A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Who's your favourite big bad evil guy in a game you played? (spoilers ahoy)

Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
    Oh duck yes, Jade Empire's villain

Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    I tried playing Jade empire again on my current computer some time ago, but there was.... a problem. for some reason. I think I figure out how to solve it and what is was so I can play it again, because I do remember liking the twist in that one.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

2. - Top - End - #62
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Who's your favourite big bad evil guy in a game you played? (spoilers ahoy)

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    I did namedrop the Ur-Quan, albeit the Kohr-Ah...
    Ah, I missed that somehow. Oops.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

3. - Top - End - #63

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    I tried playing Jade empire again on my current computer some time ago, but there was.... a problem. for some reason. I think I figure out how to solve it and what is was so I can play it again, because I do remember liking the twist in that one.
    Probably Bioware's single best twist of all their game. Perfectly in character, perfectly foreshadowed, supreme villain moment

4. - Top - End - #64
    Spamalot in the Playground

It's on GoG and their forums are usually quite good at getting old games to run, so I'd check there if you're still having issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    ...great, I'm going to have to go find an emulator and play this game now*. THANKS SHNEEKEY.

*I had a Genesis instead of an SNES when I was a kid
    I also believe you can also find it on Steam and the various phone stores these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

In addition to Kefka, I also need to give points to Handsome Jack, for a few reasons.

First, he's got the charisma dialed up to eleven. He's a snarky chewing-the-scenes smug so-and-so who constantly taunts you (We're talking Borderlands 2 here of course). He's got chutzpah what needs both hands to hold. And to be fair, he's got resources the likes of which very few can ever hope to dream of.

However, he can also back up his talk. He's a Xanatos style villain, he's always got a contingency plan, and is generally surprisingly okay with whatever you do because he'd already planned for that to happen and taken it into consideration. Might not always be happy about it, but sometimes you gotta activate your contingency plan. And he's willing to *use* his resources to screw you over. He doesn't just horde his stuff, he collects them for a reason, and uses them when he sees fit.

So... yea, he's got swag, but he's also got the chops to back that swag up. He's always one step ahead of you, if not two or three. If you ever think you've gotten the better of him, check your six, because you've just activated his trap card.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

7. - Top - End - #67
    Spamalot in the Playground

I like Handsome Jack as well but beating the entire cast of the first game offscreen between titles was totes lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #68

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I like Handsome Jack as well but beating the entire cast of the first game offscreen between titles was totes lame.
    It was partly this, and just the way he was usually presented that gave me the feeling that his plans only worked because the writers could make anything come true.

It's a matter of personal taste, and although I did like the game a lot, he was incredibly unremarkable to my taste.
    I write a horror blog in my spare time.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Kobold

Jade Empire runs fine on my current machine (Windows 8.1), so I'm guessing it should work on more modern versions as well. Try compatibility settings.

It does have copy protection on the disc, so you may need a working CD drive (if your edition is the same as mine).

I agree the villain is superb.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

BardGuy

For Bioware, specifically SWTOR, I'll throw in
    Spoiler: Agent Story
    Show
    Darth Jadus
    : one of few game villains who genuinely manages to creep me out, and whose orchestration of his act in the story is quite well done: a brilliant space opera bond villain, so to speak. The entire Class Story is brilliant, but he's my favourite villain in it.

I liked the main villain of Pillars of Eternity as well, though that depends on how interesting you find the metaphysics/soul stuff or if your motivations lie more in the simple "I've got no choice but to chase this dude if I want to live". I really enjoyed his voice acting as well.

As for villains who are just great fun when you finally got a chance to kick their freaking ass: Alpha Protocol has
    Spoiler
    Show
    Leland
    , where you've been lookin forward to punching his smug face for a while by then, and
    Spoiler
    Show
    Marburg
    who, after being the consummate professional all the time, gives you a real good reason to make it personal. The Moscow Hub villain's fun too, but that's mostly the ambience and general crazy bull**** involved in that fight/area.
    Last edited by Taevyr; 2022-02-01 at 10:56 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71

If anyone saw Noah Caldwell Gervais's video essay on Tyranny, his take on Graven Ashe and how he (both Graven and the Fatebinder) got co-opted in becoming a tacit collaborator for Kyros is a chilling description of the nature of power and how it corrupts those who endorses it.

The other villains of Tyranny are all a bit more comic book villains (with the Voices of Nerat being closer to Kefka than I care to admit). But all of them are villains, even Tunon the Great Collaborator.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Porky Minch, because Porky Means Business. But seriously for me, as a kid beating Earthbound, Porky made me PERSONALLY angry beyond even Kefka. The toxic rich kid that gets away with everything. Shneekey wrote an excellent writeup for why Kefka was effective for them but for me, that was Porky. He survived to taunt you in the end, do you remember? Spankety. Spankety. Spankety.

And then I grew up and played Mother 3.

Porky Minch for me, that utter little bastard.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

As far as villains you just want to reach into the screen and throttle, no listing could be complete without mentioning the utter incompetent jackass that is Ted Faro.

Not because he was competent, not because he accomplished anything, but because every time he walks on screen, you have to resist the urge to throw your controller at that smug face. Even when everything was falling apart around him and he began to realize the depth of his mistake, he was still trying to weasel a way out of it. And then his Protocol Omega... I mean, really. It's the crowning moment of "AAARG I just want to STRANGLE that little worm!!!". I mean, think about it. "I'm such a narcissistic ass that I'm going to **** over any chance humanity has of coming back just because I ****ed up and a) don't want anyone to realize it, and b) if I can **** up then clearly tech is too dangerous for any lesser mortals".

Is he a 'good' villain? I dunno. He's a petty weasel with no redeeming traits. He's not nearly as smart as he thinks he is. He doesn't even have the charisma of, say, Handsome Jack or Kefka. He managed to achieve total world destruction, even though that wasn't actually his plan. He completely and utterly failed at everything except being a dog in the manger by destroying APOLLO.

Which is why it rather surprised me just how badly I wanted to bring him back from the dead just so I could have the privilege of beating him until the stupid oozed out. And THAT is why I feel he deserves a dishonorable mention on any villain tier list. Not because he was a clever villain, or a smart one, or a powerful one, or even one who succeeded in his goals. Because he made you want to rip his entrails out and strangle him to death with them. Any character that can evoke that kind of emotion out of someone as jaded as me deserves a mention.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

14. - Top - End - #74
    Colossus in the Playground

d20 Re: Who's your favourite big bad evil guy in a game you played? (spoilers ahoy)

I'm not sure this qualifies as "big bad", but certainly a bad person and a major antagonist:
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Klaasje Amandou"
    in Disco Elysium.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Excellently written character in a game full of them. Without her, this would have been a relatively simple murder investigation. Guy got shot, trace the bullet path, find out there's a crazy old recluse with a gun living on an island taking potshots at the city with an old sniper rifle. Done.

Except there just had to be an internationally wanted spy in the same room the murder happened. (Well, she's also kind of the motive, but anyway). And she panics and just makes everything so much more complicated. Stage a hanging instead of a shooting, so there's a fake course of events and a fake motive. Get organized crime involved. And the union. And the emotionally unstable drug smuggler who has gun and a crush on her.

She's using and abusing and lying to everyone around her. Everything with her is just layers on layers of lies. There's like three points in the game where she "opens up" to you. "I'm sorry I lied to you officer, here's why I did it and the truth". Except it's more lies. And then more lies behind that again. Over the course of the game, up to a dozen people die, because she keeps lying in a series of increasingly desperate attempts to keep herself out of it.

And yet, the game still manages to make her mostly sympathetic. Her desperation seems real until the end. And if you arrest her, the government really does disappear her. And yet, if you give her an inch of leeway, she will lie to you again, escape and likely leave more corpses in her wake.
    "Welcome to my parlour, said the spider to the sky."

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

It was still better than what they did to the cast of the second game in the third.... (Because if there's a thread for *least* favourite villains, the Calypsos are going to be pretty close to the top of that list).

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

On that point I am reminded of Fable's Jack of Blades. He has an aesthetic, but is not married to it. There is no redemption arc, no redeeming feature, but his backstory is believable. His personality sets him up as a decent villain, and he feels enjoyable to finally defeat. Basically avoiding two of the tropes that require some skill in writing while not diving too deeply into edgy grimdark personality traits.

But the one true villain I did enjoy was Final Fantasy 14's Emet-Selch. Zenos is a famous runner-up, but to me Zenos is oddly enough a generic villain that could have used a bit of a more human character motivation. He is supposed to portray some kind of "meta motivation" in mirroring the player's desire to fight and win, but that feels incredibly simplistic to me.

Emet-Selch has it all. Redeeming qualities, while having motivation to stay on his path of villainy. Charisma to the point of people actually wanting so switch sides if the game let them. Slightly insane but not to the point of "cooky" Harley Quinn insane (Harley and Joker make more sense in their contexts but some iterations are just zany for the sake of silly and/or eroticism). And he is a wordy one, not a brute. A villain you never fight, but have a "duel of philosophy" against. Someone that checks your conviction, never openly fighting you because he kinda knows you're the main character and facing you is a dumb idea.

In the context of a D&D villain he is the ultimate goal for a villain. He has seen various weaker and stronger entities being killed by you to the point of not even trying to kill you(r group) by brute force. He is conniving and sly and goes by subterfuge.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Spore View Post
    But the one true villain I did enjoy was Final Fantasy 14's Emet-Selch
    Emet-Selch is brilliant all around, and felt less like a villain, and more like an antagonist with differing goals/ideology (I guess you could put him in the very sympathetic villain territory if you had to). I'm still very conflicted about him on a philosophical level. Yes he needed to be stopped, but I'm still not convinced that he was entirely wrong, just on the other side of the gameboard from me so to speak.

The final confrontation with him felt more like putting him out of his misery, than stopping him for the sake of stopping him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.