New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: Giantslayer: Battle of Bloodmarch Hill [IC]

Nothing springs to mind. So no.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Fireday, 26 Calistril 4715 AR
    (Somal: First Quarter-Moon; 18/10 F; Winds E 10 mph; Dry. Wind Chill: 13/ 5 F.)

It is absolutely freezing the next morning, but you Cham Larringfass had gone around last night to make sure all residents knew as much.

Aasgar and Abenor, who not long ago realized it is best to have a roommate, hydrate to deal with the sweat lost from a cold night under many blankets, and get right to morning routine.

During Aasgar's meditations, and likely spurred by his feeling the bite of cold, he follows the line of intuition to the power of the four seasons, and a sash forms around his waist, perfectly woven to show those very four seasons, and the transitions between each. Given his desire to not feel the bite of this last month of winter, Aasgar's focus is on cold - or more properly - the absence of heat, or the drawing heat away to leave behind what is commonly referred to as "cold." That said, he has the intuition to realize that he could at a moment's notice shift the focus of the sash to protect him from different types of seasonal energies.

Now protected from the cold, he is undoubtedly curious, meditating on the nature of whatever this sash may be. In doing so, small spectacles of bronzed and crystalline akasha form. He is soon able to detect magical emanations. The only downside is that he has no training in understanding how to read what he sees, but it still might be useful since Abenor has no "elven magic" of any kind, just elven martial arts.
    Spoiler: Unlocked
    Show
    Today, Aasgar unlocked Sash of Four Seasons and the Eyeglasses of Magic Sight.

Aasgar would need to learn Knowledge (arcana) to be able to even begin to make heads or tails of the magical emanations he might see. These spectacles just help him to binarily detect magic yes/no.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-11-20 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Fixed the Day
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    ClasyCrow: On hiatus through 11MAY2024.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

After morning ablations, Aasgar will go down for breakfast and see what might be seen, inviting Abenor to come along of course.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

4. - Top - End - #34

Abenor looks at the sash and spectacles. "When did you get those?"

Aasgar and Abenor otherwise cheerily go downstairs...

... where they find many of Trunau’s residents in a state of dismay. A large crowd has gathered outside the Ramblehouse, and the news spreads quickly: Patrol Captain Rodrik Grath has been found dead! The inn’s owner, Cham Larringfass, discovered Rodrik’s body in his room, his wrists fatally lacerated and his bloody hopeknife in his limp hand. The town militia arrived soon after and roped off the entire building to investigate the scene, but all signs point to a suicide, a fact that saddens many of the town’s citizens.

Kurst approaches the PCs. The extent of his social anxiety are now clear without the aegis of his older brother. He looks to Aasgar, though a little taken aback by the dwarf now wearing spectacles. “I’m sure you’ve heard by now that my brother, Rodrik—you met him last night—was found dead this morning, and I’ve had my hands full since. Right now, the official cause of death is suicide, but I just can’t believe that. Something else has to be going on. Unfortunately, Rodrik was the best investigator in Trunau; if he were on the case, solving the mystery of his death wouldn’t take long, but with just me left, we might never know what really happened.” Kurst sighs heavily.

“I simply can’t handle the investigation and tend to my family duties at the same time. I may be a patrol captain, but right now, I feel my responsibilities as a brother outweigh my other duties. Still, I can’t just let this lie. I’m afraid I’ve exhausted all my other options—the members of Trunau’s militia are competent defenders during siege times, but they’re not sleuths by any means. I need your help. Will you investigate my brother’s death?”
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2021-12-27 at 07:57 PM.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar looks at Abenor and says, "It's just something I'm trying...

Then upon meeting up with Krusty he says, "Please accept my deepest condolences. I would be hono... Proud to try to help. Do you mind if my friend here is also involved? He would be an invaluable resource."

6. - Top - End - #36

Kurst looks at you oddly, and awkwardly says, "I had hoped ... half-expected ... I mean ... I sought you both out for help?"

