New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Default Re: Good Strikes Back (IC)

Otrera

Otrera nods, her impassive face twisting into a slight grin.

"Of course. As a daughter of the desert, I'm afraid I'm not all that familiar with boats, but I will look forward to learning."
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sora, having studied the dwarven language and in turn some of its culture, was honored but with some hesitation too.

"This is a grand honor. It had been my impression we wanted to keep our strike force unknown for as long as possible so as to keep the enemy in the dark. What's done is done. As the warmage saying goes, there is no recalling a fireball. Will our sailing be well known? If so it will be interesting to see how quickly the enemy can react and with what forces."

"I have sailed some parts of the river. Though dangerous it will be good to see plenty more of it. I am ready to go."
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

We would have preferred that you had no notoriety at all, but if you were to decline this offer, no matter how you said it, it would be construed as humans thinking a dwarf award was "beneath" them. As well, dwarven customs and ceremonies are veiled in a great deal of secrecy and so this is not going to be some sort of grand public display.

As for your sailing, New Kroy is such a cesspool of chaos and villainy that while your boat will be seen to be leaving, no one is going to report it to anyone. Theres no government, our chosen captain pays his local protection money and keeps his nose clean and at least once every other month goes on an upriver venture of some kind. Even if someone spots you as amazons, it will be considered as sisters making a pilgrimage back home
    #GoreMutualarejerks

4. - Top - End - #304

Sora nods in understanding and agreement, ready to enter the den of thieves.

Atalanta

Word of going to Amazonia momentarily brought back a sad memory for the amazon ranger but she quickly snapped out of it. The voyage upriver, if not full of unending danger, would be an opportunity to see new lands and creatures. If they came across a pack of demons, all the better.

"I look forward to the trip. I am ready."
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

5. - Top - End - #305
    Troll in the Playground

"If anyone is concerned about being noticed, I can alter our appearances with an illusion."
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Your contact's name is Captain Karl

And with that, all you hear is tele-

-port
    And you are in the hell hole of Amazonia known as New Kroy. The first thing that hits you is the heat and humidity. It is almost overwhelming in its intensity. Even Otrera, from a desert climate, is affected, mostly because the heat she is used to is a dry heat. At least none of the group wears armor, which would be next to impossible, but within seconds their clothes are drenched in sweat. (of course, amazons sometimes look better in wet T-shirt contests) Tiffany's teleport landed you in a side alley, so no one is startled by your sudden appearance, and you are able to move into the heart of the city. Everywhere, the signs exist of the gangs that now control the city, legitimate government fell many centuries ago. While your group might be tasked with cleaning up evil, even this city might be beyond your power, theres absolutely nothing good to build on. Making your way to the dock area, you pass by a few ships that you might take upriver, a lot more ships that you would never trust, either ship or crew, and then you come to a ramshackle shack with a crudely scrawled name of Ca tain Karl Si htse ing Tou s. Your faith in Tiffany's choice is further shaken by the look of Captain Karl himself, the man looks raggedy and unkept, he currently sits in a chair propped up against the wall of his shack with a hat pulled down over his eyes. A corn cob pipe is stuck in his teeth, but its upside down. You cant tell if he is asleep or awake, but he does not seem to acknowledge your approach.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2022-03-18 at 11:14 AM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

7. - Top - End - #307

Atalanta

Atalanta takes in the sudden surge of heat and humidity and turns her head slightly to check on Nerva, the eagle on her shoulder. "This will take some getting used to." She instinctively breathes in to take in the scent of New Kroy and instantly regrets it. "The docks seen to be off in that direction." She'll allow anyone to take lead that wants to, otherwise will follow her nose to the docks.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    While traveling to the docks:
    Spot (1d20+23)[39]
    Listen (1d20+23)[36]

Sora

The sudden teleport does not bother the warmage at all. She is a frequent user of the spell. She isn't as used to the sudden new air of New Kroy though. "This isn't the worst of the heat. My cloak protects us as long as you stay nearby." She follows Atalanta and anyone else moving first. She ignores the sights along the route, preferring to get to the docks and their non magical transport. At the desired shack Sora speaks up to the man apparently sleeping on the chair. "Captain Karl, I presume?"
    Show

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Yer standing in me light, who wants to know
    Go way, not taking any passengers today.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2022-03-18 at 11:43 AM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

9. - Top - End - #309

"My name is Sora. We have a mutual acquaintance in a far away land." She slides half a step to the side to allow the sun through. "We have need to travel upstream. Our acquaintance directed us to see you for that."
    Show

10. - Top - End - #310
    Bugbear in the Playground

Our understanding is that you ARE taking passengers today. Us. Upriver. To the City of Gardens.

