New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Masters of the Universe Part 2

I finally got around to seeing where the set up of part 1 was headed, and didn't see a thread already up. It may be of no surprise to many that Part 2 was pretty bad and did not redeem or salvage anything from Part 1.

The episodes were kind of all over the place for me and it all feels a little disjointed as I try to think about what to comment on.

I think, after watching part 2, it is hard to say that this show is about He-Man or not trying to side-line He-Man and Skeletor.

Spoiler: He-Man and Skeletor
    Show
    1. Skeletor is not the main villain, and He-Man is not the main hero. You can remove He-Man from the fight scenes and nothing changes, because Evil-Lyn still gets powered up, and the King and Queen and Man at Arms and Andra and Orko are still fighting the forces of evil. In fact, if you remove He-Man, Skeletor is less powerful because He-Man returns Skeletor's champion status to him when he regains the Power Sword.

2. There is a part where a battle is raging on outside of Castle Grayskull and He-Man is fighting Skeletor inside the Castle. Ram Man shows up and hits Skeletor with a bomb and tells He-Man his mom wants him fighting outside. So He-Man literally leaves Skeletor in the castle and goes outside to fight. Skeletor shows up a little later on the battlefield and literally says "I will not be ignored" because in this giant epic battle, He-Man thinks you can just walk away from Skeletor and everything will be okay. By the way, this was Champion Skeletor, with The Power.

3. As He-Man and Skeletor are fighting, it's juxtaposed with Teela trying to talk Evil-Lyn away from being evil. At one point, Skeletor is saying to He-Man how this is how it is supposed to be "Skeletor vs He-Man" and He-Man literally says "It's not about you and me!" and literally throws Skeletor away into the horizon, never to be seen again by the heroes.

4. After the universe is saved and everything is winding down, Prince Adam says to Teela "Well, now that you're the Sorceress and you can leave the Castle, I guess you won't be needing He-Man around anymore" and Teela has to affirm that there is still a place for him beside her, as if letting the audience know "Don't worry, we just switched everything up but we will still let He-Man hang out with us".

Spoiler: Resentment
    Show
    Both Teela and Prince Adam are depicted as carrying around a lot of unresolved baggage which, in my opinion, makes them less likable as heroes.

Teela is of course still sour about the secret being kept from her. This never gets resolved. Adam clearly feels bad about it, but it never really gets discussed. There are a couple of lines and Teela reiterates that his secrets "hurt people", as if she's not literally talking about one person; herself. Later on, Teela also gets to whine about her mother leaving her and her father to become the Sorceress. Then Teela, who literally abandoned everyone without a second thought and nursed a grudge even when face to face with the spirit of her best friend in Heaven, gets to educate her mother on what "connections" are and why friends and family make you stronger and blah blah blah. Apparently, the Sorceress had it wrong all along and Teela knew how to truly wield the power of the universe through love and friendship. Because Teela is obviously the paragon of these traits.

Over to Prince Adam, yeah, they took this good, kind-hearted soul and gave him a heaping dose of resentment. So... Adam says something like "You see, the Sword is the conduit, but the spark, that was always me", insinuating that Adam has some power that the Sword helps him channel or something. They literally never revisit this concept after this. But Adam calls down the power without the Sword and transforms into a giant hulking raging Tarzan that goes on a rampage and starts tearing everything apart. He is literally out of control and killing anything in his path. When he hears the King is nearby, his rage is suddenly focused on the King and he tears through Eternian soldiers to get to the King. No one can control him or power him down until the King admits that, as a father, he treated Adam unfairly and didn't give him the proper love and affection he needed. This admission soothes the beast, and the raging hulk reverts back to Prince Adam.

The thing is... Prince Adam acts silly to disguise the fact that he's He-Man. He's considered cowardly because every time something bad happens he vanishes (to transform into He-Man). I don't know why Kevin Smith is taking this and putting it on the King as if he is guilty of a sin here for judging his son. Whereas this was a part of Prince Adam's sacrifice in being He-Man, now it's a source for angsty adolescent rage. So cool...

(BTW, I think this was the "epic" thing Kevin Smith was talking about when people complained that he killed He-Man off twice. The problem for me here is 1. he is a mindless killing machine and 2. IIRC he is killing Eternians. I think Skeletor or Evil-Lyn transforms the people of Eternos into like undead monsters, and He-Man just starts ripping them apart. The animation was cool but I was more feeling "Well... that sucks" as he killed the former citizens of Eternos.)

Spoiler: Evil-Lyn
    Show

Evil-Lyn had a lot of potential. I would say that the highlights of the series are Lena Heady and the animation. It would have been interesting to see Evil-Lyn go forward as someone that witnessed the void and became insane from it. But for whatever reason, Evil-Lyn had to be redeemed; her evil was because of Skeletor, as Beast-Man tells us, and Skeletor tells us, and Evil-Lyn, and Teela and Orko. So Evil-Lyn, after literally destroying Heaven, gets to be carried gently down by Teela and reformed.

The power levels were confusing to me. If I missed something, please someone let me know so I can understand.

The Power Sword allows you to call down the power and become a Champion. When Prince Adam regains the Power Sword and becomes He-Man, shouldn't Evil-Lyn have lost the Power? But she remained a champion. She was fighting He-Man and Champion Skeletor. Did He-Man just allow her to keep the Champion powers? Evil-Lyn is still holding her own against He-Man and Champion Skeletor, and this is before the convergence or whatever it was that was happening in the universe to power up Evil-Lyn. So I'm not exactly sure how this was supposed to work. Even after Evil-Lyn gains all of the universe powers, Teela doesn't really seemed challenged by it. Later on, He-Man just clowns Champion Skeletor as well, suggesting that not even the Power can help Skeletor defeat He-Man.

Anyways... this show is bad. I'm assuming most people haven't seen it. I don't recommend you watch it. They set up for a part 3 but I doubt that will happen at this point.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Masters of the Universe Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    I finally got around to seeing where the set up of part 1 was headed, and didn't see a thread already up. It may be of no surprise to many that Part 2 was pretty bad and did not redeem or salvage anything from Part 1.

The episodes were kind of all over the place for me and it all feels a little disjointed as I try to think about what to comment on.

I think, after watching part 2, it is hard to say that this show is about He-Man or not trying to side-line He-Man and Skeletor.

Spoiler: He-Man and Skeletor
    Show
    1. Skeletor is not the main villain, and He-Man is not the main hero. You can remove He-Man from the fight scenes and nothing changes, because Evil-Lyn still gets powered up, and the King and Queen and Man at Arms and Andra and Orko are still fighting the forces of evil. In fact, if you remove He-Man, Skeletor is less powerful because He-Man returns Skeletor's champion status to him when he regains the Power Sword.

2. There is a part where a battle is raging on outside of Castle Grayskull and He-Man is fighting Skeletor inside the Castle. Ram Man shows up and hits Skeletor with a bomb and tells He-Man his mom wants him fighting outside. So He-Man literally leaves Skeletor in the castle and goes outside to fight. Skeletor shows up a little later on the battlefield and literally says "I will not be ignored" because in this giant epic battle, He-Man thinks you can just walk away from Skeletor and everything will be okay. By the way, this was Champion Skeletor, with The Power.

3. As He-Man and Skeletor are fighting, it's juxtaposed with Teela trying to talk Evil-Lyn away from being evil. At one point, Skeletor is saying to He-Man how this is how it is supposed to be "Skeletor vs He-Man" and He-Man literally says "It's not about you and me!" and literally throws Skeletor away into the horizon, never to be seen again by the heroes.

4. After the universe is saved and everything is winding down, Prince Adam says to Teela "Well, now that you're the Sorceress and you can leave the Castle, I guess you won't be needing He-Man around anymore" and Teela has to affirm that there is still a place for him beside her, as if letting the audience know "Don't worry, we just switched everything up but we will still let He-Man hang out with us".

Spoiler: Resentment
    Show
    Both Teela and Prince Adam are depicted as carrying around a lot of unresolved baggage which, in my opinion, makes them less likable as heroes.

Teela is of course still sour about the secret being kept from her. This never gets resolved. Adam clearly feels bad about it, but it never really gets discussed. There are a couple of lines and Teela reiterates that his secrets "hurt people", as if she's not literally talking about one person; herself. Later on, Teela also gets to whine about her mother leaving her and her father to become the Sorceress. Then Teela, who literally abandoned everyone without a second thought and nursed a grudge even when face to face with the spirit of her best friend in Heaven, gets to educate her mother on what "connections" are and why friends and family make you stronger and blah blah blah. Apparently, the Sorceress had it wrong all along and Teela knew how to truly wield the power of the universe through love and friendship. Because Teela is obviously the paragon of these traits.

Over to Prince Adam, yeah, they took this good, kind-hearted soul and gave him a heaping dose of resentment. So... Adam says something like "You see, the Sword is the conduit, but the spark, that was always me", insinuating that Adam has some power that the Sword helps him channel or something. They literally never revisit this concept after this. But Adam calls down the power without the Sword and transforms into a giant hulking raging Tarzan that goes on a rampage and starts tearing everything apart. He is literally out of control and killing anything in his path. When he hears the King is nearby, his rage is suddenly focused on the King and he tears through Eternian soldiers to get to the King. No one can control him or power him down until the King admits that, as a father, he treated Adam unfairly and didn't give him the proper love and affection he needed. This admission soothes the beast, and the raging hulk reverts back to Prince Adam.

The thing is... Prince Adam acts silly to disguise the fact that he's He-Man. He's considered cowardly because every time something bad happens he vanishes (to transform into He-Man). I don't know why Kevin Smith is taking this and putting it on the King as if he is guilty of a sin here for judging his son. Whereas this was a part of Prince Adam's sacrifice in being He-Man, now it's a source for angsty adolescent rage. So cool...

(BTW, I think this was the "epic" thing Kevin Smith was talking about when people complained that he killed He-Man off twice. The problem for me here is 1. he is a mindless killing machine and 2. IIRC he is killing Eternians. I think Skeletor or Evil-Lyn transforms the people of Eternos into like undead monsters, and He-Man just starts ripping them apart. The animation was cool but I was more feeling "Well... that sucks" as he killed the former citizens of Eternos.)

Show

Evil-Lyn had a lot of potential. I would say that the highlights of the series are Lena Heady and the animation. It would have been interesting to see Evil-Lyn go forward as someone that witnessed the void and became insane from it. But for whatever reason, Evil-Lyn had to be redeemed; her evil was because of Skeletor, as Beast-Man tells us, and Skeletor tells us, and Evil-Lyn, and Teela and Orko. So Evil-Lyn, after literally destroying Heaven, gets to be carried gently down by Teela and reformed.

The power levels were confusing to me. If I missed something, please someone let me know so I can understand.

The Power Sword allows you to call down the power and become a Champion. When Prince Adam regains the Power Sword and becomes He-Man, shouldn't Evil-Lyn have lost the Power? But she remained a champion. She was fighting He-Man and Champion Skeletor. Did He-Man just allow her to keep the Champion powers? Evil-Lyn is still holding her own against He-Man and Champion Skeletor, and this is before the convergence or whatever it was that was happening in the universe to power up Evil-Lyn. So I'm not exactly sure how this was supposed to work. Even after Evil-Lyn gains all of the universe powers, Teela doesn't really seemed challenged by it. Later on, He-Man just clowns Champion Skeletor as well, suggesting that not even the Power can help Skeletor defeat He-Man.

Anyways... this show is bad. I'm assuming most people haven't seen it. I don't recommend you watch it. They set up for a part 3 but I doubt that will happen at this point.
    I enjoyed it far more than the first half of the season, but that's mostly for 2 reasons. The first half was a lot of setup, and the Animation Quality was a lot worse in the first half. The pacing seems much improved and I liked the way the story developed. Adam and Teela seem to share top billing with Teela having a bit more focus, but surprisingly Adam taking the leadership role in a surprising way.

As far as Skeletor, I liked what they did with him in that he was the only character that refused to change and grow, and because of that was left behind by the story. Skeletor thought small, and so ended up being replaced First by EvilLynn and Second by
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hordak
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I honestly quite enjoyed the show, especially part 2. There are some quibbles of course, and it's far from perfect. But it was entertaining for an afternoon, and that's all I really wanted out of it.

I'd say it's worth a watch, all in all, but I wouldn't put it right to the top of my list.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Just a thought, any idea a bout Masters of Universe being given Warhammer: Endtimes treatment.
    Spoiler: End Times spoiler based on Bardic Podcast
    Show

Skeletor: I have been rightful wielder of Grey Skull all along.
    He Man: Me and my ancestors were phoney usurpers all along
    *Cue gold marines*
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

I also liked it. Although to be honest, I enjoyed the other Netflix He-Man better, but this one was still fun, too.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

I told myself I was going to wait until the entire series came out before watching it, cause the entire thing felt and looked like a single season broken into two parts when that was not the intent. Then I got some reviews from people who's opinions I trust on what happened and honest to goodness? I'm good on not watching this. I'm probably better off just rewatching the 2001 He-Man or the CGI one then another one of Kevin Smith's projects and 'deconstructions'.

Like I don't think there's a single aspect of this series that sounds enjoyable, its like someone wished for this series on a monkey's paw so you get fun ideas but twisted into something unlikable.
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

This is another controversial series that I didn't find to be very controversial. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the controversy was drummed up for free advertising. Unfortunately, I also didn't find it to be very good.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    I enjoyed it far more than the first half of the season, but that's mostly for 2 reasons. The first half was a lot of setup, and the Animation Quality was a lot worse in the first half. The pacing seems much improved and I liked the way the story developed. Adam and Teela seem to share top billing with Teela having a bit more focus, but surprisingly Adam taking the leadership role in a surprising way.

As far as Skeletor, I liked what they did with him in that he was the only character that refused to change and grow, and because of that was left behind by the story. Skeletor thought small, and so ended up being replaced First by EvilLynn and Second by
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hordak

Conversely, I enjoyed it a fair bit less than the first half because it felt rushed and messy and it didn't really feel like it followed on from what the first half was setting up.

Spoiler
    Show
    The first half largely showed Teela finding her own path, but the second pushes her into a different one which doesn't build on any of the lessons of self belief she had absorbed from the first. She becomes the new sorceress because it's genetic I guess?

Evil-Lyn turns into a boring nihilist villain, in a scene where her thought process is inaccessible to the viewer no less. Witnessing all of creation and saying "there is no grand cosmic purpose therefore I will blow everything up" is not an interesting villain motivation. It's a second rate JRPG villain motivation.

It's not consistent whether there are any consequences to explore when setting aside established rules of the setting. Adam calls down the power without the sword and there are consequences, but the sorceress can leave the castle now and there aren't. Do it one way or another and explore the outcomes!
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2021-12-19 at 07:41 AM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

It's not consistent whether there are any consequences to explore when setting aside established rules of the setting. Adam calls down the power without the sword and there are consequences, but the sorceress can leave the castle now and there aren't. Do it one way or another and explore the outcomes!
    Spoiler
    Show
    The difference is that Teela becomes the Sorceress, and throught the whole show just about everyone does all they can to tell us how great and special Teela is, to the point that she basically can do no wrong. The king, Duncan, Adam, everyone.

Though I guess Evil-lyn also faces no real consequences of her actions, so I guess consequences are for men? Maybe that is the idea they had?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    Show

Thing is, the show doesn't seem to know what the situation is supposed to be.

Spoiler
    Show
    We can hear several times it is the Sorceress who gives the Champion their Power. Yet Evil-Lyn needs to trick Skeletor into powering down and steal the Sword from him in order to transform. And Adam can both transform without the Sword and transform with it fighting the evil Sorceress. I'm sure Lyn was happy to lend him the Power both times. And even though she stays powered up, she doesn't seem to be able to do anything about any other having the Power... So the Sorceress gives the Power, but not really?
    Last edited by Divayth Fyr; 2021-12-19 at 04:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickford View Post
    I don't understand your point. Why does it matter what I said?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

What I really don't get

Spoiler
    Show
    When everybody was trying to convince Lynn to ursup Skeletor there was much talk about how she is the sorceres now and thus the one who actually controlls the flow of the power to the champion. How it's hers to grant or withhold.

Yet she couldn't do squat about the champion's access to the power.

She could not just take it from Skeletor, as had been implied in the previous conversations, but hat to trick him into letting it go of his own volition. And then she had to quickly grab the sword to call it down for herself. No trace of being in controll of the flow in any shape.

Adam was more in controll of the flow of the power, sword or not, than Lynn was as the sorcerers