New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Q72

How would the Multitasking feat work in 3.5e? Does it let the user make additional standard/move actions that involve the use of a pair of arms in general as well as the explicitly stated options - such as a marilith(or a similar monster like the Cathezar) using it to cast three SLAs per round?
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 72 Hard to say by RAW, but the wording of the feat is pretty general, so something along the lines of "you can take an additional move or standard action for each of your additional pair of arms. This action must be performed using only these arms and not necessitate concentration. Thus, you can attack with one of your pair of arms and cast a spell with the other, but not cast two spells with a verbal component, since pronouncing the incantation is not performed with your arms."
    Most SLAs are purely mental actions and are not performed with your arms, so I'd say they can't be used that way. You'll notice the feat mentions using a spell or a magic item only in conjunction with attacking, not in conjunction with another spell. The additional actions are more in the realm of "attack, perform a combat maneuver, throw an aspersion weapon or a bag of marbles, pull a nearby lever ...", maybe with something explicitly channeled by touch, like Lay on Hands or something like that.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Well now I am incredibly disappointed.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGirl

Q73 Can an arcane caster (other than sorc/wizard) get a spell permanently cast on them by if they've hired a sorc/wiz to cast the Permanency afterwards?

Like a Bard casting Tongues or Duskblade casting Detect Magic and a wizard then casting Permanency?
    Last edited by Cygnia; 2022-02-10 at 01:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

A 73 I don't have a citation, but I'm 99% sure that magic items can be made using several contributors. I'd assume that this is like that, and yes if both casters are present, it can be done.

Question 74
    How does Divine Defiance work? Does it cost a standard action, or whatever casting time the spell has?
    If the cleric has already used their standard, is Divine Defiance an option? Wassup?

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by bean illus View Post
    Question 74
    How does Divine Defiance work? Does it cost a standard action, or whatever casting time the spell has?
    If the cleric has already used their standard, is Divine Defiance an option? Wassup?
    Normally, counterspelling is a readied action. Divine Defiance allows you to spend a turn attempt to do it as an immediate action, using the normal rules for immediate actions. All the other rules for counterspelling apply; only the action required is affected.

7. - Top - End - #157

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Normally, counterspelling is a readied action. Divine Defiance allows you to spend a turn attempt to do it as an immediate action, using the normal rules for immediate actions. All the other rules for counterspelling apply; only the action required is affected.
    I don't get it. I mean, i think i get it, but am not sure.

I believe that, the counterspell/dispel must still be cast; in case of dispel magic, as a readied standard action. Can someone ready a swift action? Or does a readied swift spell take a standard action?

What if a cleric has already used their standard action this round? Can Divine Defiance be used, thereby sacrificing the next rounds standard action?

8. - Top - End - #158

Chimera

I don't get it. I mean, i think i get it, but am not sure.

I believe that, the counterspell/dispel must still be cast; in case of dispel magic, as a readied standard action. Can someone ready a swift action? Or does a readied swift spell take a standard action?

What if a cleric has already used their standard action this round? Can Divine Defiance be used, thereby sacrificing the next rounds standard action?
    That would be improved counterspell. In this case you’re kind of overthinking it. It doesn’t say you use a standard so you dont
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

9. - Top - End - #159

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    That would be improved counterspell. In this case you’re kind of overthinking it. It doesn’t say you use a standard so you dont
    Well, that's what i hoped you would say, if I'm hearing you correctly ...

With Divine Defiance, a cleric just burns the TU, and burns the Dispel Magic/etc, ... and still gets their swift, move, and standard actions? Do they even change initiative order, or isn't that also unneeded?

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

With Divine Defiance, a cleric just burns the TU, and burns the Dispel Magic/etc, ... and still gets their swift, move, and standard actions? Do they even change initiative order, or isn't that also unneeded?
    It's exactly the same as any other immediate action. You can find the rules for immediate actions here.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, you burn the turn/rebuke attempt, burn the dispel magic/etc, use your immediate for the round (which precludes you taking a swift: you can take either an immediate or a swift each round, not both) and then get whatever other actions you are normally entitled to. You do not change your initiative order.

