New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

A31 No, elans are not humans. They lack the human subtype.

They might, however, qualify for Human Heritage in Races of Destiny under the "human-descended race" clause. Ask your GM.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A32 "An evil monster has a taint score equal to one-half its Charisma score, with evil undead getting a +1 modifier and evil outsiders a +2 modifier." It's not "gains a taint score", it's "has a taint score". This is a continuous effect. Even if something changed your taint score while you're not an undead anymore, it would immediately go back to the base score of charisma/2 when you become undead again.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 33

RAW required to add Augmented subtype when creatures change their type (unless the specific RAW asks to don't)
    But the question is: what's about the all "2in1" templates?
    Chimeric, Symbiotic, Tauric creatures...
    "Augmented" what they should be?

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    A 23
    The RAI is rather clear here that it means only two-handed attacks. The RAW, less so, but you should note that there is a rule for the strength bonus which is much less ambiguous: "Off-hand attacks receive only one-half the character’s Strength bonus, while two-handed attacks receive one and a half times the Strength bonus."

Power Attack is clearly meant to give a double bonus on those same conditions. So, using a lance (or other tricks to use a two-handed weapon one-handed, such as Monkey Grip) don't give the double bonus.
    That's all very well, but this is the RAW thread, and that is an RAI answer. And one could even argue that there is no RAI here, since there's no evidence the writers considered the scenario of using Power Attack with a mounted lance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Q 34 Are there any easy ways of counting as casting a higher level spell than you should be able too. I know of Earth Spell, Sanctum Spell, Improved Sigil Krau, and debatably heighten spell + metamagic reducers, but i’m looking for some others. I have the minimum CL issue taken care of but shoving the rest into a crafting build is proving difficult. (Can’t be Illumian and sanctum doesn’t work because it’s too situational, earth spell would but not enough feats)

Also if this isn’t the right place to ask this just let me know.
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-01-05 at 01:53 AM.

6. - Top - End - #66

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Khedrac View Post
    I don't know what "ritual transference" is, so I don't know if it affects this.
    Ritual transference allows other characters to supply their experience points for an item that you have the feats and spell requirements for. With 8 ranks of knowledge arcana or religion, it also allows another character to supply the spell requirement for an item that you otherwise meet the prerequisites for.
    Presumably, of the requirements for the item were listed as "scribe scroll, energy substitution, and fireball" rather than "scribe scroll, energy substituted fireball," it should be valid.

A 24 No

I am pretty certain that when creating a magic item of the spell "cold-substituted fireball" that is the spell that needs to be supplied (daily) during the creation process.
    Q 35
    Is there some sort of cooperative casting feat that allows one caster to apply metamagic to another caster's spells?

Q 36
    Can a metamagic rod be used in item creation to apply metamagic to a created item?
    Last edited by Vaern; 2022-01-05 at 05:46 AM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 36 Yes but it will use up one daily charge of the rod.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q37: prismatic wall stops all spells, but is defeated by disjunction.
    If there are my enemies on the other side of a prismatic wall, and I cast disjunction on my side (i assume the "stops spells" prevents me from trying to cast disjunction on the other side of the wall, right?), it dissolves the wall, but does it also affect the enemies? Or the wall gets dispelled, but still protects everything behind it?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    Q37: prismatic wall stops all spells, but is defeated by disjunction.
    If there are my enemies on the other side of a prismatic wall, and I cast disjunction on my side (i assume the "stops spells" prevents me from trying to cast disjunction on the other side of the wall, right?), it dissolves the wall, but does it also affect the enemies? Or the wall gets dispelled, but still protects everything behind it?
    Unlike fireball and lightning bolt, there's no clause in disjunction that allows it to continue past barriers that it destroys. It will destroy the wall, but it won't affect enemies on the other side.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Q 038

Question about the Entomanothrope template, and feats. The template states "Add the base vermin's feats (if any) to the base creature's". The vast majority of Vermin have no feats, by virtue of being mindless, except for the odd bonus feat.

However, the base creature (humanoid or giant) gets the HD of the vermin in question.

Do they get feats at the normal rate (1 per 3 HD) for these HD, because they do have an Int score? If yes, can they select any feats they qualify for as normal, using the HD granted by the template?

11. - Top - End - #71

BardGuy

Q 39
    Can an item that casts a spell, like a wand or a scroll, be used in place of expending the spell yourself when crafting a magic item?
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vaern View Post
    Q 39
    Can an item that casts a spell, like a wand or a scroll, be used in place of expending the spell yourself when crafting a magic item?
    A 39
    Yes.
    Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

Ice for all and let no one be forgotten!
    Welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLIV: Ice-IX

Competition's medals.

13. - Top - End - #73

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    A 39
    Yes.
    Q 40
    The description of scrolls says that the type of scroll a character creates (arcane or divine) is determined by his or her class.
    Say a divine caster comes across an arcane scroll of lightning bolt. The divine caster then uses the scroll of lightning bolt with the scribe scroll feat to create a scroll of lightning bolt. Will the resulting scroll of lightning bolt be a divine spell scroll?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Q41

Is Monk of the Enabled Hand’s Dragon Tail Slap ability it’s own attack/standard action, or do you declare it, similar to Stunning Fist, and add it on o an attack you make?

15. - Top - End - #75

Chimera

Q 40
    The description of scrolls says that the type of scroll a character creates (arcane or divine) is determined by his or her class.
    Say a divine caster comes across an arcane scroll of lightning bolt. The divine caster then uses the scroll of lightning bolt with the scribe scroll feat to create a scroll of lightning bolt. Will the resulting scroll of lightning bolt be a divine spell scroll?
    A 40 The answer is that a Archivist will break down your door and steal it because he wants to take that Hexer level. :) Jokes aside I believe it would still be arcane by virtue of the spell being cast from a arcane scroll. Though I suspect someone else could provide a better answer.

Q 42 I know this question is kind of infamous but I’ve never gotten a clear answer on it, i’m not sure the designers even agreed since dragon mag entries tend to disagree on what it means. But regardless, some dragons say “X dragon also casts cleric spells and spells from the y and z domains as arcane spells”. Does a gold dragon (for example) just know all cleric spells and spells from their domains or can they just learn those spells as sorcerer spells?
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

16. - Top - End - #76

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    A 40 The answer is that a Archivist will break down your door and steal it because he wants to take that Hexer level. :) Jokes aside I believe it would still be arcane by virtue of the spell being cast from a arcane scroll. Though I suspect someone else could provide a better answer.
    The divine caster in question is an archivist, looking for some cheese to convert typically arcane spells into divine scrolls that can be scribed into his prayer book :p
    Other possible methods involve creating and utilizing a metamagic rod of alternate source spell, which an arcane caster might then use to scribe divine scrolls of their own spells.

Q 42 I know this question is kind of infamous but I’ve never gotten a clear answer on it, i’m not sure the designers even agreed since dragon mag entries tend to disagree on what it means. But regardless, some dragons say “X dragon also casts cleric spells and spells from the y and z domains as arcane spells”. Does a gold dragon (for example) just know all cleric spells and spells from their domains or can they just learn those spells as sorcerer spells?
    A 42

The sample gold dragon in the Monster Manual has shield of faith, cure moderate wounds, and searing light listed as "sorcerer spells known." Judging by this example, it appears that they are able to learn cleric and domain spells as sorcerer spells, rather than just knowing all of them automatically.
    Not sure if sample characters count as RAW, but it's the best I can think of to reference on the subject right just now.
    Last edited by Vaern; 2022-01-06 at 08:10 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

Chimera

The divine caster in question is an archivist, looking for some cheese to convert typically arcane spells into divine scrolls that can be scribed into his prayer book :p
    Other possible methods involve creating and utilizing a metamagic rod of alternate source spell, which an arcane caster might then use to scribe divine scrolls of their own spells.

A 42

The sample gold dragon in the Monster Manual has shield of faith, cure moderate wounds, and searing light listed as "sorcerer spells known." Judging by this example, it appears that they are able to learn cleric and domain spells as sorcerer spells, rather than just knowing all of them automatically.
    Not sure if sample characters count as RAW, but it's the best I can think of to reference on the subject right just now.
    A40 b additional I know we aren't suppose to carry on conversations buuuuuuut I should say that if all you want is a divine scroll of lightning bolt then just buy a scroll from an adept, they're a NPC class that exists pretty much just to sell things to PCs and get lightning bolt as a divine spell. Theres also a domain from dragon mag that has it so finding a cleric that has said domain and getting them to make a scroll for you is decently likely as well.
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-01-07 at 03:31 AM.

18. - Top - End - #78

BardGuy

Q40 b additional I know we aren't suppose to carry on conversations buuuuuuut I should say that if all you want is a divine scroll of lightning bolt then just buy a scroll from an adept, they're a NPC class that exists pretty much just to sell things to PCs and get lightning bolt as a divine spell. Theres also a domain from dragon mag that has it so finding a cleric that has said domain and getting them to make a scroll for you is decently likely as well.
    Oh, not just lightning bolt. That's just a random example. The end goal is to find a way to freely learn *any* spell, regardless of source, by simply turning it into a divine scroll that the archivist can then copy into the prayer book since they aren't strictly limited to a class list. The spell just has to be from a divine scroll.

19. - Top - End - #79

Chimera

Oh, not just lightning bolt. That's just a random example. The end goal is to find a way to freely learn *any* spell, regardless of source, by simply turning it into a divine scroll that the archivist can then copy into the prayer book since they aren't strictly limited to a class list. The spell just has to be from a divine scroll.
    A 40 c? In that case, grab leadership to get a warlock cohort. Technically there's nothing in then rules stopping them from, say, making a divine scroll of Wings of Flurry. It doesn't say what list they're drawing from, just divine or arcane. That descriptor doesn't lock it to any list strictly speaking. Alternitively alternate source spell feat on a warlock cohort (maybe tricky) can probably do it. Chameleons can do the same thing for up to 6th level spells, or higher with cheese. (In fact Chameleons are better at being a archivist than a archivist is because they do it with all spells, not just divine, but you need heavy cheese to get spells above 6th on them)

Now i should probably stop lest the mods bonk me with the conversation stick. For any more questions id recommend making a thread. There's a list of tricks as long as my arm for getting a archivist every spell in the cosmos, you can probably get psionic powers and martial scripts on there somehow.
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-01-07 at 03:31 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A41 It is like stunning fist, to quote the description:
    The monk must declare he is using a dragon's tail slap before making the attack roll (thus, a missed attack roll ruins the attempt).
    Q 40
    In which case A40 becomes N/A as the divine caster is unable to use the scroll so cannot use it to scribe a new spell.

As others have stated, if someone else activates the scroll, or UMD is employed, arcane spell makes the resulting scroll arcane. Note, this sort of trick sould result in a single scroll having a mixture of deivine and arcane spells, which I think may be against the rules thus could result in unexpected side-effects!

21. - Top - End - #81

Q 43

If a wizard casts first a summon monster spell, and then an antimagic field around herself, the later doesn't interfere with the summoning, right? Beyond a summoned monster ceasing to exist inside the field, the caster can still otherwise command to the monsters outside of it...
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

22. - Top - End - #82

BardGuy

As others have stated, if someone else activates the scroll, or UMD is employed, arcane spell makes the resulting scroll arcane.
    But the description of scrolls still says that your class determines whether the scroll is arcane or divine. There's no RAW indication that whether the spell itself is arcane or divine has any impact. Unless I've missed something, even if you use UMD to activate an arcane scroll as a divine caster to create a new scroll, there's nothing in that mix that should change the fact that archivists are divine casters and therefore create divine scrolls by RAW.
    Last edited by Vaern; 2022-01-08 at 02:25 PM.