Abenor asks him, "Shouldn't your father - the patrol leader - or the militia take charge of the investigation? I understand having outside consultants, but doesn't it undermine confidence in the militia that outsiders like us are actually in charge?"

Kurst answers, “Unsurprisingly, my father isn’t doing too well right at the moment, and I don’t think he’ll be willing to spare any officers from the outskirts of town. Even if he was, our militia is trained to fight orcs, not investigate mysterious deaths—especially one that’s officially a suicide. And my father has forbidden me from talking with ‘that half-orc temptress’ who he thinks seduced Rodrik. I need you.”
    Show

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar looks at Abenor and then back at Kursk. It's understandable... I'm sure he's upset as well. We'll gladly look into it. May I ask, do you suspect anyone, or know of any that would have wished your brother harm?"

8. - Top - End - #38

Kurst looks taken aback, but then collects himself and answers, “Not that I can think of, but you might ask around town. My brother touched many lives in Trunau, so I wouldn’t discount anyone as a possible lead. Anything out of the ordinary could be a potential clue.”
    Show

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar nods his head in understanding… “As you said, anyone could be a possible lead. So, please understand I mean no disrespect by asking… I’m merely trying to act quickly to eliminate as many people from that list as possible but, could you tell us where you were last night?“

10. - Top - End - #40

Kurst thinks about that for a second, "I stay with our father. Rodrick wanted some distance from him. I know of three leads that might help?" he says questioningly with raised shoulders and hands and a confused look. "The crime scene at the Ramblehouse, where they can also question the inn’s proprietor, Cham Larringfass; Brinya Kelver, a half-orc weaver whom I recently learned had been conducting a clandestine love affair with Rodrik for some time; and Omast Frum, a patrol sergeant in the militia, long-time friend of the Graths and one of Rodrik’s frequent patrol partners. Perhaps these people might be able to shed some light on the events leading up to Rodrik’s death? Maybe?"

"Why do you think Rodrik's death wasn't a suicide?" asks a half-orc female listening in.

Kurst turns his head to look at the half-orc, and the woman she stands next to. “I know my brother, and I know he wouldn’t kill himself. By his own account, he was in love with Brinya and was planning to marry her, even if our father disapproved. There’s something fishy about all of this, and I won’t dishonor Rodrik’s memory by accepting his ‘suicide’ without ruling out that something else happened.”

There are two extra people talking, or at listening intently to the conversation now in addition to Abenor and Aasgar .... and they are both of the ladies that were on your losing winning team of tug-of-war yesterday at Ruby's Hopeknife festival.

There's an awkwardness. The woman nod to you and Abenor, and then look expectantly at Kurst, who seems to not know what they are hinting at, though it seems they are hinting at something.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-03-04 at 07:36 AM.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar turns to the women and says, ”Ummmm. Aasgar Axewielder and Abenor Quentrias at your service. And you are?”

12. - Top - End - #42

"Imrijka, Inquisitor of Pharasma," says the female half-orc. "While I am used to looking into matters of faith or investigating threats to the church, that - and my love for Alison Kindler ghost-detective novels - have given me some skill as an actual investigator."

Imrijka speaks with a medium-strength Ustalav-Varisian dialect, placing her background in that country of gothic horrors. She isn't necessarily tall for a half-orc female (5'7"), but is no less sturdily built. Though wearing a high-quality chain shirt for protection, she wears the normal red, wide-brimmed hat and red stole and vestments of a Pharasmin inquisitor. Though inquisitors of most faiths tend to work on missions in low-key garb, most Pharasmin inquisitors - especially those from Ustalav, where they have had a long history of fighting undead - is meant to engender trust among the citizenry and let them know that they are here for the folks' anti-undead needs. She is armed with - at the least - a masterwork composite longbow, handaxe, and short sword, and carries her full pack of gear, making her seem like she should be stressing under the weight, and yet she seems nonplussed by it.

Though not speaking sonorously or anything of the like, she seems to be at least moderately capable of expressing herself urbanely with others, a refreshing change from most half-orcs Aasgar as met.

"You can call me Cici," Imrijka's friend says.

Cici is a simple girl in her early 20s with a coloring that is often desired - red hair, green eyes, and pale skin - but possesses otherwise unremarkable features. She was heavier when she was younger, and teased for that, so while not particularly vain she does like to wear makeup in town as a form of "armor" for herself. Though she is obviously of Kellid blood, enough Taldan exists within her with forehead, cheekbones, and jawline to give away mixed ethnicity. She is of slightly shorter height and has some curve to her still, but nothing particularly voluptuous. Still, she possesses a vibrancy of youth that is attractive to some, which is offset by her extreme shyness.

While many Kellids do have blue tattoos they wear for inscrutable reasons, her facial tattoos are particular striking, as they seem to be a thick, dark line of blue going from the inner corner of her eye and tracing in a straight line down the side of each nose, and finally to each corner of her mouth. She also possesses a series of horizontal, circular tattoos at he neck and upper chest. She startles you when she looks at you with two heads from under her cloak, until you some type of animal is perched on her shoulder. A sturdy leather lead hangs down and disappears into her decolletage. She has a short blade at her side, and doesn't appear to wear any armor.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Well met... You participated in the ceremony yesterday, I recall. Well, your skills in observation and perception are definitely top-notch as you picked up that Kurst has asked us to investigate the strange and untimely death of his brother. May I ask your whereabouts last night?" Aasgar asks while giving a glance to Abenor.

14. - Top - End - #44

Imrijka is taken aback before looking down at Aasgar. "You may ask," she says in a steely voice while staring at Aasgar.

Aasgar, do you give her a stare back?
    Show

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar will not back down, however, he will diplomatically remain stern and focused while replying, "I mean no disrespect, but surely as Inquisitor and fan of detective writings, you know it's best to eliminate all the possibilities as quickly as possible. So, if you would answer, we can move directly on to the more likely suspects."
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2022-01-01 at 06:33 AM.

16. - Top - End - #46

To her credit, she does well ... but not well enough and her gaze relents first. Of course, she is a poor loser as she snarls, "No, you silly pebble-kisser. That's the opposite of what you do. You run down your leads first, and when that doesn't work you widen your circle. What? Are you going to walk up and down the street and canvass everyone in Trunau just to 'eliminate all the possibilities?'"

While that drama is going on, Cici asks Kurst, "Can we examine the body?"

He answers her, though eyeing the situation between the dwarf and the half-orc nervously, “If you think it will help. We’re keeping it in the Sanctuary until the funeral.”
    Show

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar chuckles... "Fine. I see we have differing methods. But that's fine, we can cover twice as much ground that way... That is if you want to help..."

18. - Top - End - #48

Abenor looks at the place you just came out of, and then at Kurst. "We are guests here, but we don't know the ins-and-outs. What can you tell us about he Ramblehouse and Cham Larringfass that might be helpful?"

“The Ramblehouse is the only inn in town," replies Kurst, "and a boardinghouse as well. I’ve already searched Rodrik’s room, but perhaps you can find something I overlooked. Cham discovered Rodrik’s body this morning. She’s originally from Molthune, I think, but she’s lived in Trunau since before I was born. She shows some favoritism to small folk like herself, but she’s a nice enough sort.”
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar nods to Imrijka and turns, leaving her to consider his offer, and focuses back on the other conversation.

20. - Top - End - #50

Kurst says, "I had already contacted them first to investigate. You and Abenor were second because you were here at the Ramblehouse."

Imrijka gets a weird, toothy grin. "In that case, you may join me and my investigation."

Aasgar, do you have any questions?
    Show

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar face goes a bit red in anger… ”You could have led with that… but fine… let’s just get on with it.”

22. - Top - End - #52

Imrijka gives a follow-up question. "What can you tell us about Brinya Kelver?"

Kurst answers, “She and Rodrik were engaged to be married, but only a few people, myself included, knew about their relationship. Brinya’s a half-orc, like yourself. Her heritage doesn’t matter to me, but it does to my father, which is why Rodrik kept it secret. That’s why Rodrik was staying at the Ramblehouse. My father somehow found about the two of them, and he and Rodrik had a falling out over it. Since my father has forbidden me to visit her, could you check up on her and make sure she’s okay? You can also ask her whether anything seemed strange about Rodrik the last couple of nights.”
    Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Turning back to Imrijka, Aasgar says "Might I suggest that you let Abenor and I handle the innkeep and you speak to Brinya? You share a connection that we do not that might make it easier for you to talk to her and I may be able to connect with with the innkeeper, being a "small folk" of sorts."
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2022-01-04 at 01:29 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54

"Uh, counter-offer," offers Abenor. "I know a little bit about forbidden love, and one of the things I never got to discuss with Rodrik was his work The Other Side of Contempt, which is a work which I've read and resonated with me. She might respond to me - an elf, but an outsider among elves and humans both - and knowing her beloved's work might also connect with her. That will give Imrijka and I a chance to know each other ... and Cici and Aasgar a chance to know each other ... and maybe when we meet again, we won't be so cliquish?"
    Show

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar looks at Cici... And back at Abenor...

"Ermm... I suppose. Okay. Let's do it that way then."

He turns back to Cici, "Does that work for you?"

26. - Top - End - #56

Cici shrugs, "Sure."

Before Imrijka and Abenor walk away, Abenor turns around and says, "Kurst, you mentioned 'Omast Frum.' What can you tell us about them?"

Kurst points and nods emphatically with an "Oh, yeah, I did" sort of gesture. “Omast is a long-time friend of my family, and he’s always been like an uncle to Rodrik and me. He has a long history in Trunau, and most people think of him fondly as a local eccentric and a well-meaning lush. As a patrol sergeant, he accompanied Rodrik on many patrols. Maybe the two of them discovered something on one of those patrols.”

Imrijka follows that up. "Any other possible suspects?"

“Not that I can think of, but you might ask around town. My brother touched many lives in Trunau, so I wouldn’t discount anyone as a possible lead. Anything out of the ordinary could be a potential clue.”

And with that, Abenor and Imrijka move off.

Cici is lost in thought, and absent-mindedly asks, "Are there any other clues?"

Kurst nods sullenly. “The only thing I have is Rodrik’s hopeknife, which he supposedly used to kill himself. I’ll need it back for his funeral, but if you think it might help, you can have it until then.”

"How can we get in touch with you?" asks Cici.

“Ask for me at the Longhouse," answers Kurst, handing the hopeknife to Cici. "I need to plan Rodrik’s funeral and manage his affairs, but if I’m not there, leave word and I’ll get in contact with you as soon as possible.”

Kurst heads off.

"So, shall we talk to Cham?" asks Cici, and the two of you walk inside, and it doesn't take long at all to find the Ramblehouse's proprieter, Cham Larringfass.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

On the stroll over, Aasgar will attempt to get the young woman to open up a bit more about herself.

"So what brings you two here? If I may ask?"

28. - Top - End - #58

"The womb that bore me here," says Cici, pulling up on the chain around her neck to show you her hopeknife, identifying her as a Trunau native.

The little creature jealously in Cici's hood tugs on the chain to hide the knife from Aasgar's eyes.

And now you're in front of Cham.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-01-06 at 01:30 AM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar will approach the innkeeper and ask, ”Excuse me, Miss Larringfass? Aasgar Axewielder. Do you have a few minutes spare that we could speak? I’ve been asked to look into the unfortunate circumstances of last night and was hoping I could start by getting the facts straight away. “

30. - Top - End - #60

"I'm sorry, sir," says Cham. "I don't remember anything out of the ordinary about last night."
    Show