New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dr. Strange 2 Trailer

It’s out on its own now so I guess it’s time for it to have a thread:

Link

Spoiler
    Show

Looks like some live action What If universe melting going on, also a live action return of the tentacle monster.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Dr. Strange 2 Trailer

I liked the first one, since I didn't need to know anything about any other movies to enjoy it.

I'm going to go ahead and assume that this is not the case for this one.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I think you'll be better off than you think. When the theme and title is about the multiverse, having a regular Dr Strang and what looks like an evil Dr Strange tells its own story. If that specific evil Dr Strange, hypothetically, had a backstory laid out in a What If episode, it would be bonus material but not essential to the movie itself.

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I think you'll be better off than you think. When the theme and title is about the multiverse, having a regular Dr Strang and what looks like an evil Dr Strange tells its own story. If that specific evil Dr Strange, hypothetically, had a backstory laid out in a What If episode, it would be bonus material but not essential to the movie itself.
    That sounds like a pleasant surprise. I may check it out.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

But yeah, I dont expect not going so to hurt your enjoyment of DS2. Marvel is pretty decent about keeping separate lines mostly contained - you don't need to see everything to follow the core of one, it just adds more flavor. So going into DS2 without seeing DS1 would be ill advised, but anything crucial to DS2 that might have been in, say, Spiderman 3 will almost certainly get a recap at the start.

Beyond that, little things like knowing Westview is the setting of the Wandavision series are, at most, easter egg references to reward the all-watchers.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Like, at this point you just gotta accept Marvel Cinematic Universe has succesfully adapted comic book madness where even the most straightforward stories are littered with bizarre details explained only by little footnotes reading "see issue #X of Amazing this and issue #Y of Incredible that", with plot threads that go nowhere or are resolved in an issue movie, you never planned to read see. Wait a few years more and then you have to also deal with having to hunt down the one issue movie that is absolutely vital to understanding what's going on in newer movies, but which faded into obscurity due to being panned by the public.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Spamalot in the Playground

The big difference is that, unlike the comics, the MCU weaponizes the movie-going blogosphere to a degree that dozens if not hundreds of youtubers and journalists across the globe are able to make a living by merely reminding the public of these kinds of callbacks and hanging chads. Not to mention if you do feel the need to catch up with everything, Disney+ is a click away.

There is certainly potential for the entire house of cards to collapse in on itself like a neutron star - but hey, hasn't happened yet.

RE: The trailer, my thoughts can be summed up thusly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    AMERICA CHAVEZ REEEEEEEEEE
    BARON MORDO REEEEEEEE
    SHUMA-GORATH REEEEEEEE
    STRANGE SUPREME REEEEEEE
    WANDA REEEEEEEE
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    But yeah, I dont expect not going so to hurt your enjoyment of DS2. Marvel is pretty decent about keeping separate lines mostly contained - you don't need to see everything to follow the core of one, it just adds more flavor. So going into DS2 without seeing DS1 would be ill advised, but anything crucial to DS2 that might have been in, say, Spiderman 3 will almost certainly get a recap at the start.

Beyond that, little things like knowing Westview is the setting of the Wandavision series are, at most, easter egg references to reward the all-watchers.
    Imean Wandavision looked fairly interesting but I coudlnt get too far into that because it assumed I'd watched everything else and relied pretty dang hard on that.

9. - Top - End - #9

Anecdotal, but I know several people who got into WV without watching any of the MCU prior. And from Strange's dismissive "I'm not here to talk about Westview" in the trailer, I'm guessing we won't need to have watched that for MOM to make sense either.

All you really need to know is that Wanda is a powerful spellcaster, on par with Strange if not stronger - and that she doesn't use the same magic Strange does, which is likely why he ends up needing her help. (Or at the very least, needs the grimoire artifact that happens to be in her possession.)

And judging by the blink-and-you'll-miss-it shot in the trailer where Strange is throwing red balls around,
    Spoiler
    Show
    he might know a thing or two about Chaos Magic himself, or at the very least learn some in this movie.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

I doubt you really need to watch Wandavision. Just know that Wanda is now much more powerful than she was before "for reasons" and you're good to go I would bet. Especially if you're the type of fan that doesn't mind not catching every little reference, which seems to be the case.

I would say that required viewing is probably just the previous Dr Strange and maybe the new Spider-man. Maybe not even those if you're at least somewhat aware of the events that took place in them.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    RE: The trailer, my thoughts can be summed up thusly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    AMERICA CHAVEZ REEEEEEEEEE
    Spoiler
    Show
    America Chavez was in that trailer? Where? Even upon a re-watch, I legitimately don't see her.

(Also, do we really need to use spoilers for a trailer?)
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

12. - Top - End - #12

Anecdotal, but I know several people who got into WV without watching any of the MCU prior.
    When "the snap" is mentioned every twenty minutes along with the repurcussions of it, people show up who are clearly established characters that are supposed to be recognized and have their abilities known already (eg Asian-American FBI Man), deep history with the main characters brother who is apparently not her brother because something happened to her brother and it seems to be important but they never really go into it, the neighbor being some sort of other wizard in addition to Wanda being a wizard and the robot man being a robot wizard but the neighbor wizard is more powerful for some reason even though everyone's Wizarding isn't really established other than "they can do X because we just showed them doing X", and so on and so on.... Yeah, I got little more than through because as far as I could tell they did not want people who weren't well versed in the MCU to get any enjoyment out if it.

How your friends did i do not know, but hey, more power to em.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    (eg Asian-American FBI Man)
    Eh, he's just a law enforcement guy who's sympathetic to superheroes. It's a stock archetype, they didn't even need an established character for that; reusing someone we knew just made it more fun.

I mean, you could have established a complete unknown in this role simply by showing him with a bunch of Avengers action figures or something.

, deep history with the main characters brother who is apparently not her brother because something happened to her brother and it seems to be important but they never really go into it,
    The "out of town relative who shows up to inject chaos into the family dynamic" is a well-worn sitcom trope. Usually it happens in a later season of course, but in case it wasn't obvious from all the timeskips, WV is speedrunning these things.

the neighbor being some sort of other wizard in addition to Wanda being a wizard and the robot man being a robot wizard but the neighbor wizard is more powerful for some reason even though everyone's Wizarding isn't really established other than "they can do X because we just showed them doing X", and so on and so on.... Yeah, I got little more than through because as far as I could tell they did not want people who weren't well versed in the MCU to get any enjoyment out if it.
    Agnes wasn't in anything before this, so no amount of MCU background put anyone on better footing than you with regards to her.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    America Chavez
    was in that trailer? Where? Even upon a re-watch, I legitimately don't see her.
    1:22 standing behind Strange (beside Wanda) in the floating doorway. Also behind him at 1:38 when he's doing some kind of energy blast, and she appears to also be in the
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shuma-Gorath
    scene at 1:42 in her signature jacket.

More importantly however, one aspect of her powerset
    Spoiler
    Show
    being able to punch star-shaped holes between dimensions/realities
    is likely going to be really helpful in a multiverse-hopping story.

(Regarding spoilers - while I agree trailers are fair game, I try to cover up new/debuting characters in them who haven't been in prior movies, but it's not a hard rule or anything.)
    Last edited by Psyren; 2021-12-24 at 03:41 PM.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

14. - Top - End - #14

Eh, he's just a law enforcement guy who's sympathetic to superheroes. It's a stock archetype, they didn't even need an established character for that; reusing someone we knew just made it more fun.

I mean, you could have established a complete unknown in this role simply by showing him with a bunch of Avengers action figures or something.

The "out of town relative who shows up to inject chaos into the family dynamic" is a well-worn sitcom trope. Usually it happens in a later season of course, but in case it wasn't obvious from all the timeskips, WV is speedrunning these things.

Agnes wasn't in anything before this, so no amount of MCU background put anyone on better footing than you with regards to her.

EDIT:

1:22 standing behind Strange (beside Wanda) in the floating doorway. Also behind him at 1:38 when he's doing some kind of energy blast, and she appears to also be in the
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shuma-Gorath

Spoiler
    Show

(Regarding spoilers - while I agree trailers are fair game, I try to cover up new/debuting characters in them who haven't been in prior movies, but it's not a hard rule or anything.)
    Look man, all I can attest to is how I perceived everything. I saw a trailer, I liked the idea of going through a different decade staple sitcom style as the episodes went on, I wanted to enjoy it, those were a highlight of the reasons I gave up on it despite going into it wanting to enjoy it.

15. - Top - End - #15

Look man, all I can attest to is how I perceived everything. I saw a trailer, I liked the idea of going through a different decade staple sitcom style as the episodes went on, I wanted to enjoy it, those were a highlight of the reasons I gave up on it despite going into it wanting to enjoy it.
    I'm not saying you had to like it, that's obviously a matter of personal taste. All I'm saying is that the show wasn't written to appeal only to those who've watched MCU phases 1-3, that's a mistaken assumption.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

16. - Top - End - #16

I'm not saying you had to like it, that's obviously a matter of personal taste. All I'm saying is that the show wasn't written to appeal only to those who've watched MCU phases 1-3, that's a mistaken assumption.
    Again, not an assumption. That was the experience I got from watching it. Well, not phases 1-3, since I don't know (and have no inclination to learn) what that encompasses. But I definitely got the impression that it was not friendly to someone with as limited knolwdge as I had, which was exactly what culminated in my not finishing it.

Contrasted to Daredevil, which I absolutely loved and which I can attest did not require any additional MCU knowledge outside of the series.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-12-24 at 06:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Again, not an assumption. That was the experience I got from watching it. Well, not phases 1-3, since I don't know (and have no inclination to learn) what that encompasses. But I definitely got the impression that it was not friendly to someone with as limited knolwdge as I had, which was exactly what culminated in my not finishing it.

Contrasted to Daredevil, which I absolutely loved and which I can attest did not require any additional MCU knowledge outside of the series.
    I still don't think "it assumed I'd watched everything else" is factually accurate, but if that's how you felt I can't really argue with that, so I'll drop it.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

18. - Top - End - #18

Well this trailer looks interesting. Hopefully I don't have to remember too much of the past movies and shows cause my memory has been a bit short lately with TV stuff. ^^
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Shuma-Gorath

Spoiler
    Show

Huh, blink and you'll miss it type moments. I wouldn't have assumed that was her based just on what little we can see, but a little googling tells me that her presence in the film was already announced, so I guess it probably is. Which is very surprising to me - I'm only familiar with her from the Marvel Rising series, and aside from Miss Marvel I wouldn't have expected anyone in that to be making their way into the MCU anytime soon. But cool, I'll be interested to see what they do with her.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis