New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default For science and math enthusiasts: what websites do you recommend for AP high school?

So I am in 10th grade an my parents have pretty much pressured me to start taking AP tests starting on this month.
    I have studied for months for the ones this year: AP Microeconomics , AP Chinese and AP French.
    But I need to start thinking on the ones I will need to present next year: AP Physics, AP Calculus, AP Statistics... because those are the true difficult ones and I HAVE to get a good result (seriously, my parents don't take "mediocre" work).

So far I am working with this online economics tutor which I am enjoying really well, and the same company offer courses for all of the exams I will be taking next year. But besides this economics tutor near me, I would like to know if there are other things (like websites) which people are studying for these tests? Are there any websites you would recommend to check out?

I have always had test anxiety and I am not the best in physics, math I can do, but physics OH MAN...

So any site I can start working on already right after I finish the ap's for this year, will be really appreciated.

- Cody

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: For science and math enthusiasts: what websites do you recommend for AP high scho

Quote Originally Posted by codybene View Post
    So I am in 10th grade an my parents have pretty much pressured me to start taking AP tests starting on this month.
    I have studied for months for the ones this year: AP Microeconomics , AP Chinese and AP French.
    But I need to start thinking on the ones I will need to present next year: AP Physics, AP Calculus, AP Statistics... because those are the true difficult ones and I HAVE to get a good result (seriously, my parents don't take "mediocre" work).

So far I am working with this online economics tutor which I am enjoying really well, and the same company offer courses for all of the exams I will be taking next year. But besides this economics tutor near me, I would like to know if there are other things (like websites) which people are studying for these tests? Are there any websites you would recommend to check out?

I have always had test anxiety and I am not the best in physics, math I can do, but physics OH MAN...

So any site I can start working on already right after I finish the ap's for this year, will be really appreciated.

- Cody
    I have really good experience with Kaplan. Their books are a bit pricey but very good for teaching to a specific test.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: For science and math enthusiasts: what websites do you recommend for AP high scho

Khan Academy is said to be a very good overall platform for learning and I do see there AP-oriented courses in physics and mathematics. I also found this website which has at least free-response questions from the previous years and a lot of other useful materials.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

I will second Khan Academy. My wife was taking a college calculus course, and Khan Academy was much more helpful than the professor.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2022-03-14 at 08:42 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Another vote for Khan Academy.

If one follows the stickied rules, then physicsforums.com is wonderful for homework problem help on just about any science or math topic. Their rules and moderators capital-R *Really* demand that people show the work and understanding they've already done/developed on a problem. However, that satisfied, there's not much better in the way of communities to get help with thorny homework problems, especially the finer details thereof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Do you have AP classes that you're going to take through your school? I teach HS math, and I think of AP exams as something students take as a result of an aligned, official AP course that they've taken that year. I know if we want to offer an AP course I have to go to summer training for that course and it's a Whole Thing.

I know students theoretically can take AP exams without taking the courses (and I wish I'd known that as a student myself, since with some warning about that I'm sure I could have studied enough to pass a few in my areas of strength even though my school didn't offer any AP or IB courses), but I don't know anyone who has actually done that. Are your parents just expecting you to study for these exams all on your own with no courses?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Khan Academy is said to be a very good overall platform for learning and I do see there AP-oriented courses in physics and mathematics. I also found this website which has at least free-response questions from the previous years and a lot of other useful materials.
    Oh!, never I had heard of colleboard, looks like a fine online tool.

Thanks for the suggestion!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I will second Khan Academy. My wife was taking a college calculus course, and Khan Academy was much more helpful than the professor.
    Yeah, Khan, and it has tons of free content.

Thanks!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Algeh View Post
    Do you have AP classes that you're going to take through your school? I teach HS math, and I think of AP exams as something students take as a result of an aligned, official AP course that they've taken that year. I know if we want to offer an AP course I have to go to summer training for that course and it's a Whole Thing.

I know students theoretically can take AP exams without taking the courses (and I wish I'd known that as a student myself, since with some warning about that I'm sure I could have studied enough to pass a few in my areas of strength even though my school didn't offer any AP or IB courses), but I don't know anyone who has actually done that. Are your parents just expecting you to study for these exams all on your own with no courses?
    Yeah, you can take an AP exam and skip taking the course, it's becoming a common practice mainly because the cost of taking the exam is much much less than taking its equivalent course in college (around $90) and because that way you get a head start in college. Definitely in your strength classes you should attempt it and maybe avoid your weaknesses. Well, they are willing to support me with what I need, tutoring for example but I'm hoping to skip the AP courses.