New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1

Default MCU Payback Symbiote

Will Payback be in the MCU?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Spamalot in the Playground

Default Re: MCU Payback Symbiote

Technically none of the symbiotes are in the MCU yet (Sony owns the rights to them all as they are Spiderman characters), though after
    Spoiler
    Show
    the events of the No Way Home post-credits scene, some version of Venom may have found his way there, which leaves them an avenue for the others.

This is further complicated by Payback not being a normal symbiote (assuming we're thinking of the same entity) so they'd have to set all that up too.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

It is highly unlikely that such an obscure character would make it into the MCU unless the MCU one day grows to be as large as th emain universe.

Especially since the current understanding of what Symbiotes are makes Payback's continued existence questionable: If they ever turn up again they'll either be retconned into something else or most of their appearance would be exposition of how an offshoot of symbiotes went from being elderspawn made of corporeal darkness to living EM waves.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It is highly unlikely that such an obscure character would make it into the MCU unless the MCU one day grows to be as large as th emain universe.

Especially since the current understanding of what Symbiotes are makes Payback's continued existence questionable: If they ever turn up again they'll either be retconned into something else or most of their appearance would be exposition of how an offshoot of symbiotes went from being elderspawn made of corporeal darkness to living EM waves.
    Or maybe theyll just say "theyre from space" and leave it at that? IIRC the Chitauri were some alternate-reality equivalent to the Skrull who ended up with a vastly different culture and history (and biology? i think?) because of reasons, but in the Avengers, all we got was "theyre a space army and they work for Thanos."
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Or maybe theyll just say "theyre from space" and leave it at that? IIRC the Chitauri were some alternate-reality equivalent to the Skrull who ended up with a vastly different culture and history (and biology? i think?) because of reasons, but in the Avengers, all we got was "theyre a space army and they work for Thanos."
    Okay, so I don't think I was clear.

Payback is unlikely to appear in the MCU unless they return in the comics due to how obscure they are.

They are highly unlikely to return in the comics for the reasons I stated

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Okay, so I don't think I was clear.

Payback is unlikely to appear in the MCU unless they return in the comics due to how obscure they are.

They are highly unlikely to return in the comics for the reasons I stated
    Eh, the MCU has lots of obscure characters and easter eggs. I wouldnt put anything past them at this point.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

7. - Top - End - #7

Eh, the MCU has lots of obscure characters and easter eggs. I wouldnt put anything past them at this point.
    Yeah, but there's a difference between minor characters that the public doesn't know abou t but that ae relatively important in the comics and someone who appeared in one mini-series during a rather bad time for the comics.

We'll see Payback around the time we see Xraven or Unsterblich as villains in a movie.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

So in Phase 30, eighty years from now, Payback will fight Xraven and Unsterblich?

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    So in Phase 30, eighty years from now, Payback will fight Xraven and Unsterblich?
    Assuming that there's not an entire new generation of obscure characters to draw from by then. It'd be kind of like if they did a Movie about the Whizzer today.

It would be a bit of a lopsided matchup, however. Xraven has the combined powers of the original five X-Men enhanced by the same chemicals, herbs, and magic potions as Kraven the Hunter while Unsterblich is a human/Aseir/Ice Giant/Elder God/Protomutant/Olympian/Unknown Superhuman Hybrid enhanced with super-soldier serum.

Payback isn't exactly depicted as being particularly powerful by Symbiote standards

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Nah, the Whizzer will be in Phase 25 when he teams up with Codpiece.

But really, before Phase 1 ever started, Thor and Iron Man were C-list material in their own right. Not as obscure as some of the truly one-note side characters, but hardly the moneymaking juggernauts they became. Basically, it's proof that Marvel can and will dive deep into their catalog in search of material to adapt.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Nah, the Whizzer will be in Phase 25 when he teams up with Codpiece.

But really, before Phase 1 ever started, Thor and Iron Man were C-list material in their own right. Not as obscure as some of the truly one-note side characters, but hardly the moneymaking juggernauts they became. Basically, it's proof that Marvel can and will dive deep into their catalog in search of material to adapt.
    I mean, they were c-listers but they were c-listers that were known to the mainstream public.

As opposed to someone like Payback who... Gonna be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Playrounders didn't know Payback existed until this thread got posted.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I mean, they were c-listers but they were c-listers that were known to the mainstream public.

As opposed to someone like Payback who... Gonna be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of Playrounders didn't know Payback existed until this thread got posted.
    Sure, but I didn't know about anyone besides spider-man or captain America before their movies. Well, and the hulk I guess.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Sure, but I didn't know about anyone besides spider-man or captain America before their movies. Well, and the hulk I guess.
    it's important to note that Spider-Man is definitely an exception for Marvel, since he had extensive exposure outside the comic books. He did 3 seasons on The Electric Company from 1974 - 1977, and had a newspaper comic strip from 1977 - 2019 (42 years). THere was also a live-action tv series/movies in Europe in the 70s. So even people who didn't follow comic books had access to him in other media.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

14. - Top - End - #14
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    it's important to note that Spider-Man is definitely an exception for Marvel, since he had extensive exposure outside the comic books. He did 3 seasons on The Electric Company from 1974 - 1977, and had a newspaper comic strip from 1977 - 2019 (42 years). THere was also a live-action tv series/movies in Europe in the 70s. So even people who didn't follow comic books had access to him in other media.
    He's huge internationally too, Japan / India / LATAM etc
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

15. - Top - End - #15

Until the MCU started, the only superheroes I had ever heard of (living in a country where American comics were still rare and kinda annoying to get) were Batman, Superman and Spiderman.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

I've never even heard of the guy, and I'd consider myself more knowledgeable about comics than the average person, since I actually...read comics on occasion and watch videos about them regularly.

This thread is kinda like me asking when El Aguila is going to show up in the MCU. I'm not even sure he's as obscure as Payback.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2022-01-06 at 03:40 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I always feel like people WAY overestimate how well superheroes are known outside the fandom. As a huge nerd who didn’t read comics, I knew Iron Man existed and that’s all. Thor was a mythological figure, and I’d never heard of Hawkeye or Black Widow. Before the MCU, the public knowledge will have been way lower than that.

People who are in the mainstream will not have known any outside of Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man, and maybe Wonder Woman and The Hulk.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I always feel like people WAY overestimate how well superheroes are known outside the fandom. As a huge nerd who didn’t read comics, I knew Iron Man existed and that’s all. Thor was a mythological figure, and I’d never heard of Hawkeye or Black Widow. Before the MCU, the public knowledge will have been way lower than that.

People who are in the mainstream will not have known any outside of Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man, and maybe Wonder Woman and The Hulk.
    I feel like there are levels of the mainstream. Most people at least vaguely into "nerd culture" have probably heard of all the characters who got cartoons in the 90's/00's.

So on DC's end, the Justice League. On Marvel's end, Spider-Man, the X-Men, and Hulk. Even from the X-Men I'd only expect people to be able to recognize the "core team" on sight (Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Professor X, and maaaybe Jean Grey). The Marvel ones are all characters my mom knows, and she's never even picked up a comic book. She just really liked the X-Men cartoon and Spider-Man in general.

Those are the only comic book characters I would expect the average person to know.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    I feel like there are levels of the mainstream. Most people at least vaguely into "nerd culture" have probably heard of all the characters who got cartoons in the 90's/00's.

So on DC's end, the Justice League. On Marvel's end, Spider-Man, the X-Men, and Hulk. Even from the X-Men I'd only expect people to be able to recognize the "core team" on sight (Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Professor X, and maaaybe Jean Grey). The Marvel ones are all characters my mom knows, and she's never even picked up a comic book. She just really liked the X-Men cartoon and Spider-Man in general.

Those are the only comic book characters I would expect the average person to know.
    In America, probably. But as far as I know, those cartoons only started to run over here after the MCU became a thing. Superhero shows here, in the 90s were (as far as I know) Lois & Clark and Batman the Animated Series. I'm not even sure where I knew Spiderman from, but probably just from merchandise? I don't remember ever seeing a Spider Man cartoon or comic as a kid.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

20. - Top - End - #20

Default Re: MCU Symbiotes

Quote Originally Posted by 9sholmes View Post
    Will Payback be in the MCU?
    Most people point to that small piece of Venom stuck in the MCU? However, MCU Gorr is coming to theaters soon. Does anyone believe that Gorr's sword will be rewritten for a movie as someone else's sword and not Knull's property like the comics? Also, if by some miracle Knull is introduce into a movie, how could anyone conclude that he won't bring an army of symbiotes like Payback or Scorn if possible?

21. - Top - End - #21

Default Re: MCU Payback Symbiote or Scorn

Okay! I am convinced, based on responses in this forum that Payback may not have a chance in the MCU anytime soon. However, what are the odds of a character like Scorn appearing in Sony's SCU, given Carnage's death after the movie Venom Two?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Unlike the MCU, this forum does not have dead threads return to life all the time.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2