New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant IC 2

Laurelata will do the breakfast cooking. She considers Henri a nice guy and she wouldn't have anybody covering her back when they were out and about, but he certainly wasn't a cook. At least not like she had learned. Well, everybody their own strengths. While she's making breakfast, she listens in on the conversations around her.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt remains unsure about what to do for the night. He goes to sleep and finishes his routine as always to recover his spells and summon Lightburn by his side. For the time being, he decides to wait for the moment to try casting his spell again.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

3. - Top - End - #273
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica rises in good spirits. She's happy to have found survivors, even if there hasn't been a great revelation of what happened to the rest of the colony yet. She's optimistic it will come, and probably soon. "Good morning, everyone!" she cheerfully greets as she rises languidly. "Thank you, Laurelata for breakfast, and thank you to everyone else for being patient." She looks up to see Henri calling back and forth with the current sentry and forces a smile, though she's obviously aware of their predicament. "Henri, have him call for one of the other clerics for me? I want to discuss what we can. I hate to make them do my work for me, but I can't very well isolate myself from the colony and simultaneously ask around if anyone has any ideas..."

She waits patiently for either of the other priests to arrive, content for the moment to enjoy a warm breakfast and a morning not spent traipsing about an uncharted island in immediate risk of death at every turn.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

The priests arrive both. From the distance and the description, they do not recognize the condition affecting Eliza and Rayland. They say they neither of them can just cast the spell to remove the disease. They can cast spells to suppress the disease, but this needs to be repeated evey day and does not always work. Anyway, neither of them has this spell prepared. Kurvis proposes to concoct some generic + symptomatic therapy to see if it works. He asks permission to check if it is not a curse. Eliza becomes somewhat uneasy for a moment, but does not object. Rayland seems pretty much indifferent to the proposal. Kurvis casts Detect Magic, observes the two in some surprise, then calls Jessica out to prepare the concoction. Eamon goes too.

Spoiler: Jessica
    Show
    Kurvis asks Jess if she knows the two are affected by enchantment auras of moderate strength (well, technically, "moderate", but it is, like, a lot). Each one is affected by one aura, but the auras are different.

If Jess would like to proceed with making the concoction to try to cure the two, she's asked to aid Kurvis, providing her opinion on the medicines and dosages (roll aid another on heal).
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-05-28 at 05:08 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

"I can help gather herbs or animals or anything else you need for the cures," volunteers Henri. "Or if you don't need any help with that, we could go look into the lost goats and the chokers who probably took them...?"

6. - Top - End - #276
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Those chokers are close to home," Laurelata said, "we can probably wait a few hours to let the priests create whatever concoction they think is needed and still have some time to go look for the goats. Unless we need to be quick for chokers? I don't know them all that well."

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #277
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica frowns at the revelation. "Are you sure you want me approaching close enough to assist? If you're confident that you're safe, I'm happy to help, but until we know more...." she lets the question linger for a few moments, joining only after confirmation that he would rather have the help than he is worried about contagion.

As she steps away from her quarantined companions, she adds, "Let's settle this before we address the chokers. We should have time for both today, no?"

In closer quarters, she lowers her voice a little to address their discoveries more candidly. "We hadn't really been able to determine much," she readily admits to her colleague. She begins preparing the temporary remedies, working with slow deliberation. "That's part of why I wanted to keep them out here. We're pretty sure they're dangerous- both have been mentioned in the writings we've found, but they seemed to be rivals at best from what we could learn. Arkley here might as well be a zombie for all he's contributed to the discussion in the last day and a half. Please pass word to Ramona- I'd like to have the militia at least on guard in case this goes badly."

After a time, she comments in frustration: "There are answers here, if they exist anywhere. But neither of them have been able or willing to tell us anything useful..."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Heal assist: (1d20+10)[11]

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ettin in the Playground

Kurvis admits he wanted to get Jess off the tents to tell her about the enchantments without getting too close to whisper. Regarding the concoction, he only needs advice, he can well mix it himself, so no need to get close and personal. Kurvis says he'll tell Marius to post some of his men around the tents for the day, so the party would be free to do chokers. He'll tell them to go to the pen near Harcourt Carrolby's house. Anya Sandstrider would be there to brief them and everyone else would be told to keep well away. Eventually the concoction is ready and Jessica picks it up to administer it to the patients. They gulp it. There is no visible effect nor there should be. In the best case, some improvement might be seen tomorrow. In the worst case, the course will take a week and won't work.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

With the cure (or at least the possibility of a cure) administered, they could get back to their jobs of defending the colony.
    "So, let's go and have a look at the chokers," Laurelata said to the others. If they agree, she would let Henri lead, as he was a lot better at sneaking around in the countryside. She was better at finding traps and dismantling them, but she wasn't really an outdoors kind of person. While she had learned the basics while being here, she was aware of her shortcomings, so she decided to guard the rear of the group. She did however look out for any traces of the chokers (or anything else really).

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

if we go searching for those chokers:
    perception (1d20+9)[17]
    survival (1d20+4)[8]

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica is a bit relieved to avoid close contact with Kurvis. She dutifully recovers the mixture and takes it to their unusual guests. Content that they've at least begun to pursue a solution there, she turns to Laurelata expectantly.

"I agree. We can't forgo our duties elsewhere waiting to see if this cure will work or not." She turns to Rayland and Eliza apologetically. "I know it's uncomfortable, but you'll be safe here. Call for the militia if you need help, but otherwise it should be easy to stay wet in the stream here and we've plenty of food until we can make sure it's safe to return to the colony. Is there anything else you would ask before we see to these chokers?"

11. - Top - End - #281
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt still felt uncomfortable about the situation and he just watches from a distance with Lightburn. Lightburn remains vigilant on the possibility of threats keeping its senses up for the task.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

Rayland and Eliza do not have any requests at the moment, so the team goes to Harcourt Carrolby's goat pen, which is a new thing near his house, which is the same house where you've found the first choker. You are met by Anya Sandstrider who is not coming too close, presumably being informed about the potential of disease. She says there was a stormy night, the torches had to be extinquised and the guards at the tower could not see well enough into this part of the village. In the morning all of the goats were missing. There were fresh footprints of some chokers (Anya is not sure how many there were), but only around the pen, the well, and that's it. Nothing leading in or out of the village. The well seems ordinary enough. Anya says she did not explore it underwater, waiting for your return as some of you seem to be better suited to it. The potential of the disease can make exploring the well somewhat problematic. That is, if you dive in, the colony might need an alternative source of fresh water if this is to be played safe, so she is not quite sure what to do.
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-06-04 at 06:12 AM.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Trusting her ability to see in very dim light, Laurelata looked down the well without going in, to see if she could see a tunnel coming out inside the well. She didn't know if those chokers could swim, so she hoped they had just dug a tunnel that had come out into the well.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

perception: (1d20+9)[26]

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Nothing over the water, that's for sure. The water is clear enough, though, for Laurelata to see in the darkness of the well what might be an entrance into the tunnel a few feet under the surface.

15. - Top - End - #285

NecromancerGuy

Henri looks down at tracks, the well, and finally into the darkness. "The goats are dead. Collapse the well and dig a new one...or dig another anyway. We
    should check this one. If we're sick use the new one,
    " he says calmly as he looks around for rope or a ladder. "Let's climb down. I've rope..."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"We don't know how long it will run underwater," Laurelata said, "not to mention that those tunnels are rather small. I think we best try to dig another tunnel a bit further and see if we can hit the one the chokers digged out."

17. - Top - End - #287

NecromancerGuy

"I don't see how that's less effort than digging a new well..." says Henri with a dry tone, his craggy face largely expressionless in spite of the understated humor he's expressed. "Can we summon something to check the tunnel, see how far it goes?"

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkOne7141981 View Post
    "I don't see how that's less effort than digging a new well..." says Henri with a dry tone, his craggy face largely expressionless in spite of the understated humor he's expressed. "Can we summon something to check the tunnel, see how far it goes?"
    "Unfortunately, most of my summons and I dont share a way for properly speaking which would make the exploration a fruitless affair even if they could breath underwater and walk on earth. There is also Lightburn. But Lightburn has a limit on how far he can go without disrupting our connection and being sent back...." Hewitt declares thinking about the situation. "... but recently, I have developed a spell to take care of that limitation. The only issue is that we wont get any feedback from this journey until his return. Assuming he manages to make it back."

Lightburn nods to the idea. "You could increase my defenses before going in. I dont mind at all checking down how it is if everyone approves of the idea."

Show

If everyone agrees, then Hewitt will cast Mage Armor followed by Unfetter on Lightburn. Then, sent Lightburn to check the tunnel. He can swim and breath underwater so it should be relatively easy to be on both earth and water.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Sounds like a plan," Laurelata said, not really wanting to go into small tunnels herself, "but do come back instead of fighting, unless there's no other choice. Hewitt, do you know where Lightburn is at all times?
    Maybe you can follow how the tunnel goes by knowing where he is? Me and Henri can wait here at the exit to cover Lightburn should he have to come back in a hurry."

She also checked what was needed to pull Lightburn out, or if he could come out on his own power. If something was needed, they would rig it before allowing him to move in. She would stand guard with her bow, ready to discourage persuit.

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ettin in the Playground

The well is equipped with a rope and a bucket, but Lightburn is too big to fit in a bucket, so it seems like you have to untie it and use just the rope. That way, getting Lightburn down the well would not be problematic except for the latest part of getting rid of the rope to continue on. Doable if you are not in a hurry or someone with actual hands goes down the well (not down the tunnel). Or he can jump dive, really, if you don't mind a splash. Getting Lightburn up without such a person's help would be much more problematic if there wasn't a trick of dismissing him and then summoning again on the ground. That way it's even easier than roping him up, if a tad longer. You weigh all pros and con and finally decide on the methods to use.

Spoiler
    Show
    Please specify all the details of getting Lightburn down and then presumably back up, as per the options above.

Hewitt casts the spell and then, using the chosen method, you get Lightburn down the well. He dives and there is indeed a tunnel.

Spoiler: Lightburn
    Show
    The walls of the tunnel are rough and uneven. Thay also seem quite old, contrary to the vertical walls of the well. The dark underwater tunnel leads a short distance east, then gradually turns north, about 50 feet in total before it rises enough that Lightburn can have his head above the water. The tunnel, complete with stalactites and stalagmites all over potential crystalline formations, seems to continue 50 more feet north where it splits in two. From where he is, Lightburn cannot see down either side of the split, but he can advance.

21. - Top - End - #291

NecromancerGuy

Henri watches and listens to the periodic updates from Hewitt. As the reports keep arriving he takes out his journal and begins writing and sketching notes, comparing what he's being told to what he sees above ground to try and see where the chokers might be if they've come back above ground at all.

As it becomes clear that they have a subterranean, underwater lair he frowns unhappily. "I think we're swimming," he says simply as he starts to secure the well's rope to aid everyone in their descent into the hole...

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica shrugs, her usually cheery disposition rapidly returning outside the immediate proximity of their unsettling rescuees. "I don't mind swimming, so long as those Goblin-squids aren't involved."

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"it also depends on how high the tunnel is," Laurelata said, "a short while underwater is no problem, but fighting while crawling through a tunnel is. Can Lightburn give an idea about that?"

