New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Default amnesia poison? what?

is this a home brew poison or is it D&D canon?

serini did brew it at home so...maybe?

does it need to be drank or can one just breathe it in? what if all of this was part of kiras- I mean serinis plan?

any info on the amnesia poison and what its full effects are? can it be nullified by an anti-toxin spell or potion? what if its a double bluff on her part and she didn't need to worry about any effects, and them being there is all she needs.
    Vae Victus!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: amnesia poison? what?

Quote Originally Posted by WolvesbaneIII View Post
    does it need to be drank or can one just breathe it in?
    Serini does nor use any protection when standing near the cauldron so it's probably safe to inhale the fumes.

Unless she forgot.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-12-15 at 04:27 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

OK I got a good chuckle out of that.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

what if its a double bluff on her part and she didn't need to worry about any effects, and them being there is all she needs.
    I think you are expecting a bit much from the placebo effect here...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

There are no poisons in the base game that cause amnesia, so far as I am aware.

The amnesia concoction is, honestly, nearly impossible to explain mechanically. All poisons in the game either do ability damage or inflict unconsciousness, a potion would be much more likely to be the delivery method for amnesia. However, Serini is a rogue, and wouldn't be able to brew potions at all, and the spells that would make sense for inflicting amnesia are too high level to be brewed into potions.

The only possible mechanical explanation is that it is a homebrewed poison, likely an ingestion vector one, but then as mentioned there's a whole host of issues involved. It would allow a fortitude save, so 1 in 20 people would just not be affected at all, and Durkon and Roy probably have even better odds than that. It is possible it's an epic poison which would keep magical effects that grant immunity from poison from working on it, but then it would take multiple weeks of work to make a single dose of the stuff, especially given that it is far and away more powerful than the vanilla epic poisons and would have a much higher base price as a result.

That said, familicide would have had to have a casting DC in the hundreds if not thousands, so Rich just ignoring the actual epic rules and using it as plot devices is nothing new, and he hasn't been shackled to the rules in general for years now anyway.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2021-12-16 at 08:07 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    However, Serini is a rogue, and wouldn't be able to brew potions at all, and the spells that would make sense for inflicting amnesia are too high level to be brewed into potions.

The only possible mechanical explanation is that it is a homebrewed poison, likely an ingestion vector one, but then as mentioned there's a whole host of issues involved. It would allow a fortitude save, so 1 in 20 people would just not be affected at all, and Durkon and Roy probably have even better odds than that. It is possible it's an epic poison which would keep magical effects that grant immunity from poison from working on it, .
    Digging on it; Imagine if Serini-the-troll-partially-enhanced, has a form of immunity, and she's was actually double-bluffing to splash our friends with the potion, after few rounds of deceptive apnea?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rinazina View Post
    Digging on it; Imagine if Serini-the-troll-partially-enhanced, has a form of immunity, and she's was actually double-bluffing to splash our friends with the potion, after few rounds of deceptive apnea?
    thats what I'm thinking. she could be immune, and it only effects non trolls, which is such a troll thing to do.
    Vae Victus!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

thats what I'm thinking. she could be immune, and it only effects non trolls, which is such a troll thing to do.
    Belkar should be fine then.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

However, Serini is a rogue, and wouldn't be able to brew potions at all,...
    The text on the cauldron apparently says "Magic Instant Pot". So it's a property of the cauldron, not of Sereni.

Yeah, if it can make something so powerful it must be Epic... but time isn't a limiting factor, and money probably isn't. So if it takes a couple of years to brew the amnesia potion/poison, that's not at issue.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Rogues certainly may brew poisons. Potions are stored spells, poisons are not. They are not the same thing in D&D.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Also not every liquid magic item is technically a potion I think.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Also not every liquid magic item is technically a potion I think.
    Some are elixers, for example.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
    Some are elixers, for example.
    Poultices and ointments too!

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Reboot View Post
    so powerful it must be Epic
    That's a solid brand slogan right there.
    The thing is the Azurites don't use a single color; they use a single hue. The use light blue, dark blue, black, white, glossy blue, off-white with a bluish tint. They sky's the limit, as long as it's blue.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

is this a home brew poison or is it D&D canon?
    I forgot...
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

There are no poisons in the base game that cause amnesia, so far as I am aware.

The amnesia concoction is, honestly, nearly impossible to explain mechanically. All poisons in the game either do ability damage or inflict unconsciousness, a potion would be much more likely to be the delivery method for amnesia. However, Serini is a rogue, and wouldn't be able to brew potions at all, and the spells that would make sense for inflicting amnesia are too high level to be brewed into potions.

The only possible mechanical explanation is that it is a homebrewed poison, likely an ingestion vector one, but then as mentioned there's a whole host of issues involved. It would allow a fortitude save, so 1 in 20 people would just not be affected at all, and Durkon and Roy probably have even better odds than that. It is possible it's an epic poison which would keep magical effects that grant immunity from poison from working on it, but then it would take multiple weeks of work to make a single dose of the stuff, especially given that it is far and away more powerful than the vanilla epic poisons and would have a much higher base price as a result.

That said, familicide would have had to have a casting DC in the hundreds if not thousands, so Rich just ignoring the actual epic rules and using it as plot devices is nothing new, and he hasn't been shackled to the rules in general for years now anyway.
    The Styx is very hurt that you completely forgot about it.

Ultimately any Int draining/damaging poison (which is part of what the Styx does) could be skinned as also causing amnesia. You won't remember much when your Int is drained enough.

Also there are plenty of more complex poisons in the game, just not in the DMG. There is a poison that kills you and spawns a spider swarm (that ate you from within), there are narcotics that are considered poisons per the rules that can have a wide array of effects (some of them even positive) and then there is Yuan-ti ossra . . .
    Last edited by Nymrod; 2021-12-26 at 05:51 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrod View Post
    I only has itself to blame.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Bugbear in the Playground

It was actually the river Lethe that had to do with forgetfulness, people just lumped all three together into the Styx for some reason.

Considering that the eastern pantheon is gone, I'm not sure the Lethe still exists though.

In either case I doubt the waters could be brewed in a cauldron.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2021-12-26 at 06:30 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

It was actually the river Lethe that had to do with forgetfulness, people just lumped all three together into the Styx for some reason.
    Because Lethe isn't musically famous:

I will marry her now and confine her to hell,
    Where Styx is a river, and not just a band
    (Though they'll play our reception if all goes as planned),
    Unless, Fry, you surrender my hands!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrod View Post

Considering that the eastern pantheon is gone, I'm not sure the Lethe still exists though.

In either case I doubt the waters could be brewed in a cauldron.
    ...And Meng Po, who serves the broth of oblivion to people on the Bridge of Forgetfulness. I actually came across this character in The Story of the Stone by Barry Hughart (where the hero(es) are visiting the world of the dead to get information and need to sneak back in to the real world by joyriding on the Wheel of Reincarnation, but need to avoid her for obvious reasons).

I don't have a copy of Demigods and Deities (any edition - and its been a long time since I played...), so can't tell if she got included in the D&D rules (and would thus be "D&D Canon"), but she did appear in Chinese Mythology and apparantly does a very good soup...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally I'm guessing this is just a homebrewed Epic potion with nonspecific abilities and logic behind it, and calling it a day.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Personally I'm guessing this is just a homebrewed Epic potion with nonspecific abilities and logic behind it, and calling it a day.
    Potion of Plot-Justifying Threat

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Of course it's home-brewed. She's cooking it herself, and I'll bet it isn't out of a packet...

24. - Top - End - #24

SolithKnightGuy

Treat it simply as infusing a spell into a potion
    Probably this one though it is very high level
    {scrubbed}
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-12-27 at 08:49 AM.
    'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! “The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!" And all those who heard his great voice echo in the hills answered, crying:'Auta i lómë!" The night is passing!"

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Of course it's home-brewed. She's cooking it herself, and I'll bet it isn't out of a packet...
    Hahaha
    Do you mind if I sig that?
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Hahaha
    Do you mind if I sig that?
    Please do. It's nice when the humour is appreciated.

27. - Top - End - #27

The amnesia poison could be based off of the Pixie's Memory Loss arrows. Provided a character could find a way to replicate it, it'd work well, and there's always that "voluntarily fail a saving throw" option (or at least there's one in PF1E, dunno if 3.5 has the same kind of rule).

Since Serini has reason to believe the clerics are out of commission, Heal and Miracle are not on the table. And as I understand it, the Wishes aren't available in the setting either.