New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728293031323348 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Q 298

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Warrior
    Perfect Two-Weapon Fighting [Epic]
    You can attack with your off-hand weapon as frequently as with your primary weapon.

Prerequisite
    Greater Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, Two-Weapon Fighting, DEX 25,

Benefit
    When making a full attack, you can make as many attacks with your off-hand weapon as with your primary weapon, using the same base attack bonus. For example, a character with this feat and a base attack bonus of +18/+13/+8/+3 could make four attacks per round with his primary weapon and four attacks per round with his off-hand weapon, using the same set of base attack bonuses. You still take the normal penalties for fighting with two weapons.

Normal
    Without this feat, you can only make a single attack with an off-hand weapon during a full attack (or two attacks with an off-hand weapon if you have Improved Two- Weapon Fighting, or three attacks with an off-hand weapon if you have Greater Two-Weapon Fighting).
    A) At first glance, this epic feat is just the last upgrade to the Two-Weapon Fighting line, but looking closely, it does more than that... if you make a bonus attack, any bonus attack, with your primary weapon during a full-attack action, you can make an off-hand attack too, I am right?

You have a bonus attack thanks to haste, you can make another off-hand attack.

You have a bonus attack through flurry of blows, you can make another off-hand attack.

You use the Flashing Sun maneuver, you can make another off-hand attack.

B) I wonder if it would work with unarmed attacks, however. Or do you need absolutely to have a weapon?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #662
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q299
    Can you stand up from prone when reduced to zero movement speed from the stone vise maneuver for example?
    Last edited by Gorthawar; 2022-08-25 at 04:10 AM.

3. - Top - End - #663

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gorthawar View Post
    Q299
    Can you stand up from prone when reduced to zero movement speed from the stone vise maneuver for example?
    A 299
    Yes.
    Having a movement speed of 0 does not prevent you from taking a move action. Standing up from prone is a move-equivalent action that uses 0 feet of movement.
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 300
    Are reserve feats like fiery burst subject to spell resistance? Do they work in an AMF?

Please visit and review my System.
    Generalist Sorcerer

5. - Top - End - #665

BardGuy

A 300
    Reserve feats are supernatural abilities, meaning they are not subject to spell resistance but do not function in an antimagic field.

6. - Top - End - #666
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q301: the brutal strike feat, in PHB2, says in the short description at page 72: daze opponent with successful attack.
    the feat description, though, at page 76, says that the opponent that fails a saving throw is sickened.
    which of the two is correct?

Q302: the spell wings of flurry, from races of the dragon, deals 1d6 per caster level. period. no maximum amount.
    I've never seen a 4th level spell without a damage cap, generally of 15d6. is that spell a mistake? perhaps with an errata corrige later?

EDIT: Q303: I remember seeing a feat that let a caster bypass cold damage reduction for his cold damage spells. but I don't remember what it was, or from which source. can someone point it out to me?

Q304: are there ways to counterspell as immediate action without preparing for it first? I mean, instead of preparing an action to counterspell, as you see a spell cast you decide to counterspell as immediate action
    Last edited by King of Nowhere; 2022-08-26 at 05:19 AM.
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    Q301: the brutal strike feat, in PHB2, says in the short description at page 72: daze opponent with successful attack.
    the feat description, though, at page 76, says that the opponent that fails a saving throw is sickened.
    which of the two is correct?

Q302: the spell wings of flurry, from races of the dragon, deals 1d6 per caster level. period. no maximum amount.
    I've never seen a 4th level spell without a damage cap, generally of 15d6. is that spell a mistake? perhaps with an errata corrige later?
    A 301
    Text trumps table. The feat description is correct.

A 302
    There is no errata capling Wings of Flurry. Whether or not it is a "mistake" is outside the scope of this thread.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

EDIT: Q303: I remember seeing a feat that let a caster bypass cold damage reduction for his cold damage spells. but I don't remember what it was, or from which source. can someone point it out to me?
    A 303
    The piercing cold metamgic feat, from Frostburn, lets spells overcome cold resistance.

