New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Q81
    The Shielding property from MiC allows one to transform a weapon into an excellent heavy steel shield. RAW, is there any way to transform it back?
    Avatar by the gracious and talented smutmulch!

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q 82

How does the savvy rogue feat from CS interact with special abilities not gained from rogue levels?

For example, Nightsong Enforcer grants opportunist and references rogue, while skill mastery, improved evasion and defensive roll are pretty common.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

3. - Top - End - #183
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

A 81
    maybe getting inside an antimagic field can temporarily turn it back into the weapon it once was, not sure if it works.

Q 83

How would the feat "Double Hit" work if you could wield one handed a spiked chain or the kusarigama from the dmg oriental style weapons, and a whip in the other hand, in regards to AoOs taken at 10'?
    When making an attack of opportunity, you may make an attack with your off hand against the same target at the same time. You must decide before your first attack roll whether you want to also use your off hand. If you do, both attacks take the standard penalties for fighting with two weapons.
    Would you get a extra attack with your whip, even though you don't threaten the enemy with it?
    am was here

4. - Top - End - #184
    Bugbear in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MornShine View Post
    Q81
    The Shielding property from MiC allows one to transform a weapon into an excellent heavy steel shield. RAW, is there any way to transform it back?
    A 81

Ask your dungeon master.

I cannot find any rule in the Magic Item Compendium that explicitly states that the Shielding property can be deactivated as well as activated.

I think it is reasonable to assume that, if you can transform a magic Shielding weapon into a magic heavy steel shield as a swift action, then you can also, if you wish, as soon as your next turn begins, transform the item back to its natural form, taking another swift action to do so. However, this is only an assumption that is nowhere explicitly stated.

There are other unanswered questions about the Shielding property. For example, when a magic Shielding weapon has been transformed into a magic heavy steel shield, does it gain the weight, the hardness, and the Hit-Points of a magic heavy steel shield, or does it still keep the weight, hardness, and Hit-Points of the weapon in its natural form? The rules don't say.

Your dungeon master needs to decide how to answer these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Pezzo View Post
    A 81
    maybe getting inside an antimagic field can temporarily turn it back into the weapon it once was, not sure if it works.
    A 81 More Commentary

Pezzo is right; an antimagic field should surely turn a Shielding weapon back into its original form. (It also robs the item temporarily of all its other magical properties.) However, this doesn't answer the question of whether you can turn a Shielding weapon back by taking another swift action to command it.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2022-02-17 at 07:42 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

A 82 There is no requirement your special abilities come from rogue. That said, you do still need a rogue level of at least 10 to take savvy rogue, so keep that in mind.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Q 84

Assuming the rest of the qualifications are met, does an ex-paladin qualify for sword of the arcane order, or similar feats requiring paladin level x?
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

A 84 Yes. ten characters
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 85 Does Implosion prevent raise dead, resurrection, reincarnate (revenance, revivify, etc) from working as the spell collapses the person?
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

9. - Top - End - #189

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Chivalry View Post
    Q 85 Does Implosion prevent raise dead, resurrection, reincarnate (revenance, revivify, etc) from working as the spell collapses the person?
    A 85

No.

Unless the corpse of a dead creature is whole, the Raise Dead spell can revive the creature only with missing parts – or it may fail altogether, for example if the corpse's head is missing or if the entire corpse has been reduced to dust.

The description of the Implosion spell does not say that the creature it kills is broken up or loses any body parts. Therefore, the corpse of a creature killed by the Implosion spell is presumably whole, despite being shrunken or misshapen. Therefore, the Raise Dead spell presumably works normally on the corpse of a creature that has been killed by the Implosion spell.

The Revenance spell, the Revive Outsider spell, and the Revivify spell all follow the rules of the Raise Dead spell, so they, too, will not fail to revive the corpse of a creature that was killed by the Implosion spell. The Reincarnate spell works "so long as some small portion of the creature’s body still exists," and the Resurrection spell works even on the remains of a creature that has been killed by the Disintegrate spell, so these two spells are also sure to work.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

A 85 It destroys the remains, so will block reincarnate, raise dead, revivify, and revenant. Resurrection and true resurrection, which do not require remains, work normally.
    EDIT: was thinking of the wrong spell
    Last edited by Venger; 2022-02-21 at 11:35 PM.

Iron Chef Medals!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright . . . that's two contradictory answers there. Not sure which way to go . . .
    Feel free to PM me if you want something PEACHed. I may not be one of the greats, but I'll do it if you ask.

