New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Good Strikes Back (IC)

2 eyes float down each corridor and about 5 minutes, all return to report. The eyes in the corridor on the far right report an empty chamber that have cots and two exits out the rear. The eyes from the middle corridor report 11 sleeping dwarves and one sleeping giant, one exit out the rear. The far left sees 11 dwarves and one giant, all awake and two exits out the rear.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2022-01-14 at 11:15 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

While the Eyes are scouting ahead, Mulcri passes out three of the amulets to whoever wants one, storing any remaining into her Haversack. These will make the wearer a bit heartier." She will wear one herself, after activating the amulet she is already wearing.

With the amulets identified and still no sign of returning eyes, the Elf will take a look at the Giants' weapons as well.

When they return, the Elf will report what her Eyes have seen to the rest of the group, then use her Third Eye Sense to observe the room with the awake people while we discuss our next move. "So, shall we ambush the sleeping one first, or silence the alert?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    CL4 Righteous Fury, 20 Temporary HP for up to an hour and an irrelevant +4 sacred bonus to Str for four minutes.

Four amulets means four minutes, leaving one to inspect a morningstar. No action to simply check the auras of the armor and weapons. I assume those are similarly identical to each other, so I'll just identify the nearest morningstar if none of the auras are different. If any are, I'll make the decision when I get the info.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

The auras on all weapons and armor are similar, and the first morning star is a +4 weapon.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

4. - Top - End - #94
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera

Once the magic items are identified and the eyes are on their way, Otrera and Hillock will step out of the cave. For a moment Otrera resumes her amazon aspect, and Hillock transforms into a gigantic, slightly hairy, elephant. Unless there are objections, the giants' armour and weapons are loaded onto bags and straps hanging off of Hillock, except for one of the highly magical morningstars. When, at a second command from Otrera, the elephant transforms again into the flaming demon, he bends down to pick up the morning star and practices with it for a moment. It's clear that he has swung things before, but any benefit is likely to come from the magic of the weapon and the force of the blow, not the skill of the swinger.

*Yes, definitely the awake ones first. They're also the ones most likely to be on the move, to a meal or a shift.*

Show
    Unless anyone else wants to carry the giants' stuff, Hillock can do so pretty easily.

Neither of us would benefit from the amulets, and should be left out of the mass invisibility, so we don't spoil it if we need to move.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-01-15 at 01:52 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

Tinac asks nonchalantly Any need healing? I doubt it, as you were most efficient in taking down those giants... were if the rest of our potential combats went as smoothly. He then stands near Mulcri I feel that taking out the potential of an alert is more pressing, the sleeping one will take a few to even be aware that anything is happening, In fact. I think Roadan could most likely, kill the sleeping one with one stab.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tessa

Tessa shrugs.

I think I'm the only one that got hit at all, and the attack didn't get through my protective aura. Let's hope they're all that easy...

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Atalanta

Atalanta approached the group. She called Nerva, her eagle, and instructed her to patrol the area around the entrance.
    Spoiler: Handle Animal: guard
    Show
    (1d20+21)[29]

She found Hillock's latest transformation a really bad choice given the mission objective...

A Balor. Really?

And went inside the cave trying to avoid the elementals who were ruining the trails inside. She then started to look fo any indication of other giants or dwarfs moving around the mine in the previous hours.

Spoiler: Survival
    Show
    (1d20+23)[41] add +9 if evil outsiders tracks

8. - Top - End - #98
    Firbolg in the Playground

Sora

"Enough of us, including the elementals, can get to the sleeping giant and all hit him at once, while keeping the invisibility alive. The fight should be over before those dwarves wake. That gives us time to keep get the dwarves to keep quiet, with the benefit of killing fewer slaves. If we attack the others first we don't know how many of the dwarves will help sound the alarm and wake up the sleeping group. No one has a silence spell or effect do they?"

Show
    Just thought of it- with the magic IDing some time as passed. Once 10 minutes from the buffing outside the cave has passed I'll have more elementals showing up. Let me know when please.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

9. - Top - End - #99
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera

Returning to her three-eyed earthen form, Otrera lead Hillock back inside the cave and sent to her colleagues.

