New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Best "fixed" 5e Monk

My son is running a monk in our next campaign, and I can't help but frown when I read how terrible it is. 1d4 martial arts damage, but the unarmed fighting style in tasha's makes it a d8 for a fighter. Spend a precious ki point to gain one more attack than normal twf. Spend another precious ki point to do what a Rogue can for free at level 2. I know later on in levels they get some neat things, but a lot of it seems more fluff than substance.

I imagine there is a better balanced homebrew Monk out there, and I'd love to see it if there is so I could present it as a complete package to my DM rather than having to go through the process of pointing out each individual thing I'd like to fix.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Re: Best "fixed" 5e Monk

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewBlade View Post
    My son is running a monk in our next campaign, and I can't help but frown when I read how terrible it is. 1d4 martial arts damage, but the unarmed fighting style in tasha's makes it a d8 for a fighter. Spend a precious ki point to gain one more attack than normal twf. Spend another precious ki point to do what a Rogue can for free at level 2. I know later on in levels they get some neat things, but a lot of it seems more fluff than substance.

I imagine there is a better balanced homebrew Monk out there, and I'd love to see it if there is so I could present it as a complete package to my DM rather than having to go through the process of pointing out each individual thing I'd like to fix.
    I think increasing the Martial Arts die by one (so d6-d12 instead of d4-d10) and making Step of the wind free would be the simplest fix.
    I know it’s not much but I don’t think Monks are as bad as a lot of people say. Not as good as they should be but with this fix they get free mobility options which makes them the skirmisher people say they’re supposed to be. And they can split their ki between Patient Defense, Flurry of Blows, Stunning Strike, and subclass features.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saelethil View Post
    I think increasing the Martial Arts die by one (so d6-d12 instead of d4-d10) and making Step of the wind free would be the simplest fix.
    I know it’s not much but I don’t think Monks are as bad as a lot of people say. Not as good as they should be but with this fix they get free mobility options which makes them the skirmisher people say they’re supposed to be. And they can split their ki between Patient Defense, Flurry of Blows, Stunning Strike, and subclass features.
    What do you think of providing more ki points at lower levels? Or instead of D12 goings 2D6?
    Last edited by AndrewBlade; 2021-12-20 at 07:13 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Saelethil View Post
    I think I agree very strongly with this.

I think the power of the monk fluctuates according to the DM. If you face a lot of spellcasters, monks can be awesome. If you face a lot of homogenious encounters with identical bags of meat to be chewed through then monks suck. Before working out how to buff, work out how much you need to. If there are lots of magic weapons and items then the monk is poor; if there are zero magic weapons then the monk is great.

One monk strength is mobility - if you are facing melee enemies in 15ft by 15ft rooms with no feaures of interest and no great positional advantages, then this awesome power is wasted. If you deal with complex battlefields, cover, hiding enemies and enemies that tactically try and keep themselves out of melee range then all of these great, powerful abilities go to waste.

Boosting martial arts die by one is an excellent start (though beware as a lot of newer monk classes key off the MA die quite hard for other abilities). Monks are already powerhouse damage dealers at lower levels; most characters need to wait till level 4 to pick up a feat for a bonus action attack and monks not only get that early, but can get two attacks. Beware of boosting this too much.

I don't think making step of the wind free is quite right - but one free use per short rest puts it in the place where it can be frequently used but not spammed. It makes the monk feel like a monk doing monk things whilst preserving meaningful choice. Boosting Ki could do the same, but in practice this seems to just end up in more stunning strikes and less of a rich breadth of monk abilities.

