We'll make the grade and win this fight

We'll make the grade somehow
    Yeah!
    Yu-Gi-Oh GX!

Game on, get your game on
    Come on ya better play your cards right
    Come on and get your game on!

Basic Game Play Overview
    (Largely taken from AvatarVecna and altered to fit this game.)

The game is played in turns that consist of six different phases.
    There's a draw phase, during which time player’s powers refresh and I, the narrator, resolve the resolution of the powers at the previous end phase. The Draw Phase is skipped during the first turn.
    In the same post, the Standby Phase will occur. Additional powers will resolve. In general, Duel Academy powers will resolve in the Standby Phase while Shadow Rider powers will resolve in the End Phase.
    There is a Main Phase 1, identical to what in other games is called the Day Phase. During this phase, votes are cast on which players shall be Destroyed. Votes are done in red text. You may change your vote if you wish, in which case, you should edit your previous post and strike-through your previous vote. Generally, a Destroyed Player is Removed from the game, and their role shall be revealed.
    In the Battle Phase, the player with the most votes is Destroyed.
    Then, in Main Phase 2, similar to the more common werewolf game’s Night Phase, power usage is declared, and will resolve, generally, in either the Standby Phase or the Endphase.
    Endphase. Shadow Rider powers will resolve, and resolutions will appear in the same post as the next day’s Draw Phase, Standby Phase, and start of Main Phase One.

The game ends when either all Shadow Riders have been Destroyed, or victory for the Shadow Riders becomes inevitable. As per the rules of Yu-Gi-Oh!, adapted into this team game, surrender by consensus within either team is allowed at any time.

Duel Academy Roles

Jaden Yuki – Baner: You’re gonna be the next King of Games! Bottom of your class in grades, but top in dueling, you can do anything as long as you remember that games should be fun!
    Neo Space
    During your Main Phase 2: Target 1 player for your Neo-Spacians to protect. In the Standby Phase of the next turn, that player gains the effect: Cannot be targeted by card effects. This effect lasts until the next Standby Phase.

Syrus Truesdale – True Friend: You are the forgotten child, always thought of as “Zane’s little brother.” You’re not as good a duelist as your brother, but you’re a much better friend.
    Limiter Remover: On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 player. Their effect is boosted depending on their special ability. Once you target a player, you cannot boost that same player until 2 Standby Phases have passed.

Bastion Misawa – Strategist: A prodigy, you were put into Ra Yellow in your freshman year due to your clever dueling. You are the best choice to protect the Spirit Keys, and you mean to prove it.
    Bonding - H2O
    Target 1 Player. Starting in the next Standby Phase, whenever that Player targets another with their special ability, they gain the additional effect: “leave a puddle of water behind for your target to find.” This effect is permanent.

Chazz Princeton – The Chazz! The youngest of the Princetons, and the future King of Games! It’s time for the rise of… the Chazz! No one will defeat you! And if they do, they’ll regret it!
    Chthonian Blast
    On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 Player. Starting in the next turn’s standby phase, if you are Destroyed (by battle or card effect), the other player is also Destroyed. If you target a third player with this ability, this effect is no longer active on one previous target of your choice. So this can be active on up to two Players at a time.

Alexis Rhodes – Queen of Obelisk Blue: You need to save your brother. You know you’ll find him someday. For now, you need to protect your key.
    ADDITIONAL WIN CONDITION: Alexis Rhodes can win with the rest of town, OR she can find her brother and leave.
    ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION CONDITION: If Alexis’s brother is Destroyed, she is Destroyed as well.
    Prima Light
    On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 Player. If they are your brother, they are asked if they would like to go with you on the next Standby Phase. If they accept, you and that player immediately win and depart the game. You do not know whether you were rejected or merely chose an invalid target.

Zane Truesdale – Hell Kaiser: You’re the best duelist and the best choice to protect the Spirit Keys from the Shadow Riders. And you’ll prove it with ruthless efficiency.
    Power Bond: On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 Player. Destroy that target during the next Standby Phase.

Professor Shepherd – Seer:
    You know your students, and these Shadow Riders are certainly not your students!
    Your role PM only identifies you as “Duel Academy Professor.”
    Gold Sarcophagus
    During your Main Phase 2: Target 1 player. Learn that player’s role during the next standby phase. Targeting yourself will return the result “Duel Academy Professor.”

Professor Crowler – Fool: In the words of Alexis Rhodes, “Crowler talks a good game but he plays a terrible one.” You’re never quite as clever as you like to say you are.
    Your Role PM only identifies you as “Duel Academy Professor.”
    Unfinished Time Box: During your Main Phase 2: Target 1 player. Receive a random role result as if it were a scry result in the next standby phase. Targeting yourself will return the result “Duel Academy Professor.”

Chumley – The 'Licious: You never really fit in until you met Jaden and Cyrus. Now you'll stick by them!
    Koala March
    The first time you would be Destroyed by card effects, you are not Destroyed.

Blair Flannigan – Pursuer: You are in love with Zane Truesdale, and he will be yours and see how much you care for him!
    Beckoning Light
    On your Main Phase 2: You can Target 1 Player. Starting on the next Standby Phase, that player can only target you with card effects, and if they choose another target they instead target you. Only one Player may be affected by "Beckoning Light" at one time.

Ms. Dorothy – Card Shop Owner: “Oh, I don’t work here. I own here!”
    Fusion Recovery: Target 1 Dead “Duel Academy” Player. Starting the next Standby Phase, gain their effects and replace this ability with theirs for the rest of the game.

Fonda Fontaine – Gym Teacher: Why do none of these kids at this card game school want to play sports?
    Dark Cure: Target 1 Player. During the next Standby Phase, if they currently have an ongoing effect active on them, such as “Cthonian Blast” or “Bonding – H2O,” it is removed.

Elemental HERO Neos – Watcher: You were the result of a KaibaCorp experiment sending Jaden’s first deck into space (he won a cereal box competition). In many ways, you owe your EXISTENCE to Jaden. You’re here to help him.
    Contact Gate: On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 player. On your next Standby Phase, learn any player(s) Targeted by that player on the same Main Phase 2.

Elemental HERO Flame Wingman - Lookout: You’re Jaden’s go-to fusion monster, and you’ve had many battles together. What’s one more before retirement?
    Skyscraper: On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 player. On your next Standby Phase, learn any player(s) that targeted them, except yourself, on the same Main Phase 2.

Winged Kuriboh – Sacrificial Lamb: You were passed from the previous King of Games to Jaden in order to protect him, and you bloody well will!
    Transcendent Wings: On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 player. Starting in the next Standby Phase, if you are Destroyed by battle or card effect, the first time that player would be Destroyed, they are not Destroyed. If you target three player with this ability, this effect is no longer active on the first target(s). Like Cthonian Blast, this can be active at up to 2 Players at a time.

Gravekeeper’s Chief – Tomb Guardian: You are a guardian of all that is buried. The Shadow Riders would unearth what was meant to be laid to rest forever, and must be stopped.
    Necrovalley: You can read, but not post in, the dead chat.

Shadow Rider Roles

Kagemaru – Alpha Leader of the Shadow Riders, you shall regain your lost youth, whatever it takes.
    Raviel, Lord of Phantasms: You are unaffected by card effects. When you are targeted by a card effect, you decide what result that person gets.
    Hamon, Lord of Striking Thunder: On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 Player. In the Endphase, Destroy them. This power passes on to the next Shadow Rider in the event of its owner’s Destruction, in the order that the roles are listed.
    Uria, Lord of Searing Flames: You can empower your strikes with powerful flame. If a character targeted by your Striking Thunder attack would not be destroyed because of a special ability, destroy them anyway. Once used, this ability cannot be activated again until a full turn order has passed (so you would only be able to use this every other turn).

Amnael – Devil: You are capable of assuming the identity of the mild-mannered Lyman Banner, a trusted professor well-liked by your students. As a golem, you need the Philosopher’s Stone in order to regain your lost humanity.
    Lead Compass
    At the start of the game, you learn four Duel Academy roles not currently in play.
    Silver Key
    On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 Player. In the Endphase, learn their role.

Camula – Vampire: You are an actual vampire. It’s not quite clear how that happened. Since when are vampires real in Yu-Gi-Oh!? Whatever.
    Book of Life
    The first time you would be Destroyed (by battle or card effect), you are not Destroyed.
    Illusion Gate
    On your Main Phase 2: Target 2 Players. Any card effect, other than your own, that targets either Player until the next Endphase instead targets the other.

Nightshroud – Ghost: You are possessing the body of an unwilling host whose name is definitely not important. Surely it couldn’t be the only missing person alluded to in the game. You serve as a Shadow Rider, and have for many lifetimes.
    Zero: You can read, but not post in, the Dead-Chat.
    Infinity: When you are Destroyed, Target 1 Player. In the Endphase, take control of that target (they become a Shadow Rider).

Don Zaloog – Graverobber: A spirit of the trading card “Don Zaloog,” you have taken advantage of your new life to form a gang of grave-robbers who call themselves the Dark Scorpions. Also you’re helping the guy who brought you to life.
    Dark Scorpion – Gorg the Strong: Votes against you are subtracted by 2.
    Dark Scorpion – Chick the Yellow: On your Main Phase 2: Target 1 enemy player that is Destroyed; their effect becomes yours until the Endphase. If you choose an effect with a target, perform targeting as appropriate and resolve that effect in the Endphase.

Spoiler: Roles/Players
    Show

Player Role Side
    AvatarVecna Kagemaru Shadow Riders
    BatCatHat Jaden Yuki Duel Academy
    Bladescape Syrus Truesdale Duel Academy
    Gac3 Zane Truesdale Duel Academy
    BookWombat Chancellor Shepherd Duel Academy
    CaoimhinTheCape Winged Kuriboh Duel Academy
    Rogan Bastion Misawa Duel Academy
    JNinja Blair Flannigan Duel Academy
    Flat_Footed Amnael Shadow riders
    Snowblaze Camula Shadow Riders
    Supagoof Fonda Fontaine Duel Academy
    Taffimal Chazz Princeton Duel Academy
    Valmark Ms Dorothy Duel Academy

A silhouette in the night sky.
    The moon is outlined by a dark figure... who then catches fire.
    As his kite burned, Nightshroud, the first of the Shadow Riders, touched down.
    "So," he says, smiling under his mask.
    "This is what burns first."

Spoiler: Nightshroud
    Show

"The sacred WHAT?"
    "Beasts," Chancellor Shepherd answered. He had assembled the seven top duelists in the school. Two teachers: Professor of Technique Dr. Vellian Crowlder, Ph.D and Professor of Occultism Lyman Banner. The top-rated student duelist of the school, Zane Truesdale. The Queen of Obelisk Blue, the highest-rated female student duelist of the school, Alexis Rhodes. The Cross-School Duel Student Representative and Runner-Up respectively, Jaden Yuki and Bastion Misawa. And the kid who dropped out of school but then came back, Chazz Princeton.
    Before him was a box of seven keys, each a different color of the rainbow. He distributed them out to the assembled duelists.
    "This school was not just built to teach children to play card games. We are also the safeguard against the release of the three Sacred Beasts, creatures of destruction that can only be released by those who hold the seven Spirit Keys. So long as each has its champion, the keys can only be taken from you in a duel... or if you refuse a challenge. You seven must protect your keys... I fear a great darkness is coming this way..."

A rowboat with no rower glided through the water. A woman with flowing green hair in a red dress looked upon the school before her and took a deep breath.
    "They all smell so... delicious. I hope the others leave some for me..."

Spoiler: Camula
    Show

For in the jungles, a hungry tiger prowled as it stalked its way toward the academy. Standing on two legs, its fur shed, revealing a woman as strong as the tiger had been. The last thing to fade was her tail as it twitched in excitement.
    Spoiler: Tania
    Show

And bursting from the mud, a tattooed man with bulging biceps and long white hair grinned.
    "Now finally people will once again know the name of Don Zaloog! And I should know... 'cuz that's me!"

Spoiler: Don Zaloog
    Show

And in the darkness, seven tall bottles were left empty under the watchful eye of an old man... ready for them to fill.
    Spoiler: Mysterious Old Man
    Show

Let the Shadow Games return! In Yu-Gi-Oh! GX!
    Last edited by Xihirli; 2022-01-10 at 01:52 PM.
    Spoiler: Check Out my Writing!
    Show

https://www.patreon.com/everskendra

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: Werewolf!

Quote Originally Posted by Xihirli View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Roles/Players
    Show

Player Role Side
    BatCatHat
    Bladescape
    Gac3
    BookWombat
    CaoimhinTheCape
    Rogan Not vig Academy
    Saint-Just
    Seandiggersby
    Snowblaze
    Supagoof
    Taffimal
    Valmark

A silhouette in the night sky.
    The moon is outlined by a dark figure... who then catches fire.
    As his kite burned, Nightshroud, the first of the Shadow Riders, touched down.
    "So," he says, smiling under his mask.
    "This is what burns first."

Spoiler: Nightshroud
    Show

"The sacred WHAT?"
    "Beasts," Chancellor Shepherd answered. He had assembled the seven top duelists in the school. Two teachers: Professor of Technique Dr. Vellian Crowlder, Ph.D and Professor of Occultism Lyman Banner. The top-rated student duelist of the school, Zane Truesdale. The Queen of Obelisk Blue, the highest-rated female student duelist of the school, Alexis Rhodes. The Cross-School Duel Student Representative and Runner-Up respectively, Jaden Yuki and Bastion Misawa. And the kid who dropped out of school but then came back, Chazz Princeton.
    Before him was a box of seven keys, each a different color of the rainbow. He distributed them out to the assembled duelists.
    "This school was not just built to teach children to play card games. We are also the safeguard against the release of the three Sacred Beasts, creatures of destruction that can only be released by those who hold the seven Spirit Keys. So long as each has its champion, the keys can only be taken from you in a duel... or if you refuse a challenge. You seven must protect your keys... I fear a great darkness is coming this way..."

A rowboat with no rower glided through the water. A woman with flowing green hair in a red dress looked upon the school before her and took a deep breath.
    "They all smell so... delicious. I hope the others leave some for me..."

Spoiler: Camula
    Show

For in the jungles, a hungry tiger prowled as it stalked its way toward the academy. Standing on two legs, its fur shed, revealing a woman as strong as the tiger had been. The last thing to fade was her tail as it twitched in excitement.
    Spoiler: Tania
    Show

And bursting from the mud, a tattooed man with bulging biceps and long white hair grinned.
    "Now finally people will once again know the name of Don Zaloog! And I should know... 'cuz that's me!"

Spoiler: Don Zaloog
    Show

And in the darkness, seven tall bottles were left empty under the watchful eye of an old man... ready for them to fill.
    Spoiler: Mysterious Old Man
    Show

Let the Shadow Games return! In Yu-Gi-Oh! GX!
    Let the game begin!
    With a more or less random vote for a Bat with a Cat and a Hat

I think the opening post is interesting and giving us some useful Intel.

13 players active.

Roles named in the post:
    • Professor Shepherd – Seer
    • Professor Crowler – Fool
    • Zane Truesdale - Vigilant
    • Alexis Rhodes - Wrench in every plan
    • Jaden Yuki - Baner
    • Bastion Misawa - Marker
    • Chazz Princeton – Beast of some kind

• Nightshroud – Ghost
    • (Lyman Banner) Amnael – Devil
    • Camula – hard to kill Vortexer
    • Don Zaloog – dead chat / lower votes

Also mentioned, but I could not place them:
    Tania and mysterious old man

Now, it feels strange that Kagemaru – Alpha is not mentioned. That's the bad guy who can actually kill. Maybe he is the old man, but in this case, we would have 5 bad guys active. That's too much for 13 players, right?

So, I would like to hear some opinions:
    Can we trust the info given in the text of the opening post?
    Who is Tania?

@Xi: I think the last two pictures don't work, could you check them please? Also, your post is missing the closing quote for the Recruitment thread.
    Last edited by Rogan; 2021-12-23 at 09:19 AM. Reason: Remove Vote

3. - Top - End - #3

If we had an 8/5 split we'd be at lylo tomorrow. So I doubt that's where we're starting.

I feel like the flavor text is mostly just that. That said, the roles mentioned are likely to be in the game anyway based on their powers. I don't know enough anything about Yu Gi Oh so my perspective is it's just story? I'll reread the opening post in the morning but I don't think we can assume roles from that.

To put something out there, I'll Vote: Snowblaze
    Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2021-12-23 at 11:17 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I did not expect an approval so early, so thank you either Flat_Footed or Truename.
    In light of that, I am going to wait on a few people confirming they've gotten their roles before formally starting D1.

If you did not receive a way to contact me without PMs here on GitP with your message, I do not need your confirmation only your participation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rogan View Post
    @Xi: I think the last two pictures don't work, could you check them please? Also, your post is missing the closing quote for the Recruitment thread. [/b]
    Thanks for the heads-up, pictures seem fine on my end.
    Show

I post short stories in the middle of every month, and if you want to follow my novels as they’re edited and written, you can join as a patron!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I'm opening with a friendly poke at Valmark, because they have a great sense of humour:

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    Oh. Uhm yeah, I'm totally evil, please make me win. Hisss.

So, I would like to hear some opinions:
    Can we trust the info given in the text of the opening post?
    Who is Tania?
    I think Tania is either a vanilla wolf or a neutral role - if she's in the game. Could be that she's the name of the wolf one of town players turns into after Nightshroud dies. However! The opening post indeed mentions exactly thirteen characters, which means it cannot possibly be correct without invalidating Amnael's Lead Compass ability. My guess is there are unfilled roles in the flavour text, and the wolves know which. My money's on Nightshroud (who I'll bet will be doing the faction kills for the wolves and is played by "always-a-wolf" Xihirli - this conjecture based purely on Nightshroud's description being the coolest) and Alexis (a very good fake claim for the devil, because she targets but has a very good reason for never getting results from said targeting). Alternatively, more characters might still make an appearance later.

I don't get why you call Alexis a wrench in every plan. Her night action is voluntary on the side of the wolf - who would be giving up the wolf team's hold on the dead chat (without Nightshroud we can keep helping in the hopes that the tombkeeper is in the game) as well as the replacement wolf since "winning" is not the same as "being destroyed". That's a terrible trade for a townie who has no way to actively help town and who will die with her brother anyways. Add to that the fact that we sign up to play much more than to win and I honestly can't see many players screw over their team like that. But Saint-Just called her disruptive in the recruitment thread as well, so perhaps there's something I'm not seeing? Can you give me an example of a plan that doesn't work because of a possible Alexis?
    Last edited by Taffimai; 2021-12-22 at 03:18 PM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

6. - Top - End - #6

Third time's a charm!
    bladescape, you won't escape!
    Or will, probably more likely.
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2021-12-23 at 10:21 PM.
    Every day...

Discord: bookwhyrm, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Book Wombat View Post
    Third time's a charm!
    bladescape, you won't escape!
    Or will, probably more likely.
    Escape is literally in my name Book Wombat.

Snow, come post so I can tell everyone what side you're on.
    Last edited by bladescape; 2021-12-22 at 05:37 PM.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by bladescape View Post
    Escape is literally in my name Book Wombat.

Snow, come post so I can tell everyone what side you're on.
    Present, town and OMGUSing CaoimhinTheCape.

I need to actually read the setup and the OP now.
    Last edited by Snowblaze; 2021-12-23 at 10:20 AM.
    I'm writing stuff, come and read it!
    Werewolf games won: 24
    Werewolf games lost: 14
    Games as town: 23.5
    Games as neutral: 5.5
    Games as wolf: 9
    Games narrated: 1
    Deaths: 17

Extended Signature

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, I did not expect the game to start so soon. I'll probably be pretty busy for most of today, so let's say Taffmai just to have something out there.

- - - Updated - - -

Make that Taffimai. I've literally never noticed that "i" before.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2021-12-23 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Vote begone!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I think I'll save my vote for after the game starts.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

Quote Originally Posted by Xumtiil View Post
    An Abattoir Vecna, if you will.
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    I think I'll save my vote for after the game starts.
    That is kind of a good point. In my stress I sort of overlooked Xi saying she'd wait to formally start the game. Seems I wasn't the only one, at least.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I knew there were reasons I should read stuff before posting. I just saw other people voting and assumed that meant the game had started.

Also *makes mental note to ask something once we're officially playing*.

Extended Signature

13. - Top - End - #13

So are we, or are we not, voting? If not, I'm just checking in.

If so... let's see who's on the rolodex for me to get a vote...

AvatarVecna - While this would be smart - AV has massive brownie points for narration in last game. Get's a pass until they sus...
    BatCatHat - Usually a good choice, but I've target BCH for first points before. And I was right, but what are the odds that happens again.
    Bladescape - "Escape" is literally in his name. Lol - too entertaining
    Gac3 - The clue master. Figuring out what Gac hides is always fun, no sense in throwing that out the door.
    BookWombat - Bookie always bring some sunshine into games that have gotten too serious. Best to keep him around.
    CaoimhinTheCape - I owe Cao a debt. As in, I got a seer mislynch to happen to him. I will be in his debt for that delightful memory.
    Rogan - Lawful Rogan - guys a paladin. More then once though, he's stood up for me on my extended weekends away from the forum.
    Saint-Just - Only played with SJ once, last game. Perhaps give him the joy of being a senseless bandwagon day 1?
    Seandiggersby - New guy. Don't want to scare new players away by killing them day 1.
    Snowblaze - Snow. If she's a wolf, they'll likely kill her before town does. Bus-master extraordinaire that she is.
    Taffimal - Good player, have done 2 games with Taffi. Her analysis each time enabled a win for my team. Starting to think she's a good luck charm.
    Valmark - Another new guy. Same as before, don't want to scare new guys away.

So if game is going, not so random point at Saint-Just.. See logic above.
    Last edited by Supagoof; 2021-12-22 at 12:18 PM. Reason: Cause day hasn't started!
    I'm usually late to the party, but it's a great time when I get there....
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    Quote Originally Posted by Lex-kat View Post
    It wasn't that easy. Supagoof's just that good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Murska View Post
    Summary:
    Supagoof has won the game and withdrawn. He was Epic

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

You can vote if you want. But since we have no evidence against anybody yet, the only purpose of voting would be randomly having a wagon pop up that puts pressure on people so we can see how they react to pressure. And pressure can't exist yet because the game hasn't started - the countdown to death is not yet moving.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Logic's Deathloop Mafia and Book Wombat's A Small Wager - A Practical Guide To Evil

My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #15

I did not expect an approval so early, so thank you either Flat_Footed or Truename.
    In light of that, I am going to wait on a few people confirming they've gotten their roles before formally starting D1.
    Ah, yep - and this. Ok.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    This is LLD, which, I shouldn't have to tell you, will not bow to your math because it was DESIGNED to ruin it!
    Summary:

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Turn One

Draw Phase Skipped
    Standby Phase conducted
    Main Phase One

Begin voting!
    Show

17. - Top - End - #17

ClericGuy

If you did not receive a way to contact me without PMs here on GitP with your message, I do not need your confirmation only your participation.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the heads-up, pictures seem fine on my end.
    Sorry for being too fast! In my defense, I am used to a note to the effect of "don't post here before I tell you to do so" but having no "day started" should have been a clue as well.

On the other hand, you need my participation and you got it

I checked a bit, the pictures show if I copy the link and open them in a new tab, but they don't show here in my case. But that's not very important, I guess. Thanks for checking.

Quote Originally Posted by Taffimai View Post
    I think Tania is either a vanilla wolf or a neutral role - if she's in the game.
    You think there is a vanilla wolf in an all power game?
    My money's on Nightshroud (who I'll bet will be doing the faction kills for the wolves and is played by "always-a-wolf" Xihirli - this conjecture based purely on Nightshroud's description being the coolest)
    The narrator is a wolf and does the killing? That's a strange take. And, as I mentioned, according to the OP the Alpha has the killing power (and is not named in the text).

I don't get why you call Alexis a wrench in every plan. Her night action is voluntary on the side of the wolf - who would be giving up the wolf team's hold on the dead chat (without Nightshroud we can keep helping in the hopes that the tombkeeper is in the game) as well as the replacement wolf since "winning" is not the same as "being destroyed". That's a terrible trade for a townie who has no way to actively help town and who will die with her brother anyways. Add to that the fact that we sign up to play much more than to win and I honestly can't see many players screw over their team like that. But Saint-Just called her disruptive in the recruitment thread as well, so perhaps there's something I'm not seeing? Can you give me an example of a plan that doesn't work because of a possible Alexis?
    No matter what, if Alexis is in the game, town effectively has one player less. If she succeeds on her mission, she leaves and takes one wolf with her. That's the best case. So unlikely, since the wolf can simply say no.
    The more probable case is, her brother dies (and takes over another player) and she dies, which removes two payers from the game and town looses two roles.
    No matter what, Alexis screws over the number game.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowblaze View Post
    I knew there were reasons I should read stuff before posting. I just saw other people voting and assumed that meant the game had started.

Also *makes mental note to ask something once we're officially playing*.
    Sorry, my bad! Anyway, you can ask now!

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    You can vote if you want. But since we have no evidence against anybody yet, the only purpose of voting would be randomly having a wagon pop up that puts pressure on people so we can see how they react to pressure. And pressure can't exist yet because the game hasn't started - the countdown to death is not yet moving.
    Huh? Did you expect any evidence on Day 1? The most we have is the text of the OP and the 13 persons named there.
    And about pressure, I guess a few hours more or less won't change that much.

Which remindes me...
    @Xi will you count the votes from before the official start or should we place new votes?
    Oh, and what is your stance on old votes not crossed out? I don't remember seeing this in your post (but I didn't bother to check, so if it's there, sorry!)
    Spoiler: I'm a seer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Unavenger View Post
    All the discussion of how weird the half-hour start is seems weirdly prescient, in retrospect.
    Can I use my prediction of the half an hour being used to set up Factional chats as proof I am the Seer?
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue_alchemist View Post
    only IRL, not as in game proof, as we all know that recruitment threads don't count for making IG decisions

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry for being too fast! In my defense, I am used to a note to the effect of "don't post here before I tell you to do so" but having no "day started" should have been a clue as well.

On the other hand, you need my participation and you got it

I checked a bit, the pictures show if I copy the link and open them in a new tab, but they don't show here in my case. But that's not very important, I guess. Thanks for checking.

You think there is a vanilla wolf in an all power game?

The narrator is a wolf and does the killing? That's a strange take. And, as I mentioned, according to the OP the Alpha has the killing power (and is not named in the text).

No matter what, if Alexis is in the game, town effectively has one player less. If she succeeds on her mission, she leaves and takes one wolf with her. That's the best case. So unlikely, since the wolf can simply say no.
    The more probable case is, her brother dies (and takes over another player) and she dies, which removes two payers from the game and town looses two roles.

Sorry, my bad! Anyway, you can ask now!

Huh? Did you expect any evidence on Day 1? The most we have is the text of the OP and the 13 persons named there.
    And about pressure, I guess a few hours more or less won't change that much.

Which remindes me...
    @Xi will you count the votes from before the official start or should we place new votes?
    Oh, and what is your stance on old votes not crossed out? I don't remember seeing this in your post (but I didn't bother to check, so if it's there, sorry!)
    My point is that voting is already a lil weak D1, and that's extra-true when game hasn't even started yet. WW sucks up enough of my energy when it's already started (and not Christmas season, for that matter), I'm not spending an extra half day on mental energy on it that's literally incapable of affecting the final result just cuz a couple people are antsy.

Placeholder vote on AvatarVecna.

My Homebrew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Right. Question. @Batcathat, why is the start of a game so stressful?

Also I've realised it's a bit unfair for me to be voting Caoimhin after I got them killed in the last two games. So Taffimai for not putting me out of my misery in Afterlife.

Extended Signature

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Taffimai View Post
    The opening post indeed mentions exactly thirteen characters, which means it cannot possibly be correct without invalidating Amnael's Lead Compass ability. My guess is there are unfilled roles in the flavour text, and the wolves know which. My money's on Nightshroud (who I'll bet will be doing the faction kills for the wolves and is played by "always-a-wolf" Xihirli - this conjecture based purely on Nightshroud's description being the coolest) and Alexis (a very good fake claim for the devil, because she targets but has a very good reason for never getting results from said targeting). Alternatively, more characters might still make an appearance later.
    So, that's a really good point - if we can make assumptions about who is in the game based on the flavor text, that Wolf ability is much less helpful.

I disagree about Nightshroud/Alexis not being in the game - it seems like this is a unique pair of roles and if I was running, I'd be hesitant to cut something like that.

Vote: Snowblaze It's still random but want to make sure I have a vote down and I'm not sure if the ones before Day 1 Start count.

- - - Updated - - -

Also I've realised it's a bit unfair for me to be voting Caoimhin after I got them killed in the last two games. So Taffimai for not putting me out of my misery in Afterlife.
    Ehh, no worries. Though I did find it funny how in the last game the only people not voting me were Wolves.

Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    CaoimhinTheCape - I owe Cao a debt. As in, I got a seer mislynch to happen to him. I will be in his debt for that delightful memory.

Seandiggersby - New guy. Don't want to scare new players away by killing them day 1.

So if game is going, not so random point at Saint-Just.. See logic above.
    Lol, thanks for owing me I guess. Again, no worries. I was (correctly) calling you a wolf after all.

I also like that Val is new! Welcome new player Val! I'm sure this will be an exciting experience for you, being unaccustomed to Mafia and such games.

Sarcasm aside, an actually welcome to Seandiggersby. Hope you enjoy the game!
    Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2021-12-23 at 11:46 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

RedKnightGirl

You think there is a vanilla wolf in an all power game? The narrator is a wolf and does the killing? That's a strange take. And, as I mentioned, according to the OP the Alpha has the killing power (and is not named in the text).
    My point is that the narration need not exactly follow the actual status of the game, and in a setup where one of the advantages of the wolves is to have more information about which roles are or aren't in the game, I actually expect it not to. The wolf faction kill, which mechanically lies with a specific wolf as specified in the opening post, could be performed by another in the narration so as not to give us information. Just because "Tania" shows up at the academy to represent the lynch or Nightshroud rips apart a night kill doesn't mean they're actively in the game. Please don't lynch the narrator again :(

This true, but it is all very predictable. For example, we already know now that in a 4T/2W situation, we might lose by lynching the wrong wolf. The mayhem other roles could create will be more unexpected, I think. I'm just going to file this under "other people see things differently" rather than that there's something I'm missing.

I was going to advocate a vote spread so the tally would reveal Don Zaloog, but then I checked the last game and there were no vote tallies.

Valmark
    Last edited by Taffimai; 2021-12-23 at 05:43 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Right. Question. @Batcathat, why is the start of a game so stressful?
    Mostly that it happened today. First I had to spend most of the day hard at work so that I wouldn't have to do any work the next couple of days and then I had travel for the rest of the day. But now all that's done, so after I've gotten some much-needed sleep I should be more active.

23. - Top - End - #23

Book Wombat

Just making this official.

My reads are sporadic and my effort low.

- - - Updated - - -

Also Taff gets browny points for being posts that I read and nod to.

So I will not be voting there unless something drastically changes.
    Last edited by bladescape; 2021-12-23 at 08:37 PM.
    "Trust bladescape, Shadow of Doubt,"

My almighty and all knowing extended Signature lies HERE! Now includes awesome quotes!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems rereading the thread with a well-rested brain didn't give me the marvelous insights I was hoping for. I think I'll leave my vote where it is for now, something felt slightly off about Taff. It's super vague and probably wrong, but it's more than I have on anyone else.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Batcathat 1: Rogan
    Snowblaze 1: CaoimhinTheCape
    Valmark 1: Taffimai
    bladescape 1: Book Wombat
    Book Wombat 1: bladescape
    Taffimai 2: Batcathat, Snowblaze

(Assuming the non-crossed-out votes from before official start count.)

I was going to start a wagon, but it turns out I'm already on the only one we have. Since I'm also lacking marvellous insights, I'll stay where I am until I get some.

Extended Signature

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

FOS on SupaGoof for me always (including as I type this (I'm too lazy to check)) forgetting if it's SupaGoof or sugapoof and then trying to butter me up with comments that I'm choosing to interpret as blatant compliments

Batcathat because I'm curious to know if votes prior to the main phase starting count. Bat has posted twice since the start but not voted since the start. Also had at least one vote before the start but none after. So in a sense of evidence (yet), I lean into experimentation

- - - Updated - - -

Ah I see... Snow blaze chose to count as if all votes so far count. Innocent assumption or wolf plot to deprive some of us of votes by helping us think those votes counted? Idk but I've missed this and have had too much chocolate... So paranoia unfold!
    Last edited by gac3; 2021-12-23 at 05:30 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Yay, something's happening!

I... don't really get how voting for BCH will help you test whether all votes count. Having said that, there's a much easier test: @Xihirli do votes cast before the official start of the game count?

And it's definitely an innocent assumption. (What do you mean, "I don't believe you"?)

Extended Signature

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay, something's happening!

I... don't really get how voting for BCH will help you test whether all votes count. Having said that, there's a much easier test: @Xihirli do votes cast before the official start of the game count?

And it's definitely an innocent assumption. (What do you mean, "I don't believe you"?)
    It won't. But also making a big enough stink about it could help people be motivated to recast their votes and get around your potentially evil (or totally innocent) plan!

- - - Updated - - -

I'll revisit my vote once I've read all comments. You know I'm not quick to want to genuinely accuse people day one.

29. - Top - End - #29

Allright, game on.

Not that my opinion has changed.

AvatarVecna - While this would be smart - AV has massive brownie points for narration in last game. Get's a pass until they sus...
    BatCatHat - Usually a good choice, but I've target BCH for first points before. And I was right, but what are the odds that happens again.
    Bladescape - "Escape" is literally in his name. Lol - too entertaining
    Gac3 - The clue master. Figuring out what Gac hides is always fun, no sense in throwing that out the door.
    BookWombat - Bookie always bring some sunshine into games that have gotten too serious. Best to keep him around.
    Rogan - Lawful Rogan - guys a paladin. More then once though, he's stood up for me on my extended weekends away from the forum.
    Saint-Just - Only played with SJ once, last game. Perhaps give him the joy of being a senseless bandwagon day 1?
    Snowblaze - Snow. If she's a wolf, they'll likely kill her before town does. Bus-master extraordinaire that she is.
    Taffimal - Good player, have done 2 games with Taffi. Her analysis each time enabled a win for my team. Starting to think she's a good luck charm.

Not so random point at Saint-Just.. See logic above. And also cause I'm too lazy to rewrite any new logic.
    Last edited by Supagoof; 2021-12-23 at 03:52 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Legionary of Protection
    The Legion, endures....
    Summary:

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by gac3 View Post
    Batcathat because I'm curious to know if votes prior to the main phase starting count. Bat has posted twice since the start but not voted since the start. Also had at least one vote before the start but none after. So in a sense of evidence (yet), I lean into experimentation
    I assumed the preemptive votes would count, but I suppose you might be right. So let's make my Taffimai vote really official.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it just me or does gac's arguments for voting me read a little weird? It's hard to be unbiased since it's about me, so I won't change my own vote, but I'd love to hear what other people think about it.
    Last edited by Batcathat; 2021-12-23 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Vote begone!