New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Giantslayer: Battle of Bloodmarch Hill [IC]

Turning back to the boy Aasgar asks, "Can you find your way out and get back to the town and report this to the militia?"
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2022-03-28 at 10:52 AM.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

2. - Top - End - #392
    Colossus in the Playground

He shakes his head in mortal fear and dread.
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.
    bcool999: 03-07 JUN 2024.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar sighs... "Well, we haven't been here long, but I suppose we could take you back and then return to resume our search. Everyone agree?"

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

4. - Top - End - #394

Cici says, "I know Othdan ... in passing ... and where he lives. His mother is a client of mine. I will leave and take him home to his family safely."
    04MAY2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Mythic Realms (2013, Bruck, Buhlman, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar nods. "We'll give you some time to go before we move on. Try to hurry back."
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2022-03-30 at 10:48 PM.

6. - Top - End - #396

"Umm, it's freezing," laughs Cici, "and you just have that set of stairs that I know of. I'm not coming back. It's going to take awhile to drop Othdan off, and then I'm going home for the day. I'll meet you in the morning at Ramblehouse tomorrow."
    Show

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar shrugs and says, "Okay. See you tomorrow. The rest of you, let's move on and investigate the stairs."

8. - Top - End - #398

Cici and Othdan head back the way you came while the rest of the party heads to the stairs to the south and begin to ascend.

Surprise Round ...

S20:
    As Aasgar gets to the top of the stairs, an R.O.U.S. is there to nip at him, but the dwarven armor holds fast.

Begin Round One ...

R1T22:
    Abenor hears the sounds of battle, but delays because of his position.

R1T20: The R.O.U.S. bites again, its position on the stairs helping it to secure a hit on Aasgar's hairy chin, but not really hurting him at all.

R1T18: Imrijka delays...

R1T11: Aasgar, your greataxe is in hand. What do you do?
    Show

9. - Top - End - #399
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar reasons that sometimes, the simplest way is the best. Grabbing his axe with both hands and swinging it up over his head, he brings it down on the creature right in front of him.

Spoiler: Technical Information
    Show

Attack with Overhand Chop and Risky Strike.

Attack: (1d20+10)[14]

Damage: (1d12+21)[23]

10. - Top - End - #400

R1T11: Aasgar reasons that sometimes, the simplest way is the best. Grabbing his axe with both hands and swinging it up over his head, he brings it down on the creature right in front of him, bifurcating it from head to tail along its back. He gains strike of the infinite protector.

R1T11.5: Abenor moves up the stairs and past his friend, and into the space of the dead rat while in reaching stance. He unsheathes his blade and strikes both of the other rats down.

Combat Ends...

Two iron doors connect this small stone extension to the Plague House’s main building. A large steel lockbox sits in front of a steep stone staircase that winds down into darkness.

What do you do?
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-04-01 at 02:12 PM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #401
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar crosses to examine the lockbox... Which seems a fairly obvious trap, but...

12. - Top - End - #402

He doesn't sense any trap. It seems like it's been here for many years.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #403
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Probably empty, but he will carefully open it.

14. - Top - End - #404

It does not open.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Well, that probably explains why it's still here... Anyone have any ideas about how to open this?" Aasgar asks looking around.

16. - Top - End - #406

Abenor shakes his head. "If we were thieves, I'd say use your axe. But this was a lockbox for a holy faith, so I'm not keen on saying, 'Well, they're gone; we're here; time to get rich."
    Show

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Right as usual. We're not here to desecrate anything. Let's move on." and he rises to examine the doors. If they seem okay, he will open them and head through.

18. - Top - End - #408

Aasgar opens the door and steps back into the plague ward from before. With that, he knows that the other door leads to the ruined chapel. When he thinks about it, there's really only one place yet to search ... on the north side of the building there was a set of stairs heading upwards.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar glances at the others before heading towards the north side stairs.

20. - Top - End - #410

The stairs lead up to a loft. Most of this wooden loft is still standing—this is the only remnant of the building’s destroyed second floor. The roofless chamber is completely exposed to the elements and filled with soot-covered debris, fire-damaged furnishings, and charred wooden beams. A large, soot-covered brass statue of a goddess with a longsword in one hand and a kite shield in the other stands precariously on the northern edge of the platform above a rickety flight of stairs.

A careful search of this upper area reveals nothing else of interest.

As of now, it seems that you have ... to the best of your knowledge .... seen or been through the whole of the Plague House.

What now?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #411
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Well, that seems to have covered the building. I do feel as though we've missed something... But for now, why don't we head back to town and rest up before we decide what to do next?" offers Aasgar to the group. If everyone is in agreement, he'll turn and head back for town.

22. - Top - End - #412

Back at the Ramblehouse .... now what?
    Show

23. - Top - End - #413
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Depending on the time of day it is when we get back, Aasgar will either look for Cici or bunk down for the night if it's late.

24. - Top - End - #414

It's late in the afternoon, and the party had a full day all things considered checking various places out. Cici is there waiting, having just returned from dropping Othdan off herself.

Kurst gets to the Ramblehouse shortly after the PCs, having been told of their arrival. He asks the PCs to join him at the Flame of the Fallen (area I) for Rodrik's funeral just before sunset (so, not long at all from now). He can't stay to talk right now, merely asking them to come (not even waiting for a reply).

What do you do?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #415
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar will return to his room and clean up as best he can for the evening ceremony. Dine and then when everyone else is ready, head over to the Flame of the Fallen.

26. - Top - End - #416

Exclamation Re: Giantslayer: Battle of Bloodmarch Hill [IC]

Aasgar can get a hunk of bread or fruit, but the meal isn't served yet, so he'll have to get dinner later, but he has something to tide him over. Abenor just smiles as Aasgar grumbles over not being able to get a decent meal when he wants one, and they and Imrijka head outside and follow the cloud in the blustery weather to the Flame of the Fallen.

In addition to Kurst and his father Jagrin, Brinya and Omast are present, as well as Katrezra. High Priestess Tyari Varvatos officiates the ceremony. After consecrating the Flame of the Fallen with sacred herbs, Tyari performs a traditional requenching of the deceased’s hopeknife, which Cici (who is also there but separate from you right now) has handed to Brinya. Tyari performs the ritual using the deceased hero’s true blade, and Brinya publicly thanks Cici, who in turns thanks Aasgar Axewielder, Abenor Quentrias, and Imrijka for helping her recover it from the Plague House. Heating the hopeknife in the alchemically infused flames causes the blade to turn pure black.

The elegist (one who sings a song of lamentation at a funeral) is a truly curious creature, not at all like the humans you see. The most jarring thing about him is that he is a halfling. I mean, you've seen several halflings in Truna (Cham Larringfass is one), but the voice that comes out of his mouth isn't a higher pitch like you'd expect, but deep and rumbling. Most of the halflings you've seen have been - if not merchants or proprieters (again, like Cham), they are folks who seem to take care of their otherwise rustic clothing. This halfling, however, has threadbare clothes - a stovepipe hat in poor condition, moth-eaten coat, old spats partially covering his hairy feet. Still, beyond that curiosity, there is nothing more to note from him.
    Spoiler: Singing Style
    Show
    So, do you remember the beginning of the movie The Right Stuff, the civilian that looked like an undertaker that was an older man, who would inform the wives when their husbands died and who sang at the funerals with that awful, warbling bass? That is what I think of with this guy, but squashed down into a halfling's body instead.
    After the ritual is over, Tyari hands the dagger to Rodrik’s grieving fiancee, Brinya.

After the funeral, Cici catches up with the party and then guides them to Kurst (who is with his elder father Jagrin) and she provides a full accounting of their investigation, with Aasgar and others adding information as necessary where their expertise may be, as appropriate.

The elder Jagrath releases a long breath, saying “At least we know Rodrik didn’t disgrace himself with an unnecessary suicide.”

The mystery of Plague House was not entirely solved. It seems that whomever had abducted the curious Othdan and was using the Plague House is now in the wind, and they are likely to have been responsible for Rodrik's death and the hiring of the assassins that attacked the PCs, but nothing is known for sure now. By this point, Kurst has come to terms with his brother’s death, and he takes the news with surprising resolve. The Graths are worried, naturally, that these were spies for orc troublemakers - as there often are - that might have designs on Trunau. If that is the case, as long as the attack won’t take place until the spies signal for it, Kurst reasons, and as long as the militia keeps guards stationed at the beacons and around the city walls, Trunau has little to fear. Even if the murderers/assassins/saboteurs signal the attack from outside the town’s walls without being detected, the militia should have time to sound the alarm and close the gates. So if that is what this was about, and with the meddling by the PCs, that should be stymied pretty handily.

For now, it seems that the orc threat is not immediate, and Kurst wishes to spend the rest of the day honoring his fallen brother’s life. Of course, events are in place to make sure that this will not occur, for as the sun sinks below the horizon, the peaceful evening is shattered by the brazen calls of signal horns. Shouts and screams from the town’s lower quarter join the clamor, followed by a crash as an airborne boulder smashes into one of the guard towers.

Trunau is under attack!

When the raid begins, the solemn atmosphere at the Flame of the Fallen transforms into a chaotic race to prepare Trunau for attack and protect its citizens. Patrol Captain Jagrin Grath and Omast Frum immediately rally the nearby guards and take command of the town militia to repel the invaders. Those residents capable of fighting stop what they are doing and head to the walls, while the town leaders hurry noncombatant townsfolk into the Longhouse for safety.

The Battle of Bloodmarch Hill has begun!

Kurst Grath immediately looks to the PCs. Their success in investigating Rodrik’s death has made them de facto members of Trunau’s militia, and Kurst asks them for their help in defending the town.

Aasgar, do you accept? or, do you leave Trunau to burn because you didn't get a good dinner?
    Show

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar draws his axe with a grim smile. Turning to look at the others he says, "I know we have worked together only a short time but, I feel in that time we have done well and compliment each other's skills." To Imrijka and Cici he asks, "I would be honored to have you join Abenor and me in the defense of the town."

28. - Top - End - #418

tongue Re: Giantslayer: Battle of Bloodmarch Hill [IC]

Cici has a funny face at that, but Imrijka picks up on it and says what she doesn't as she turns to Kurst. "We would happily assist you in the defense of your town."

Kurst doesn't seem to catch the momentary discomfort so he gets right to business. Kurst’s instructions are simple. First, the PCs must light the beacons at three key locations around town: the Commons beacon (area J), the inner gates beacon (area K), and the Hopespring beacon (area M). The Flame of the Fallen (area I) is already lit from Rodrik’s funeral, but if the Trunauans are to have a chance in this fight in the dark, the other beacons must be lit as well.

The PCs’ secondary objective is to secure as many areas as possible as they make their way to the beacons. While slaying orcs is helpful, it’s even more important for the PCs to rescue townsfolk from danger. For now, Kurst tells the PCs to direct anyone they find in Trunau’s upper quarter to head to the Longhouse (area C) to take refuge or rally with the other defenders.

So, owing to the fact that there most certainly is a factor of time involved, do you split up to go get the beacons lit, or do you huddle together with 30 years of traumatized RPG experience to "never split the party" even if the GM in question gives you no leniency on the clock for going in a linear fashion?

And in so doing, what do you suggest?
    Show

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by lostsole31 View Post
    Cici has a funny face at that, but Imrijka picks up on it and says what she doesn't as she turns to Kurst. "We would happily assist you in the defense of your town."
    "What?!? I just... It's not my... I meant join... Hmph..."

Aasgar shakes his head and continues... "Okay, I suggest that Abenor and I head straight for the Inner Gate and you two handle the Commons and then we can meet up at the Hopespring. Whoever gets there first, lights the beacon. Sound like a plan?"

30. - Top - End - #420

"Actually," drawls Abenor, and then looks to the ladies, "please don't take this as condescending we-strong-men-you-weak-women ... but I am pretty sure that Aasgar and I are both the best warriors, and both of you have magical gifts. Aasgar, I say we split. You go to the Inner Gate, and we'll go to the Commons, with the loser to the Hopespring buying drinks for the team that lights the Hopespring beacon."
    Show