan in the Playground

A 207 Your assessment of the situation is accurate. Generally speaking, when using formulae that have a spot for spell slot like creating wands, a cantrip/orison is treated as 1/2 a 1st. While there isn't a rule explicitly stating this in this instance, it's a reasonable extrapolation in actual play.

Iron Chef Medals!

8. - Top - End - #458
    Halfling in the Playground

Q208

The binder needs to draw a summoning circle, a process that takes 1 minute to complete, and then must then activate it as a full round action within a minute of the circles completion.

Does the drawing of a summoning circle need to be continuous, or can I break it up into smaller pieces. Say, I'm preparing for the morning, and im halfway through making a circle, can I pause and help an ally put on armour, then return to continue the drawing of the circle?

If so, is it possible to say, carry preprepared scrolls which unfold into near complete circles, each requiring only a single round of drawing to complete, to be able to summon and bind a vestige hastily when needed?

9. - Top - End - #459
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NCat View Post
    Q208

The binder needs to draw a summoning circle, a process that takes 1 minute to complete, and then must then activate it as a full round action within a minute of the circles completion.

Does the drawing of a summoning circle need to be continuous, or can I break it up into smaller pieces. Say, I'm preparing for the morning, and im halfway through making a circle, can I pause and help an ally put on armour, then return to continue the drawing of the circle?
    It requires concentration, so no. If you stop concentrating, you have to start over.

Quote Originally Posted by NCat View Post
    If so, is it possible to say, carry preprepared scrolls which unfold into near complete circles, each requiring only a single round of drawing to complete, to be able to summon and bind a vestige hastily when needed?
    This, however, is possible. Such a scroll is known as a seal of the spirit, and the details for it can be found on page 77.

10. - Top - End - #460

Q 209

Probably a "specific trumps general" question, but anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by Erudite
    An erudite can learn discipline powers only by directly learning a power from another's repertoire, learning it from a power stone, or taking the Expanded Knowledge feat (EPH 46). In any case, an erudite can learn a discipline-only power only if it is up to 1 level lower than the highest level power he can manifest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Chirurgery
    Transfer Knowledge
    If desired, you can use this power to directly transfer knowledge of a power you know to another psionic character. You can give a character knowledge of a power of any level that she can manifest, even if the power is not normally on the character’s power list. Knowledge of powers gained through psychic chirurgery does not count toward the maximum number of powers a character can know per level.
    Can an erudite gain knowledge of new powers through psychic chirurgery, including discipline-only powers?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

11. - Top - End - #461

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Q 59 Are there any other options for interdimensional storage outside of the usual portable hole, handy haversack, bag of holding, enveloping pit, gloves of storing set? I know spells like hidden chest and hoard gullet exist as well as a 3.0 merchant cleric prestige class that had a storage space of unspecified size that just kinda follows you around but i’m looking for something else. Mainly i’m looking for a way to store a couple spell books and miscellaneous important items in a place where I don’t need to worry about dispelling or items being confiscated. My current solution is eating my spell books to send them to a hoard gullet after preparing spells but i’m looking for something less vulnerable to dispelling and less disgusting.

Also I know Eidetic spellcaster exists and i’m sure I could convince a DM to let me trade Archivist Dark Knowledge and Scribe Scroll for that on Archivist and the normal combo on Wizard, but I’d like other options, especially because I’d like to take aligned spellcaster.
    A 59
    Yeah, that's an oldie and I don't even know if the OP is still around, but I've found a different answer than the one I'd given at the time, so it's mostly for the record:

The WotC Website had several articles for expanded classes, including ACF for psions. Among them:

Quote Originally Posted by WotC Website
    Personal Space
    You have an extradimensional storage pocket available.
    Class: Nomad.
    Level: 1st.
    Replaces: The bonus feat at 1st level.
    Benefit: You gain an extradimensional storage space within your body. You can access it as a psi-like ability by expending your psionic focus. You may send an item to it or retrieve an item as you wish. The size of the storage space grows with your own power. At 1st level it is equivalent to a belt pouch, at 5th level it equals a sack, at 10th level it is the size of a backpack, at 15th level it is the size of a chest, and at 20th level it is the size of a Medium creature.

You cannot store anything that has extradimensional properties, such as a bag of holding , within your personal space. Any attempt will fail.
    That description, I note, isn't entirely clear whether the progression is by character levels or class levels.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

12. - Top - End - #462

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    A 59
    Yeah, that's an oldie and I don't even know if the OP is still around, but I've found a different answer than the one I'd given at the time, so it's mostly for the record:

The WotC Website had several articles for expanded classes, including ACF for psions. Among them:

That description, I note, isn't entirely clear whether the progression is by character levels or class levels.
    Thanks. That’s a neat ACF
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

13. - Top - End - #463

BardGuy

I've noticed an interesting tidbit in the descriptions of clerics, druids, and paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Clerics
    A cleric who grossly violates the code of conduct required by his god loses all spells and class features, except for armor and shield proficiencies and proficiency with simple weapons. He cannot thereafter gain levels as a cleric of that god until he atones (see the atonement spell description).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Druids
    A druid who ceases to revere nature, changes to a prohibited alignment, or teaches the Druidic language to a nondruid loses all spells and druid abilities (including her animal companion, but not including weapon, armor, and shield proficiencies). She cannot thereafter gain levels as a druid until she atones (see the atonement spell description).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Paladins
    A paladin who ceases to be lawful good, who willfully commits an evil act, or who grossly violates the code of conduct loses all paladin spells and abilities (including the service of the paladin’s mount, but not weapon, armor, and shield proficiencies). She may not progress any farther in levels as a paladin. She regains her abilities and advancement potential if she atones for her violations (see the atonement spell description), as appropriate.
    Q 210
    Do clerics and druids regain the lost abilities from their previous levels after atoning?
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

14. - Top - End - #464
    Titan in the Playground

A 210 Yes. ten characters

Quote Originally Posted by Atonement
    Restore Cleric or Druid Spell Powers
    A cleric or druid who has lost the ability to cast spells by incurring the anger of his or her deity may regain that ability by seeking atonement from another cleric of the same deity or another druid. If the transgression was intentional, the casting cleric loses 500 XP for his intercession. If the transgression was unintentional, he does not lose XP.

Iron Chef Medals!

15. - Top - End - #465

Q 211

Assuming that the psionic-magic transparency rule is in effect, can a ring of spell storing also store a manifested psionic power of the appropriate level directed at it?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Q 212

Can a swarm use Personal psionic powers, or does it count as being "a fixed number of targets"?
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

Q 213

Can an ethereal creature use a targeted dispel magic against an abjuration effect created on the Material Plane?

Background: per ethereal jaunt, "abjurations affect an ethereal creature normally. Their effects extend onto the Ethereal Plane from the Material Plane, but not vice versa." So a Material abjuration's effect is in the Ethereal but its point of origin is not. That means an Ethereal caster couldn't area-dispel a Material abjuration, which affects "each ongoing area or effect spell whose point of origin is within the area of the dispel magic spell ..." But for targeted dispelling, I don't see the text leaning in one direction or the other.

For ease of reference, ethereal jaunt and dispel magic.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #468

Chimera

Q 214 Can you choose to suppress always on SU abilities that don’t say anything on the subject? I know elves can turn off their immunity to sleep to allow sleep spells to effect them but I don’t know how it works in general.

Say for example if you’re a Knight of the Thorn 3 with aura of terror can you turn off the dark letters spelling out “MENACING” floating behind your head?
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

19. - Top - End - #469
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Q215: For the 3.0 prestige class Weapon Master from Sword and Fist, the text of the Ki Damage ability states that it is always in effect when applicable, but the table gives a number of uses per day. Is this a case of text trumps table, or is perhaps the table information being additional clarification, not direct conflict?

20. - Top - End - #470
    Titan in the Playground

A 214 No. This is a perennial issue for characters with auras, stench, and the like. In terms of practically solving this problem, the typical way of resolving this is when you and your party wake up for the day after preparing spells, just get them in close so they make the save vs your aura of terror and are then immune for the rest of the day.

A 215 Text always trumps table. This is just a specific occurrence of primary source always being dominant. Since the text is always the primary source, when there is a conflict, it's the only thing that actually matters.

Iron Chef Medals!

21. - Top - End - #471
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

A 215 contention?

I don't think there is a conflict here, though. The text doesn't say "whenever you score a hit", and clearly references "using" the ability. The text simply describes the function of the ability, and makes no claim as to how often it can be used. That info is supplied by the table. This isn't rainbow servant. The books are filled with such cases. I'd say that the lack of explicit claim as to how often the ability can be used by the text means that the table stands.

This is of course, the RAW answer for the RAW thread. The absolute majority of tables wouldn't even delve into this discussion, and simpluy accept the clear RAI - the ability can be used once per level per day.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

22. - Top - End - #472

Q216

Does a morale bonus to all saves, like that granted by the spell conviction, stack with a morale bonus to (subset of saves), such as inspire courage morale bonus against fear?

Or more in general, do (same type) bonuses to (different things) that (both apply to the same roll) stack? I always assumed no because of the same type, but now I got a doubt.

another example : cobalt power grants an insight bonus to damage rolls when making power attack, knowledge devotion is an insight bonus to damage rolls, period. the doubt here is "cobalt power increases power attack"

23. - Top - End - #473
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 216 No. What matters is what is immediately after the "to". A "morale bonus to all saves" is a "morale bonus to Will", a "morale bonus to Fortitude" and a "morale bonus to Reflex". They don't stack with a "morale bonus to Will saves against fear" since they apply to the same thing, the Will save. On the other hand, a morale bonus to Strength (Rage spell) stacks with a morale bonus to attack rolls, since they don't apply to the same thing, even though the end result is to increase the attack roll.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

24. - Top - End - #474

Q217 does dread stack with bane?

Q218Can a 6th level or higher kensai add epic weapon qualities to his signature weapon?

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Q 217 (clarification) From the context, I assume "dread" is also a spell. What book is it in?

Iron Chef Medals!

26. - Top - End - #476

Q217 clarification : does the dread epic weapon property stack with the normal weapon property bane?

https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/weapons.htm
    Last edited by ciopo; 2022-06-20 at 11:40 AM.

27. - Top - End - #477
    Titan in the Playground

A 217 Both bonuses are untyped and from different sources, so there's no reason they wouldn't.

Iron Chef Medals!

28. - Top - End - #478

Chimera

Q 218 The Knight of the Thorn PrC uses this wording for the Aura of Terror feature
    Quote Originally Posted by Aura of Terror
    Creatures withing 10 feet of the knight must make successful Will saves (DC 10 + the knight's level + his Cha modifier) or become shaken. A creature that successfully saves is immune to that knight's aura of terror for one day.
    I originally assumed that this save DC was 10 + class level + Cha mod but does this wording mean it’s 10 + character level + Cha mod? If so that would be kinda ridiculous. As a side note this effect doesn’t give a duration I assume it’s just save at the start of the turn or shaken for 1 round.
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-06-20 at 02:13 PM.

29. - Top - End - #479
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

A 218

Unless otherwise noted or clearly inferred, "level" in class features references class level.

As for duration - I'd assume it's as long as the enemy is within the aura, but I'm unsure. No concrete answer from me on that.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

30. - Top - End - #480

Q 219

Damn, I hate when I have to do that, but both my memory and my Google-fu are completely failing me:

I know there is playable race, looking like bald humans but in fact aberrations (NOT Elan) and with three consciousness giving them psionic powers. I just can't find the name nor the book they come from. Please help.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature