New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: Ruins of Azlant IC 2

"I really start thinking of claiming this place," Laurelata said, "there's a lot of interesting stuff here. So what more do we have."
    She looks closer at the construct. She's not going to spend hours looking at things, but some time to figure out the main stuff the things does.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica immediately starts approaching the written notes. Listening to Laurelata on her way, she chuckles. "I don't know. Though the inhabitants have long-since passed on, it seems we'll have to fight for it, regardless."

As she's given a few moments to read the notes, she quickly discovers them to be instructional in nature. "Interesting... If I- wait, everyone back away for a moment. It occurs to me that even following the rules could be more dangerous than it... should." She gives her allies a moment to get a few paces clearance, before turning her attention back to the ring.

"I think this will make any magical items inside the circle appear as such- even to people who usually can't use the spell or see the auras...." She carefully places a small potion from her pack in the ring, and aligns the knobs according to the writings.

"If I understand it right, there's a.... well, we don't precisely have a word for this in common, but it's a word that roughly means "finding out what's wrong." It applies to.... complicated things- machines, like those figures in the last room. You could put them here and it would tell you why it wasn't working right. Of course, now it would probably say 'because you smashed it all up,' but if it was... not horribly broken, it might provide useful information." As she tinkers, she quickly finds the discovery to be quite invigorating. "We aren't really in a hurry, are we? Let's see what it says, anyway!"
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Assuming the party doesn't object, Jessica will go ahead and take the biggest portion of the destroyed constructs and place it in the circle, attempting to use the ring's diagnostic settings.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt adds "I really want to know what happened here. There is so much history waiting to be unvelied here. I just wish there were some records from the creators of this place. Anything that could help piece together the past of this advanced civilization." Hewiit decides to observe to Jesssica´s actions wondering if this will actually work.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

4. - Top - End - #124
    Ettin in the Playground

You set the metal ring on the floor to detect magic and place a potion inside. It shines as it should, and then continues to shine until you remove it from the circle. Those of you without magical ability now have first-hand experience of what an aura looms like, whatever good that experience might be. Then you set it to construct diagnostics mode and use it on an effectively destroyed construct. In fact, there are more than one mode, so you cycle them all. By the end of this you have the following info:
    1. It is a clockwork servant, a generic humanoid model, sapient, S/N SS13454-121.
    2. It is currently non-operational. The malfinctioning parts are: <a rather long list>.
    3. To repair it, replacing the following parts is recommended: <one part number> (you scratch your heads on this, then decide this must be the whole torso assembly).
    4. The service manual for this model should be at shelf location 4.7 at this facility (you check the shelf in the next room, where there is such a number, but at the specified location there's nothing but dust).

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want more specific info, roll something apropriate (like engineering or clockwork) vs DC 10 to get it.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Jessica looks up from the empty shelf with an unreadable expression. "I... I don't know what to say!" she admits, with something like excitement. "I honestly didn't even expect to find this shelf, though perhaps I should have. It seems obvious the... creators here were meticulously detailed in their efforts- including the storage of instructions." She glances longingly at the ruined construct. "Just fascinating," she finally murmurs.

Content that there isn't more she can learn from the situation, she looks to her companions. "Any other ideas, or should we press on? I'm still pretty convinced we'll find some sign of the first wave further in. There's just no better explanation for that bit about '126 days ago.'"

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata was quite impressed with the machine and tried to figure out some more information. It was very interesting and if she ever wanted to make these kinds of automatons herself, she would need a machine like this.

Spoiler: OOC rolls
    Show

craft(clockwork): (1d20+7)[23]

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Laurelata fiddles with the controls, tunes the readings... well, it does turns out that building these machines is quite easy, whatever good does this knowledge give you: you just take a few parts with the specified part numbers, assemble them together just as described in a certain part of the nonexistent manual, and presto! Having no contracts with relevant suppliers, Laurelata dives deeper. The circle readily displays that any of those part numbers can be assembled from a number of other part numbers, also according to the same manual. She learns that some spells must be cast to make this thing work - the parts can be ordered with them pre-cast or thay can be cast on-site. Laurelata dives deeper again. And again. Well, it ends with part numbers. Nowhere it says how to produce the smallest parts. All that she gets are references to documentation. Laurelata spends an hour diving through this and gets much better understanding of now the heads work (she's mostly interested in the heads how that she knows the information is incomplete), what are their most common malfunction modes and stuff like that.

Spoiler
    Show
    +2 to work with those heads. The spells mentioned are geas/quest, make whole and fox’s cunning (the later being optional).

You can roll spellcraft or arcana 15 to see if you have other ideas.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Henri watches the proceedings patiently but keeps an eye and ear out for signs of threats throughout the hour-long investigation of the strange circle.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt also decides to watch everything with Lightburn. "This is very fascinating. I kind of wonder what other marvelous things they were capable creating." Lightburn nods in agreement.
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

10. - Top - End - #130
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"True," Laurelata said, turning away from the circle, "but I think we might better continue our investigation of the building. This we can come back to easily and maybe we find some manuals or other interesting things that can help us later."
    She won't continue the investigation of the circle for now, but having made some notes, she will continue after they inspected the rest of the building.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

You proceed to the stairs, which, in fact, turn out to be a ramps, and rather steep ones. Lightburn quietly warns you about a fishman ahead. You prepare for combat and advance with care. You do not see any fishman, but then a shadow appears on the floor and a fishman casting that shadow reaches down from above with a glaive to chop at the head of whoever is in the lead...

Spoiler
    Show

I am not sure who is in the lead, so go ahead and choose the victim. He will be in AW18.

Fishman init: (1d20+6)[23]
    Party leader init: (1d20)[5] (+X)

Fishman glaive: (1d20+11)[27] for (1d10+7)[16] (incl. higher ground; vs full armor, but will hit anyway)

The fisherman has lover body covered: +4 cover vs reach weapons, +8 cover vs non-reach weapons, +2 cover vs projectiles. You can fight on these terms, retreat, move forward while provoking AoOs, duck down out of reach (halves your speed and requires a withdraw maneuver to do safely), attack his weapon or invent something else. The guy seems competent enough and his glaive is very well made. The slope is not difficult terrain, you cannot run upwards, but can otherwise move normally.

=> Party (everyone, any order)
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-03-12 at 01:12 PM.

12. - Top - End - #132

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 1, Henri's Status
    Show
    Henri
    Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 3, Init 1 (+2 in Jungle), HP 7/30, Speed 20 ft
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 18, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 5, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Greataxe +5 (1d12+12, 20/x3)
    Breastplate (+6 Armor, +1 Dex, +1 Natural)
    Abilities Str 18, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 7
    Condition Power Attack

"Gah! Back down!" groans Henri as the creature's glaive cuts deep and his wounds threaten to overwhelm him. "If we can talk him down, do it, but I need healing before I try to charge past his guard!"

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    Henri is (suddenly) in single digits. Would like to retreat back down, using a withdraw action to duck down out of reach. He needs healing before charging up through an enemy guarding with a reach weapon...

13. - Top - End - #133
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata fired an arrow at the guy to cover Henri's retreat and also to make the critter think about other things than taking out Henri.

Spoiler: OOC round 1
    Show

shoot: (1d20+5)[10] (cover not taken into account in the roll, will normally be done in the AC if I'm not mistaken)
    damage: (1d8+1)[3] (and (2d6)[9] extra damage if the target is evil)

Laurelata
    F CG Elf Rogue (unchained), Level 3, Init 9, HP 18/18, Speed 30
    AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 15, Fort 1, Ref 6, Will 2, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Rapier +5 (1d6+3, 18-20/x2)
    holy, reliquary, Str+1 composite longbow +1 (20 arrows) +5 (1d8+1 (+2d6), x3)
    dagger +5 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
    masterwork, magical chainshirt +1 (+5 Armor, +3 Dex)
    Abilities Str 11, Dex 16, Con 10, Int 16, Wis 12, Cha 14
    Condition None

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ettin in the Playground

Laurelata shoots "somewhere that way" and everyone retreats back to the ground floor. You are not pursued. From where you are, you do not see the fishman. You also no longer see his glaive. Everything seems to be rather quiet as Henri continues to drip more blood on the floor.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt wonders about how and if they should proceed. "It seems like there is going to be more resistance up ahead. I just hope we have enough resources. I am out of my strongest magic."
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Taz stares up the steps, bracing herself to fire when the creature charges. When no pursuit comes, she drops her guard. "That is a challenging ambush... Hewitt - could you summon a creature to take the hit?"

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

"Here, Henri. Let me help," Jessica murmurs as she approaches her injured companion. Scowling, she calls upon another blessing of Shelyn.

Show
    converting protection from evil into CLW: (1d8+3)[4] HP. Then channeling for 8 HP Still 2 channels remaining.

"That would be fortunate if we can, Hewitt. It would save precious healing, though I understand Lightburn would have to... uh... wait? Somewhere else?" Clearly, Jessica isn't quite clear on the details, but recalls their earlier conversations well enough.

18. - Top - End - #138

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 2, Henri's Status
    Show
    Henri
    Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 3, Init 1 (+2 in Jungle), HP 19/30, Speed 20 ft
    AC 18, Touch 11, Flat-footed 17, CMD 18, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 5, CMB +7, Base Attack Bonus 3
    Condition Power Attack

As his wounds seal up Henri looks better, though still not fully whole. With a glare he looks up the ramp towards his unseen attacker. "Summons? Better than one of us taking a strike like that one..." he growls unhappily.

Show
    Henri will hang tight, ready to defend anyone that gets attacked.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt nods. "Thanks for the assistance, Lightburn but we might need a distraction right about now. I´ll see if I can call you later back. Thanks for everything for the time being." Hewitt gently pats Lightburn in the forehead before dismissing it. "As for the creature, I suppose a wolf should suffice." Hewitt then uses his summon monster ability to call forth a celerstial wolf. "Go and attack the fishman awaiting ahead, please."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

If it manages to find and reach the fishman on its turn, here is the attack roll (bite) (1d20+2)[6]
    Damage (1d6+1)[2]
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

The wolf hurries forward, up the ramp, to the right and out of sight. You hear a thud, a short yelp, and then silence.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you want to follow, roll initiative. Rolls of 12+ get full round worth of actions, everybody else gets standard action this round.

=> Party

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Laurelata had switched to her rapier and as soon as the wolf left, she followed, staying as close to the wall as possible to get up before their enemies could recover.

Spoiler: OOC round 1
    Show

move up following the wolf.
    If I can get to an enemy: attack (1d20+5)[11] for damage: (1d6+3)[6] (if sneak attack applies: (2d6)[6]
    If not, double move to get into close combat.

Laurelata
    AC 18, Touch 13, Flat-footed 15, CMD 15, Fort 1, Ref 6, Will 2, CMB +2, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Condition None

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

"Hurry, hurry!" Jessica urges. Following the summoned wolf and Laurelata up the ramp, she moves to engage with the fishman with perhaps surprising assertiveness.

Spoiler: Jessica, round 1
    Show
    Jessica Cooper
    F NG Aasimar (Angel-blooded) Cleric, Level 3, Init 2, HP 20/20, DR Acid, Cold, Elec resist 5, Speed
    AC 11, Touch 11, Flat-footed 10, CMD 15, Fort 4, Ref 2, Will 5, CMB +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
    Glaive +4 (1d10+3, x3)
    Dagger +4/+3 (1d4+1, 19-20,x2)
    Abilities Str 14, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 16
    Condition +2 CL for divination spells
    Augery 2/2 (weekly)
    Inner beauty: 1/1
    Alter self: 1/1
    Channel energy: 2/9, 2d6
    Caravan Bond: (5/5) All allies, currently not including Lightburn
    Touch of good: 3/5
    Bit of Luck: 3/5
    Talisman of good fortune: reroll natural 1 (once, then it crumbles)
    Bless: 1/1
    Protection from Evil: 0/1
    Unprepared slots: 1

Move and attack seems the prudent play:
    (1d20+4)[16] glaive
    (1d20+4)[14] crit confirmation (24)
    (1d10+3)[13] damage
    (2d10+6)[14] crit bonus damage

23. - Top - End - #143

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 1(?), Henri's Status
    Show
    Henri
    Male True Neutral Half-Orc Ranger (Wild Stalker), Level 3, Init 1 (+2 in Jungle), HP 19/30, Speed 20 ft
    Condition Power Attack

With a shrug Henri hustles up the ramp behind the wolf, intent on violence once he gets to the top...

Show
    I don't think Henri can get into melee range, but if he can, he will. Power Attack with Greataxe: (1d20+5)[7] to hit, (1d20+5)[10] (20/x3), (1d12+12)[23] slashing damage, (2d12+24)[43] critical strike damage

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Taz sprints up after everyone else and positions herself at the far side of the room ready to strike.

Spoiler
    Show
    Double move, stand away from agressors

25. - Top - End - #145
    Troll in the Playground

Hewitt stays in the back of the party for the moment especially in case te summon was dismissed and he needed to cast another one.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores:

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ettin in the Playground

The fishman seemingly did not expect this kind of charge, but it still takes some time to get around to reach him, so by the time you do that he is ready to act once again. He makes a step back and to his left, puting himself against a bookshelf on one side and the outer wall on another. He swings the glaive at Henri and the best the half-orc manages is to get a glancing blow against his breastplate. The fishman seems less than happy by that.

Spoiler
    Show

Fishman glaive: (1d20+11)[17] for (1d10+7)[12]

Hewitt is at the bottom of AV18.

=> Party
    Last edited by u-b; 2022-03-22 at 01:17 PM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

"Let's swarm it," Laurelata said as she moved closer cautiously and tried to stab the fishman.

Spoiler: OOC round 2
    Show

free action: 5ft step to AV19
    attack (1d20+5)[14] for damage: (1d6+3)[6]

Laurelata
    Condition None

28. - Top - End - #148

NecromancerGuy

Spoiler: Round 2, Henri's Status
    Show
    Henri
    Condition Power Attack

With a grim nod Henri moves forward, deliberately taking any attacks from the enemy so his allies can help him surround the attacker. He raises his axe high for an overhand strike!

Show
    Henri will move to AT-19 (likely incurring an AoO) and Power Attack with his Greataxe: (1d20+5)[11] to hit, (1d20+5)[7] (20/x3), (1d12+12)[17] slashing damage, (2d12+24)[38] critical strike damage

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

With a grunt, Taz draws in a bit more power and launches a powerful blast of water attempting to shove the fishman onto uncertain footing.

Spoiler: Taz, Round 2
    Show
    Free: maintain point of burn - +1/+2 to att/dam of blast, also +5 cold resist.
    Move: channel
    Standard: pushing infusion water blast on the fishman (attempt push to AT18)
    Attack: (1d20+6)[9] (cover not included if needed)
    Damage: (2d6+9)[14]
    (if attack hits) bull rush: (1d20+8)[14] (cover not relevant)

Spoiler: Taz stats
    Show
    Tazmara Stonesong
    F NG Dwarf Kineticist (Aquakineticist), Level 23, Init 2, HP 33/33 (NL 3), DR Cold/pressure - 6 (1), Speed 20 / 20 (swim)
    AC 15, Touch 12, Flat-footed 13, CMD 14, Fort 7, Ref 6, Will 2, CMB +3, Base Attack Bonus 2
    PBS Water Blast +6 (2d6+9, x2)
    Dagger +3 (+4 thrown) (1d4+2, 19-20/x2)
    Heavy Pick +3 (1d6+1, x4)
    Studded Leather (+3 Armor, +2 Dex)
    Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 8
    Condition Burn 1
    Having a swim speed grants a +8 bonus on some swim checks (most others are not needed)

30. - Top - End - #150
    Troll in the Playground

"Can anyone see if the summoned wolf is still there?" Hewitt requests as he waits to see if there is going to be the need for another summon.
    or Star Wars.
    Show

Ability Scores: