New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Simple RAW Thread for 3.5 #37: 3d12+1

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    As far as I'm aware, the CR rules don't include any text that would allow it to work that way, so you would just use normal math. Adding them together gives you 2¼, which then rounds down to 2.
    From the dungeon master's guide page 30: "For an NPC with an NPC class, determine
    her Challenge Rating as if she had a PC class with one less level.". The orc warrior 1 is written as being CR 1/2 (and not 0), and the orc warrior 10 is CR 9. This clearly shows that reducing CR below 1 creates progressively smaller fractional CR and subsequently increasing CR makes the fraction go closer to 1. This is also clarified in Pathfinder as 1/8->1/6->1/4->1/3->1/2->1.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    As far as I'm aware, the CR rules don't include any text that would allow it to work that way, so you would just use normal math. Adding them together gives you 2¼, which then rounds down to 2.
    MM p. 160

Challenge Rating: Kobolds with levels in NPC
    classes have a CR equal to their character level –3.
    As Beni-Kujaku mentioned, but approached a different way:

If the half-troll template sets the half-troll kobold warrior’s CR to 2, we still then apply the -3 CR adjustment for only having levels in an NPC class. Thus CR 2 -3 = CR -1 (which is actually denoted as CR 1/3). Factoring the extra CR 1/4 back in (instead of ignoring it), raises up to CR 1/2.

3. - Top - End - #213

Q 91

Does a fire shed light? And if so, how much?

4. - Top - End - #214
    Titan in the Playground

A 91

The rules state that physics work much the same way as we are used to in reality, except when stated otherwise. I was not able to find a specific radius of bright or dim light for a fire, so you will have to ask your GM how much light is shed by a fire of a given size, but the absence of a specific numerical value does not imply that fires shed no light.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

5. - Top - End - #215
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Q. 92

If I play a cleric up to the point where I can cast 4th level divine spells and then take a level of Nar Demonbinder, can I use Nar Demonbinder's spells to qualify for other prestige classes that require 4th or 5th level arcane spells? On a similar question: Mystic Theurge requires 2nd level divine AND 2nd level arcane spells - does this requirement mean I cannot use Demonbinder to qualify for it (since I can't cast 2nd level arcane spells, only 4th and up)?

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 92
    Yes, you can. The Nar Demonbinder spellcasting is completely separate from the cleric spellcasting.

By RAW, you can't qualify for Mystic Theurge since you can't cast 2nd level spells. That said, you can prepare lower level spells in higher level slots or use higher slots to cast lower level spells, so if you can learn a 2nd level spell (Initiate feats or Arcane Disciple, a level in a prestige class that gives you new spells known, or even a Ring of Theurgy, so long as you don't actually cast the spell), you'll qualify for Mystic Theurge.

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! One deadly attack is all it takes!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q. 93 The Headband of Intellect explicitly removes itself from giving extra skill points on level up. Other than the Ioun Stone, are there any other temporary Int enhancers that lack that bit of wording?

8. - Top - End - #218

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by RSGA View Post
    Q. 93 The Headband of Intellect explicitly removes itself from giving extra skill points on level up. Other than the Ioun Stone, are there any other temporary Int enhancers that lack that bit of wording?
    A 93 Chameleon’s ability focus for one. You could theoretically use any spell that increases Int as well assuming you could keep it active through the level up process
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

9. - Top - End - #219
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Q94: I'm sure I've seen some easy way to get a dragon to take heal among his spells, but I can't find support how anymore. Was I mistaken all along? how can dragon take healing spells?

Q95
    : breath-enhancing spells: a dragon using a quickened spell can apply two such spells to the same use of his breath weapon?
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

10. - Top - End - #220
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    Q94: I'm sure I've seen some easy way to get a dragon to take heal among his spells, but I can't find support how anymore. Was I mistaken all along? how can dragon take healing spells?
    A58 That one's simple enough. All metallic dragons can have cleric spells (and certain cleric domain spells) as spells known and cast them as arcane spells.

11. - Top - End - #221

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by King of Nowhere View Post
    Q95: breath-enhancing spells: a dragon using a quickened spell can apply two such spells to the same use of his breath weapon?
    A 95: Generally, no.

The Quicken Spell feat enables you to cast a spell as a swift action. But you can take only one swift action per round, regardless of which other actions you take.

The PLAYER'S HANDBOOK v. 3.5 (2012) states (on page 98) that the Quicken Spell feat enables you to cast a spell as a free action that you can take only once per round. However, the SRD changes the wording to swift action. This reflects the generally accepted assumption that the "free action" mentioned on page 98 of the PLAYER'S HANDBOOK should now be considered to be a swift action. You can cast both a Quickened spell and a swift-action spell in the same round only if you happen to have a dungeon master who rejects this assumption.

As far as I know, most spells that affect breath weapons are already swift-action spells that do not have to be Quickened. No matter how you may interpret the rules, you can cast no more than one of these spells per round.

The only spell I can find (in the SPELL COMPENDIUM v. 3.5) that affects a breath weapon but whose casting time is a standard action is the Animate Breath spell. Unlike all the other breath-weapon-affecting spells, this one has a duration of one round per caster level. It might be possible to cast the Animate Breath spell one round before you use your breath weapon – by "holding the charge," so to speak. Assuming that you could "hold the charge" of the Animate Breath spell, you might, when your next turn began, cast a second breath-weapon-affecting spell as a swift action. This would enable you to modify a single use of your breath weapon with two spells. For example, you might cast Animate Breath as a standard action, wait until your next turn, cast the Blinding Breath spell as a swift action, and create an animated breath weapon that blinds your enemies when it appears and then continues to attack them (as a fire elemental would) for one round per caster level minus one. Of course, since the rules don't explicitly allow you to do this, I advise you to ask your dungeon master.
    Last edited by Duke of Urrel; 2022-03-13 at 10:16 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A94 additional Some non-metallic dragons‚ such as the Red and Blue Dragons‚ can also choose cleric spells instead of sorcerer ones. Also‚ any true dragon can take a sovereign archetype (basically a LA+0 acquired template gain through extensive study and training). One archetype‚ Lightkeeper‚ allows them to choose cleric spells.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2022-03-14 at 04:25 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q96

a:
    At seventh level, a Dread Necromancer obtains a familiar, with a handful of modifications-- not gaining speak with others, changing type, and most importantly for my purposes being able to 'store' uses of Charnel Touch and other Dread Necromancer abilities. If a Dread Necromancer were to take the feat Obtain Familiar, would the familiar from this feat, being "a dread necromancer's familiar", be similarly modified?

b:
    If a dread necromancer were to already have or subsequently take levels in a non-Dread-Necromancer familiar-granting class, such as wizard, how would the above interact with the familiar?

c: Is there a limit to how many 'uses' of Charnel Touch, or for that matter any other ability, a Dread Necromancer's familiar can store?
    Avatar by the gracious and talented smutmulch!

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

A 96a No
    A 96b It wouldn't. Obtain familiar grants you a familiar. If you had one already, congratulations, now you have two.
    A 96c It works like storing a touch spell, so 1. It's a binary condition where the familiar is either holding a charge (in which case it can't pick up another) or it isn't (and it can.)
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by weckar View Post
    Venger, can you be my full-time memory aid please?
    Iron Chef Medals!
    Amazing Princess Mononoke avatar by Dispozition

15. - Top - End - #225

Q 97

Considering the rules about touch spells...

Quote Originally Posted by Touch Spells in Combat
    Many spells have a range of touch. To use these spells, you cast the spell and then touch the subject, either in the same round or any time later. In the same round that you cast the spell, you may also touch (or attempt to touch) the target. You may take your move before casting the spell, after touching the target, or between casting the spell and touching the target. You can automatically touch one friend or use the spell on yourself, but to touch an opponent, you must succeed on an attack roll.
    ... if a spellcaster was to use the Reserves of Strength feat upon casting a touch spell...

Quote Originally Posted by Reserves of Strength
    When you cast a spell, you can decide to increase your caster level with that spell by 1, 2, or 3, but you are stunned for an equal number of rounds immediately after doing so.
    A) ... would she lose the opportunity to make a touch attack or touch an ally on the same round as the casting because of the stunning effect?

B) Would this stunning also interfere with holding the charge of the touch spell in any way?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2022-03-15 at 06:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

A 97a No. Making a touch attack is part of casting a touch spell.
    A 97b No.
    I've got a new fantasy TTRPG about running your own fencing school in a 3 musketeers pastiche setting. Book coming soon.

Check out my NEW sci-fi TTRPG about first contact. Cool alien races, murderous AIs, and more. New expansion featuring rules for ships! New book here NOW!

Iron Chef Medals!

17. - Top - End - #227

A 97 additional

Moreover, since "You make all pertinent decisions about a spell (range, target, area, effect, version, and so forth) when the spell comes into effect", several of which are determined by caster level (and caster level being generally irrelevant before this point), it's implied that caster level is determined when the spell comes into effect. In the case of touch spells, the target is determined by touching it, so that's when the spell has to come into effect.

(And if you got stunned any earlier than that, Reserves of Strength broadly wouldn't work on spells with a casting time of longer than 1 round since you normally wouldn't have an action to keep casting it.)

18. - Top - End - #228
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q98: What kind of damage does the Necrocarnum Touch soulmeld deal?
    Avatar by the gracious and talented smutmulch!

19. - Top - End - #229

I hadn't seen it that way. Interesting. (That still makes using Reserves of Strength on an offensive touch spell a pretty bad idea, since you're way too close to an opponent while vulnerable.)

Q 99

Consider this (emphasis mine):

Quote Originally Posted by Touch Spells and Holding the Charge
    In most cases, if you don’t discharge a touch spell on the round you cast it, you can hold the charge (postpone the discharge of the spell) indefinitely. You can make touch attacks round after round. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates.
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch Powers and Holding the Charge
    In most cases, if you don’t discharge a touch power on the round you manifest it, you can hold the charge (postpone the discharge of the power) indefinitely. You can make touch attacks round after round. If you touch anything with your hand while holding a charge, the power discharges. If you manifest another power, the touch power dissipates.
    A) You can still use a Supernatural or Spell-Like ability while holding the charge of a spell/power without dissipating it, right?

B) Can a multiclassed spellcaster/manifester cast a touch spell, and then manifest a touch power (or vice-versa) while holding the charge on both without dissipating either?

C) If B) is correct, then does a single touch discharge both the spell and the power upon the target?
    Last edited by St Fan; 2022-03-16 at 03:58 PM. Reason: Edited number, since a post was made before.
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by MornShine View Post
    Q98: What kind of damage does the Necrocarnum Touch soulmeld deal?
    A 98:

Untyped, AFAICT. There's no general rule for soulmeld damage type, nor for necrocarnum damage type, and the soulmeld itself doesn't specify.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by St Fan View Post
    I hadn't seen it that way. Interesting. (That still makes using Reserves of Strength on an offensive touch spell a pretty bad idea, since you're way too close to an opponent while vulnerable.)

Q 98

A) You can still use a Supernatural or Spell-Like ability while holding the charge of a spell/power without dissipating it, right?

B) Can a multiclassed spellcaster/manifester cast a touch spell, and then manifest a touch power (or vice-versa) while holding the charge on both without dissipating either?

C) If B) is correct, then does a single touch discharge both the spell and the power upon the target?
    A) Yes. From "Spell Flower" : She could also use any of her spell-like or supernatural bilities, since those do not interfere with holding a charge.

B) Magic-Psionics transparency : everything that affects spells also affects power. You can't.

C) Without Transparency : Obviously no explicit rule on this. You'd probably use Spell Flower rules : "Since he has multiple limbs that are considered armed, he can make an off-hand attack with the other touch spell in the same round, with the normal penalties for fighting with two weapons (PH 160)."

22. - Top - End - #232

A 99 continued

I was going to contest the answer, but I found the relevant rule. It seems you're correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Combining Psionic And Magical Effects
    The default rule for the interaction of psionics and magic is simple: Powers interact with spells and spells interact with powers in the same way a spell or normal spell-like ability interacts with another spell or spell-like ability. This is known as psionics-magic transparency.
    This inspires me another question, though...

Q 100

With psionics-magic transparency in effect, can a spectral hand spell thus deliver touch-range psionic powers of 4th level or lower as if they were spells?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A100 Yes you can.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q101

I'm looking for but can't find an arcane spell in D&D 3.5e that summons or calls a flock of giant eagles. Anyone recall which I'm talking about?

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

A101

I'm an idiot, it's actually a Pathfinder spell I was thinking of. Summon flight of eagles. Ignore me!

26. - Top - End - #236

Q 102a

What constitutes "access to" a domain?

Suppose a cleric, say, of Obad-Hai, takes the Fire and Plant domains. At 1st level, she takes the Spontaneous Domain Casting ACF, giving up the ability to prepare the domain's spells. At 3rd level, she takes the Divine Restoration ACF, giving up the domain power. At 6th level, she enters Holt Warden, and elects to exchange her ability to spontaneously cast spells from the Fire domain for the ability to spontaneously cast spells from the Plant domain.

Does this cleric have "access to the Fire domain"? Can she take the Domain Focus feat, selecting the Fire domain? Can she take Domain Spontaneity, selecting the Fire domain?

Q 102b

A 5th-level sorcerer takes the Domain Access ACF and selects the Fire domain. Does this sorcerer have "access to the Fire domain"? Can she take the Domain Focus feat, selecting the Fire domain?

Q 102c

A dread necromancer takes the Touchstone feat and fulfills the recharge condition of the Catalogues of Enlightenment, selecting the Fire domain. Does she have "access to the Fire domain"?

Q 102d

The dread necromancer in (c) also takes the Arcane Disciple feat, selecting the Fire domain. Does she have "access to the Fire domain"?

Q 102g

The cleric in (a) casts substitute domain, swapping the Plant domain for, say, the Air domain. Does she still spontaneously cast spells from the Plant domain?

Q 102e

The cleric in (a) casts substitute domain. Can she swap the Fire domain to gain the granted powers and access to the spells of the Air domain?

Q 102f

Does she have "access to the Air domain"?

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

A 102a Yes. Yes. Yes. You may have changed out many of the normal benefits of access to the fire domain but if you were to find for example, a magic item which provided access to a fire domain spell not normally on the cleric list, you could use it without rolling.

A 102b Yes.

A 102c No. You just have the granted power.

A 102d Yes.

A 102e Yes.

A 102f Yes.

A 102g Yes.

Iron Chef Medals!

28. - Top - End - #238

A 102 contention

Quote Originally Posted by sreservoir View Post

Q 102c

A dread necromancer takes the Touchstone feat and fulfills the recharge condition of the Catalogues of Enlightenment, selecting the Fire domain. Does she have "access to the Fire domain"?

Q 102d

The dread necromancer in (c) also takes the Arcane Disciple feat, selecting the Fire domain. Does she have "access to the Fire domain"?
    I share most of Venger's conclusions, except for 102d. The Arcane Disciple feat only add spells to your spell list. It doesn't matter if you combine that with acceding to the Domain power by whatever mean, you still doesn't have "access to the domain".

Although most elements of a domain already granted can be indeed swapped through ACF and still count as having it, a domain isn't just "granted power+spells". It cannot be assembled by bit and pieces from other sources; the class, prestige class or ACF must clearly specify you gain access to a domain.

For example, the wizard's ACF "Granted Domain Power" includes this specific text:

Quote Originally Posted by Complete Champion
    Special: If you take levels in a class that grants you a domain choice (such as cleric), you gain the full benefits of the domain in addition to the other domains available to you from that class.
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

29. - Top - End - #239

Q 103

Let's have a look at the battlemagic perception spell:

Quote Originally Posted by Heroes of Battle
    If you have at least 5 ranks in Spellcraft, you are also able to sense the use of any spell or spell-like ability within 100 feet, so long as you have line of effect to the caster.
    With a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell level) you can even ascertain the spell being cast.
    This determination happens quickly enough that you can attempt to counter the spell as a free action.
    Am I right to think that, as written, it just doesn't work? You can't counterspell "as a free action" since free actions can only be taken on your turn, and another spellcaster isn't going to wait for you before casting his spell.

For this option to be any useful, it should allow counterspelling "as an immediate action", right?
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

A 103
    If an effect says you can take a free action outside of your turn‚ then you can. It's the same way Feather Fall was initially a free action useable outside your turn‚ or‚ incidentally‚ how counterspelling is described in the SRD ("
    If the target of your counterspell tries to cast a spell, make a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + the spell’s level). This check is a free action."). It would probably be clearer to change it to an immediate action‚ but as written‚ Battlemagic Perception doesn't use your swift action to counterspell.
    Last edited by Beni-Kujaku; 2022-03-17 at 11:18 AM.