New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Good Strikes Back (IC)

Mulcri will shout to the rest of the group, "I saw him, but he's already teleported away! Focus on the scorpions, but keep your eyes open!"

She then attempts to magically hinder the beasts' movements.

Spoiler
    Show
    Slow, Will 25 negates, targeting as many as she can.
    Sleight of Hand: (1d20+35)[51]

152/178
    AC 42, T 32, FF 34, TFF 24
    DR 10/Adamantine (Stoneskin)
    40% Miss Chance (Cloak of Shadows, sorry I forgot about that last round)
    Arcane Sight, See Invisibility, 90' Blindsense
    If attacked, most likely will cast Extended Greater Mirror Image, though Stay the Hand is an option as well.
    If spellcasting happens from outside the party, Ring of Spell-Battle.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sora's magic gives her a sixth sense to avoid the worst of the lightning spell. "I know of that spell. That is definitely Zikram. He's prepared for us so watch out."

"The scorpions are just big beasts who can hit hard. We need to fight smarter! I'll teleport us up out of their reach."

Sora casts a spell that teleports her and her allies that are still down near the scorpions up well above the grounded enemy then fires an acid ball back down. She then drifts away from the group to keep them from being hit by one spell.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Passed Lightning reflex save using Moment of Prescience. 27 damage taken. At 153/182hp.
    Sora was already above the ground.
    Tactical Teleportation (SL6) with range 70' Getting everyone up out of scorpion reach. Unwilling targets aren't affected.

Using Circlet of Rapid Casting to quicken Orb of Acid, Lesser, at Scorp #4
    Touch attack: (1d20+19)[26]
    Damage: (10d8+44)[96] (includes warmage edge bonuses)

With Haste has 70' perfect flight. Fly to create some distance from the rest of the party so one fireball doesn't hit us all.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ogre in the Playground

Tinac flies up out of the melee about 30 feet above and quickly chants out a spell to help his teammates figure stuff out. A quick black bridge, though sideways, springs into being between 2 large trees.

Show
    Initiative: (1d20+5)[15]
    Reflex: (1d20+17)[18]
    I am turning Dark Way on its side and connecting 2 trees (in the direction that lightning bolt came from, in order to cut off any thing from that direction

4. - Top - End - #424

Atalanta accepts the free teleport from Sora then continues her barrage of energy arrows at the scorpions below.

Show
    Floating in the air with Air Walk.

Swift: Use Circlet of Rapid Casting to quicken Hunter's Mercy. First hit is an auto crit.

Full attack with Haste, Rapid Shot, and Woodland Archer (+4 to hit for the round after a miss). Starting with the scorpion she was already shooting at, then #2.

Haste: (1d20+37)[51] (+18 BAB, +11 DEX, +2 Bow, +1 Haste, +2 Bracers, +2 Comp, +1 luck)
    Damage: (5d6+17)[40] (2d6 arrows, 1d6 crystal, 2d6 bane, +4 GMW, +2 FE, +3 Imp FE, +4 Hunting, +3 STR, +1 Bracers) Force + Good (from crystal) Crit on 19+

Rapid: (1d20+37)[46]
    Damage: (5d6+17)[40]

Attack1: (1d20+37)[49]
    Damage: (5d6+17)[40]

Attack2: (1d20+32)[36]
    Damage: (5d6+17)[42]

Attack3: (1d20+27)[34]
    Damage: (5d6+17)[37]

Attack4: (1d20+322)[332]
    Damage: (5d6+17)[36]

Crit damage from first hit: Damage: roll]6d6+51[/roll]

Fast Healing 5 from Primal Scream (Round 2/10) HP: 117/251
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

5. - Top - End - #425

Spoiler: Atalanta OOC
    Show

Attack4: (1d20+322)[332]
    Damage: (5d6+17)[36]

Crit damage from first hit: Damage: roll]6d6+51[/roll]
    The 322 should have been 22, so a 32 to hit.
    (6d6+51)[82]
    Show

6. - Top - End - #426
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera and Hillock

Reaching the point at which the lightning bolt originated, Otrera and Hillock transform into large cream-coloured dogs and begin nosing around to get a fix on where the portly man had come from.

Show
    Assuming that the lightning bolt came from some distance away - explaining why we wouldn't have seen Zikram even with very good spot checks, see invisibility, etc - my assumption is that Otrera and Hillock are now sufficiently far away from the scorpions as to be of no interest to them. If that's not the case, then disregard this posted action. Instead, they can just fly up for a round or two until the scorpions lose interest.

