New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Re: Best "fixed" 5e Monk

I wonder if it might be a small boost to change the key stats around.

Say put stunning stike onto Str to determine the DC of the save. This then means the monk can be a grappler as well as a striking martial artist. Make unarmoured defense 10 + dex + con so a monk doesn't have to sacrifice HP due to MADness. For subclasses like Open hand, Kensei, Drunken Master - they all feel more physical than spiritual so it might not be a thematic loss either.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    I wonder if it might be a small boost to change the key stats around.

Say put stunning stike onto Str to determine the DC of the save. This then means the monk can be a grappler as well as a striking martial artist. Make unarmoured defense 10 + dex + con so a monk doesn't have to sacrifice HP due to MADness. For subclasses like Open hand, Kensei, Drunken Master - they all feel more physical than spiritual so it might not be a thematic loss either.
    I'm all for the wisdom concept, as it implies that their martial arts is based on effective techniques than superior physicality. I would maybe suggest shifting the modifier for offensive grappling for a monk to wisdom, with defensive grappling (escaping a grapple) still able to use acrobatics or wisdom.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Astral Monk does exactly this (as well as giving reach and force damage).

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
    Astral Monk does exactly this (as well as giving reach and force damage).
    I know! I loved that aspect of that subclass when I read about it! Who knows, maybe my son will be into that idea before the decision comes around.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ettin in the Playground

Random idea about durability and monks.

What if at the end of each turn, a Monk gains temporary HP equal to the number of Ki they spent that turn times their wisdom bonus?

Total Ki (per short rest) is proportional to Monk class level. Times wisdom bonus, this acts a bit like "you can add your wisdom bonus to your HP per level", but not quite.

1. Add both Str and Dex to unarmed strike and monk weapon damage.

For a typical monk, this is 1 or 2 points of damage per unarmed strike; but a damage-focused monk is an option. While this does make the monk "more MAD", the balance point of this is 1-2 more damage per swing; the monk can give up wisdom or con or feats to get even more damage as an option.

2. When you spend Ki, gain temporary HP equal to # of Ki spent times Wisdom bonus at end of each turn.

Not sure how long should they last? I don't think it matters; ending on a rest is good enough I think. They don't accumulate.

3. Rework Stunning Strike. As thoughts:
    * First time you hit a foe on your turn with a melee weapon attack, you get a free stunning strike
    * When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you get a free stunning strike
    * You can spend a Ki to make a foe reroll a successful stunning strike saving throw, but only once.

This makes Stunning Strike less spammable, and less of a Ki-sink. You can still invest Ki into it (the reroll mechanic), but it is rate-limited.

The monk will get more stun attempts per short rest this way, but fewer peak stun attempts per round, and will spend less Ki on it over a short rest typically.

4. At level 11, get a 2nd bonus action on your turn, but you cannot use the same bonus action twice.

So you can Flurry *and* use your Martial Arts to get 5 swings. Or you can Flurry and Dodge.

5. At level 17, you can spend a Ki to reroll a missed attack. This reroll has advantage, and ignores disadvantage.

This is a kind of "soft" extra attack mechanic, giving them a T4 boost.

6. At level 20, the first Ki you spend each turn is free.

Gets rid of the gamey "rolls initiative" mechanic, and has use before you are completely out of gas. Also ensures you'll always have gas.
    Last edited by Yakk; 2022-01-06 at 10:13 AM.