Perhaps you didn't get the memo?

She'll smile and offer her hand to the man.

Diplomacy check: (1d20+14)[29]

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

Having once again dodged the bullet by way of casting an Extended Endure Elements every night, Mulcri glances around at her overheated companions. "First snow and now this. Alright, that is the absolute last time I'm letting her send us out without a weather report."

Before they even step out of the alleyway, the Elf will take a look around, paying close attention to the way the locals are dressed. She then casts Veil on the group to help them blend in. In particular, she ensures that none of them look like Amazons and that they all appear to be sweating. She does however exclude the smell of sweat from her spell.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

I dont have any friends in far away lands
    And going uninvited to the CoG as humans is a good way to get yourself filled with arrows
    Go away and let an old man sleep
    #GoreMutualarejerks

13. - Top - End - #313

Tessa drops her hand since it's being ignored anyway.

We're invited and expected. And Tiffany told us that you are our transportation.

She starts walking past him toward the gangplank and waves her companions to follow her.

We'll go ahead and make ourselves at home. If you have specific locations for us to berth, feel free to let us know. When do we cast off?

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Captain Karl sighs audibly. Tiffany? Her again? How many times do an old man have to pay her back? Very well, take whatever bunks you want. He sighs again.

As Tessa moves past the ramshackle hut, she is shocked to see the state of Captain Karl's boat, expecting to see a vessel as beaten down as Karl is. Instead she sees one of the sleekest ships in the harbor with more than enough room for all of them and then some. Karl steps back into his shack and gets a few things including a set of maps, some clothes that would seem more appropriate to a ship's captain and a small leather bag.

You'd better be invited, I have no desire to fend off Casandra's forest rangers, they have itchy bow fingers and tend to shoot first, shoot second, shoot some more and then if anything is still moving, then they ask questions. He takes out a brass spyglass and scans the harbor. Some of you should be below deck as we leave, especially Bones there looking at Tinac the fewer passengers going up, the better it is. Taking out a wad of tobacco to fill his pipe, he starts to make the ship ready to sail.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera and Hillock

Resplendant in flowing desert robes, Otrera stays cool by staying close to Sora. She reaches into her shoulder bag to grab a morsel for her parrot, who apparently likes peanuts.

When welcomed, or perhaps 'welcomed' on board with a none-too-subtle request to go below, Otrera turns to regard the hatch leading below decks. There was already a surfeit of water in the air, and all around her. She didn't much fancy getting any closer to the bilges than she had to. "I'm light," she declared, and smiled as if daring Captain Carl to argue.

There were of course rivers in the desert, but they often were brackish, muddy things. Nothing like this broad spine. This would be fascinating.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

Not a question of who is and isnt light, taking one or two people upriver wont attract notice, more than that is another matter. And as for Bones, taking a man into the amazon lands is always remarked on. You can all come on deck for all I care once we are out of the harbor but not before.

There are two other crewmembers on the boat who busy themselves with lines and sails. Once everyone is on board, the boat pulls away from the dock and by cleverly using the sails to catch whatever little wind there is, manages to start moving against the current towards the river proper.

At least you came at high tide, low tide and its next to impossible to move.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

17. - Top - End - #317

Sora

"That's fine, captain. We don't want attention either. When our concealing magic expires you'll see that Casandra's rangers won't be an issue. If you like I can provide you protection from most arrows."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #318

Atalanta

Atalanta lightly and gracefully springs aboard the ship. She takes in the sights of the dock area then pulls out a morsel and feeds it to the eagle on her shoulder. "Soon enough, you'll get to fly but for now inside we go inside Nerva." She heads down and selects a bunk.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Upon hearing the captain's concerns, Tinac is grateful he is invisible. See no evil and all that He takes his own buck and 'claims' it by placing his Mace on it, which turns visible one he lays it down and lets go.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera and Hillock

The desert chief barked a laugh and shook her head. "As my mother liked to say, 'it is not necessary that I understand.' You'll see me again after we clear New Kroy. Thanks for your diligence, Captain."

Otrera strolls down the steps to the cabins, trying to get used to the slight undulation of the floor.