"One of us is tender,
    One of us is not,
    One of us takes vengeance,
    All four tied in a knot
    "

My homebrew

(U)sually in any game situation the biggest control freak will gravitate towards the job of being the GM anyway.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

Go with Duke of Urrel because what he's saying is actually true. Implosion makes no mention of interfering with rez spells or destroying remains. I was thinking of the spell "destruction" and swapped its effect with implosion because it is on the destruction domain.

Iron Chef Medals!

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

A85
    RAW - doesn't prevent.
    RAI - of course it does!
    If you could make anything and everything welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLV: Figaro

My competition's medals.

Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

14. - Top - End - #194

Q86 How do domain features which mention cleric level interact with being granted by non-cleric classes. For instance, a Sorcerer with Domain sorcerer takes the Death domain, which grants the following power:

Granted Power: You may use a death touch once per day. Your death touch is a supernatural ability that produces a death effect. You must succeed on a melee touch attack against a living creature (using the rules for touch spells). When you touch, roll 1d6 per cleric level you possess. If the total at least equals the creature’s current hit points, it dies (no save).

Now, rules as written, you could interpret this as being that, since the sorcerer never gains any cleric levels, they will never get any number of d6's to use.

Alternatively, one could read that the feature was designed with the cleric in mind, since it wasn't expected for non-clerics to get it, so the way they wrote it doesnt properly reflect the intended design of the Domain Access sorcerer, which would be that they would use their sorcerer level instead? Maybe?

Complete divine does have a small segment on this topic, but it doesnt provide any clarification, quote:

If a noncleric enters a prestige class that allows access to a domain, the character still gains access to the domain. She can use the granted power bestowed by the domain normally.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NCat View Post
    Q86 How do domain features which mention cleric level interact with being granted by non-cleric classes. For instance, a Sorcerer with Domain sorcerer takes the Death domain, which grants the following power:

Granted Power: You may use a death touch once per day. Your death touch is a supernatural ability that produces a death effect. You must succeed on a melee touch attack against a living creature (using the rules for touch spells). When you touch, roll 1d6 per cleric level you possess. If the total at least equals the creature’s current hit points, it dies (no save).

Now, rules as written, you could interpret this as being that, since the sorcerer never gains any cleric levels, they will never get any number of d6's to use.

Alternatively, one could read that the feature was designed with the cleric in mind, since it wasn't expected for non-clerics to get it, so the way they wrote it doesnt properly reflect the intended design of the Domain Access sorcerer, which would be that they would use their sorcerer level instead? Maybe?

Complete divine does have a small segment on this topic, but it doesnt provide any clarification, quote:

If a noncleric enters a prestige class that allows access to a domain, the character still gains access to the domain. She can use the granted power bestowed by the domain normally.
    If you have no cleric levels, your effective cleric level is 0.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 86 Troacctid indeed has the RAW answer, that your cleric level is zero. Even levels in prestige classes giving access to a specific domain do not count in that regard.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

17. - Top - End - #197

Thanks for the clarification. So yeah, no missing rule text in a book somewhere, getting domains off cleric RAW is pretty sucky for some domains, but that's how it is sometimes.

18. - Top - End - #198

Quote Originally Posted by NCat View Post
    Thanks for the clarification. So yeah, no missing rule text in a book somewhere, getting domains off cleric RAW is pretty sucky for some domains, but that's how it is sometimes.
    Indeed, it's a big oversight which, if applied, forces one to select carefully select domains that are not level-dependent when picking a domain from a prestige class. Though many a GM will probably homebrew something instead.

The only ACF, as far as I know, that happens to cover it properly is the "Domain Granted Power" for Wizards from the Complete Champion:

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Champion
    So great are the extent of your study and the depth of your faith that you can call upon the power of one of your deity's domains.

Level: 5th, 10th, 15th, or 20th.

Replaces: This benefit replaces the bonus feat gained by a wizard at 5th, 10th, 15th, or 20th level.

Benefit: Choose one cleric domain. If you worship a specific deity, the domain you choose must be one to which your deity grants access. You now can use that domain's granted power as a cleric does, but you do not gain access to its spells or extra spell slots. If the granted power is based upon cleric level, it becomes instead based upon your wizard level.

Special: If you take levels in a class that grants you a domain choice (such as cleric), you gain the full benefits of the domain in addition to the other domains available to you from that class.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Q 87

Every bard spell has a verbal component (singing, reciting, or music).
    Despite what it says, there are twenty-something of Bard spells without any verbal component (for example, Hide from Dragons)
    So, what's up?
    Should those spells actually be silent - despite what's class description says - or should DM add ad-hoc verbal components "just for Bard"?

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 87 You follow the class text‚ which describes how the spells are cast. Most spells that are on multiple spell list precise that they have verbal components when cast by a bard‚ but even if they don't the sentence you quoted means you have to add the verbal component.

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

A 87 commentary

Amusingly, this also means that the assassin, which casts spells "just as a bard does," also must have a verbal component of singing, reciting, or music to cast all of their spells, despite the assassin's nominal reputation as a stealthy sort.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

22. - Top - End - #202

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ShurikVch View Post
    Q 87

Despite what it says, there are twenty-something of Bard spells without any verbal component (for example, Hide from Dragons)
    So, what's up?
    Should those spells actually be silent - despite what's class description says - or should DM add ad-hoc verbal components "just for Bard"?
    A 87

Wait a minute...

The following text appears in the SRD.

Every bard spell has a verbal component (singing, reciting, or music).
    Supposedly, the SRD text is based upon the Player's Handbook v. 3.5. However, I have the 2012 edition of this rulebook, in dot-PDF form, and I have searched it and failed to find the sentence quoted above. Instead, I found the following sentence on page 28.

Most bard spells have a verbal component (singing, reciting, or music).
    The emphasis is my own.

What shall we say when the SRD and the Player's Handbook say two different things? I say: Ask your dungeon master. For my part, I prefer to allow bards to have a few stealthy spells, and I think it would be totally wrong to deny them to assassins.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2022-02-27 at 02:26 PM.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground

Maybe too simple, but I'm a noob so I wanted to know -

Q 88

Can sorcerers/wizards use "Cure X Wounds" wands/scrolls? My first thought was no because they're divine spells, but what if a bard crafted/scribed the wand/scroll, as they cast them as arcane spells?

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

A 88

No.

Use of a scroll or a wand (or a staff) normally requires the caster to have the spell on their class spell list. In the case of scrolls, it also needs to be the correct type of magic (arcane or divine).
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

25. - Top - End - #205

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Duke of Urrel View Post
    Supposedly, the SRD text is based upon the Player's Handbook v. 3.5. However, I have the 2012 edition of this rulebook, in dot-PDF form, and I have searched it and failed to find the sentence quoted above. Instead, I found the following sentence on page 28.
    I'll have to check my older PHB when I have it on hand to see if it's different. Someone mentioned something recently (I think a little tidbit in a spell description) that said something slightly different in the newer printing which wasn't present in the original or on the SRD, so it may be the case that yours simply says something different from the printing that the SRD references. But, to my knowledge, there is exactly one bard spell without a verbal component, being Glibness, which on its own disproves the "every bard spell" statement and may be why the updated PHB says "most bard spells" (if it was, in fact, changed).

*Edit*
    The 2003 printing says "every bard spell."
    Last edited by Vaern; 2022-03-01 at 04:23 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206

Q 89

Does a construct's low-light vision double the effective range of Lifesense (LM 28)?

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

A89 no ten characters

Iron Chef Medals!

28. - Top - End - #208

BarbarianGuy

Q90: What is the challenge rating of a Half-Troll (+2 CR) Kobold (CR 1/4) Warrior 1?

Does the +2 CR of the template set the CR to 2? Or does it just increase the CR from 1/4 —> 1/3 —> 1/2?

I think CR 1/2 is the right answer, but it’s contrary to how I’ve conceptualized it for years, so would like some confirmation.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 90 CR 1/2 is the RAW answer. Obviously the CR system kind of breaks down in extreme cases, so it might be an acceptable CR 1 or CR 2 in practice.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
    Q90: What is the challenge rating of a Half-Troll (+2 CR) Kobold (CR 1/4) Warrior 1?

Does the +2 CR of the template set the CR to 2? Or does it just increase the CR from 1/4 —> 1/3 —> 1/2?

I think CR 1/2 is the right answer, but it’s contrary to how I’ve conceptualized it for years, so would like some confirmation.
    As far as I'm aware, the CR rules don't include any text that would allow it to work that way, so you would just use normal math. Adding them together gives you 2¼, which then rounds down to 2.