New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Giantslayer: Battle of Bloodmarch Hill [IC]

Tyari shakes her head. "No, sorry."
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 17APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Well, I guess we should try to find this... Brantos... Maybe he can tell us something. I also think we should look at Katreza's room." Aasgar suggests, looking around the area a bit.
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2022-02-02 at 07:27 AM.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

3. - Top - End - #93

She opens the door, motioning to an acolyte. "Please show our guests to Brantos Calderon."

She then turns to Aasgar and adds, "And no, you will not be searching any rooms." She turns to the acolyte as if to make sure the acolyte understands that as holy writ, and then says, "Good day, everyone," before leaving to whatever temple business she has.

"This way, please," says the young man, who will take you to Brantos' cell. The acolyte knocks on the door to the cell. After a minute or two, for which the acolyte is patient, though a minute or two might throw the rest of you off, a strapping man opens his cell door. The acolyte speaks up, "Priestess Tyari asked that I show these folk to you, but they are not to search any cells."

And with that, the acolyte is gone, leaving the group and Brantos.

"How may I be of service?" he asks.
    11APR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: Demons Revisited (2013, Jacobs).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #94
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Greetings Brantos. Our apologies for disturbing you today but we were hoping you could help us. We have been asked to look into the unfortunate events surrounding Rodrick Grath. We understand you were in contact with him often? Could you say when was the last time you saw him?" Aasgar asks with a gentle smile.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

5. - Top - End - #95

Brantos looks down at Aasgar curiously. "Yesterday, at Ruby's festival, of course!"

Cici pipes up, "More generally, what was your relationship with Rodrik?"

Brantos mentions that he had some dealings with Rodrik Grath, but he can’t provide the PCs with any useful information about Rodrik beyond an impression that the patrol captain was investigating something. Brantos has no idea what the focus of Rodrik’s investigation might have been, but he seemed to enjoy his work. When asked by Abenor, he knows nothing about any journal that Rodrik may have kept.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar nods and says, "Did he ever mention the name Melira?"

7. - Top - End - #97

He shakes his head. "Can't say as I've ever even heard the name."
    Show

8. - Top - End - #98
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Can you tell us anything about Katreza? The High Priestess said Rodrik had been meeting with him of late?" asks Aasgar.

9. - Top - End - #99

"Of course," he readily agrees. "I've dealt a lot with Katreza, since I was largely responsible for taking care of the half-orc invalid when the chapel's acolytes were occupied elsewhere. I know his past was painful, and that while the half-orc has no love for his full-blooded kin, the seer is a benevolent man who has a soft spot for fellow half-orcs."

Here he gives a deferential nod to Imrijka, who returns the nod.

"Katreza has proven himself a loyal defender of Trunau on multiple occasions and has many friends in town. He vanished just recently, I am told, as I have not cared for him the past few days, but I have no idea where the seer has vanished to."

"I'm told Rodrik's body is here," says Abenor. "May we examine it?"

"I can't imagine why not," says Brantos.

He takes you to the Sanctuary's basement where his body is being stored until the funeral. Rodrik appears to have died of blood loss after slitting his own wrists.

Cici casts a spell. "There is poison in the body."

She seems to continue to look at him as if under a partial trance. "The poison is oil of taggit. This hints at foul play, though is not decisive evidence, as oil of taggit results only in unconsciousness, not death."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"So it would appear that someone drugged him and then slit his wrists, making it look like a suicide... Not conclusively, I understand. This poison... How would it be administered? This might indicate if he was taken by surprise, or perhaps knew his assailant. If it can be ingested, we might go back and ask if any food was delivered to Rodriks room that night."

11. - Top - End - #101

"Ingested only," answers Cici. "Like most poisons, it isn't absorbed through the skin. It is completely useless injected directly into the bloodstream as it is diluted in the circulatory system before getting to any important organs."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-02-08 at 03:39 PM.
    Show

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"I suggest then that we return to the boarding facility and ask about whether any food was delivered to his room that night and reiterate there were no visitors. If there was no food delivered, we can see where he might have dined last and go there. Cici, is this a fast-acting poison or would it have taken time to work?" asks Aasgar.

"Unless someone has a better suggestion?"

13. - Top - End - #103

"Very fast acting for an ingested poison," Cici informs you. "Its effects can be felt after a minute."

There is no dissent against heading back to the Ramblehouse. Do you take your leave of Brantos?
    Show

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Turning back to Brantos, Aasgar nods to him and says, "Thank you for your help in this matter. Please if you think of anything else that might assist us, let us know."

And he will turn and head outside.

Presuming everyone follows, once they are out, he says, "Let us return to the Ramblehouse and ask after the food."

15. - Top - End - #105

At the Ramblehouse, you ask about the food, and the halfling proprieter says that yesterday was a town celebration and he must have had plenty to eat during Ruby's Hopeknife Festival, because he only wanted a nightcap, which she poured and took up herself. Rodrik received it at the door, thanked her, and that was the last she saw of him.
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar looks at Cici... "Are you able to detect residual poison?"

If yes, then he will ask to see the container from which the drink was poured so Cici can examine it.

If no, he will suggest that they then need to try to create a timeline of Rodriks whereabouts as he traveled through the evening.

17. - Top - End - #107

The proprieter will tell you that the dishes have already been washed.

Cici looks to Aasgar and shakes her head. "No. And why would we do that? Someone would have noticed if he was dragged to his room unconscious. So, it makes sense that he was poisoned in his room, and he fell in this room, and he was murdered in the room. Trying to talk with every Tom, Richard, and Harry in Trunau will just tell you that he was a popular guy that got around. I mean, not like 'got around, got around,' but very social."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Okay! Okay! Jeez... Don't have an attack... I simply forgot you said that the poison would act in less than a minute... What's your suggestion, then?" Aasgar responds.

19. - Top - End - #109

Abenor puts a calming hand on Aasgar's shoulder. "Okay, what do we know? What are our pieces of gold that will give us the treasure that is a solved investigation?"

Cici breathes to calm herself as well (redhead). "Rodrik was likely poisoned unwittingly with something that was in his room that he drank. My guess is someone was actually hiding in the room, but there is no way to verify that, and it actually doesn't help our investigation, only possible post-action. He was poisoned by using a fast-acting ingested toxin that causes unconscious - the oil of taggit. Once unconscious, the assassin had the means to work at their leisure to create a scene by slitting his wrists with a sharp, finesseable blade. A hopeknife was present.

"Somebody checked into the Ramblehouse the night before, but his features are unremembered. Suspicious activity because Cham Larringfass was bribed not to write a name. Other previous half-orc tenants that proprieter found suspicious, likely because of racism, left well before the assassination. Rodrik's room produced a receipt for a new hopeknife from Morninghawk's Fine Steel. Contacted smith's name is Urnsul.

"Found note in secret drawer of room of nameless man. Definitely seems to implicate author as likely assassin. Written for a Melina, but never sent."

"He was in a hurry, or something unexpected happened," offers Imrijka.

"Why do you say that?" asks Abenor.

"Because you are not likely to just leave a love note behind as an accident," she answers. "Also, it is likely for someone distant, because of the effort in the letter, so assume there is no Melina local to Trunau."

She continues, "Brinya definitely sincere in shock and grief. The hopeknife used to kill Rodrik was not his, and was supposed to be Brinya's but Rodrik lost the hopeknife he gave her. That makes sense with that receipt you have. Actual murder hopeknife has no inscription, as was expected with Brinya's own. She mentioned a helpful muse at the Sanctuary, where we all went. It seems that the muse might be Katreza, whose whereabouts are currently unknown, but no sign of foul play in his quarters, as if he expected to leave. Also, Rodrik kept a journal, whereabouts unknown."

Abenor looks to Aasgar. "Okay, let's assume we aren't going to find a Melina. Let's not waste time asking. So, the currently unexplored leads at current is, mainly checking in with Morninghawk's Fine Steel, showing the hopeknife, and talking to .... what was the name on the receipit?"

"Urnsul," offers Cici.

"Honestly, Katreza would be the next to find after that," says Abenor, "but his location is unknown, so the smith seems the best choice."
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-11-20 at 12:34 AM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar breathes out a sigh... "Sorry for overreacting... This is requiring a lot more thinking than I'm used to... I'd rather be hacking at stuff with my axe... Right. To the smith then. Thank you, all." and he turns to head towards the smithy.

21. - Top - End - #111

Only a block or two after the PCs leave the Ramblehouse, there is a chorus of higher-pitched, growling voices. Three smaller wolves with signs of obvious physical distress stand, blocking the street as other people carefully back off and away. They stand and snarl at the PCs in front of them.

Begin Round One ...

R1T22: Cici, who was in the front with Aasgar because she knows where to go, says, "These wolves are young, about as powerful as a companion dog. But they seem to be suffering from disease. Go defensive. Don't let them bite you, if you can. But there's no saving them. They need to be put down."

She casts a spell of magical armor about herself that is only seen as a brief bluish-white shimmer before disappearing. She then steps behind Imrijka and Abenor while taking out a strange blade that Aasgar has never seen before.

R1T21: Too diseased for the normal show of dominance and aggression, one of the wolves in the back just closes into the mass of heroes standing together. Aasgar is completely surprised, but his armor holds firm against the attack of the small wolf.

R1T20: Aasgar, you have no weapons in hand (all stowed, walking carefully and nonthreateningly down a town street). What do you do?
    Show

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar takes on a defensive stance before shouting out instructions of warning to the others.

Spoiler: Technical Information
    Show

SwA: Enter Circular Stance: Cannot be flanked, unless foe level 4+ higher

SwA: Enact Defending the Pride: Grant all allies w/in 60' a +4 morale bonus to AC for 1 rd.

23. - Top - End - #113

R1T20: Aasgar takes on a defensive stance before shouting out instructions of warning to the others. Now that the flow of battle is upon him, Aasgar gets an insight of how to try to read where a wolf reacts to pain to strike a merciful killing blow there.

R1T15-12: The two other wolves close on Aasgar, one of them charging, but his stance and armor keep them at bay.

R1T11: Imrijka steps back and away, taking out her finely crafted composite longbow, and casts a spell upon herself. That done, she looks upon the wolves. "May Pharasma allow me deadly accuracy to end your misery quickly, wolves."

R1T10: Abenor steps into the middle of the street, getting into a lunging stance as he quick draws Ileor in a smooth strike that drops the first wolf (22 on crit) to then continue past to the wolf beyond for 18, dropping that one as well.

End Round One, Begin Round 2 ...

R2T22:
    Cici casts a spell on her hand, electricity arcing all around it. She steps forward over the first fallen wolf and reaches at the last one. Her touch does 21 electricity, dropping the wolf.

Given that these wolves cannot be saved, the party performs CDGs on the wolves.

Combat Ends ...
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Well done all... That was odd... How did they get inside the city? Everyone okay? No bites?" Aasgar asks as he looks around.

"Who will dispose of the carcasses? They should be burned."

25. - Top - End - #115

Imrijka will call for the town militia, and Cici will take samples from each of the wolves while Abenor keeps everyone from getting too close.

The guard will come with some specialists that will wheelbarrow limed corpses away to be burned, and with Cici's offer to the militia, she will promise to send along a report of her findings once she has had a chance to look at the blood.

That done, do you continue to the smith's?
    Show

26. - Top - End - #116
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar watches Cici with interest but steps back when the people with the wheelbarrows arrive. He turns and looks around the village, taking in the sights and sounds. Stretching his shoulders and neck a bit he turns back to the group and watches them all working together as a team. Smiling to himself, he says, "Alright. To the Smiths! Let's get on with this!"

Spoiler: Technical Information
    Show

Didn't want to just post "Go to smiths."

27. - Top - End - #117

Cici fills the group in on some information regarding Clamor.

Clamor is a squat, cramped building in the western corner of lower Trunau. The clang of metal on metal rings out of the building most hours of the day, and the heat from the forge fills the stifling smithy. Sara Morninghawk (female half-orc), the town’s half-orc/ half-Shoanti smith, diligently plies her trade during daylight hours, retiring to her home in the inner quarter to spend the evenings with her wife Agrit Staginsdar.

There are a bunch of smiths working here, and Cici asks to see Sara Morninghawk.

Sara Morninghawk comes out, and introduces herself to the others in the group she does not know (i.e., everyone other than Cici). Cici tells her that the four of you are working to investigate the peculiarities of Rodrik Grath's death. She is handed the receipt that you found in the Ramblehouse.

Looking it over, Sara says, "I keep a detailed registry of customers and their orders. It will be a simple thing to match this receipt with those records."

Sara also confirms, when asked, that Rodrik commissioned a new blade a week ago. She did the preliminary work on the knife, and then handed it off to one of her apprentices, whom she assumed finished the blade.

“I guess it doesn’t matter so much anymore,” she says, “but I wonder where it went—it must be around here somewhere.” After a few minutes searching for the knife, Sara comes up empty-handed. “I’ll bet that clumsy oaf Urnsul put it somewhere before she up and quit the other day; it’s hard to get good help. I’ll let you know if I find the blade.”

Cici asks Aasgar to show her the hopeknife that was found on Rodrik's body.

Sara looks it over and is quite surprised. "This is the knife I was working on for Rodrik, but I have no idea how it came into his possession."
    Show

28. - Top - End - #118
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar nods to her in thanks, taking the blade back when she's done examining it. Turning back to the group he says, "We have an annoyingly large amount of disappearing people as this mystery widens. Could they all have been collaborating?"

Turning back to Ms. Smith, he asks, "How long had Urnsul worked for you and what do you know of her?"

29. - Top - End - #119

Sara explains that Urnsul was a new apprentice she took on several weeks ago, but the woman didn't show up to work today. Urnsul was a recent arrival to Trunau, and Sara took pity on her when the young half-orc explained her tragic story in broken Taldane.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"Thank you for your help. Where was she staying? Anyone else think of anything?" Aasgar asks Sara before turning back to the group.