New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Q 59 Are there any other options for interdimensional storage outside of the usual portable hole, handy haversack, bag of holding, enveloping pit, gloves of storing set? I know spells like hidden chest and hoard gullet exist as well as a 3.0 merchant cleric prestige class that had a storage space of unspecified size that just kinda follows you around but i’m looking for something else. Mainly i’m looking for a way to store a couple spell books and miscellaneous important items in a place where I don’t need to worry about dispelling or items being confiscated. My current solution is eating my spell books to send them to a hoard gullet after preparing spells but i’m looking for something less vulnerable to dispelling and less disgusting.

Also I know Eidetic spellcaster exists and i’m sure I could convince a DM to let me trade Archivist Dark Knowledge and Scribe Scroll for that on Archivist and the normal combo on Wizard, but I’d like other options, especially because I’d like to take aligned spellcaster.
    A 59
    Not exactly what you're asking, but the Complete Arcane section on alternative spellbooks allows tattooing spells on the Wizard's body (or, technically, on other characters). Those are a lot harder to confiscate. Space is an issue, though; a Geometer would get more out of it.
    Last edited by St Fan; 2022-01-24 at 06:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

2. - Top - End - #122

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    A 59
    Not exactly what you're asking, but the Complete Arcane section on alternative spellbooks allows tattooing spells on the Wizard's body (or, technically, on other characters). Those are a lot harder to confiscate. Space is an issue, though; a Geometer would get more out of it.
    Thanks

Q 60 a
    Classes that give bonus spells of any level you can cast, Ex Dragon Disciple, often list “similar to bonus spells from a high spellcasting modifier” or something similar. By raw does this stop that old trick of Improved Sigil Krau Illumian or Earth Spell to get spell slots higher level than your suppose to have by class level? (To be clear I personally think it works just wondering if there’s a solid contradiction other than the similar to bonus spells line)

Q 60 b
    Are there any full BAB or 3/4 BAB classes, besides dragon disciple, that give a lot of those bonus spells?

Q 60 c
    I know certain classes like Eldritch Master give spell slots higher than your maximum, are there any more of those and how do they interact with classes that normally cap lower?

All of this is to say i’m contemplating playing a mystic ranger
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

A 60b No. The only class that gives dragon disciple-like bonus slots is wonderworker, which is poor ba. Eunuch warlock used to do that in 3.0, but now just advances casting normally and it was also poor ba.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

4. - Top - End - #124
    Halfling in the Playground

Q 61
    Can you deal extra ability damage with the Smite Evil ability you get by casting Visage of the Deity ? The ability reads:
    You gain the ability to smite evil (for good clerics) or good (for evil clerics) once a day.
    Add your Charisma modifier to your attack roll and your character level to your damage roll against a foe of that alignment.
    Unlike the Smite ability from the Paladin class, it does not specify the attack must be a melee one, nor that you must attack with a weapon. Can you deal extra ability damage with this ability on, say, a Ray of Stupidity ?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 62: How does LA buyoff work for increasing LA, such as Dragons or acquired templates? Is there an official ruling, or does it "default" to "buy off as you have it, if you gain more LA before the chance then you move up the schedule"? In the "defaulting" case, it looks like end up with a 3/6/9/12/15/18 setup where you end up paying 45,000 XP (2+5+8+11+14+17) for six instances of LA +1.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Dwarf in the Playground

Daemon

Q 63 Is there, in 3.5, a +1BAB class which gains +1 Divine spellcasting at 1st and 2nd level? I'm looking to put together a simple Knight of Solamnia build: something like Cleric4/Knight of the Crown1/X2/Knight of the Sword3/Knight of the Rose10.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

A 63 I assume you mean a full ba prestige class which grants either full divine or full generic spellcasting at both levels 1 and 2. If so, the answer is no.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morphic tide View Post
    Q 62: How does LA buyoff work for increasing LA, such as Dragons or acquired templates? Is there an official ruling, or does it "default" to "buy off as you have it, if you gain more LA before the chance then you move up the schedule"? In the "defaulting" case, it looks like end up with a 3/6/9/12/15/18 setup where you end up paying 45,000 XP (2+5+8+11+14+17) for six instances of LA +1.
    It doesn't. The rules in question are not designed to be used together. Either consult your DM to patch it, or pick one and don't use the other.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

A 63 contention

There are a few such classes, but they usually won't be worth the hustle, having very hard prereqs. CAdv has Folcluraharlahalrahn lyrist, Faiths and Pantheons has Windwalker, and there are probably more I can't think of right now.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Curbludgeon View Post
    Q 63 Is there, in 3.5, a +1BAB class which gains +1 Divine spellcasting at 1st and 2nd level? I'm looking to put together a simple Knight of Solamnia build: something like Cleric4/Knight of the Crown1/X2/Knight of the Sword3/Knight of the Rose10.
    Sacred Fist, Knight of the Rose, Windwalker (3.0), Hexer (3.0, hard entry), Verdant Lord (3.0, druid)
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Barbarian in the Playground

A 63 addendum
    In the Complete Mage, the abjurant champion comes with a straightforward divine adaptation, that requires no DM tinkering. I would consider it a "legal" class.

12. - Top - End - #132

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    Sacred Fist, Knight of the Rose, Windwalker (3.0), Hexer (3.0, hard entry), Verdant Lord (3.0, druid)
    A 63 Addendum Verdant Lord can technically advance non-Druid casting it’s just a pain to qualify for. Also worth noting that command plants and control plants switched names in 3.5 so the entry level is 7 not 13.
    Last edited by Jervis; 2022-02-02 at 12:11 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Q 064

I'm pretty sure there is a feat or spell that allows a Dragon to keep it's physical ability scores when it is in an alternate form, but I'm really struggling to find it.

Called something like Strength of the True Form?

My Google-fu and flicking through books has failed me.

A 064

Never mind, found it, Strength of the True Form (DoE p.15). Didn't think to look in an Eberron book.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

A 64 (expansion) There is also the feat "hidden strength" from the same book which allows you to keep some of your brute power if you need to do stuff for longer than 1 round.

Iron Chef Medals!

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Thumbs up Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A 64 (expansion) There is also the feat "hidden strength" from the same book which allows you to keep some of your brute power if you need to do stuff for longer than 1 round.
    Thank you so much! I think that is actually what I was remembering.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Q65

The BoVD sacrifice rules are capable of granting a number of spell effects. How is the CL and the Save DC for these Sacrifice Spells determined, in cases where the effect doesn't clarify?

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

A 65 (partial) While no rules for this exist, effects which specify a CL all say 20, so if you wanted an off-menu boon, it's probably reasonable to assume it's of CL 20. None of the listed effects specify a save DC, so while there's nothing to use as reference, similar rules, such as finding a given random magic item as vendor trash usually assume you should use the minimum ability score capable of casting the spell, so that's probably a safe bet here as well.

Iron Chef Medals!

18. - Top - End - #138

Q 66

When making an attack of opportunity, can a two-weapon fighter use either of her weapons? (Not just the main hand's?)

Likewise, can a creature choose any of its attack modes with an attack of opportunity? (Not just the primary?)
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

A 66 Yes and yes.

Iron Chef Medals!

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Q 067

If a Lich had levels in Monk, would it's paralyzing attack activate on an unarmed strike, or only on a special touch attack?

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

A67 Only on a special touch attack.

Iron Chef Medals!

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Q 68
    When a spell that refers to "the ability modifier you would normally use to set the save DC" (e.g. Blackwater Tentacle) is cast via spell trigger item (e.g. Staff), would the type of the ability in question be of the person who created the staff or of the person who casts the spell?
    (e.g. if a sorcerer activates staff of Blackwater Tentacle made by a wizard, do they use Charisma or Intelligence?)

23. - Top - End - #143

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by ChudoJogurt View Post
    Q 68
    When a spell that refers to "the ability modifier you would normally use to set the save DC" (e.g. Blackwater Tentacle) is cast via spell trigger item (e.g. Staff), would the type of the ability in question be of the person who created the staff or of the person who casts the spell?
    (e.g. if a sorcerer activates staff of Blackwater Tentacle made by a wizard, do they use Charisma or Intelligence?)
    A 68 They would either use their Int or the minimum Int needed to cast the spell. DM discretion. The later is based on precedent from general rules regarding spells cast from items.

I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Q 69
    If I'm welding two weapons, can I do regular iterative attacks combining different weapons without using TWF rules?
    Example. I have longsword and short sword, BAB 11/6/1. I want attack: LS +11; SS +6: LS +1.
    Last edited by loky1109; 2022-02-09 at 06:39 AM.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

A 69: Yes that is perfectly acceptable - along the lines of attack (discover DR), drop weapon, quickdraw and continue iterative attacks with new weapon.

26. - Top - End - #146

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Venger View Post
    A67 Only on a special touch attack.
    A 67 Contention
    The paralysis applied by the lich's touch attack is likely referring to the lich's built-in negative energy touch attack, which it is allowed to deliver via natural weapons.
    A monk's unarmed strikes are considered natural weapons. Therefore, the monk-lich can add the negative energy damage and, by extension, the paralyzing touch to his unarmed strikes.
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Q70 Are Dragon Shaman considered to have the Dragontouched feat like Dragonfire Adepts?

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Q70 Are Dragon Shaman considered to have the Dragontouched feat like Dragonfire Adepts?
    A 070

No. DFAs specifically get the feat as a class feature, whereas Dragon Shamans don't.

It would probably be a fine house rule to give them the feat, since they are a bit underpowered anyway

29. - Top - End - #149

Chimera

Q 71 I've seen a Marshal variant floating around called Marshal of Battle but can't find where it's from. Basically it removes the Minor Major distinction and adds new auras. Where can i find that?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Q 71 I've seen a Marshal variant floating around called Marshal of Battle but can't find where it's from. Basically it removes the Minor Major distinction and adds new auras. Where can i find that?
    Dragon #348, page 92.