A 73 Yes. There is no requirement in permanency that the spells you make permanent were cast by you.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cygnia View Post
    Q73 Can an arcane caster (other than sorc/wizard) get a spell permanently cast on them by if they've hired a sorc/wiz to cast the Permanency afterwards?

Like a Bard casting Tongues or Duskblade casting Detect Magic and a wizard then casting Permanency?
    A 73

The permanency spell only affects spells used by the caster. There is no provision for someone to make permanent a spell cast by someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Pemanency
    You cast the desired spell and then follow it with the permanency spell.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2022-02-11 at 01:31 AM.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    A 73

The permanency spell only affects spells used by the caster. There is no provision for someone to make permanent a spell cast by someone else.
    A 73 contention
    The sentence you're quoting only applies to the first application of Permanency (spells made permanent on yourself). There is no such restriction on the other two applications (area, objects and other people).

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q 75

Does tenser's transformation (or any other similar effect) break the epic cap on BAB and iteratives?
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 75 Yes, it does. The same way epic monsters do, you have BAB higher than 20 but only 4 attacks. Note that "Any time feat, prestige class, or other rule refers to your base attack bonus (except for gaining additional attacks), use the sum of your base attack bonus and epic attack bonus.", so this new BAB overrides your epic attack bonus. A Tenser-transformed wizard 30 would thus have +30/+25/+20/+15 to hit.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2022-02-11 at 09:07 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166

Chimera

A 75 contention Possible contention here. I don’t have one so I can’t prove it but apparently some later printings if the PHB cap it at 20. The change didn’t make it into the SRD. I can’t prove this but it’s something to keep in mind

I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 75 contention Possible contention here. I don’t have one so I can’t prove it but apparently some later printings if the PHB cap it at 20. The change didn’t make it into the SRD. I can’t prove this but it’s something to keep in mind
    Depending on the wording, that might not make any sense for epic monsters, and would definitely make no sense considering the "all mentions of BAB use the sum of BAB and EAB instead". I believe the best course of action is to ignore that rule in an epic environment. Or are you saying that Tenser's transformation and/or Divine Power cap at CL 20?

18. - Top - End - #168

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    Depending on the wording, that might not make any sense for epic monsters, and would definitely make no sense considering the "all mentions of BAB use the sum of BAB and EAB instead". I believe the best course of action is to ignore that rule in an epic environment. Or are you saying that Tenser's transformation and/or Divine Power cap at CL 20?
    I believe the change was that they cap at 20, though as I said I don’t have any of the late printings that supposedly changed it so I can’t be sure. I really need to find one of those

19. - Top - End - #169

BardGuy

I believe the change was that they cap at 20, though as I said I don’t have any of the late printings that supposedly changed it so I can’t be sure. I really need to find one of those
    Google tells me that the original 2003 printing didn't have any built-in limitations, which is the version we see on the SRD, but there was a 2012 reprint that set a maximum +20 BAB on Tenser's Transformation and Divine Power.
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Q 076

Maybe not technically a RAW question, but probably not worth its own thread: Duergar get SLAs (Enlarge Person & Invisibility), with a CL = 2x their class levels.

Is there any other playable races that use a similar mechanic, where CL for an SLA is a multiple of HD/level?

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Q 077

Another monster question - if the Half-Dragon template is applied to a mindless vermin, I assume Int remains as a non-ability, meaning it would be of the Dragon type with Int --.

Does it retain the Mindless ability of the Vermin type, or is that lost with the type change to Dragon?

22. - Top - End - #172

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    Q 077

Another monster question - if the Half-Dragon template is applied to a mindless vermin, I assume Int remains as a non-ability, meaning it would be of the Dragon type with Int --.