Otherwise, changing into riding dogs and checking around to get Zikram's scent memorized, and starting the process of tracking backward to where the scent originates. Survival: [roll]1d20+20z[/roll]

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

7. - Top - End - #427
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tessa blinks as she suddenly appears out of range of the scorpions. Fair enough. Tactically, probably makes sense not to put ourselves at risk if we don't have to. My ranged options are limited though, so I prefer to save the spell slots. Though...I wonder...if these things ARE vulnerable to mind-affecting crap, maybe they're vulnerable to this!

Show
    Move action: Drop down to within 40 feet of the scorpions.
    Standard action: Attack one of the scorpions with a Ray of Stupidity (eternal wand in her wand chamber)
    Touch attack: (1d20+33)[51]
    Intelligence damage: (1d4+1)[5]
    If this works, she'll hopefully drop the intelligence of the scorpion to 0 and disable it. If it does indeed drop, she'll save the second charge for later.
    Swift action: Cast a quickened shield spell (duration 38 minutes)
    Move action: Move back up to the same level as Sora.

It's also worth noting that clearly this guy CAN teleport. So stopping that is going to be important once we close with him. I'm afraid I don't really have any ability to stop extradimensional travel. I...should probably rectify that. In the meantime, it definitely needs to be a priority.

8. - Top - End - #428

Atalanta

"I'll deal with the scorpions. Do something about that wizard. Nerva, watch for that wizard."

Atalanta continues her barrage on the scorpions below.

Show
    Full attack with Haste, Rapid Shot, and Woodland Archer (+4 to hit for the round after a miss). Starting with Tessa's last target, then the last scorpion.

Haste: (1d20+35)[48] (+18 BAB, +11 DEX, +4 Bow, +1 Haste, +2 Bracers, +2 Comp, +1 luck, +1 Feast, -5 power shot)
    Damage: (5d6+22)[42] (2d6 arrows, 1d6 crystal, 2d6 bane, +4 GMW, +2 FE, +3 Imp FE, +4 Hunting, +3 STR, +1 Bracers, +5 power shot) Force + Good (from crystal) Crit on 19+

Rapid: (1d20+35)[54]
    Damage: (5d6+22)[39]

Attack1: (1d20+35)[55]
    Damage: (5d6+22)[36]

Attack2: (1d20+30)[43]
    Damage: (5d6+22)[47]

Attack3: (1d20+25)[38]
    Damage: (5d6+22)[39]

Attack4: (1d20+20)[32]
    Damage: (5d6+22)[45]

Round 3 of 10 for Primal Scream. Fast Heal 5
    HP: 122/251

Nerva Spot: (1d20+14)[31]

EDIT From OOC:
    Confirmations:
    Rapid: (1d20+35)[53]
    Damage: (6d6+66)[85]

Attack1: (1d20+35)[36] Nat1
    Damage: (6d6+66)[83]
    Last edited by Cavir; 2022-04-23 at 09:52 PM.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #429
    Titan in the Playground

Atalanta's barrage finishes off the scorpion that had attacked Tinac, while Tessa uses a ray of stupidity on the last scorpion. Its INT drops well below zero and it drops unconscious. The scorpions are all dealt with. Meanwhile, Otrera and Hillock have the scent of Zikram and his path pretty much matches that of the scorpions
    #GoreMutualarejerks

10. - Top - End - #430
    Ogre in the Playground

Anybody seriously hurt? Tinac asks.

11. - Top - End - #431

Tessa will drop back down and coup de grace the final scorpion. Not sure if it will take multiple strikes, but since it's helpless that means she can take all the time she needs. MikelaC1 can feel free to make the rolls if they're needed.

It won't wake up for a day or so anyway, but these unnatural creatures definitely don't need to be left around to rampage.

Does anyone else happen to have Ray of Stupidity or another way to deal damage to their intellect? It seems like that's the best way to disable these things quickly without cutting through them the long way! I only have one more charge today.

12. - Top - End - #432

Atalanta

"I could use some healing for sure. First I will finish off that last abomination... or Tessa can do it." Atalanta stays in the air, searching for where the enemy teleported to.

Show
    Atalanta Spot (1d20+23)[27]
    Nerva Spot (1d20+14)[32]

Use Circlet of the Mage to recover a 1st level spell (Hunter's Mercy).
    Show

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

"This is a longshot, but I may as well try." Not really expecting it to work, Mulcri attempts to cast Locate Creature, focusing on the brief glimpse of Zikram she had before he left the fight. After all, the trail before them may be obvious for now, but it may not stay that way. And even if it does, it might only lead into more ambushes before they reach their quarry.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

14. - Top - End - #434

Sora quickly casts two protective spells on those still close by. "Where is he? Was he flying or on the ground before?"

Show
    Mass Resist Energy 30 (Lightning) (SL4)
    Quickened Mass Resist Energy 30 (Fire) (SL8)

Both last 190 minutes. Get all but Otrera and Hillock.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #435
    Titan in the Playground

The abomination is quickly finished off by Tessa since it would have been out for several days. The locate creature spell fails, either because Zikram is out of range or some other reason, but the path of natural destruction left by both spiders and now scorpions is clear as day and even if it wasnt, the bloodhound form that Otrara has changed into has his scent. Unlike the meandering of the spiders, the scorpions and Zikram moved in a straight line.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

16. - Top - End - #436

Sooo...this guy actually walked all the way here with his monsters, took one shot at us, and then ran away without even seeing the results of the fight.

And he was apparently following his monsters from behind, because otherwise I doubt he had any way to actually plan WHERE this battle took place. And...doesn't he know that his monsters up till now have failed?

This doesn't make sense. If he thought that a single spell would be enough to turn the tide, he should have stayed. If he didn't think that was enough, why was he here at all? And he cast a 9th level spell that's obscure enough for it to have almost HAD to have been him, not an illusion or a simulacrum.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ogre in the Playground

Seems pretty obvious to me. Guy was just taking a stroll with his big scorpions, that are not actually scorpions, but are... and then, encountered us. Tossed a super rare spell at us and ran away to better prepare and to make you over analyze all of it. A sudden flash of life energy issues forth from the healer healing all of the wounds suffered in the combat.

Show
    Healing Burst:(9d6)[25] additional +3 insight bonus to AC and Saves for 11 rounds.

18. - Top - End - #438
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera

Rising onto her hind legs, Otrera morphs smoothly back to her own form for a moment. She rolls her shoulders, relieved of lingering pain from the lightning blast as Tinac's healing washes over her. Tinac's sarcasm, however, passes well over the head of the literal-minded chieftain.

"Thank you, Tinac. We have his scent. It looks like he was travelling along with these scorpions - guiding them to us, presumably, since he no doubt orchestrated the ambush as well. Which, at the very least, is a clear indication that we're on the right track."

Once all of the maybe-not-scorpions have been dispatched, Otrera darts back to the spot where they had been scenting their quarry, eager to follow the trail while it was fresh.

"Silver and Gold, Hillock."

She and her companion morph into angelic forms - his larger and gold-tinted, hers smaller and silver. He pulls out one of the cloud giant morning stars, and she takes up her glaive, growing it to an appropriate scale for her.

Show
    Otrera reverts to Planetar form, Hillock to a Solar.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

19. - Top - End - #439

Sora

"I figure he knew of the spiders death somehow then rode the scorpions here. He had time to get the scorpions hidden and get out of spell range for all but the farthest reaching ones. The spell is one of few to hit so many targets without hitting his pets, dividing our attention, and attempting to warn us away. Without Atalanta's keen eyes the ambush could have been worse for us. If he hasn't just teleported to another continent then he's readying another ambush or prepping his final defenses. I don't think he'll be able to continue a hit and run strategy for long."

"Can we see how far the scorpion path goes or where it probably ends? I can teleport us there to surprise him."

Show
    Silly me forgot spells. Don't know how long we have or if we are in combat time, but the planned spells, in order:

Moment of Prescience
    Absorption
    See Invisibilty
    Robes: regain 9th level slot

Was Zikram flying up high so he could see us in the pseudo clearing?
    Last edited by Cavir; 2022-04-25 at 09:04 PM.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #440
    Titan in the Playground

Considering the way the path appears to run and the memory of the map that Otrera has, she can predict with about a 70% certainty of which one of te groves that this group came from.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

21. - Top - End - #441
    Titan in the Playground

The group follows the trail of destruction left by the vermin as well as the scent of Zikram, it takes about 5 hours to do so, and when it ends, they stand outside of one of the groves that Otrera had seen in her maps. What they see gives even them pause. The spiders and such that they had seen before were colossal but what sits in the grove is so colossal, its almost beyond that word. The spider sitting there is easily more than twice the size of the spiders they fought before, and as the group begins their approach, its head swivels to see them, clearly Zikram has already given it true seeing.
    Before the group can even act, the spider rears up and brings the front two of its feet down and a wave of force energy hits everyone in the group for 20 points (REF, DC25), the beast's way of saying hello. Even without the force energy, the ground trembles when the spider walks.

(Initiative and actions, the spider is 80 feet away from you)
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2022-04-29 at 10:01 AM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

22. - Top - End - #442

Sora

(telepathically) "How does Zikram keep that thing fed? Won't matter after this fight. Zikram is still around here somewhere. We need to fight wisely. Up and out of its range everyone. I'll dispel the beast then Sunburst that whole area and hope Zikram is in there to get blinded too."

Sora flies up and back. She casts Greater Dispel at the oversized spider followed by a quickened acidball at it.

Show
    From OOC:
    Spider Stomp REF, DC25 (1d20+14)[30]
    Init: (1d20+12)[30]
    How big is it? 80'x80'? How tall? How much apparent reach?

Max move up and back. Have 40' perfect flight, 70' if Tessa acts first and casts Haste.

Greater Dispel (SL6), targeted at the spider. I'll roll a bunch. If more are needed feel free to roll.
    (1d20+19)[31]
    (1d20+19)[21]
    (1d20+19)[36]
    (1d20+19)[31]
    (1d20+19)[33]
    (1d20+19)[28]
    (1d20+19)[36]
    (1d20+19)[20]
    (1d20+19)[25]
    (1d20+19)[35]

Quickened Fireball (Acid) (SL7) (19d6+44)[115]

168/182 hp
    Show

23. - Top - End - #443

Atalanta

"By the gods! Nothing should grow that big!" The archer ranger jogs back and upward away from the beast, not in fear but to get herself out of its reach. She casts a spell and the trees around the spider animate, entangling the monstrous spider.

Show
    Spider Stomp REF, DC25 (1d20+28)[37] (pre Primal Scream, with Heroism bonus)
    Init (1d20+15)[23]

Before the stomp: hp 182/251 (healing from Primal Scream and Tinac last fight). I did forget to check for buffing on her, if it's ok she'll drink her Potion of Heroism.

Free: Primal Scream (includes fast healing 5)
    Move: Fly up and back. 50' air walk, 80' after Tessa's Haste.

Standard: Cast Briar Web (SpC p39) so that it is centered 10' past the front of the spider (so that it extends 30' in front of the spider towards us). 40' radius spread. Lasts 4 min. No Save/SR. "The spell's area becomes difficult terrain, and creatures move at half speed within the affected area. Any creature moving through the area also takes 1 point of nonmagical piercing damage for each 5 feet moved."

Free: Fast Heal 5
    Show

24. - Top - End - #444
    Troll in the Playground

Hearing Sora's plan, Mulcri will wait for the Warmage's dispel before casting, though she will fly up with the rest of the group.

The scorpions appeared to be vulnerable to mind-affecting magic, and Mulcri has no reason to suspect the rest of Zikram's creations would be any different. So she decides to at least try to end this skirmish quickly. The spell has no somatic component, and she has long been a master of silently casting illusions, so a casual observer may believe she hasn't actually done anything besides reposition herself. But those with the ability to detect it would still recognize the magical pulse of a spell being cast.

Spoiler
    Show
    Reflex: (1d20+17)[23]
    Initiative: (1d20+19)[38] (Delay until after Sora if 30+)

Move as described, then cast SolipsismSpC 194 on the spider. Will 30 or be convinced that the entire world around it is actually an illusion, taking no actions (not even purely mental ones) and being treated as helpless for 36 rounds. (And of course Once a Fool/Creeping Vulnerability as per usual.)

157/178
    AC 38, T 32, FF 30, TFF 24
    40% Miss Chance (Cloak of Shadows, sorry I forgot about that last round)
    See Invisibility, 120' Arcane Sight, 90' Blindsense, Automatically know of all spellcasting with 60'
    If attacked, most likely will cast Extended Greater Mirror Image, though Stay the Hand is an option as well.
    If spellcasting happens from outside the party, Ring of Spell-Battle.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2022-05-02 at 03:13 AM.

Show

25. - Top - End - #445
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera and Hillock

Otrera and Hillock veer upward as the spider comes into view, both scrambling to escape the worst of the blast of force.

"Sounds good. I'll see if we can spot Zikram from above. Shiny dragons, Hillock."

Otrera and Hillock turn into bronze dragons (Hillock is a bit larger) and fly up over and past the spider. Both turn to breathe bolts of lightning at the massive beast.

Show

Otrera reflex save: (1d20+19)[21]
    Hillock reflex save: (1d20+27)[39]

Initiative: (1d20+9)[28]

Otrera - free action to turn into a Young Adult Bronze Dragon AC 59
    Hillock - free action to turn into a Mature Adult Bronze Dragon AC 38

Both have a speed of 150', so should be able to get past the spider and a height of about 60' with a move action.
    Standard action:
    Both fire lightning breath at the spider:
    Otrera: (10d6)[27] Reflex DC 26 for half
    Hillock: (14d6)[41] Reflex DC 26 for half

Otrera scans the area beyond the spider for any signs of Zikram. She has 60' blindsense and a spot check of: (1d20+42)[60]

26. - Top - End - #446

That...is a REALLY big spider! Keep a watch out for Zikram, he's likely close!
    Reflex save: (1d20+24)[39] with evasion

Show
    Initiative: (1d20+21)[23]
    Swift action: Cast Haste, hitting everyone in our party.
    Move action: Move up 50 feet so that she's within 30 feet of the giant spider
    Standard action: Cast Ray of Stupidity from her Eternal Wand, targeting the spider.
    Touch attack: (1d20+33)[44]
    Damage: (1d4+1)[4] Intelligence damage
    Move action: Move back up to 100 feet airborne. She'll also move about 30 feet closer to the clearing so that our party is spread out a bit more.

edit...since Tessa goes pretty late this round, she won't spend her wand charge if the Solopsism takes care of the spider, and will instead user her move action to get within 10 feet and then use a coup de grace to try to just end it.
    Last edited by Aracor; 2022-05-01 at 09:55 AM.

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ogre in the Playground

How.... Is all Tinac can mutter at the immensity of the creature in front of them, when the wave of energy washes over them he knows that is more than just a big ol' spider. I have something for you!
    he says as he summons (1d3)[2] Tyrannosauruses
    Show
    Reflex: (1d20+17)[26]
    Initiative: (1d20+5)[10]
    Casting Summon Nature's Ally VII to summon 1d3 from summon Natures ally VIII

28. - Top - End - #448
    Titan in the Playground

The group approaches the massive spider, preparing to fly up to deal with it from above however before they are able to act, the spider spits out a mass of sticky webbing and Mulcri is not able to dodge the wad, leaving her webbed up to a tree in a most undignified position...as well as it being one of the more disgusting things ever done to her by a monster, being spat upon and knowing that her clothes (Mulcri being a bit of a fashionista) will be covered in webs even after she gets free. (STR check DC25 or Escape Artist DC35 to free yourself, one round action). Sora, Otrera and Hillock bombard the spider with blasting, while Atalanta rearranges terrain. Tessa drains INT away from the spider, but clearly this is the most intelligent of Zikram's "pets" and it is not slowed, while Tinac summons a pair of Arrowhawks, who both fire electrical rays at the spider.

ROUND TWO
    Tactical: big mother spider to pound on.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

29. - Top - End - #449

Sora

(telepathic) "Watch your eyes, flash coming." The warmage casts a spell and a great light flashes everything from the spider and beyond, large enough to blind an army of thousands.

(telepathic) "Mulcri, can you get out of that on your own?" If yes, Sora flies upward. If Mulcri needs help, Sora flies down to be behind the tree that Mulcri is stuck to so that the spider can't easily target her if it managed to avoid the flash with all of its many eyes.

Show
    Cast Widened Sunburst. 160' radius. Everything within it is blinded (instantaneous) and takes (6d6+44)[62] damage. Reflex DC 27 to avoid blinding and half damage. If there happens to be undead in the area they take [roll[19d6+44[/roll] damage (Reflex applies).

If I move down to Mulcri, I'll still be off the ground to avoid helping any tremor sense. Would I be able to touch Mulcri for Dimension Hop without getting stuck too?
    170/182hp
    Show

30. - Top - End - #450
    Titan in the Playground

The solipsism cast by Mulcri fully affects the spider, and it stops moving, seemingly bemused by the whole situation.
    #GoreMutualarejerks