*Okay, that's two votes for the awake giant and one for the sleeping one. Anyone else care to express an opinion?*
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

10. - Top - End - #100

Advantage of taking out the sleeping one first? We MAY be able to kill it before it can set off an alarm. Disadvantage: May be noisy enough to attract the awake one anyway. Advantage to going after the awake one first? We MAY be able to knock it out quietly enough that the sleeping one doesn't wake up...

Honestly, we're probably going to have to deal with them both anyway. I'll volunteer to go kill the sleeping one and catch up with the rest of you after it's done.

11. - Top - End - #101

Sora casts a spell on herself. "If you all insist on the awake on first, fine, though I still believe a silent assassination is the better tactic. Once we deal with one group we need to quietly hurry to the other group. Trying to take out a giant alone is unwise. Remember the last ones took a severe hit from my magic first, plus there may be a dwarf or two that sides with the giant, especially if there is just one attacker. I'll have the elementals block the back exits as before. Am I holding back on casting so I don't break the Mass Invisibility?"

Show
    Cast See Invisibility on myself. Lasts 190 minutes.

How wide/high are these tunnels?
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

12. - Top - End - #102
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera

It's hard to tell in her current form whether Otrera is smiling or grimacing.

"Ideally, Sora, we'll still manage a quick assassination on the sleeping giants afterward. And, indeed, the waking ones, if we're able to move stealthily enough.

*I'll proceed below the main group, in the earth, to watch for any pits or the like. I should be able to keep track of you through your footsteps. Hillock will stay up here with you for now. We should go now, if you're ready.*

The rocky thing that is Otrera sinks into the ground without a trace.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    How wide/high are these tunnels?
    You know that cloud giants are supposed to be about 18 feet tall and they can move in these tunnels without stooping down...it looks like they are wide enough for two to walk abreast.
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2022-01-17 at 04:24 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a way to kind-of be at two places at once. If Aracor is going to kill the sleeping one by himself, i will cast Foresight, so I know if he is in danger.... actually now that I think about it... I need to cast it on Roadan as well. I will Delay Death Aracor as well, that will give him time for me arrive and heal before he succumbs to any wounds. Tinac then casts while the conversation on what best route to precced is taking place.

Spoiler: Availabel Spells Remaining
    Show

Zero: 6
    1. 8 +1
    2. 8 +1
    3. 7 +1
    4. 8 +1
    5. 5 +1
    6. 3 +1
    7. 6 +1
    8. 5 +1
    9. 2 +1

15. - Top - End - #105

"I believe Roadan can keep himself alive. If there are enemy dwarves there too he won't be able to block two large exits at the same time. Let's strike the awake ones quickly all together. The elementals are already on their way to block the exits. We'll need to calm the slaves quickly. We'll use my magic blast as the attack sign again? It'll target just the giant and easier if he isn't in melee already."
    Show

16. - Top - End - #106
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Atalanta

Killing a sleeping enemy was not really in her ethos; ambush them while they were guarding the entrance was one thing, but slaughtering them while aslept seemed wrong.

Wouldn't be wiser to try and talk with the dwarfs that are with the sleeping giant. Surround the giant and force them to surrender?

She offered, knowing well too well that these zealous wariors were up for the killing. Atalanta was here to fight demons, their minions were of lesser importance, but living and intelligent creatures non the least.

However they decided to go, Atalant will take point on one of the groups.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

"I would normally be fine with that, but remember our instructions specifically include killing these Giants. Slitting someone's throat in his sleep doesn't exactly appeal to me, but I can live with it because it's more practical than starting a fight and potentially raising the alarm. I've already been forming a mental list of things to mention to our superiors before we do any future missions, and now that you mention it I will happily add some variation of 'what do we do if someone you told us to kill tries to surrender'."

"For now, I say we take the awake ones first, before they leave. Although, if anyone wants to split off to handle the sleeping one, I wouldn't try to stop them.
    [/i]

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera

Otrera winces under the earth. She is reminded of the reason why her clan had one chief. She rose up out of the earth again.

*This is as the droning of the wind across the dunes, a sound lulling but meaningless. Talk later. Kill now.*

She beckoned for Hillock to start down the hallway. She melts into a new form, a horned and clawed fiend subtly different from Hillock.

*You're welcome to come.*

The pair of fiends take to the air and start off slowly down the passage.

Show
    Moving this forward.

Otrera takes on the shape of a pit fiend. AC 63. They fly forward at ceiling height at 30' movement rate. Hoping that others will join them.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

I am open to a split or divided party, just remember that you cannot influence reactions in the room you are not in (looks specifically at Tinac)

Otrera has indicated that she is moving forward, I need clarification on which tunnel she is choosing, sleeping or non-sleeping. Since this is now breaking the ice, I need to hear which tunnel each person is following, an initiative roll and a statement of your actions, based obviously on which room you enter, seeing as it doesnt make any sense to burst into the sleeping room with fireballs blazing.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Raodan watches with an impressed-raised-eyebrow as the group tears through the giants, his own blows felling the giant, it was an impressive display that not many mortals could claim. He cleaned his blade on the corpse of the giant before him, placing it back in it's sheath while they scouted and looted, he moved slowly walked to the mouth of the tunnel, seeing one of his allies...he couldn't remember her name, turn into a....demon? his demonology wasn't up to snuff, he simply shrugged it off and watched.

Upon hearing of the two options, he mentally nods in agreement I will go to the sleeping giant, anyone willing to come is welcome, I do not want to waste these boons I have received, I will be stepping out in 1 minute

And with that, he waits, then moves off in the direction designated, looking for the giant.

Spoiler
    Show

Move silently - (1d20+34)[38]
    Hide - (1d20+54)[71] (+20 from being invisible)

Coup de grace vs sleeping giant (FRA):
    Auto crit Damage - (2d6+12)[19] & sudden strike (11d6+4)[45]
    Giant must make Fort save DC 74 or die

Raodan
    HP's: 117/101
    AC: 37
    T: 29 FF: 29
    Saves- F: +12 R: +24 W: +20
    Effects: Heroe's Feast (16 temp HP, immunity to poison/fear for 12 hours & +1 morale to attack and will saves), Extended Superior Invisibility (54 minutes), True Seeing (180 minutes), Telepathic Bond (180 minutes), Mass Resist Energy, Fire 30 (190 minutes), Foresight (190 minutes?)
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2022-01-19 at 11:49 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

21. - Top - End - #111

Tessa

I'll go with you to the sleeping giant, and back you up if necessary. Hopefully I'll also be able to talk the dwarves into standing down instead of trying to defend it, and hopefully just bugging out entirely.

She'll cast Invisibility on herself and head down with Raodan.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Atalanta joins the duo. The others seem more than capable of handling the awaken giants, and rescuing those dwarfs seems a priority.

She moves ahead, always alert and cautious.

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Auranghzeb View Post
    Atalanta
    Wouldn't be wiser to try and talk with the dwarfs that are with the sleeping giant. Surround the giant and force them to surrender?
    Sora explains matter of factually. "This is a fast strike operation. We're not giving them the chance for a fair fight. We want to keep things as lopsided as possible for us. No time for prisoners. Remember these are slavers. Best we can do is hand over any who try to surrender to the dwarves we free so they can have their revenge."

"We need to get the dwarves to stay quiet. They should know the mine layout which will aid us greatly. Their choice to either leave or follow us in. Having some follow us will help when we encounter other dwarves."

"So Atalanta, Tessa, and Atalanta at least are hitting the sleeping ones. They'll be group 2 and I'll join the awake group, group 1, using the elementals to keep the exits blocked. I can see invisible now, except for the superior invisibility of course. I'll be attacking from up on the ceiling and using teleports to move so I don't make noise approaching. Two elementals will cover each exit and one will join in the attack from below. Anything else? Let's go."

While everyone gets quietly into position Sora eyes the cavern, particularly the dwarves. Where there any traitors among them? Is the giant similarly outfitted as the others? Once the others (from both groups) were ready Sora casts a spell with her one hand starting open then snapping her pointer finger closed while the rest of her fingers aim at the giant. A small fist sized ball of flame shoots out aimed at the giant. Just after the blast impacts, she calls out in polite Dwarven. "We are here to help and kill the giants. Please stay clear."

