New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant IC 2

Hewitt decides to stay too. It was better to leave this to the more combat oriented in his group. Without spells, he wasnt going to be much help. He decides to begin his ritual to cast Lightburn to his side in the meantime. No point in wasting time doing nothing.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Making the ritual to summon Lightburn to his side.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ettin in the Playground

The problem with trying to follow someone invisible by going in straight lines, is, as Tazmara is barely able to confirm with her hearing, is that the invisible person sees you. And changes their course. Tarmara makes a correction to the direction she moves, but is increasingly lagging behind.

Rayland, meanwhile, looks at the chase, stands mostly still and responds to Jess: "That thing from the tank. The smaller tank, I mean. I must have seen it, I think, but I am perfectly sure I cannot remember that part. So have not much to tell you. I guess that thing does... not quite possess... is the term "dominate"? It's not her for sure."

Spoiler
    Show
    Eliza's stealth check: (1d20)[4] vs hearing (or +5 that vs hearing if you attempt to run; 40 feet of the distance is figured in), +20 more vs sight

Rayland has more to say, with or without being questioned, but that is to take some time.

=> Party (everyone, any order)

3. - Top - End - #483
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata tries to follow, using all senses to the maximum and trying to keep up as much as possible.
    "Over here," she shouted as she corrected her direction.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

perception: (1d20+9)[18]
    run
    Last edited by farothel; 2022-11-02 at 03:09 PM.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

4. - Top - End - #484
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Henri turns to go in the direction indicated by Laurelata, unconfident in his own ears. The lame half-orc keeps moving as fast as he can, struggling mightily against his own body...

5. - Top - End - #485
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica frowns, trying to think through the implications without completely losing track of her companions. "So... something dominated her, and she dominated you?"

6. - Top - End - #486
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt is still in the middle of the ritual so he keeps on going ignoring anything around him.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

7. - Top - End - #487
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

With Jessica staying behind Taz runs ahead as fast as she can to catch up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Run to the others and a bit past if possible

8. - Top - End - #488
    Ettin in the Playground

The three of you try to follow Eliza and have some success keeping up. The situation even looks positive to Laurelata as the invisibility spell is to expire sometime soon and the forest ahead is not dense enough to really hide, at least at short distance. If anything, it would be even easier to see Eliza trampling on assorted broadleaf plants as opposed to short goat-grazed grass. And then you hear another invisibility spell cast. You are all sure of it as it sounds exactly like the last time... and then she moves again?

Spoiler
    Show
    Eliza's stealth check after she casts the spell (a single move action): (1d20-3)[-1] vs hearing (or +5 that vs hearing if you attempt to run, but likely no point at the moment; 10 feet of the distance is figured in), +20 more vs sight

Hewitt remains busy enough while Rayland and Jessica keep on talking.

"She?" Rayland takes a moment to think. "I cannot positively rule it out and not competent in those things to begin with, but no, nothing concrete hints at such a delegation." Then he thinks a bit more and sheathes the sword, still looking at the chase. "You might want to tie me, sooner or later."
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-11-10 at 01:51 PM.

9. - Top - End - #489

NecromancerGuy

Henri hears the spellcasting and stops running, huffing and looking pained from the effort. With a grunt of annoyance and shaking his head he turns to look back at the two PCs and Rayland. With a sigh he begins walking that way, silently listening to their discussion.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata was right on Eliza's tail when she heard her casting again. she covered the distance, rapier drawn and tried to stab again.

Show

I heard where she is:
    attack: [rol]1d20+5[/roll] for damage: (1d6+3)[5]
    miss chance (50+ on d100 is hit): (1d100)[16]

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

11. - Top - End - #491
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt keeps working on the ritual.

Show
    Since it takes one minute, I wont be doing much yet.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

12. - Top - End - #492
    Ettin in the Playground

Laurelata stabs the empty air. Tazmara runs as fast as she can, finally catching up with her and preparing to blast, but then you hear, and actually see, the invisible Eliza running away at full speed into the sparse forest, trampling and pushing aside boadleaf undergrowth...

Spoiler
    Show
    Eliza takes a run action. She can take at least a few more until it gets too dense. That is, if she's not overly picky about the direction. Laurelata would have no problem following (effectively alone, as she's the only one fast enough to keep up and Henri has given up already) OR shooting at the full-concealment target for, say two rounds, at ever increasing distance. I don't think we have to play this by the round, just do what it is.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"This way," Laurelata shouts to the others as she follows Eliza a bit before trying to shoot her. That would give them an aim point at least.

Show

move action: move 30ft closer
    attack:
    if needed, I can make another attack: (1d20+5)[24] for damage: (1d6+3)[6]
    miss chance (50+ is hit): (1d100)[79]

bow damage in OOC topic
    Last edited by farothel; 2022-11-18 at 12:44 PM.

14. - Top - End - #494
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by u-b View Post
    "You might want to tie me, sooner or later."
    Jessica is obviously surprised by Rayland's comment. "Oh! When the spell lapses... Here, I've got rope." She immediately sets to tightly wrapping the rope around his wrists. "Henri? A little help? Rayland here suspects he'll be under her control again soon, but we've got more information now than we did before." She turns back to the man, eager to make the best of his brief lucidity.

"Since there's no point playing coy, we'll bring you into the compound. We've got a few rooms we can repurpose as cells, and we can make use of the guards' efforts. Do you mind letting us hold onto your weapons and armor for now? I promise, as soon as we can we'll break her domination fully."

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

As Eliza moved on, Lauralata followed more slowly but still shooting. As the woman had an arrow sticking out, she could now follow easier.

Show

move 30ft in the right direction
    attack: (1d20+5)[25] for damage: (1d8+1)[8] (add (2d6)[11] extra damage if target is evil)
    miss chance 20% (above 20 is hit): (1d100)[28]

16. - Top - End - #496
    Ettin in the Playground

Laurelata hits something invisible with one of her arrows and then, five seconds later, while she barely sees the fletching of the first arrow quickly move away, lodges another one right beside it. The fletchings seem to stumble, stop running and disappear behind a nearby bush.

"Wait, wait, not so fast! If you want me to remove the armor, that's quicker done with my hands not tied..." he drops the shield and the sword and then proceeds to remove the breastplate "...how much time do we have?"

He then adds while still busy. "I do belive the domination needs refreshing. We'll just have to live long enough everyone." And then adds to that... "Can be problematic."

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+14)[23] (considering two run actions minus two move actions, 180 feet of range penalties factored in; you still well know the spot where you've last seen her)

Anyone proficient with a breastplate can tell that removing it takes a minute or so, half that if somebody helps.

=> Party (up to two rounds if you give a chase, more if you do not)

17. - Top - End - #497
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata has set a course, so she would follow said course. Moving further and following the tracks and what she hears, she tries to follow Eliza. She fires two more arrows, but both miss.

Spoiler: OOC actions
    Show

round 1:
    perception: (1d20+9)[19]
    attack: (1d20+3)[19] (-2 for range increment) for damage: (1d8+1)[9] (add (2d6)[7] extra damage if target is evil)
    miss chance 20% (above 20 is hit): (1d100)[15]

round 2:
    perception: (1d20+9)[22]
    attack: (1d20+3)[23] (-2 for range increment) for damage: (1d8+1)[4] (add (2d6)[5] extra damage if target is evil)
    miss chance 20% (above 20 is hit): (1d100)[4]
    Last edited by farothel; 2022-11-22 at 01:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #498

NecromancerGuy

Henri arrives back with Jessica and their...guest...? Once he takes in the task at hand he nods and begins to help the man out of his armor, his confident, experienced hands making short work of the process.

19. - Top - End - #499
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica frowns, obviously deeply concerned. "I'm not sure we have time... Throw aside your weapons! Quick!" She begins calling upon Shelyn to Bless herself and her allies, in preparation for a fight she hopes doesn't come. "We should be able to subdue you without hurting your too much, if it comes to it..."

Clearly distraught, nonetheless she calls to the others, an any guards still nearby. "We've got some answers! Come help us make sure he doesn't get hurt!"

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ettin in the Playground

Laurelata mostly sees leaves and grass. She shoots two arrows... somewhere. She hits where she's aiming, but nope, no invisible Eliza at that point of space and time. She does maybe one extra try at that or another and then hears another time the same spell is cast. Behind the same bush Eliza has stepped. So, she didn't move after that? What she did?

Rayland, meanwhile, looks a bit surprised with Jessica's reaction. Looks at his weapon, which is on the ground, then shrugs and continues to remove the breastplate. "Easy there. I'm still with you."

Spoiler
    Show
    The next time I post Lightburn will be up and the breastplate will be off.