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

9. - Top - End - #669

BardGuy

Q304: are there ways to counterspell as immediate action without preparing for it first? I mean, instead of preparing an action to counterspell, as you see a spell cast you decide to counterspell as immediate action
    A 304

Reactive Counterspell lets you counterspell once per round without having a readied action to do so.
    Epic Counterspell lets you counterspell without a readied action any number of times per round.

10. - Top - End - #670

Q305:

what does "and others", "any others" mean in the perform prerequisites of Races of faerun classes spellsinger, warrior skald? would perform(dance) qualify?

11. - Top - End - #671
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by ciopo View Post
    Q305:

what does "and others", "any others" mean in the perform prerequisites of Races of faerun classes spellsinger, warrior skald? would perform(dance) qualify?
    A 305
    This prerequisite refers to the way perform worked in 3.0 - where every point also bought a new type of performance. Back in 3.0, entering the class would only require 9 ranks of perform. I'd say it's sensible to only require 9 points of perform (sing). Or perhaps perform (oratory)?
    If you want to be on the safe side, and have two types of perform - than sure, take dance. But I think most DMs would let you off the hook with just one.

My judgments and medals!

12. - Top - End - #672

Q306:

Can a druid without the natural spell feat cast a quickened spell while wild shaped?

Q307:

Can druidic be learned by a human paragon if they take speak langauge as one of their class skills?
    Last edited by ciopo; 2022-08-28 at 09:51 AM.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 306 No, why would they ? It's not a question of concentration, it's a question of being able to precisely move your fingers and form words. If your natural form is nonhuman-like and you have the Surrogate Spellcasting, I guess you could, but it has nothing to do with quickening the spell.

A 307 No, you can't learn secret languages with Speak Languages.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 308: When using the business rules from DMG2, the owner of a criminal organization rolls Intimidate for the profit check. How do the bonuses related to size difference factor into that? There doesn't seem to be a target to measure relative to.

15. - Top - End - #675

Q309

If the spell acid rain from heroes of horror is extended, does it deal damage twice, in the first and second round of the "first" effect it has? Or other such spell with duration "1 round", such as (extended) ice storm, for example
    Last edited by ciopo; 2022-08-30 at 01:48 PM.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Titan in the Playground

A 309 I couldn't find a spell called acid rain in heroes of horror. Are you referring to the one in heroes of battle, or a different spell? If so, it would deal the initial damage twice, and then make the ground soft for 2 rounds/lvl.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

17. - Top - End - #677

Chimera

Q 310 Is there any way for non-elves to get Iaijutsu focus as a class skill without a class dip, preferable with a feat? In this case specifically I'm only worried about maximum ranks
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-08-30 at 10:37 PM.
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

18. - Top - End - #678
    Titan in the Playground

A 310 No.

Incidentally, do you know of a way for elves to do this? If so, please share.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

19. - Top - End - #679

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    Q 308: When using the business rules from DMG2, the owner of a criminal organization rolls Intimidate for the profit check. How do the bonuses related to size difference factor into that? There doesn't seem to be a target to measure relative to.
    A 308: A profit check probably should not add a size difference modifier – but ask your dungeon master anyway.

For exactly the reason that you say – "There doesn't seem to be a target to measure relative to" – I believe you don't add a size difference modifier when you use Intimidate skill to make a profit check.

A profit check (according to pages 183 and 184 of the Dungeon Master's Guide II) is a monthly check that adds modifiers reflecting the circumstances of your business. Then your modified skill check score, minus 25, is multiplied by a number of gold pieces that reflect the risk of your business. During one month, you probably interact with a whole lot of people while handling your business, and some may be bigger than you and others smaller. So whose size category should your own size category be compared to? And this question becomes even more complicated if your business has employees whose size category is bigger or smaller than yours.

Not only is it hard to know who your opponent is, but a profit check doesn't even have an opponent, because it's not an opposed check.

So my judgement is that you don't add a size difference modifier to this check. On the other hand, if you and your employees all happen to tower over just about everybody who does business with you, maybe you could persuade your dungeon master that you should add some multiple of +4 to your Intimidate check.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2022-08-30 at 10:48 PM.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Q 310 Is there any way for non-elves to get Iaijutsu focus as a class skill without a class dip, preferable with a feat? In this case specifically I'm only worried about maximum ranks
    Yes, there are two feats that can do this: Academy Graduate, from a Dungeon Magazine web enhancement, and Versatile Mind, from Dragon #326.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 310 additional Skill Knowledge (UA) does that (arguably, might only work with the alternate skill system). Alternative ways to get class skills has a list of all ways to do that.

Venger, he was probably thinking of Aereni Focus.

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    A 310 additional Skill Knowledge (UA) does that (arguably, might only work with the alternate skill system). Alternative ways to get class skills has a list of all ways to do that.

Venger, he was probably thinking of Aereni Focus.
    No arguable about it..."learning" a skill is meaningless outside of the variant rule in question.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A 310 No.

Incidentally, do you know of a way for elves to do this? If so, please share.
    A 310 addendum

There are a couple of feats and a cleric ACF in Dragon Magazine, IIRC.

There's skill knowledge in Unearthed Arcana.

Elves can use Aerani Focus.

My judgments and medals!

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    No arguable about it..."learning" a skill is meaningless outside of the variant rule in question.
    The rest of the quote is "learn this skill, treating it as a class skill from this point onwards". There are always some flavor text before the actual effect of a class feature or a skill. For example, Uncanny Dodge reads "Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 2nd level, you gain the ability to react to danger before your senses would normally allow you to do so. You retain your Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if you are caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker." The first part of the ability has no mechanical meaning, so you ignore it, only the second part actually does something. Here, "learn this skill" has no mechanical meaning outside of that one specific skill system, so you ignore it, and only the second part "treating it as a class skill from this point onwards" actually does something.

Of course and as always, as I said, this is subject to interpretation.

25. - Top - End - #685

Q311

What is the difference between ability damage and temporary ability damage? Cloudkill vs rain of roses to have a ready comparison (constitution instead of wisdom notwithstanding)
    Is "temporary" meaningful at all in context?

26. - Top - End - #686
    Titan in the Playground

A 311 There is no difference.

Iron Chef Medals!

27. - Top - End - #687

Chimera

Thanks to everyone that answered my Iaijutsu question btw.
    Q 312 Is there a spell or item that can let you scry on or otherwise detect a creature under the effect of mind blank or similar nondetection effect?
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-09-01 at 06:30 PM.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 312 Discern Location works against any kind of nondetection effect except specifically Mind Blank. I don't know of any way to bypass that. You might want to check if some sort of Conjuration or Necromancy spell has a divination-adjacent effect, since Mind Blank only works against mind-affecting and divination spells (and (limited) wish and miracle).

29. - Top - End - #689
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    A 312 Discern Location works against any kind of nondetection effect except specifically Mind Blank. I don't know of any way to bypass that. You might want to check if some sort of Conjuration or Necromancy spell has a divination-adjacent effect, since Mind Blank only works against mind-affecting and divination spells (and (limited) wish and miracle).
    A312

If non-divination school spells work, then the Transuter ACF Spell Versatility might be able to get around some of Mind Blank's defenses. It would allow the Tranmuter to change a scrying-type or detection spell from Divination to Transmutation.

30. - Top - End - #690

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    A312

If non-divination school spells work, then the Transuter ACF Spell Versatility might be able to get around some of Mind Blank's defenses. It would allow the Tranmuter to change a scrying-type or detection spell from Divination to Transmutation.
    Q 313 As a rider to this question. There's no rule saying that the metamagic Song of the Dead can only be applied to a mind effecting spell. Since it turns any spell into a necromancy spell, would that let scrying or discern location work on a creature with Mind Blank?
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323