New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Giantslayer: Battle of Bloodmarch Hill [IC]

"To be fair, it does look nice," says Cici. "It's not really gaudy, kinda simple, and your hair covers most of it."

"Matches your hair," says Imrijka.

The three of you finish your tarring at the Ramblehouse before heading to the Longhouse. There you will find Abenor chatting it up with a lot of the guards, including Omast.

"Morning, friend," Abenor says, nodding with approval at your forehead. "About time you wear something of elven style for a change. I don't know what those glasses yesterday were all about. I didn't think you needed corrective lenses."

Abenor already quelled Omast's self-recrimination, being made aware now that there was nothing he could have done to prevent Rodrik's death.

Omast doesn't have any special insight to share. He doesn't trust the half-orc Katreza, whom he claims Rodrik met with shortly before his death. He had told Abenor to find him and question him at the Sanctuary, but Abenor had let him know that Katreza is no longer there. He also advised talking to Cham Larringfass at the Ramblehouse, when assured the group has done so already as well.

Omast asks to see the hopeknife that was on Rodrik's body. He frowns and mutters, "This blade isn't up to Sara's normal craftsmanship." Of course, he is told that you already did so, and found out that while Sara began the working in making the "blank" the finishing was left to the now-absent half-orc Urnsul.

Omast is impressed with how much the party learned in the first day, and the group is sure to tell the patrol sergeant of the nuances of the case as he is "officially" the one who would/ should have conducted the investigation were it not for grief having him "fall off the wagon." He thanks Abenor profusely for having helped him sober up.

Patrol Sergeant Omast Frum then begins with his own deposition. "I been busy been busy attempting to clean up strange graffiti all over Trunau. This graffiti takes the form of white crosses or swords, and thus far has resisted all efforts to clean or remove it. We currently have these 'White Swords' graffiit marks at Barterstones, The Commons, Hopespring, the Sanctuary, and South Tower. I'd be happy to show you, if you've got time to follow me today."
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Spoiler: Player Status
    Show
    bcool999: On hiatus through 01APR2024.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"I'd like to report our findings to Kurst, however... I feel like this graffiti is somehow related. Let's go along for a look." says Aasgar.
    Can I have a Mountain Dew? Where are the Cheetos?

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

3. - Top - End - #183

So, it is way too frigid for the girls, and neither one of them have cold weather clothing, so they will let the A-Team (Abenor and Aasgar) go off with Omast (who is garbed appropriately) while they stay behind at the Longhouse.

Omast takes you to the following locations...

• Barterstones (area N): A large white sword has been painted on the eastern face of the largest rock in this area, visible above the roofs of the market stalls set up in the stones’ shadow.
    • Commons (area A): Someone has used a broad brush to paint a wide white cross or sword on the stone floor of the Commons amphitheater. There are no other clues to be found here.
    • Hopespring (area O): Even the continual shower of mist from the Hopespring’s waterfall (magically enchanted to not freeze during the winter) doesn’t erase the marker dye forming a white sword on the rock wall behind the town reservoir.
    • Sanctuary (area F): Besides the sizeable white sword representing Iomedae’s own holy sword that juts from the roof of the temple, a thick white cross or sword has been painted on the rock face behind the Sanctuary.
    • South Tower (area E): The large white sword dominating the side of this guard tower is much larger than any of the other graffiti marks in town, and is visible from even beyond Trunau’s walls. It’s a mystery how somebody managed to paint a mark 30' tall and 10' wide on a garrisoned tower.

Abenor surmises that while the white sword could be interpreted as relating to Iomedae, most Iomadaeans would be too respectful of civic structures - especially of their own church building - to vandalize it.

Abenor asks you to help him look at the dye or paint used to make the graffiti. "Even though Cici would have been better here. I am pretty sure that an alchemical marker dye was used for the graffiti. That's why it is resisting attempts to clean it, as dye - not a paint - has bonded with the surfaces to which it has been applied. Pretty fancy stuff for just 'vandals.'"

Even with his cold weather clothing, Omast has taken 10 lethal cold and now has hypothermia/ frostbite/ fatigue. "I-I'm sor-sory," Omast says, his teeth chattering. "I-I d-didn't wan-want t-to s-seem w-w-weak."

"We need to get him back to the Longhouse quickly. It really is cold here. It reminds me of home," says the Ilverani.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-03-02 at 03:56 AM.
    20MAR2024: Completed reading Paizo's Pathfinder Campaign Setting: The Worldwound (2013, Jacobs, Keith, et. al.).
    28JAN2024: Completed reading TPK Games' The Deductionist (2013, Everhart). This source is authorized for playtest.
    Show

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar bundles the man back to the Longhouse as quickly as they can.

"People should not believe everything they read on the internet." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." ~ Gandalf the Grey

5. - Top - End - #185

Abenor has some scrapings that he shows to Cici, who congratulates the elf's eye and keen knowledge for it is alchemical marker dye.

Cici puts her hand on Omrast's head as he is undressed, blanketed, and placed by the fire. Her touch provides him with 9 healing. Omast still is fatigued with a slight bit of hypothermia, but he is otherwise fine and his frostbite is gone.
    Show

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar nods to Cici in thanks. Then asks, "Is there more we can learn from these scrapings? I don't see it worth endangering anyone else's life by going back out today, so anything we can do to be productive from inside would be worthwhile investigating."

7. - Top - End - #187

She shakes her head. "Either it may point to something that we have yet to see, or it is a white herring, but I did see Kurst Grath come in a little while ago."
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar nods his thanks to Cici and looks at Abenor… ”I know it’s not our job but, I feel like we should make the rounds of the town to make sure everyone is okay with this cold snap. Just in case any elders fires have got out, or the like. What do you think? We can report to Rodrik after?”

9. - Top - End - #189

"You are more than welcome, tough guy," says Cici. "It's Calistril in Belkzen. There's always a last gasp from winter to freeze the world. These are my people. They should be fine."

Abenor shrugs. "I come from the land of ice and snow, and I don't know how well humans fare when it isn't common. But if our local guide says folks should be fine, they should be fine. Omast just seemed over-eager to please us, at his own detriment."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

”Ive noticed the folk here are hardy. Boys and girls alike. They deserve a laurel and hearty handshake. Anyway. Let us track down Rodrik and bring him up to date.” Aasgar says.

11. - Top - End - #191

"Up to date on what?" asks a morose voice behind you. "Have you found any evidence that my brother was murdered? that it wasn't suicide?"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar will gesture for Kurst to sit and join them and then he will do his best to recount all that they have found so far, stressing the evidence is mostly circumstantial and asking the others to chime in where he may have left something out or if they have additional thoughts.
    Last edited by BuckGodot; 2022-03-04 at 07:44 AM.

13. - Top - End - #193

A fresh wave of grief washes over Kurst, threatening to carry him away. He collects himself after a minute. "Thank you for this much. I will tell my father what you've uncovered, and he will contact Chief-Defender Halgra.

"Tell me, is there anything else to check, or have all leads become as cold as the weather?"
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar waits patiently for the man to collect himself before responding, "Well, we have yet to speak to your father and then there is the issue of the missing journal and the odd disappearances of many of the half-orc folk with apparent connections to Rodrik." Aasgar looks at the others for confirmation he's covered everything.

15. - Top - End - #195

Kurst looks at Aasgar, "Like I said, I can fill my father in on the details, and there's nothing you mentioned that requires you to question him."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"That's it then. Nothing else. Would you like us to do anything else?"

17. - Top - End - #197

"I guess we wait for providence to give us something, or we accept that we know as much as we're going to know," Kurst says. "Thank you for this much."

Do you say goodbye for the day to him?

What's the plan now?
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"With your permission, I think I'd like to keep looking into it... And if the others wish to join in that would be helpful. Although, it may be a case of waiting for more to develop at the moment." Aasgar asks.

19. - Top - End - #199

Having warmed up and regarbed for the weather, he heads out for his errands.

What now?
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar half raises his hand in a wave as the man leaves... "Okay. Bye?' and kind of trails off...

He then turns back and looks at the others.

"Sooooo.... Anyone have any dice? Deck of cards? Pai Gow tiles? I guess... Cici, I'm guessing the removal of the graffiti would have to be done by sanding off the surface of whatever it was applied to... Is it easy to come by this kind of paint?"

21. - Top - End - #201

"Not really easy to come by, but not impossible," she answers. "It's just that it takes special training to make, meaning an alchemist, or you are likely paying as much as 15 gp just for a single vial. Washing has no effect for the first 72 hours, and alchemical marker dye completely fades after two weeks."
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

"So not something that could be done around here then. I was thinking we could follow that path."

23. - Top - End - #203

The four of you part ways .... Imrijka and Cici are going to go clothes shopping!

You and Abenor head back to the Ramblehouse, and spend the evening relaxing by the common room fire, chatting, and otherwise taking it easy for once.

Without any further plans, you will head to bed soon, unless you have any burning questions for your icy friend.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204

Aasgar, it is nightime in the Ramblehouse and you were sleeping, but you hear something that woke you. It isn't loud at all. When you get to concentrate on it, someone is trying to pick your room's lock.

You look over in the dark of the room, and Abenor's eyes are now open as well.

What do you do? and how loudly do you try to do it?
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar will make eye-contact with Abenor whilst as quietly as possible leaning down the edge of his bed to grab his dagger from the pile of gear on the floor and gesturing for him to hide behind the door.

Spoiler: Techinical Information
    Show

SwA: Activate Diadem of Dazing

Last edited by BuckGodot; 2022-03-06 at 09:21 AM.

26. - Top - End - #206

Aasgar makes eye-contact with Abenor whilst as quietly as possible leaning down the edge of his bed to grab his dagger from the pile of gear on the floor and gesturing for him to hide behind the door.

Abenor, for his part, seems to not really pay attention to Aasgar's desires, but reaches down and grabs his katana Ileor from its scabbard and stands ups carefully next to his bed. Ileor casts a radiant sapphire glow, that is when that Abenor looks to Aasgar and sees what he is doing and nods. He points to himself and behind the door, and looks for some input from Aasgar.

See, sometimes it sucks having darkvision like yourself, when in the dark Abenor completely was unable to have seen that it was originally your suggestion.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-03-06 at 04:50 PM.
    Show

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar rolls his eyes and nods his agreement to Abenor. Then waits for what happens next.

28. - Top - End - #208

Thirty-six seconds (6 rounds) go by as someone fiddles at the lock. There is a pause, and the sound of someone very faintly cursing on the other side.
    Last edited by lostsole31; 2022-03-07 at 01:45 AM.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Aasgar gestures to Abenor to get his attention. Shrugging his shoulders he mimes that Abenor should open the door.

30. - Top - End - #210

Abenor mimics what you're doing, looking at you curiously, and shrugs his shoulders, mouthing, "What?"
    Show