Does it retain the Mindless ability of the Vermin type, or is that lost with the type change to Dragon?
    A 077

Any creature with no intelligence score is mindless, regardless of type.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Intelligence: Any creature that can think, learn, or remember has at least 1 point of Intelligence. A creature with no Intelligence score is mindless, an automaton operating on simple instincts or programmed instructions. It has immunity to mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects) and automatically fails Intelligence checks.
    Last edited by Vaern; 2022-02-16 at 12:07 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

A 77 (additional) The above answer is correct, but a little elaboration on why. Null intelligence plus or minus anything is still null, since ø+ or - anything is still ø since it's not 0. It lacks any text that says "int is at least 3" such as the fiendish template, so does not rubberband intelligence up to 2.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

24. - Top - End - #174

Q 78

A) Beyond the 50% miss chance linked to incorporeality, there is nothing preventing the use of a touch spell on an incorporeal creature, right? (Meaning, touch spells are considered ordinary magical attacks...)

B) Would using a spectral hand, itself incorporeal, to deliver a touch spell on an incorporeal creature remove the 50% miss chance?
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

A 78a Yes.
    A 78b Yes.

Iron Chef Medals!

26. - Top - End - #176

Chimera

Q 79 a the feat Silver Tongue from Dragon 318 has this text in two of its bullet points.

Inspire hope or despair: With a successful diplomacy check against DC 25, you can fill a single creature with hope or despair as if affected by the good hope or crushing despair spells.

Cause Confusion: Make a diplomacy check apposed by your targets sense motive check. If you beat their check by 10 or more, you can cause them to become confused for 1 round.

Is this a spell like, supernatural, or exceptional ability and is it effected by spell resistance or mind effecting immunity?

Q 79 b What is the duration for Inspire hope or despair? I assume is the same as the spell treating your character level as the caster level but i’m not sure.

Q 79 c does Inspire Hope count as being able to cast good hope, and thus a 4th level spell, for the purposes of prerequisites?

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Q 080

The Dungeon Lord PrC has some racial entry reqs - Undead qualify. One of it's abilities, Horde Lord, says the following: "Your allies gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and damage rolls while you live and they are within the dungeon." (bolding mine).

RAW, does this mean an Undead Dungeon Lord cannot benefit from this ability? RAI I would assume the abilities would work if you exist and are not destroyed or killed, but I'm interested in the RAW reading.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

A 80
    I think yes. Or Dungeon Lord should be resurected to take benefit.
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Q 79 a the feat Silver Tongue from Dragon 318 has this text in two of its bullet points.

Inspire hope or despair: With a successful diplomacy check against DC 25, you can fill a single creature with hope or despair as if affected by the good hope or crushing despair spells.

Cause Confusion: Make a diplomacy check apposed by your targets sense motive check. If you beat their check by 10 or more, you can cause them to become confused for 1 round.

Is this a spell like, supernatural, or exceptional ability and is it effected by spell resistance or mind effecting immunity?

Q 79 b What is the duration for Inspire hope or despair? I assume is the same as the spell treating your character level as the caster level but i’m not sure.

Q 79 c does Inspire Hope count as being able to cast good hope, and thus a 4th level spell, for the purposes of prerequisites?
    a. Feats default to extraordinary unless otherwise stated, so they are extraordinary abilities. Since inspire hope or despair functions as the spell, it is also an enchantment (compulsion) [mind-affecting] effect.
    b. It is the same duration as the spell.
    c. No.

30. - Top - End - #180

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    b. It is the same duration as the spell.
    The issue in this case is that the spell has a duration based on caster level, and the feat does not specify what your caster level is for the effect.
    Monster Manual mentions in the rules for spell-like abilities that "If no caster level is specified, the caster level is equal to the creature's Hit Dice." Supernatural abilities follow a similar rule, defaulting to CL = HD unless otherwise specified.
    No default caster level is given for extraordinary abilities, though, since they don't typically replicate spell effects. But, it's probably safe to fall back on the same rule in this case.
    Last edited by Vaern; 2022-02-16 at 06:34 PM.
    "Technically correct" is the best kind of correct.