Show
    Once down below, Otrera will cast Shapechange, shared with Hillock. The two will change into Will-o-Wisps, turn invisible, and float back out to hang out at the front railing.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

The ship moves away from the dock and starts to maneuver out into harbor. It is not quite high tide so the current is still running inward and Karl opens his sails up to catch the wind, making the craft move well. Soon enough, River's Pride is out of the bay and into the river proper and he bangs on the floor boards to indicate the party is welcome to come on deck. The jungle is closing in a bit but those born in Amazonia know this is nothing compared to how it will get in a day or two. The current now works against the ship and the wind is minimal so one of crewmen takes a position near the sails and Karl hands him the leather bag he had retrieved from his shack. The sailor positions the bag just so and then opens it slightly. Winds rush out of the bag, billowing out the sails fully and the ship seems to almost leap out of the water as it starts making great progress up the mighty river.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera and Hillock

Shortly after the Captain bangs on the deck, Otrera and her parrot emerge onto the deck, happy to re-enter the climate-controlled aura offered by Sora's cloak. Although the humidity took some getting used to, it was no worse than the goblin ritual sweat-caves she had endured while befriending that peculiar tribe.

"Captain Karl, your use of the wind bag is eminently sensible. Bravo.

"this is my first time up the river. Are there any special features that you think I should keep an eye out for today?"

Show
    heading down below, Hillock will shapechange back to a parrot, and Animal Shapes should still be active on him, so that when Shapechange expires he might just change into a slightly different parrot.

Otrera will shapechange into a Planetar, and then use the Planetar's alterate form ability to look like herself again. Again, the intent is that when Shapechange expires there is as smooth as possible a transition from her seeming to be herself to her being herself.

23. - Top - End - #323

Down below, Sora speaks to Mulcri "Would you dismiss the Veil spell please? I want to deal with the captain honestly and showing our true selves will be in our favor later.".
    Show

24. - Top - End - #324

Tessa stretches and cracks her back. Ahhh, it's nice to be home! Or close to it, at least. The overbearing heat, the oppressive humidity... Just watch out for the poisonous insects, snakes, and other various animals and plants and you should be fine! Oh, and also storms that pop up without warning, blow through, and then disappear with the only trace of their passing the fact that everything is a bit wetter than normal.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

"Of course. Besides which, it's already served its purpose in getting us here." With a wave of the hand, the group resumes their normal appearances.

Show

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera and Hillock

Otrera's head swivels around as Tessa talks about the pests and storms of the region.

"Well. That sounds picturesque. I can't imagine why you would ever leave such a place."

She smiles.

"How long has it been since you were last here?"

27. - Top - End - #327

She smiles back.

I've been gone for over four years: Exploring, traveling, and helping others. I've been with three different groups that splintered and fell apart due to casualties or battle shock.

But it's not all bad. There is also beauty, honor, and happiness here. And the weather inside the city is not quite so...tempestuous.
    Last edited by Aracor; 2022-03-22 at 12:07 PM.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera and Hillock

Otrera glances upward, bemused, as her parrot transfers from shoulder to head. Tessa's words give her pause.

"You have been fighting like this for four years? I can't imagine. Our time at the mines was the most killing I have ever done in a day, and I found it exhausting. To do this as a life must take a special kind of fortitude and, perhaps separateness? Do you find it a life to your liking?"

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

The boat moves along well into the evening, when Karl closes the bag, pulls nearer to the shore and ties off to an overhanging tree along with dropping an anchor. He turns to the group...Delson and Vitrel are sailors, not soldiers and Im just an old curmudgeon. Its up to you to keep watches, we rarely do overnight cruises upriver.

Spoiler: Watches
    Show
    You have enough people to do 3 watches with 2 people each (3 when Hillock is up with Otrera) and once we have them, we can keep the same order for each night until you arrive in CoG
    #GoreMutualarejerks

30. - Top - End - #330

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Otrera and Hillock

Otrera glances upward, bemused, as her parrot transfers from shoulder to head. Tessa's words give her pause.

"You have been fighting like this for four years? I can't imagine. Our time at the mines was the most killing I have ever done in a day, and I found it exhausting. To do this as a life must take a special kind of fortitude and, perhaps separateness? Do you find it a life to your liking?"
    In some ways, you're right. It is exhausting. But I protect my sisters doing this, and I save lives, both directly and indirectly. Before joining this group, my last three jobs were to collect corpses who had gotten in over their head, so they could be resurrected. I'm sure Evil does the same thing for important figures.

She sighs heavily.

Like many warriors, Peace is something to be hoped for and worked for. But we always know that despite that, it may never be achievable. Working together with these people, taking the fight to Evil for a change instead of reacting to them? It's refreshing. It makes me think there may be a chance to someday hang my sword above a mantle rather than carry it at my side. And I will be among the happiest to do so if that day ever comes.