23. - Top - End - #83

Chimera

But the description of scrolls still says that your class determines whether the scroll is arcane or divine. There's no RAW indication that whether the spell itself is arcane or divine has any impact. Unless I've missed something, even if you use UMD to activate an arcane scroll as a divine caster to create a new scroll, there's nothing in that mix that should change the fact that archivists are divine casters and therefore create divine scrolls by RAW.
    Arguably you aren’t casting it. You’re emulating a wizard casting it

I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.

24. - Top - End - #84

BardGuy

Q 43

If a wizard casts first a summon monster spell, and then an antimagic field around herself, the later doesn't interfere with the summoning, right? Beyond a summoned monster ceasing to exist inside the field, the caster can still otherwise command to the monsters outside of it...
    A 43

Yes, you can still command a summoned monster from inside an antimagic field, so long as the summoned monster stays outside the field.

Casting the Antimagic Field spell doesn't cause any monster that you have already summoned to wink out unless the monster enters the field.

It is also clear that, even if you stand inside an antimagic field, you can still command summoned monsters that are outside of the field, assuming that you give commands by speaking and the summoned monsters are able to hear you and able to understand your language. (Summoned monsters that belong to the Magical Beast type have Intelligence scores of 3 or higher, which means that they can understand the Common Tongue "unless noted otherwise.")

(It may even be possible, while you are inside an antimagic field, for a summoned creature outside the field to communicate with you telepathically – because telepathy does not explicitly require line of effect to work – but I would ask your dungeon master about this.)
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2022-01-08 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Self-correction of errors

25. - Top - End - #85

Chimera

Q 44 What book has that class/feat/ruleset for giving items mundane +5-6 enhancement bonuses to attack (and maybe to damage)? Trying to find it for item buffing purposes that doesn’t make better magic item enhancements more expensive. I know Kensai has something like that but it’s class exclusive, not something you can just buy

26. - Top - End - #86

Q 44 What book has that class/feat/ruleset for giving items mundane +5-6 enhancement bonuses to attack (and maybe to damage)? Trying to find it for item buffing purposes that doesn’t make better magic item enhancements more expensive. I know Kensai has something like that but it’s class exclusive, not something you can just buy
    A 44
    I seriously doubt any of those exist. And even if they did, please note that a "mundane" enhancement bonus still wouldn't stack with a magical enhancement bonus, being of the same type. The +1 to hit enhancement bonus of a masterwork weapon doesn't stack the first +1 magic enhancement bonus granted to a magic weapon.

And a Kensai's enhancements to a weapon are magical in nature anyway.

There is one weapon special quality from Dragon #358, Razor Sharp, that can add a +1 bonus to damage to a bladed weapon, and it's untyped. You'll find a few other non-magical weapon special qualities on this same section that are independent from magical enhancement, though they're still expensive and require a master weaponsmith.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2022-01-10 at 06:13 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

27. - Top - End - #87

Q 45

A) Putting aside the "Why?"/"What's the point?" part, is there anything stopping a Spellthief who's also a spellcaster to use the Steal Spell ability on herself? She is, after all, a willing subject...

B) Can a Spellthief use her Steal Spell ability on a spell called from the Spellpool by a Mage of the Arcane Order (during the short time window that said spell is available to cast for the Mage of the Arcane Order)?

C) Conclusion: can a gestalt/mutliclass Spellthief/Mage of the Arcane Order steal a spell called from the Spellpool from herself, thus keeping it at her disposal for one hour (the standard for a stolen spell) rather than the normal 1 minute/level for a called spell?

Q 46

First of all, a refresher:

Quote Originally Posted by Dweomerkeeper
    Supernatural Spell (Su): At 4th level, the dweomerkeeper is so attuned to the fabric of magic that she can manifest spell effects with almost no effort whatsoever. Once per day as a standard action, she can use any one spell with a casting time of up to 1 standard action as a supernatural ability. The spell chosen must be one that is currently available to the dweomerkeeper (that is, one that she has prepared or that she knows and has a spell slot of the appropriate level available to cast), but she can decide at the moment of casting to use this ability. The spell functions as it normally would and is expended normally, but the dweomerkeeper does not require any components, does not provoke attacks of opportunity, and ignores the target's spell resistance, just as if she were using a supernatural ability instead of a spell. At every even-numbered level after the 4th, the dweomerkeeper gains one additional use of this ability per day.
    A) Can a dweomerkeeper uses Supernatural Spell on a spell spontaneously cast by replacing a prepared spell slot with any ability allowing it (such as the dweomerkeeper's very Mantle of Spells, a Wizard's Spontaneous Divination ACF, or a Cleric's Spontaneous Domain ACF)?

B) Can a dweomerkeeper who's also a Mage of the Arcane Order uses Supernatural Spell on a spell called from the Spellpool when casting it?

C) Can a dweomerkeeper who's also a Spellthief uses Supernatural Spell on a spell stolen from another spellcaster at the time of casting it?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2022-01-10 at 07:50 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

28. - Top - End - #88

Q 47
    A Cleric with the Incarnum Domain (which grants the Incarnum Spellshaping feat) uses imbue with spell ability to transfer adept spirit (second-level cleric spell of the divination school, thus within parameters) to a recipient.

A) Adept spirit has the Incarnum descriptor, thus the recipient shouldn't be able to cast it without the Incarnum Spellshaping feat. However, imbue with spell ability specifies that it "transfer some of your currently prepared spells, and the ability to cast them, to a creature" (emphasis mine). Thus, does the recipient receive the Cleric's ability to cast Incarnum spells through this medium, and can normally cast adept spirit? (He sure cannot invest Essentia in it if he doesn't have an Essentia pool, but that's a different thing.)

B) If A) is true, before the recipient cast the adept spirit spell, the Cleric uses a substitue domain spell to change the Incarnum Domain for another. Can the recipient of imbue with spell ability still cast adept spirit, despite the Cleric no longer having the Incarnum Spellshaping feat? (But having it at the time imbue with spell ability was cast?)
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

A 44
    It's War of the Lance: Master (the new base class in the book) with Craftsman focus able to produce non-magical items with up to +5 to attack, ACP reduced by the same amount, or skill check bonus up to +10

30. - Top - End - #90

Chimera

A 44
    I seriously doubt any of those exist. And even if they did, please note that a "mundane" enhancement bonus still wouldn't stack with a magical enhancement bonus, being of the same type. The +1 to hit enhancement bonus of a masterwork weapon doesn't stack the first +1 magic enhancement bonus granted to a magic weapon.

And a Kensai's enhancements to a weapon are magical in nature anyway.

There is one weapon special quality from Dragon #358, Razor Sharp, that can add a +1 bonus to damage to a bladed weapon, and it's untyped. You'll find a few other non-magical weapon special qualities on this same section that are independent from magical enhancement, though they're still expensive and require a master weaponsmith.
    I actually think I might have found it. War of the Lance has rules for entirely mundane +5 weapons that can be enhanced as magic items separately. Only works to hit though. OA has Katanas that have a +2 nonmagical enhancement bonus though, and that works to hit and damage. I thought there was another one. I know the bonus doesn’t stack but that frees up actual enhancement bonuses for better things while leaving you a to hit and damage bonus. Good for -2 sword cheese.

Edit: Ninjaed, thanks Shurik

Q 45 That should work, mind the limits on spell level for spell thief though. I believe you would also be liable for paying back the loan you stole from yourself. I also suspect other MotAO would dislike you.
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-01-10 at 01:50 PM.