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

"We can certainly hope so. He can see in the dark and he has some great senses." Hewitt explains to the others. We can ask for details on his return.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Spoiler: Lightburn´s tunnel adventure
    Show
    Lightburn tries to see if there are any crystals that could be taken. If not, Lightburn will continue by searching on the left tunnel since there doesnt appear to be any differences between the two tunnels. He makes a mental note of the places where one can breath. They could be useful for the rest of the party.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Taz looks down the well and says, “second to Lightburn, I’m probably going to be the best equipped for this. My powers have let me grow exceptional at swimming and I can breathe underwater. The only drawback is I still can’t breathe while being choked. Lightburn, if you run into issues and I can help, signal, but don’t if it’ll get me killed… since, well, I wouldn’t come back tomorrow.” She double checks that her aquaphobic gear is in her waterproof bag and gets mentally prepared to rappel in if needed.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Lightburn
    Show
    The crystals that could be easily taken seem to have been taken. But there got to be more under the limestone formations. Will take some digging, though.

The left tunnel smells of trouble. Lightburn sneaks in a bit further just to make sure, then is quickly back to theedge of the water. A larger cavern that has irregular walls opening to even more dark spaces. A suspicious-looking pile of bones sits in the center of the floor. An easily-recognizable scent of blood and viscera. And four young chokers somewhere around who smell just like themselves. Not a place Lightburn wants to visit alone.

Spoiler
    Show
    Digging for the gems in this particular cave will yield x5 gp as a downtime activity until it is deplated. Digging in the surrounding rocks will yield x2 gp, but care must be taken not to undermine the village. Profession (Miner) is required to dig outside of the cave. For digging inside the cave it is optional.

Lightburn is back with a report. You presumably go down the well one by one, with the outer side of the underwater tunnel guarded first by Lightburn and then also Tazmara.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica brightens up as Lightburn reports his findings. "Huh, I'd call that fortunate, though gold has less value out here than it might usually. Still, a lucrative mine is a great find for the Venture Company. We should make sure to note it carefully, Henri, so we can report to Ramona with details. In the meantime, if we can go down- even one at a time- and handle this choker issue permanently, that's kind of what we're here for, yeah? Here, let me cast a quick spell to simplify the trip."

A little sheepishly, Jessica conjures a simple connection between herself and Tazmara, Henri (presumably their rear-guard), and Hewitt to enable communication. She then dutifully follows Tazmara down the well, more than happy to be among the middle of the metaphorical pack. "Sorry I can't include everyone, Laurelata. I think I can add another person soon, but haven't figured it out yet... Anyway, it won't help us talk when we're holding our breaths, but we can still hear, and that's worth something."

Show
    Jessica also has dark vision, so we can wait for the others to announce our presence with light.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"No worries," Laurelata said, "I'll stay in the middle then."
    She carefully packed her bow so the string wouldn't get wet and took only her armour and weapons and a rope (and her thieves' tools, just in case), leaving the rest in their house. That way she could travel lightly. Then she took her place, also in the middle of the group and moved down when it was her turn. She wasn't all that happy on going underwater, even though she did know how to swim.

She was interested in the gems, as those would be worth something as soon as the next ship would arrive. But first they had to get the chokers out.

29. - Top - End - #299

NecromancerGuy

Dutifully Henri takes whatever position that looks most needed. "Nothing to attack us up here, though. I prefer the front - this bum leg slows me down..." he says, waiting to confirm where the others really want him before going down.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Henri lacks Darkvision, so he's not best in the very front. He can swim and hold his breath well and is slower than most (Lame curse), so if he's near the front I think that's best. Swim modifier is +5, so here's some rolls in case it matters: (1d20+5)[25], (1d20+5)[22], (1d20+5)[24], (1d20+5)[12], (1d20+5)[6], (1d20+5)[25]

30. - Top - End - #300
    Troll in the Playground

Lightburn smiles when he is thanked for the gems . "I hope we find some more valuables down there. I will gladly guide the way." Hewitt also decides to be in the back since he is still a pretty decent swimmer to help anyone who might have trouble. Still, he wasnt exactly thrilled about getting wet.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores: