New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Matrix Resurrections Review Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    Now wait. What we know about Skynet is that it loses to the humans in what seems to be conventional warfare, after only a couple decades. The Machines are completely dominant on their Earth, the only "war" still ongoing is a fabricated one with a tiny and controllable population of humans.
    The Machines have also conditioned those humans so they do not go around bombing the plants and fields, but instead go through the difficult process of hacking into the Matrix and giving each person the choice to become a red pill or remain a blue pill.

The Machines are not prepared for an enemy who doesn't need or care about the pod people.

Now, after defeating 01, Skynet may well lose to Zion, Io or whatever form the human resistance takes.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramza00 View Post
    Someone should do a franchise, not the Terminators, where there is a twist where they sent back two machines in time and they did not know about each other.

The one further back in time “fails” in its mission and then realised the time travel rules do not require you to set up the previous events, that the machine itself is its own being, it exists despite its origin, and thus it can choose whatever Destiny it wants. Since it has an immortal like body there is no need to dominate or fight the humans, the machine can remain hidden and live in peace. There is no need for genocide, we can learn from the past and not repeat the sins of others.

This movie is written as a horror movie, and we learn the twist when machine 2 is about to win, but machine 1 comes out of nowhere and stops the plan. Machine 1 only learning about Machine 2 for it is making such a mess and it hit the news waves.
    Wasn’t that more or less the plot of the last of Dark Fate?
    Looking for feedback on Heart of Darkness, a character driven RPG of Gothic fantasy.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Talakeal View Post
    Wasn’t that more or less the plot of the last of Dark Fate?
    I do not know? I have only seen (counts) 4 of the 6 Terminator movies, missing the Bale's Terminator Salvation one and the one you just mentioned Dark Fate.

Also the TV show, what's its name again?
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

4. - Top - End - #154

I do not know? I have only seen (counts) 4 of the 6 Terminator movies, missing the Bale's Terminator Salvation one and the one you just mentioned Dark Fate.
    I haven't seen Dark Fate either. I think I saw Gynysisysysyis but I don't remember much from it.
    Also the TV show, what's its name again?
    The Sarah Connor Chronicles. I found it entertaining, and it had some bright points. And while I really like Lena Headey, I found her Sarah Connor a little too nice for me. By T2, Sarah sees John more as a mcguffin than a son. She has a duty and a responsibility, and that's to make sure he fulfills his destiny and saves mankind. Of course she still loves him, but that love isn't really demonstrated. After he rescues her, Sarah beckons him over and John thinks they are about to hug, after not having seen each other since she was admitted to a mental institution. Instead, Sarah checks him for any wounds. Then she berates him for being stupid enough for risking his life trying to save her, and drives him to tears. Later she muses that the Terminator would be the only father figure that could measure up for John because it would always be there relentlessly trying to protect him, again showing how focused Sarah's mind is on protecting John, that a machine incapable of loving him would be the ideal father because it is nearly indestructible and singularly focused to protect him. Sarah, with her cold and focused method of rearing her son, is trying to be a machine, something indestructible with no weaknesses to exploit.

I think the revelation of her destiny and John's destiny transforming Sarah from a naive and clumsy young woman into a fearless and determined warrior that is operating at "mama grizzly" mode at all times is really interesting, and I think that Sarah in Chronicles was a little too sympathetic to John's plight.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

I have only seen (counts) 4 of the 6 Terminator movies, missing the Bale's Terminator Salvation one and the one you just mentioned Dark Fate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    I haven't seen Dark Fate either. I think I saw Gynysisysysyis but I don't remember much from it.
    I have seen the first 4, but not Genisys or Dark Fate. I have, however, read about them on TvTropes.

6. - Top - End - #156

I just had a thought. In The Matrix they talk about dying in the matrix causing you to die in real life because "the mind makes it real", but if that's the case couldn't they cancel that out by taking a drug like that creates a sense of invincibility (such as phencyclidine, for example)
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2022-01-12 at 06:53 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    I just had a thought. In The Matrix they talk about dying in the matrix causing you to die in real life because "the mind makes it real", but if that's the case couldn't they cancel that out by taking a drug like that creates a sense of invincibility (such as phencyclidine, for example)
    It does seem strange, that the rebels can create avatars for the Matrix that allow them to "cheat" the Matrix physics, run up walls, leap dozens of feet and avoid being hurt by falls, smashing through windows, etc., but not to ignore damage from bullets and other direct attacks. Maybe the "kill" code programmed into bullets is something they just couldn't manage to hack.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

It's pretty well established in the first movie that only the One knows the Matrix well enough to cheat to that extent.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Spamalot in the Playground

Even assuming humanity has the facilities to synthesize complex pharmaceuticals still, we have no idea what effect altering your IRL brain chemistry to such a degree will have on your Matrix connection, as we haven't really seen that approach applied. The only time we saw a matrix person medicated IIRC was Morpheus injecting Trinity with morphine while Neo was removing the "bullet" from her "body."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #160

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
    It's pretty well established in the first movie that only the One knows the Matrix well enough to cheat to that extent.
    It's not a thing the matrix does per se however. Morpheus says that the mind makes it real, meaning that you just have to change the mind, not the matrix. If they're going to have this ridiculous premise they should at least stick to it consistently

Quote Originally Posted by Thrudd View Post
    So you're saying the next film should be about a terminator sent back to assassinate James Cameron, who will be saved by actual 1980s Arnold, who turns out to have really been another terminator sent back by 2020's Arnold to make sure the franchise survives to make him rich and famous? Meaning that the first 2 terminator films are actually based on Cameron's real-life experiences.
    I'd like to see a movie where a Terminator fan sends an android back in time to stop James Cameron from becoming pretentious and making movies like Titanic and Avatar
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2022-01-13 at 02:59 PM.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

11. - Top - End - #161

It's not a thing the matrix does per se however. Morpheus says that the mind makes it real, meaning that you just have to change the mind, not the matrix. If they're going to have this ridiculous premise they should at least stick to it consistently
    And we do see that the rebels do get better. At least Morpheus goes from getting curb-stomped by Agent Smith to handling himself much more evenly against the Agent on the tractor trailer in Matrix Reloaded. I like to think that the presence of Neo and his feats allows for the others to "expand their mind" and be more capable within the matrix. Perhaps, given time, they too will be able to dodge bullets and fly.

Except it's all controlled opposition so... who knows?

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

The mind is not one thing, but many. The brain stem is different than the frontal lobe, which is different than the visual system which just process information. Which is different than the 50+ other brain areas for Korbinian Brodmann found at least 50+ different types of human brain tissue over 100 years ago when he did lots of directions of sheep brains and then compared it to human brains.

———

Morpheus comment with the mind makes it real is mythical not explanatory of the precise mechanisms of action. To know if a drug can bypass the precise mechanism of action requires a different type of story, one you want to be told, but the storytellers have different opinions on the matter.

Put another way a reparative read vs a paranoid read of the movie text. (Literary Critic Eve Josofsky Sedgwick in Touching Feeling if you want to know more, Chapter 4 Paranoid Reading and Reparative Reading, or, You’re So Paranoid, You Probably Think This Essay Is About You)

13. - Top - End - #163

I think it is supposed to be literal though.

Before Neo is the one, we see him coughing up blood in the real world when Smith is landing a barrage of punches on him.

Later, when he shoots Neo, Neo's heart stops in the real world.

Neo becoming the One coincides with his real world body returning from the dead.

I don't think it's mythical. I think the whole point is that your perception allows you to break free of the constraints of the Matrix. That's in the mind.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ettin in the Playground

I think it is supposed to be literal though.

Before Neo is the one, we see him coughing up blood in the real world when Smith is landing a barrage of punches on him.

Later, when he shoots Neo, Neo's heart stops in the real world.

Neo becoming the One coincides with his real world body returning from the dead.

I don't think it's mythical. I think the whole point is that your perception allows you to break free of the constraints of the Matrix. That's in the mind.
    Even when I use drugs to prevent the body from feeling pain (there is a whole circuit, with one of the key parts is an attentional switch called the dorsal anterior mid cingulate cortex, it is involved with the placebo effect and the nocebeo effect, but also attentional switching and motivation) …

Even when I use drugs to de-synchronize brain areas so you can not feel pain, other feedback and feedforward mechanisms are still happening like an increase of heart rate, hormones being released, and so on. The body is really complicated, so you are 100% correct and that is the intent, while simultaneously we do not know the limits and mechanisms of how it works. Neo as the One still has some humanity he has not transcended. He can still bleed 🩸.

The tension between these two, the psychodynamic energies is done on purpose to keep us the reader / viewer of the text invested in Neo. We should do the reparative read and not look for inconsistencies, and when we find an inconsistency assume it is simple, when in reality it is likely complex and messy just like our own real life.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

With regard to drugs, the freed humans may simply not have a selection of them. By all appearances, they are living with very little, and there is extremely little plant life to harvest. To the point that people are basically just eating gruel to survive.

16. - Top - End - #166

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    With regard to drugs, the freed humans may simply not have a selection of them. By all appearances, they are living with very little, and there is extremely little plant life to harvest. To the point that people are basically just eating gruel to survive.
    #CypherDidNothingWrong

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

It's not a thing the matrix does per se however. Morpheus says that the mind makes it real, meaning that you just have to change the mind, not the matrix. If they're going to have this ridiculous premise they should at least stick to it consistently.
    When a person is plugged into the Matrix, the Matrix demonstrably overrides all their neural functions as part of two-way feedback system. It makes you see what it wants you to see, hear what it wants you to hear, feel what it wants you to feel, so on and so forth, to near complete exclusion of the physical world. Their mind is trapped there.

This necessarily entails it can interfere with whatever drug you'd give to a person. Whatever psychoactive drug you'd give to a person, it's still effecting the same nerves the Matrix is feeding code into. The idea that any known drug would have more dramatic effect than the Matrix or the training programs humans are shown to be using is what's ridiculous. The Matrix itself likely is capable of causing any effect of such drugs.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

#CypherDidNothingWrong
    Cypher wanting to be plugged back in was not wrong. Nor was disavowing his previous red pill choice and choosing the blue pill.

It was the betrayal of his comrades, the price the devil wanted in this Faustian Baragan that made Cypher into “Mr. Reagan” again. He can be a movie star if he broke the Union of his friends and had them murdered.

—————

Ironically the 3 Agents of the first Matrix movie had no authority and thus mechanical power to reinsert Cypher back into the Matrix. They are / were like cops who were doing off the books illegal missions in the pursuit of what they saw as a higher calling. They did not understand the Matrix, and the systems of control, that the Architect and likely many of the higher up machines and programs did not want Zion to be destroyed until the stabilizing force of The One was obtained. These “unplugged” agents in a liminal state of being unplugged (the ringleader Smith being the most unplugged not doing it fully until after movie 1) are just as much of a destabilizing force that threaten the entire matrix as humans who rejected the Matrix but remained plugged in. These dysphoric humans who need to be unplugged will make choices that cause other humans to question the matrix and it is like a fragmentation virus that will destabilize the entire system.

This is why you got to run the humans in parallel you silly engineers. Multiple Matrixes were one does not infect the next location.

—————

Put another way Cypher / Mr. Reagan is much like an alter-ego different person but shares the same purpose as Chad Stahelski in Matrix 4. Cypher thought he could hack reality with all his pickup techniques he tried on Trinity and she kept on rejecting / was not interested in. This sets up the Mobius Strip confrontation with Neo / Trinity / Cypher where Mr. Reagan forced Neo to become the One and for Trinity to choose Neo, unlocking his full potential. Cypher who is so close to Trinity yet so far, yearning. Yet if Cypher was put into the Matrix again as Trinity’s husband and adopted the names Chad (like the pickup community) and Tiffany (like the jewelry company associated with marriage) then Trinity / Tiffany would still be miserable. The secret to the Matrix not destabilizing is the Loathly Lady myth / Celtic Sovereignty and Tradition / Wife of Bath tale.

19. - Top - End - #169

Cypher wanting to be plugged back in was not wrong. Nor was disavowing his previous red pill choice and choosing the blue pill.

It was the betrayal of his comrades, the price the devil wanted in this Faustian Baragan that made Cypher into “Mr. Reagan” again. He can be a movie star if he broke the Union of his friends and had them murdered.
    All this time I thought it was his flavor saver...

20. - Top - End - #170
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I was pretty meh on it too.

I think having the machine overlord look directly into the camera and tell the audience
    Spoiler
    Show
    that they're making another one because Warner Brothers is forcing them to
    sums up this one perfectly. (No, I'm not even kidding.)

I did like that
    Spoiler: ending
    Show
    The One is now The Two thanks to Trinity getting some agency
    and I really really loved Yahya Abdul Mateen as Morpheus. That's about it, the rest was okay at best and had glaring structural problems at worst. In case you're wondering
    Spoiler: fundamental premise problems
    Show
    no, they haven't fixed the humans are batteries thing, like at all. If anything they made it worse.

Lastly, NPH as the Analyst:
    Spoiler
    Show
    started out really great, but then got... sexist at the end? Isn't he a machine? At least Smith hated all humans equally, which makes a ton more sense

Just having him yell out sexist epithets so Trinity can kick his face in repeatedly and the audience can yell "yass kween!" felt so forced.
    "that they're making another one because Warner Brothers is forcing them to" lmao that is a good summary.... and I think that is why we all knew this movie was gonna be "meh".... don't get me wrong, growing up with Matrix I will always be down to watch any Matrix movie but we all know it's not gonna be the same as before.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Pixie in the Playground

I thought the Matrix resurrection scene was pretty cool. It was a nice nod to the fans and I liked how they tied everything together. The action was great and I thought Neo was badass in that scene.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Ehhh...it's okay?

Spoiler
    Show
    The first 20 minutes are just a cry for help from the director. "Help! Warner is making me do this! I'm sorry, it's not my fault!"

Action is significantly weaker than the previous three, and the swarms are much less effective than the old agents were. All the pointless random murder of passersby that could easily be just fled from is kind of offputting.

It's very sad how little the human-machine peace was worth. Zion is prettier and has a new name, that's it. Given the architect was perfectly fine with a rebuilt Zion, it's part of the plan, not a divergence from it, what was really gained?

Too many repeated beats, which I suppose was kind of the point? The Analyst has absolute power in the world he wrote, how can they keep escaping him?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

I think there is no need to spoiler things anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    The first 20 minutes are just a cry for help from the director. "Help! Warner is making me do this! I'm sorry, it's not my fault!"
    That, and also whining about how "The fans got my movies all wrong".

Action is significantly weaker than the previous three, and the swarms are much less effective than the old agents were.
    Also true.

All the pointless random murder of passersby that could easily be just fled from is kind of offputting.
    Again, my understanding is that the bots are not human, and may not qualify as "synthient" either. Instead, they are the Matrix simulating a perfect Matrix-compliant mob and trapping actual humans in relationships with it.

But, again again, the concept wasn't sold well, and swarm mode sucks against the likes of Bugs, let alone Neo.

It's very sad how little the human-machine peace was worth. Zion is prettier and has a new name, that's it. Given the architect was perfectly fine with a rebuilt Zion, it's part of the plan, not a divergence from it, what was really gained?
    Two things:
    • Humans and AIs living together, without humans being slaves to AIs (like in the Matrix) or AIs being slaves to humans (like in the pre-Second-Renaissance world).
    • The history of the city not being reset to "The One freed the elders, who now await his return" but finally entering a new chapter.

That's something I feel the movie did well enough, although it would have been better if the old Zion still existed and Io was presented as being as much at odds with Zion as it is with 01.

Too many repeated beats, which I suppose was kind of the point? The Analyst has absolute power in the world he wrote, how can they keep escaping him?
    As usual, by hacking that world. But I agree that the Analyst was a disappointing antagonist.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Millstone85 View Post
    Two things:
    • Humans and AIs living together, without humans being slaves to AIs (like in the Matrix) or AIs being slaves to humans (like in the pre-Second-Renaissance world).
    • The history of the city not being reset to "The One freed the elders, who now await his return" but finally entering a new chapter.

That's something I feel the movie did well enough, although it would have been better if the old Zion still existed and Io was presented as being as much at odds with Zion as it is with 01.
    I don't think Antagonistic Zion would have worked on multiple levels and would have cluttered up an already overstuffed movie. Zion being lost and Io being a true genuine fresh start works much better narratively. Honestly it's one of the few things in the movie that really works at all.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Banned

Daemon

I was expecting more from the new movie. I thought, under the impression of the first film, that the new film would be just as good. I was wrong...

26. - Top - End - #176

I thought Io was a decent idea, but I still don't see why they needed 60 years to build it when they have who knows how many robots on their team now.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

27. - Top - End - #177

I thought Io was a decent idea, but I still don't see why they needed 60 years to build it when they have who knows how many robots on their team now.
    You didn't want to see Jada Pinkett Smith in old people make-up???

28. - Top - End - #178

You didn't want to see Jada Pinkett Smith in old people make-up???
    I'm afraid to answer this in case Will Smith shows up at my house.
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy

29. - Top - End - #179

I'm afraid to answer this in case Will Smith shows up at my house.
    LMAO I should have seen this coming

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

So for the swarms to work like that, that means like 1 in 3 matrix people is a bot? That seems...inefficient.
    They went to a completely random train car in Tokyo, and it happened to be full of bots already?

There already were AIs working with Zion like the Oracle. IO is still in hiding from 01, and they believe they are independent, but so did Zion. The change is not nothing... but it's also not much.

How did they get away from the Analyst the first time in Trinity's bike shed. He can freeze time, no need or incentive to let them go.