Other options are:

d10 hit die (this takes the pain off the monk being MAD just a little. Those few extra HP can go a long way)
    The ritual caster feat (this plays up a monastic, more scholarly monk feel and helps them out of combat)
    The non-stat part of the elven accuracy feat - a nice reward for more tactical play and getting advantage or for using mobility to targe a more vulnerable creature

I wouldn't think of these as needed if the DM uses as many casters as martials as NPCs, as long as magic weapons are in short supply (i.e. if the monks fists counting as magical is not just a ribbon) and as long as the DM has different, differentiated fights in nteresting 3 dimensional environments.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

My experience as a DM is that monks are fine, especially if you're not shorting your party on magic items. The only change I've made for the kensei in our party is allowing him to use his melee weapon with both attacks and still get the +2 AC off of it. He's super mobile, has good defenses (Dex + Wis + bracers of defense and one tome), has decent damage in melee, and is a pretty good archer - even better with Sharpshooter now.
    He's used Stunning Fist exactly once between levels 7 and 17... so he could be even better, but he's totally keeping up with the party.

Monk speed is also ridiculous; he can out sprint most enemies, and uses this to pull off some ridiculous diversionary attacks (I'll attack the village, you guys go ahead, I'll catch up).

At low levels, remember that monks can attack with monk weapons as well as unarmed strike, so it's 1d8 quarterstaff or 1d6 shortsword + 1d4 martial arts damage, at a point where almost no other characters can attack twice.
    Last edited by J-H; 2021-12-20 at 08:00 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Heres my current version. Mostly minor changes but together makes for quite a different experience.

Spoiler: Monk
    Show

Level Prof Features Monk Die Ki
    1 +2 Martial Arts, Unarmored Defense d6 -
    2 +2 Ki, Unarmored Movement d6 2
    3 +2 Monastic Tradition, Deflect Missiles d6 3
    4 [+2 ASI, Slow Fall d6 4
    5 +3 Extra Attack, Stunning Strike d8 5
    6 +3 Monastic Tradition Feature, Purity of Body d8 6
    7 +3 Evasion, Ki-Empowered Strikes d8 7
    8 +3 ASI, Quickened Healing d8 8
    9 +4 Focused Aim, Unarmored Movement Improvement d8 9
    10 +4 ASI, Stillness of Mind d8 10
    11 +4 Monastic Tradition Feature d10 11
    12 +4 ASI d10 12
    13 +5 Tongue of Sun and Moon d10 13
    14 +5 Diamond Soul d10 14
    15 +5 Timeless Body d10 15
    16 +5 ASI d10 16
    17 +6 Monastic Tradition Feature d12 17
    18 +6 Empty Body d12 18
    19 +6 ASI d12 19
    20 +6 Perfect Self d12 20
    Hit Dice: d8
    Armor Proficiencies: None
    Weapon Proficiencies: Simple weapons, shortswords
    Saving Throw proficiencies: Strength, Wisdom
    Skill Proficiencies: Choose two from Acrobatics, Athletics, Lore, Insight, Perception and Stealth
    Other Proficiencies: One instrument or type of artisans tools

Level 1: Martial Arts
    While you aren't wielding a shield you gain the following benefits when using unarmed strikes and monk weapons, which are any weapons that you are proficient in and don't have the heavy or special property.
    - You can use Dexterity instead of Strength for the attack and damage rolls of your unarmed strikes and monk weapons
    - You can roll a d6 in place of the normal damage of your unarmed strike or monk weapon. This die changes as you gain monk levels do d8 at level 5, d10 at level 11 and d12 at level 17
    - You can take a bonus action on each of your turns in combat. This action can be used only to take the Attack (one unarmed strike only), Dash or Disengage action.

Level 2: Ki
    You gain a pool or mystic Ki energy represented by a number of points as shown on the Monk table. You can spend these points to fuel various ki features, three of which you know to start with: Flurry of Blows, Patient Defense, and Step of the Wind.
    When you spend a ki point, it is unavailable until you finish a short or long rest, at the end of which you draw all of your expended ki back into yourself. You must spend at least 30 minutes of the rest meditating to regain your ki points.

Some of your ki features require your target to make a saving throw to resist the feature's effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:
    Ki save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Wisdom modifier

Flurry of Blows: When you take the Attack action using an unarmed strike or a monk weapon, you can spend 1 Ki to make one additional Unarmed Strike as part of the Attack action.
    Patient Defense: You can spend 1 ki point to take the Dodge action as a bonus action on your turn.
    Step of the Wind: You can spend 1 ki point to triple your jump distance until the end of your next turn

Level 2: Unarmored Movement
    Starting at 2nd level, your speed increases by 10 feet while you are not wielding a shield. This bonus increases when you reach certain monk levels, as shown in the Monk table.
    At 9th level, you gain the ability to move along vertical surfaces and across liquids on your turn without falling during the move.

Level 3: Monastic Tradition
    Choose one Monk Tradition to follow, same as the books.

Level 3: Deflect Missiles
    When you are hit by a ranged weapon attack you can use your reaction to deflect or catch the missile, reducing the damage by 1d10 + your Dexterity modifier + your monk level.
    If you reduce the damage to 0, you can catch the missile if you are able to hold it. If you catch a missile in this way, as part of the same reaction you can spend 1 ki point to make a ranged attack using the missile at the same range. You are considered proficient in this attack.

Level 4: Slow Fall
    You can use your reaction when you fall to reduce any falling damage you take by an amount equal to five times your monk level.

Level 5: Extra Attack
    You can attack twice whenever you take the Attack action on your turn. If you already have the Extra Attack feature you instead increase one attribute of your choice by 1, to a maximum of 20.

Level 5: Stunning Strike
    When you hit a creature with a melee attack using an unarmed strike or monk weapon, you can attempt a stunning strike. The target must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of your next turn. You can use this feature a number of times equal to twice your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Level 6: Purity of Body
    You gain proficiency in your choice of Dexterity or Constitution saving throws.
    In addition, you gain resistance to Poison damage and advantage on saving throws against Poison and Disease.

Level 7: Evasion
    When you are subjected to an effect that allows you to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail.

Level 7: Ki-Empowered Strikes
    Your unarmed strikes count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage.
    In addition, you can use your action to expend a number of ki points up to your proficiency bonus to grant a bonus to attack and damage rolls to your unarmed strikes equal to half the number of ki points spent. This bonus lasts until you take your next short or long rest, and does not stack with any item or effect that would give your unarmed strikes a bonus to your attack and damage rolls such as an Insignia of Claws.

Level 8: Quickened Healing
    Once on your turn when you use your action or bonus action to spend one or more Ki points, you can spend 1 Ki point to regain a number of hit points equal to one roll of your Martial Arts die plus your Wisdom bonus (minimum 1).

Level 9: Focused Aim
    Once per turn, when you miss with an attack roll you can spend 1 Ki point to reroll the attack, potentially turning the miss into a hit.

Level 10: Stillness of Mind
    You gain proficiency in your choice of Intelligence or Charisma saving throws.
    In addition, at the beginning of your turn if you are subject to the Charmed or Frightened condition you can end that condition on yourself. If you choose to do so you cannot use your action on your turn.

Level 13: Tongue of Sun and Moon
    You understand all spoken languages, and any creature that can understand a language can understand you.

Level 14: Diamond Soul
    You gain proficiency in all saving throws, and when you fail a saving throw you can spend 1 ki point to reroll it and take the second result.

Level 15: Timeless Body
    You no longer require food nor water, and you cannot be aged magically nor suffer the ill effects of old age.

Level 18: Empty Body
    As a bonus action you can spend 4 ki to become invisible for 1 minute. During that time, you also have resistance to all damage but force damage.
    Additionally, you can spend 8 ki points to cast the Astral Projection spell, without needing material components. When you do so, you cannot take any other creatures with you.

Level 20: Perfect Self
    At the start of each of your turns you gain 1 temporary Ki point, which lasts until the end of your turn unless you expend it.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

I can't repost the subclass, but here's a link to the contest.

First entry is mine and may go a ways toward alleviating your fears if allowed.

If you have any questions or comments pls post them here.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Monk are actually very strong early, it's later on they tend to fall short. Also as it has been said before, they shine way more in encounter that aren't punching matches while standing still. Their mobility is awesome, and stunning strike is amazing. A few simple quality of life: At higher level, giving them the equivalent of a magical weapon for their fist is fine. Also, if Ki is hard to manage for the player and he fill like he's always short, adding 1 Ki point to his pool every 3 level helps. Another possibility is giving Ki fueled abilities a free use once per long rest. It free up some Ki, while encouraging the player to use every technics in it's arsenal. They will cease to feel guilty not using every Ki point they have to stunning strike every hit on every turn.
    You can also allow them to use strenght instead of dex for unarmored defense, allowing them to build a grappler monk.
    Last edited by Chronic; 2021-12-20 at 09:52 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

I was reading an idea about limiting stunning strike based on proficiency bonus, or some other value that doesn't require the use of ki points. Prevents it from being spammed, and also allows ki to be saved for other uses.

I like the idea of leaving the HD at 8, but I also think I'll talk to the DM about ensuring that encounters aren't static battles. Knowing him the way I do, I think this will be unnecessary, honestly.

I do like the bonus action options used in Kane0's entry as well.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I was reading an idea about limiting stunning strike based on proficiency bonus, or some other value that doesn't require the use of ki points. Prevents it from being spammed, and also allows ki to be saved for other uses.

I like the idea of leaving the HD at 8, but I also think I'll talk to the DM about ensuring that encounters aren't static battles. Knowing him the way I do, I think this will be unnecessary, honestly.

I do like the bonus action options used in Kane0's entry as well.
    Yeah i covered those too
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

One suggestion I really like is making Flurry of Blows read: "Once on each of your turns when you take the attack action, you may spend 1ki to make an unarmed strike as an additional attack as part of that action."

This gives the same number of attacks as before if you also make your martial arts bonus action attack, but frees up your bonus action for Step of the Wind, Patient Defense, or other options, while still giving you an extra attack.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

As much as it seems heretical to post this in a homebrew thread... I'd suggest playing with the vanilla monk first, if only for a few sessions.

If your son is happy with his character? There's no need to change anything. And if he does end up getting frustrated by the monk, you'll be able to talk to him about why it isn't working for him, which is better than asking a bunch of strangers online.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Kinda agree with Amechra here.

Do I think Monk is weak? Yeah. Do I even like the design of the Monk? No.

Do I think that weakness actually shows up in most campaigns? Not really.

So, how optimized is your play group? If they're not all that bad, I wouldn't really touch the Monk. Maybe just let them use Step of the Wind provided they have at least 1 Ki remaining. Or just free. It's not a big deal.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

What do you think of providing more ki points at lower levels? Or instead of D12 goings 2D6?
    More Ki is another decent option. I prefer making SoTW free as that will encourage its use as well as free up some ki. 2d6 instead of 1d12 would be fine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    I think the power of the monk fluctuates according to the DM.
    {snipped}

Boosting martial arts die by one is an excellent start (though beware as a lot of newer monk classes key off the MA die quite hard for other abilities). Monks are already powerhouse damage dealers at lower levels; most characters need to wait till level 4 to pick up a feat for a bonus action attack and monks not only get that early, but can get two attacks. Beware of boosting this too much.

I don't think making step of the wind free is quite right - but one free use per short rest puts it in the place where it can be frequently used but not spammed. It makes the monk feel like a monk doing monk things whilst preserving meaningful choice. Boosting Ki could do the same, but in practice this seems to just end up in more stunning strikes and less of a rich breadth of monk abilities.
    Yeah, a RaW Monk in the right campaign can be really good. Unfortunately the right campaign isn’t super common.

Boosting the MA die could be more than you bargained for with a couple of the new subclasses but I don’t think they get bumped to over powered just really good. That would be something to talk to your players about though, let them know that if it ends up being too much it may need to go back to the original die size.

I like making SoTW free because they still have much more powerful options that they’ll want their bonus action for. They just cost ki. This frees up some ki and gives them more to work with when they’re running low.
    I still don’t think it will get a ton more use than it does now between stunning strike, flurry of blows, and patient defense, but it gives a lot more freedom to do “Monk” things.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    Other options are:

d10 hit die (this takes the pain off the monk being MAD just a little. Those few extra HP can go a long way)
    The ritual caster feat (this plays up a monastic, more scholarly monk feel and helps them out of combat)
    The non-stat part of the elven accuracy feat - a nice reward for more tactical play and getting advantage or for using mobility to targe a more vulnerable creature

I wouldn't think of these as needed if the DM uses as many casters as martials as NPCs, as long as magic weapons are in short supply (i.e. if the monks fists counting as magical is not just a ribbon) and as long as the DM has different, differentiated fights in nteresting 3 dimensional environments.
    I think the only part of this that I disagree with is the d10 HD. I don’t think it’s bad per se but that would seem to encourage a play style more like a Fighter, Paladin, or (to a lesser degree) Ranger, instead of like a Rogue. IMO Monks should be running in and out of combat throwing stuns on big targets and cleaning up minions so that the heavier hitters can focus fire on a (possibly stunned) bigger threat. I think a d8 HD tells players that they should be avoiding going toe to toe against anything unless there is simply no other option.
    But that gets in to class expectations which are going to very from person to person.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

My son is running a monk in our next campaign, and I can't help but frown when I read how terrible it is. 1d4 martial arts damage, but the unarmed fighting style in tasha's makes it a d8 for a fighter.
    The Monk deals 1d8+3 (7.5 on average) with a quarterstaff, plus 1d4+3 (5.5 on average) with martial arts. That's 13 damage for free, every round, at 1st level.

Tasha's unarmed-style Fighter deals 1d8+3 (7.5 on average) with an unarmed strike and... that's it.

Spend a precious ki point to gain one more attack than normal twf.
    A two-weapon Fighter deals 1d6+3 twice (total 13). A two-weapon Barbarian deals 1d6+5 and 1d6+2 (total 14) while raging, or 1d6+3 and 1d6 (total 10) when not raging. So the Monk without ki is as strong as the strongest Fighter and almost as strong as the Barbarian during his strongest minutes of the day.

With ki, the Monk deals an extra 1d4+3 (5.5) damage, pushing it up to 18.5 total. The Monk becomes far stronger than the Barbarian, and while the Monk can only maintain this power level for two rounds of a battle (instead of raging for the whole battle), the Monk regains this power every short rest (while the Barbarian can do this only twice per long rest).

In brief, the Monk hits harder than everyone else at low levels. Don't buff it.

Spend another precious ki point to do what a Rogue can for free at level 2.
    This actually does suck. I think Step of the Wind should be free.
    Last edited by GalacticAxekick; 2021-12-21 at 01:46 PM.
    Ongoing 5e Projects:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GalacticAxekick View Post
    The Monk deals 1d8+3 (7.5 on average) with a quarterstaff, plus 1d4+3 (5.5 on average) with martial arts. That's 13 damage for free, every round, at 1st level.

Tasha's unarmed-style Fighter deals 1d8+3 (7.5 on average) with an unarmed strike and... that's it.

A two-weapon Fighter deals 1d6+3 twice (total 13). A two-weapon Barbarian deals 1d6+5 and 1d6+2 (total 14) while raging, or 1d6+3 and 1d6 (total 10) when not raging. So the Monk without ki is as strong as the strongest Fighter and almost as strong as the Barbarian during his strongest minutes of the day.

With ki, the Monk deals an extra 1d4+3 (5.5) damage, pushing it up to 18.5 total. The Monk becomes far stronger than the Barbarian, and while the Monk can only maintain this power level for two rounds of a battle (instead of raging for the whole battle), the Monk regains this power every short rest (while the Barbarian can do this only twice per long rest).

In brief, the Monk hits harder than everyone else at low levels. Don't buff it.

This actually does suck. I think Step of the Wind should be free.
    I accept this premise on average, with the quarterstaff. Obviously the other argument on the twf front is a variant human with the dual wielder feat and two weapon fighting style wielding a pair of longswords, but there will always be exceptions to everything.

17. - Top - End - #17

EvilClericGuy

"A character with a feat is stronger than a character without a feat" should not be surprising. ;)

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

I remember sitting down to play my first Monk at 5th level, and despairing that my damage was so low... until someone pointed out to me that 3-4 attacks dealing 1d6+4 damage was pretty solid in 5e.

That campaign did set me up for some future disappointment, though — we had misread short rests as being 10 minutes long, and Step of the Wind as being a Dash and Disengage (instead of either-or). The second misreading really didn't affect much (I was a Drunken Master, so my flurries Disengaged me anyway), but quicker (and, as a result, more frequent) short rests basically let me throw ki around like it was going out of style. If you haven't had a chance to play a Monk or Warlock in a game where you're practically guaranteed a short rest between fights, I highly suggest it.

To be entirely fair, I give Monks bonus ki equal to their Wisdom modifier in my houserules (and also allow Monk/Rogue multiclass characters to sneak attack with unarmed strikes), so it's not like I'm against fiddling with stuff... it's just that it's very useful to have some experience with whatever you're fiddling with, so that you can make sure that your changes address your pain points.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    As much as it seems heretical to post this in a homebrew thread... I'd suggest playing with the vanilla monk first, if only for a few sessions.

If your son is happy with his character? There's no need to change anything. And if he does end up getting frustrated by the monk, you'll be able to talk to him about why it isn't working for him, which is better than asking a bunch of strangers online.
    He hasn't played it yet, this is just on my own observations. The group itself is almost completely new. He has played in two previous campaigns as a fighter and a barbarian (About three sessions a piece). I don't know anything about the two new players other than that they are experienced and knowledgeable. The DM I play with is very good with the story, but he tends to make encounters challenging. I am just trying to head-off any potential pitfalls to prevent a bad time. He might enjoy it as weak as it is, but playing a character class with more abilities is going to be a challenge for him already. He's still relatively new.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgeh View Post
    "A character with a feat is stronger than a character without a feat" should not be surprising. ;)
    Haha, well I suppose there is that.
    Last edited by AndrewBlade; 2021-12-21 at 04:46 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

He hasn't played it yet, this is just on my own observations. The group itself is almost completely new. He has played in two previous campaigns as a fighter and a barbarian (About three sessions a piece). I don't know anything about the two new players other than that they are experienced and knowledgeable. The DM I play with is very good with the story, but he tends to make encounters challenging. I am just trying to head-off any potential pitfalls to prevent a bad time. He might enjoy it as weak as it is, but playing a character class with more abilities is going to be a challenge for him already. He's still relatively new.
    Probably best to stick to the default then, with maybe Tasha's options thrown in. If that doesn't pan out well then feel free to start tinkering, but it's good to know the baseline experience first.
    Roll for it
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

To be entirely fair, I give Monks bonus ki equal to their Wisdom modifier in my houserules
    This sounds like a good idea to keep in mind as well.
    Last edited by AndrewBlade; 2021-12-21 at 04:52 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

What kind of "challenging" are we talking here? Like, if you were bringing a Fighter to your DM's games, would you feel OK bringing a "naive" build like a sword-and-board Battle Master, or would you feel like you'd need to bring in something more optimized (like, say, something like this) in order to actually keep up?

Because the Monk's default, unoptimized damage handily keeps up with the "naive" Fighter's, at least until Tier 3. If the encounters are challenging due to the required tactics and not the required numbers, a Monk isn't going to be slowing down the rest of the party.

EDIT: Bear in mind that I gave the Monk bonus ki in a context where I:

• Banned Artificers, Paladins, and Wizards for setting reasons.
    • Powered up Barbarians (they deal some damage while shoving and grappling), Rangers (they got Find Familiar and Find Steed), Sorcerers (they got bonus spells known equal to their Constitution modifier from any list), and Warlocks (Int-based and they automatically know all of their Patron spells).

Make of that what you will.
    Last edited by Amechra; 2021-12-21 at 05:20 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

What kind of "challenging" are we talking here? Like, if you were bringing a Fighter to your DM's games, would you feel OK bringing a "naive" build like a sword-and-board Battle Master, or would you feel like you'd need to bring in something more optimized (like, say, something like this) in order to actually keep up?

Because the Monk's default, unoptimized damage handily keeps up with the "naive" Fighter's, at least until Tier 3. If the encounters are challenging due to the required tactics and not the required numbers, a Monk isn't going to be slowing down the rest of the party.
    I am less worried about slowing down the party as I am other members of the party eclipsing him in effectiveness. Again, he's relatively new and not as experienced, and he is unlikely to make the most of what the monk can do. I can coach him and give him some tips, but he is mostly used to standing in front of the bad guy and trading blows until one of them falls over while the rest of the party helps. If he tries that as a monk- which he very well might- he is going to get knocked out. That is likely to happen regardless of any modifications to the monk. My concern is that he will adapt, but still feel lacking. I'm not sure yet what the other two players will be bringing to the table- they like the element of surprise- but I will be playing a rogue and my wife a wizard (with a level of cleric to pick up some armor). His playstyle may dictate that he multiclasses out of Monk to become a bit sturdier, but I don't want it to happen just because he feels the monk's class is weak.

24. - Top - End - #24

BlueKnightGuy

[I am worried about] other members of the party eclipsing him in effectiveness. [...] He is mostly used to standing in front of the bad guy and trading blows until one of them falls over while the rest of the party helps. If he tries that as a monk- which he very well might- he is going to get knocked out.
    Not really. At low levels, the Monk has 16 AC, deals 13 damage per round (without ki) or 18.5 damage per round (with ki), and uses d8 hit dice. A damage-optimized Fighter has 16 AC, deals 13 damage per round, and uses d10 hit dice. The Monk is only marginally more fragile, but significantly harder hitting. I'd say they're equally likely to survive a toe-to-toe battle.

The Fighter COULD improve his AC with a shield. But that would cut his damage from 13 per round to 1d8+3 (7.5) per round. This means he can take more hits, but has to stand in close range for longer and NEEDS to take more hits. Really, there isn't a Fighter build that significantly overshadows the Monk in terms of durabilty.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd suggest talking to your son about it — or, at least, let him know ahead of time that Monks are supposed to play more like your Rogue than his mighty Fighter or Barbarian. Who knows, maybe that's even why he wants to try out of the Monk!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GalacticAxekick View Post
    Not really. At low levels, the Monk has 16 AC, deals 13 damage per round (without ki) or 18.5 damage per round (with ki), and uses d8 hit dice. A damage-optimized Fighter has 16 AC, deals 13 damage per round, and uses d10 hit dice. The Monk is only marginally more fragile, but significantly harder hitting. I'd say they're equally likely to survive a toe-to-toe battle.

The Fighter COULD improve his AC with a shield. But that would cut his damage from 13 per round to 1d8+3 (7.5) per round. This means he can take more hits, but has to stand in close range for longer and NEEDS to take more hits. Really, there isn't a Fighter build that significantly overshadows the Monk in terms of durabilty.
    Right- I keep neglecting the quarterstaff as a primary weapon in addition to unarmed bonus attack. I keep thinking of just 1d4 damage dice for each attack.

I'll leave it be and see what happens.

Except the step of the wind for free. I still might try to make that a bit cheaper, ki-wise.

I'd suggest talking to your son about it — or, at least, let him know ahead of time that Monks are supposed to play more like your Rogue than his mighty Fighter or Barbarian. Who knows, maybe that's even why he wants to try out of the Monk!
    This is my hope. He wanted to play something cool. We shall see how it goes. We don't play until the end of January- I'm just impatient and find myself with time on my hands to do nothing but think about character builds.
    Last edited by AndrewBlade; 2021-12-21 at 06:16 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm curious — what level are you starting at? And what subclass is your kid looking at?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm curious — what level are you starting at? And what subclass is your kid looking at?
    Starting level 1. He's looking at Drunken Master.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

An excellent choice!

Drunken Master is nice because it pushes you towards hit-and-run tactics through its features — Drunken Technique practically screams "use me to punch someone then walk away".

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm very excited to see him utilize some new tactics.