21. - Top - End - #501

NecromancerGuy

Henri grunts at all the chaos as he steadily loosens straps and helps their prisoner...guest...precursor?...out of his armor. "Less panic, steady...Slow is smooth, smooth is fast..."

22. - Top - End - #502
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt keeps the ritual going. Not much left before Lightburn could join and assist in protecting them all.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

23. - Top - End - #503
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata stopped shooting and started listening, while moving around and trying to close the distance. As soon as she heard the woman casting again, she would home in on the sound and shoot again.

Show

first round: double move (60ft) towards the last sounds to close the distance.
    perception: (1d20+9)[22]

second round: 1 move (30ft) and then shoot: (1d20+5)[8] for damage: (1d8+1)[5] ((2d6)[5] extra damage if evil).
    miss chance (above 50 is hit): (1d100)[17]

24. - Top - End - #504
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica nods unsteadily, a little soothed by Rayland's calm words. "But you're gonna disappear any moment? I mean, when the spell ends, it takes over again?" She stands by, ready to re-cast the spell that brought Rayland to the surface in the first place.

Show
    Ready an action to cast protection from evil if Rayland attacks someone (assuming that such an action is indicative of being controlled again)

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ettin in the Playground

Rayland is done removing the armor. He's ready and willing to be bound. At Lightburn's appearance, he smirks. "Can he sniff?" He just nods to Jess, because what else is to be said?

Meanwhile, Laurelata finds herself alone some 30 feet from Eliza who's casting... something that takes time to cast. Laurelata is pretty sure about the direction and somewhat sure about the distance, but there is also a bush in between.

Spoiler: Lightburn
    Show
    Lightburn probably needs to be briefed about the situation, but he sure can sniff these two. They both smell fairly distinctively, part-humanly, but also sort of fishy or what... Lightburn is not terribly familiar with the "or what", but he can move along the fresh Eliza's trail at double move and without a check.
    Spoiler: Laurelata
    Show
    The bush is just a bit of difficult terrain and/or a detour since Eliza already has full concealment.

=> Party (one round please)

26. - Top - End - #506

NecromancerGuy

Henri quickly and with clear experience ties Rayland's hands behind his back. "Sorry if this hurts, but it's got to be tight," he says to the man as he pulls the rope loops and ensures they won't be easily loosed. "I'm sure we can track her - she's messy..."

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata moved so the bush wasn't in her way, just in case she would run again. Then homing in on the sound of casting, she fired again, hoping to interrupt the casting.

Show

move 30ft to move around the bush (but still maintaining some distance, just in case).
    attack: (1d20+5)[7] for damage: (1d8+1)[2] ((2d6)[10] extra damage in case she's evil)
    concealment (50+ to hit): (1d100)[44]

28. - Top - End - #508
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt explains about the urgency of the situation, mostly about the details about what the rest of the party were looking for. Lightburn then shares what he was sensing himself. Hewitt debates for a moment about leaving Jessica alone to help the rest of the party. He asks if Jessica would be fine left with Rayland so he could help the rest of the party.

Show
    If Jessica agrees, he will leave immediately to help track with Lightburn. Otherwise, he will stay.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ettin in the Playground

Rayland shrugs. "It is not super comfortable, especially long-term, so let's hope you dump me some place with a bunk and undo this part."

Lightburn gets the situation quite fast. In fact, he still can barely see Tazmara and, behind her, Laurelata shooting at somewhere behind some bush.

Laurelata, meanwhile, misses again and then things really start happening. First, Eliza appears. She has apparently completed a spell. An attack or something? But Laurelata can neither see nor feel any effect. And then Eliza casts another spell, this one Laurelata can certainly feel...

Spoiler
    Show
    Lightburn can start his run. Unless anyone backtracks the thread and does the calculations, it will be three full rounds for Lightburn, longer for other people.

A spell with one full round casting time goes off at the start of Eliza's turn. It's Sleep targeting Tazmara.
    Tazmara will: (1d20+2)[17] - saved

Then Eliza casts Mind Thrust II targeting Laurelata.
    Mind Thrust II: (5d8)[19] (will save for half; spellcraft to identify works only for Laurelata and Taz)

=> Party (everyone, any order)

30. - Top - End - #510

NecromancerGuy

Henri nods, satisfied with his work, and turns back to look in the direction of the woods. "They haven't come back..." he says seriously. With a gesture to the others to follow he turns and begins shuffling as fast as he can in the direction of the ongoing conflict...