New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Default M&M 3e Dragon themed powers

What are some good dragon themed powers that I can add to an existing character? She's PL10 going to PL13 so 45 points to play with. I was thinking putting a 'lair' together with 5pp to HQ, boosting wealth up to 5 (compound interest baby!) for 1pp, but after that I'm kind of at a loss other than the basics of boosting toughness etc. She's got growth, dragon breath, claw attacks, tail slap, armored scales...the basic 'I'm an actual dragon' package. Any ideas??

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: M&M 3e Dragon themed powers

well you didn't list flight so....

Dragon Wings
    Flight, Wings, 10 points

and basically being a big ol' dragon is enough to be a superhero all by itself- basically your firebreathing lizard superman. the only problem is when you have to get indoors for something, so perhaps design a way for your size to be able to go from human size to dragon size and back again. you don't want your giant form to be permanent if you face any foes smaller than yourself because you don't want innocent casualties or destruction of property you can avoid. so best make sure you can go between human size and dragon size when needed.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

3. - Top - End - #3

PirateCaptain

Sorry. She's got wings too and metamorph for changing into human form. Lemme post her to clear things up.

Dragon Form - 150pp

Abilities
    Strength 9 Stamina 8 Agility 3 Dexterity -3 Fighting 6 Intellect 1 Awareness 2 Presence 2

Skills
    Athletics 1 (+10), Expertise: History 4(+5), Expertise: Magic 4(+5), Insight 3(+5), Intimidate 8(+14), Perception (+8)

Advantages
    All Out Attack, Benefit [Ambidextrous], Benefit [Wealth] 4, Favored Environment [Aerial], Improved Critical [Claw/Claw/Bite] 1, Move By Action, Ritualist, Startle

Defenses
    Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fortitude 10, Toughness 14, Will 10

Powers
    Draconic Physique

Draconic Size: Growth 8 (Permanent, Innate) - 15pp

Draconic Scales: Protection 6 (Impervious 6) - 12pp

Draconic Immunities: Immunity (Aging, Fire Damage) - 6pp

Draconic Senses: Senses 6 (Visual: Extended, Infravision; Olfactory: Accurate, Acute, Tracking) - 6pp

Draconic Tail: Extra Limbs 1 (Tail) - 1pp

Draconic Wings: Flight 6 (Wings) - 6pp
    -AE: Lethal Predator: Speed 3 (Enhanced Advantage 2: Takedown) - 1pp

Polyglot: Comprehend Languages 4 (Understand/Read All; Can't Speak; Limited to Human) - 2pp

Polymorph: Morph 1 (Metamorph) - 6pp

Draconic Weapons

Breath Weapon: Damage 10 (Area: Cone 120'; Unreliable; 1st use/day Reliable) - 20pp
    -AE: Claw/Claw/Bite: Damage 5 (Str Based; Multi-Attack, Penetrating 5, Reach, Variable Descriptor [Pierce/Slash]) - 1pp
    -AE: Tailslap: Damage 1 (Str Based; Area: Cone 15', Linked to Affliction 6 [Resist:Dodge; Recover: Agility/Acrobatics; Condition: Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Prone]) - 1pp

Human Form - 150pp

Abilities
    Strength 4 Stamina 5 Agility 3 Dexterity 3 Fighting 6 Intellect 1 Awareness 2 Presence 4

Skills
    Acrobatics 2(+5), Close Combat [Archaic Weapons] 3(+9), Close Combat [Unarmed] 6(+12), Deception 1(+5), Expertise [History] 1(+5), Expertise [Magic] 1(+5), Insight 3(+5), Intimidate 1(+5), Perception 6(+8), Persuasion 4(+8), Stealth 2(+5)

Advantage
    Accurate Attack, Attractive 2, Benefit [Wealth] 4, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 5, Fast Grab, Improved Defense, Improved Disarm, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip, Instant Up, Move By Action, Ritualist

Defenses
    Dodge 10, Parry 10, Fortitude 10, Toughness 10/5, Will 10

Powers
    Draconic Physique

Draconic Strength: Enhanced Ability 3 (Strength; Limited to Lifting) - 3pp

Draconic Senses: Senses 6 (Visual: Extended, Infravision; Olfactory: Accurate, Acute, Tracking) - 6pp

Draconic Immunities: Immunity (Aging, Fire Damage) - 6pp

Predator: Speed 2 (Enhanced Advantage: Takedown) - 4pp

Polyglot: Comprehend Languages 6 (Understand/Read All, Speak One at a Time; Limited to Human) - 3pp

Polymorph: Morph 1 (Metamorph) - 1pp

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems like you got pretty much all the classical dragon powers already. The only ones I can think of (and none of them are really must-haves for a classic dragon) are regeneration, environmental control (heating up their surroundings might not be an explicit dragon power, but it would make sense, I think) and maybe something about just how terrifying a dragon is (I'm thinking maybe Affliction fear/terror/paralyzed with Area and Innate). And maybe illusion powers too? That feels kinda dragony.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe poisonous fangs/claws/breath or some sort of mental domination (particularly, like hypnotic eyes)? Those are both pretty classic dragon-y things that you don't seem to have touched on. What else... Smelling precious metals and gems? Flapping her wings hard enough to generate gale-force winds and knock people around? Wreathing herself in fire? Empowering mortals who drink a drop of her blood?
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

6. - Top - End - #6

PirateCaptain

I like the idea of the flame body thing (maybe put a few points to increase fire resistance too?) Gale winds would be an alternate effect for the Draconic weapons but what would the fear effect look like power wise? Would you make it an alternate effect like a gaze attack or more the 'frightful presence' of the d&d dragons? Let's see what we've spent so far.
    Benefit (wealth) - 1pp (4 to 5)
    Equipment (HQ) - 5pp (25 points for HQ)
    Dodge - 6pp (6 to 12)
    Parry - 6pp (6 to 12)
    Fortitude - 3pp (10 to 13)
    Will - 3pp (10 to 13)

24 pts spent, leaving 21 to go.

Wind Gust - 1pp (AE: Str Based; Area: Cone 60', Move Object 10, Flaw: Limited Direction [Away]) - Added to Draconic Weapons
    Frightful Presence - 1pp (AE: Affliction 10, Cumulative, Area: Burst 30', Flaw: Sense Dependent [Sight])

Are those looking right? And would the frightful presence be better on its own? Something different perhaps?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Those look about right. Frightful presence could also be a terrifying roar type deal, if you want to rationalize the standard-action-activation bit.

If you want an auto-aura more like what D&D dragons get, maybe... hmm. Affliction 10 (Dazed, Compelled, Controlled; resisted and overcome by Will), limited to making targets flee, Area (Perception--Sight), Triggered 1 (start of combat), for 11pp? A little doofy, because Triggered is always a little doofy, but not too insane. Probably worth adding Selective to keep from hitting your allies, or at least something cheap like "Draconic Claim: Immunity 1 (frightful presence), Affects only Others, Continuous) for 2pp as a cheaper version.

The alternate is probably something more like Affliction X (Dazed, Compelled; resisted and overcome by Will), limited to making targets flee, limited degree, Increased Ranged 2 (perception), Sense-Dependent (sight), Reaction (someone starts their turn within 100ft of you), Cumulative. Which is a painful 4pp/rank, and needs Selective or something like the aforementioned "Draconic Claim" power even more desperately, but is also absurdly brutal.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.

Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

8. - Top - End - #8

PirateCaptain

I love that first one. That leaves 9 points; I saw in the heroes handbook that an 'energy aura' would be about 4pp a rank. It said it was Damage, Reaction, anyone who touches or is touched by me makes a toughness resistance, and is on/off as a free action. Does that sound right or is it one of the weird ones that should have been edited? Or should I just boost some stats and add a 1pp advantage/another AE?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, Reaction Damage works fine for a "hurt anyone who touches me" type power. I don't think I'd bother with more than one rank of Damage-- it's not going to be an effective combat tool without a painfully expensive investment, so it's better not to waste too many points on something that's more a matter of feel and flavor than anything else.
    Hill Giant Games
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #10

PirateCaptain

That's what I was thinking too. Instead I'll pick between stats, skills, and advantages (gotta work on the human form too). Spend 4pp to boost Intellect up 2 (ancient dragon should be smarter than the average bear), then take Fearless and Well Informed. 3pp into skills; 1 in each Experise, and 2 each in Insight and Perception.

Total change log for Dragon form:
    -Benefit (wealth) - 1pp (4 to 5)
    -Equipment (HQ) - 5pp (25 points for HQ)
    -Fearless - 1pp
    -Well Informed - 1pp
    -Dodge - 6pp (6 to 12)
    -Parry - 6pp (6 to 12)
    -Fortitude - 3pp (10 to 13)
    -Will - 3pp (10 to 13)
    -Intellect - 4pp (1 to 3)
    -Skills - 3pp (6 pts; Add 1 to Experise [History], 1 to Experise [Magic], 2 to Insight, 2 to Perception)
    -Wind Gust - 1pp (AE: Str Based; Area: Cone 60', Move Object 10, Flaw: Limited Direction [Away]) - Added to Draconic Weapons
    -Frightful Presence - Affliction 10 (Dazed, Compelled, Controlled; resisted and overcome by Will), limited to making targets flee, Area (Perception--Sight), Triggered 1 (start of combat), for 11pp

As for the human form. Benefit, Equipment, Fearless, Well Informed, Dodge, Parry, Fortitude, Will, Intellect, and the skill points all get boosted as per the dragon form. That's 33pp spent there. What powers would go well with the human form of a dragon? Able to form claws in human form? Flame breath? Something else? Maybe keeping Frightful Presence as a 'supernatural' power that's used in both forms?
    Last edited by Iceheart2112; 2021-12-22 at 03:00 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

I built a full on Ancient Red Dragon that more or less mimicked a D&D dragon, right down to the spell cast, in 2E M&M. It was beast of a creature, pushed nearly 600ish points all told. Only thing I ever built that cost more was the Solar, and that was good solid 1000 point build.

As for advice, boost the relevant defenses and attacks from PL10 to PL13 if that's that increase the game is getting. Then add fun alternate effects. Maybe the fire breath can be used as some kind of drain effect.

12. - Top - End - #12

PirateCaptain

So I've made all the additions to the forms. I've got a question on the HQ features. Do the Computer and Personel features work together? Under the Computer description it goes into getting an AI to run it but would the Personel you get be able to run it as well? Or do I need to put a rank into the construct and build it?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Iceheart2112 View Post
    So I've made all the additions to the forms. I've got a question on the HQ features. Do the Computer and Personel features work together? Under the Computer description it goes into getting an AI to run it but would the Personel you get be able to run it as well? Or do I need to put a rank into the construct and build it?
    Personnel are basically Alfred Pennyworth, or something similar. The Computer is the Batcomputer. So having both the Personnel and the Computer you could have a Robo-Alfred that "lives" in the computer, but can control a series of bodies around the HQ.

14. - Top - End - #14

PirateCaptain

So while I was looking up something to help me get a handle on the Ritualist advantage and I came across people talking about Quickness and its uses towards speeding up the process. It would make sense that an ancient dragon with centuries of experience can put together a ritual quicker than most. So would the Flaw to use for quickness be Limited to One Task because it's only for rituals rather than other mental tasks? And if that's the case that would make it 1pp for 3 ranks of Quickness because of the way fractional point costs work, correct? And this would apply to both the design phase as well as the construction phase or just the design part?

That being said, lots of people mentioned that if I got the time down for rituals to something like 1 second from start to finish it would break things (understandably so). What would a good 'medium' look like to most players/GMs?