New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 51 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Q 226 Can remove disease cure things like cancer or genetic disorders?
    A 226
    It depends on how they are considered in game terms. Note that the definition of "disease" in D&D is rather broad. The spell remove disease works on parasitic infestations, can heal drug addictions (Book of Vile Darkness) and even some form of insanity.

Now, genetic disorders, if they are part of a race, a trait, a feat or a flaw, certainly won't be affected by remove disease (and the character certainly wouldn't want to if gaining benefits from them).
    Last edited by St Fan; 2022-12-04 at 03:59 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #512

Q 234

Quote Originally Posted by Spring Attack
    When using the attack action with a melee weapon, you can move both before and after the attack, provided that your total distance moved is not greater than your speed. Moving in this way does not provoke an attack of opportunity from the defender you attack, though it might provoke attacks of opportunity from other creatures, if appropriate. You can't use this feat if you are wearing heavy armor.

You must move at least 5 feet both before and after you make your attack in order to utilize the benefits of Spring Attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Snap Kick
    When you make a melee attack with one or more melee weapons (including a standard attack, full attack, or even a strike maneuver), you can make an additional attack at your highest attack bonus. This attack is an unarmed attack that deals damage equal to your base unarmed attack damage + 1/2 your Str bonus. You take a -2 penalry on all attack rolls you make this round.
    Looking closely, I don't see anything in RAW that would prevent using those two feats in tandem. However, I need some precision.

A) If you use both Spring Attack and Snap Kick the same round, can the snap kick happen before the move? After the move? Or need it be at the same time as the melee attack granted by the spring attack?

B) Even if the response to A) is the third proposition, does the snap kick need to have same target as the spring attack? Or can it be another opponent that just happens to be in range?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2022-07-04 at 05:30 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

3. - Top - End - #513
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Q235
    9th lvl Duskblade (BAB 9/4) decides to use their Quick Cast ability to cast True Strike before attacking. Can he use the +20 from True Strike to apply to his 2nd attack instead of his first?

4. - Top - End - #514
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A235 No, unless the quick cast is used between the attacks - true strike always applies to the next attack roll.

5. - Top - End - #515

Q236
    Does casting Silence from a wand at a point in space that would include an enemy in its AoE break Invisibility?
    Currently Playing:
    -

6. - Top - End - #516
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

A236
    RAW yes. Even Detect Magic yes.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

7. - Top - End - #517
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 234

Looking closely, I don't see anything in RAW that would prevent using those two feats in tandem. However, I need some precision.

A) If you use both Spring Attack and Snap Kick the same round, can the snap kick happen before the move? After the move? Or need it be at the same time as the melee attack granted by the spring attack?

B) Even if the response to A) is the third proposition, does the snap kick need to have same target as the spring attack? Or can it be another opponent that just happens to be in range?
    The two attacks happen at the same time; you move, then attack (and get an extra attack), then move. You can target two different creatures, but only the main target will be unable to make AoOs against you during your movement.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 237

Is "+1 CL" granted power of some domains (such as Chaos) adds CL to SLA (presuming they fit the domain's criteria), or only to spells?

9. - Top - End - #519
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A237 It says spells. SLAs‚ though they behave as spells when taking effect‚ are not cast as spells.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    A237 It says spells. SLAs‚ though they behave as spells when taking effect‚ are not cast as spells.
    Then what's about the deity's Spell-Like Abilities? Do you mean they can't benefit from their own domains? (Not all deities have levels in spellcasting classes)

11. - Top - End - #521
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Then what's about the deity's Spell-Like Abilities? Do you mean they can't benefit from their own domains? (Not all deities have levels in spellcasting classes)
    Well‚ sadly no. But I'm pretty sure gods rarely have to worry about having too little power‚ especially if the power is only a +1 to caster level.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2022-07-07 at 06:58 AM.

12. - Top - End - #522

Q 238

Most spells, including emanations, don't care if the caster is still alive, right?

So, if a wizard who'd cast antimagic field is killed, the field continue emanating from the body for its normal duration?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    Q 238

Most spells, including emanations, don't care if the caster is still alive, right?

So, if a wizard who'd cast antimagic field is killed, the field continue emanating from the body for its normal duration?
    A? 238

Wouldn't think so, for an emanation centered on "you". I don't think your corpse qualifies as "you".
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

14. - Top - End - #524
    Titan in the Playground

A 238 (correction) No, they don't. If they don't require continuous action from the caster, such as being duration (concentration) for example, they will run out to their normal duration even if the caster is killed prior to then. In the example AMF, it radiates out from the caster's corpse until the time runs out. Like anything else, it just checks variables when the spell is cast, not afterwards.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

15. - Top - End - #525
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A 238 (correction) No, they don't. If they don't require continuous action from the caster, such as being duration (concentration) for example, they will run out to their normal duration even if the caster is killed prior to then. In the example AMF, it radiates out from the caster's corpse until the time runs out. Like anything else, it just checks variables when the spell is cast, not afterwards.
    If that was true, emanations wouldn't move with the caster. Every round, they emanate from where she is. If she plane shifts while emanating something, the emanation shifts with her - meaning, it is no longer where she was, only where she is.

And undoubtedly, if she dies she is not there, is she? She moved to another plane, usually.
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; 2022-07-07 at 11:54 AM.

16. - Top - End - #526
    Dwarf in the Playground

A Pyrokineticist has the abilities Hand Aflame and Weapon Aflame. Both require a move action to activate, but have no listed duration.

Q239a) Once activated, how long do these abilities last?
    Q239b) The fire damage applies to all attacks during the duration, correct?
    Q239c) Is there anything preventing a Monk/Pyrokineticist from activating both the Hand Aflame and Weapon Aflame abilities on an Unarmed Strike, thus gaining +4d6 fire damage?

As an aside, Sonokineticists are a cool image, especially with Heat Death as Destructive Resonance. Combat not-Bards?
    Avatar by the gracious and talented smutmulch!

17. - Top - End - #527
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Q 240

Is there any RAW either way that lycanthropes can or cannot be were-swarms? I.e. could a character be a Human Were-Rat Swarm?

18. - Top - End - #528
    Ettin in the Playground

A 240

Since swarms considered a single creature for the most purposes - yes, in theory there can be a were-swarm (even if unclear how the hybrid form should look like)
    But Humans are Medium, and Rats - Tiny; base creature and base animal should be within one size category.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Firbolg in the Playground

(even if unclear how the hybrid form should look like)
    (A240+: It is quite clear:
    Attacks: (…) A lycanthrope in hybrid form gains two claw attacks and a bite attack as natural weapons.

[…]

Special Qualities: A lycanthrope retains all the special qualities of the base creature and the base animal, and also gains those described below.

Alternate Form (Su): (…) A lycanthrope also can assume a bipedal hybrid form with prehensile hands and animalistic features.
    It would have two legs, two clawed, prehensile hands, a head and animalistic features.)

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    (A240+: It is quite clear:

It would have two legs, two clawed, prehensile hands, a head and animalistic features.)
    And swarm traits. Which, pretty weird.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

21. - Top - End - #531
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MornShine View Post
    A Pyrokineticist has the abilities Hand Aflame and Weapon Aflame. Both require a move action to activate, but have no listed duration.

Q239a) Once activated, how long do these abilities last?
    Q239b) The fire damage applies to all attacks during the duration, correct?
    Q239c) Is there anything preventing a Monk/Pyrokineticist from activating both the Hand Aflame and Weapon Aflame abilities on an Unarmed Strike, thus gaining +4d6 fire damage?

As an aside, Sonokineticists are a cool image, especially with Heat Death as Destructive Resonance. Combat not-Bards?
    A. Indefinitely, or until you let go of the weapon.
    B. Only attacks with that weapon.
    C. Weapon afire calls for a held weapon. Unarmed strikes are not considered to be held.

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 240

Is there any RAW either way that lycanthropes can or cannot be were-swarms? I.e. could a character be a Human Were-Rat Swarm?
    Here's the relevant text.
    The lycanthrope takes on the characteristics of some type of carnivorous or omnivorous creature of the animal type (referred to hereafter as the base animal).

This animal can be any predator, scavenger, or omnivore whose size is within one size category of the base creature’s size (Small, Medium, or Large for a Medium base creature).
    A swarm of rats is composed of 300 rats that take actions as though they were a single creature. However, the "type of carnivorous or omnivorous creature" in this case is still a rat. Lycanthropy only checks the species, not the population size.

Just as a werewolf bitten by a werebear, weretiger, weregorilla, and werehawk doesn't split into a squad of five Andalite Bandits every full moon, being bitten by multiple rats is not meaningfully different than being bitten by one rat.

And swarm traits. Which, pretty weird.
    In the hypothetical case where this was possible, no, you would not gain swarm traits, since your transformation does not allow you to gain any subtypes of the new form (other than the aquatic subtype).
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2022-07-09 at 12:40 PM.

22. - Top - End - #532

Q 241

For the Item Familiar rules, is it the character level that is used, or the effective character level?

Could a character with a +2 level adjustment take the feat at level 1?

Would she loose XP as if 2 levels higher if separated from the item?

Could she take the special abilities sooner?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

23. - Top - End - #533
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 241 Regular level, as in number of HD. Level adjustment has zero effect in game except for calculating XP and calculating when going from one level to the next. The item familiar gains sapience when the character reaches level 7, or ECL 9 in your case. You lose XP relative to your HD, not counting LA.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2022-07-09 at 05:07 PM.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    Level adjustment has zero effect in game except for calculating XP and calculating when going from one level to the next.
    Also - WbL, and when the character becomes [epic]

25. - Top - End - #535
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Also - WbL, and when the character becomes [epic]
    WBL - yes, when the character becomes [epic] - no.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    WBL - yes, when the character becomes [epic] - no.
    Oh, come on!
    It's in the ELH itself:
    For example, a creature with a level adjustment of +5 who is also a 13th-level fighter/3rd-level blackguard is ECL 21 and eligible to select an epic feat provided he meets the prerequisites.

27. - Top - End - #537
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Q242

A rogue trades out Evasion for Spell Reflection at lvl 2. When they get to the level to purchase Rogue Bonus Abilities, if they buy Imp. Evasion, it just becomes Evasion.

Can they then bump it up to Imp. Evasion the next time they get a Rogue Bonus Ability and spend it on that?

28. - Top - End - #538
    Titan in the Playground

A 242 When you buy improved evasion the first time, it's just improved evasion. It is not downgraded to evasion.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

29. - Top - End - #539

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Q242

A rogue trades out Evasion for Spell Reflection at lvl 2. When they get to the level to purchase Rogue Bonus Abilities, if they buy Imp. Evasion, it just becomes Evasion.

Can they then bump it up to Imp. Evasion the next time they get a Rogue Bonus Ability and spend it on that?
    A 242
    I don't think there's a RAW answer, but I doubt you can take twice the same Rogue special ability, so I would say it won't work.

You can, however, still obtain Improved Evasion from a different source, like with levels in Thief-Acrobat.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #540
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A 242 When you buy improved evasion the first time, it's just improved evasion. It is not downgraded to evasion.
    CM states from Spell Reflection though: "(If you would later gain improved evasion as a special ability, you gain evasion instead.)