Show
    Sora will combine Dimensional Jaunt (45') and Slippers of Spider Climbing to move along the ceiling invisibly.
    Four Elementals will earth glide to the exits and stay in the ground until the attack starts. Then their job is to stop things from getting through.
    L1 and L2 cover the left exit.
    L3 and L4 cover the right exit
    L5 will earth glide next to the giant and come up to attack on the right once things have started.

Initiative (1d20+7)[20]

Attack: Orb of Fire (SL4)
    Ranged Touch: (1d20+16)[35] (+13 BAB, +3 Dex)
    Damage: (19d6+44)[110] Fire and Fort DC 23 or be Dazed one round.

L5 attack: (1d20+13)[30] (+1 for Mastery)
    Damage: (2d8+8)[15] (+1 for Mastery)

Sora: AC30, 180/182hp, 16 temp hp
    L1-L5: AC18, 96hp
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Mulcri will send an Eye down the third tunnel with instructions to stay hidden at the fork and return to her if it sees any creature not part of their own group. She will then join the ones heading towards the people who are awake. When they get close, she will again briefly check on them with her Third Eye before they proceed. "Strike when you will. I will try to keep the Dwarves calm."

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+14)[33]

Mulcri will delay until the last of her team has done their actions, acting on the lowest of their initiative counts (or until the Giant is dead, whichever comes first). She will cast Mass Suggestion on the Dwarves (and also the Giant, because why not) and say in Dwarven: "Please remain calm. We are here to set you all free."

Will 29 negates.

Show

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrara

Together with Sora and Mulcri, Otrera instinctively take on guard positions in front of the others. Once they reach the cavern with the giant, they draw fire by darting forward from the ceiling. Hillock lifts his newly-acquired morningstar, while Otrera has pulled out a glaive that adjusts to her size.

Show
    Initiative: (1d20+11)[13]

To start, Hillock is in Balor form, and Otrera is a pit fiend.

Once we arrive at the room with the awake giant, Hillock will charge forward from the ceiling to the cloud giant, unless there's a clear reason in the room not to (a barrier, the giant is a baby, etc). He can cover up to 180' with a flying charge, and uses full power attack with Stormguard Warrior to attack once with his new morning star. Hillock is then AC 22, HP 392, and size large.
    Attack (18 BAB + 18 Strength +4 weapon bonus +2 charge) (1d20+42)[62]
    Damage (2d6 +4 magic weapon +13 strength (two handed grip + 36 power attack) (2d6+53)[59]
    With Pierce Magical Concealment, Hillock ignores miss chances or concealment coming from spells or SLA's. With Mage Slayer, the giant cannot cast spells defensively.

Otrera will also charge the giant, lowering her AC to 61. She uses her Sizing Glaive, which has now been augmented to +4.
    Attack: (13 BAB + 21 strength +4 magic weapon +2 charge) (1d20+40)[43]
    Damage: (2d8 +4 weapon + 31 strength) (2d8+35)[43]

If the giant does anything to trigger an attack of opportunity, both Hillock and Orera will take the attacks:
    Hillock: Attack (1d20+22)[28]
    Damage (2d6+53)[64]
    Otrera: Attack (1d20+38)[53]
    Damage: (2d6+35)[42]

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Spoiler: Potential Critical for Hillock
    Show

Crit Confirmation roll: (1d20+42)[43]
    Damage: (2d6+53)[62]

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Group 1 initiative
    Show
    Sora, Otrara, Mulcri, Giant

Spoiler: Group 2 initiative
    Show
    Raordan, Tessa, Atalanta, Dwarf

The group attacking the active giants and dwarves explode into action, Sora hitting the giant with magic and Otrera and Hillock pounding on him as well. The giant looks extremely damaged but manages a strike back on Ortara for 37 points. One dwarf, who is armed and armored as well steps forward with the giant, striking at Hillock 4 times but scoring only one hit for 20 points. The other 10 dwarves, who are unarmed and unarmored, run to the back of the room, forming a defensive position but taking no threatening action.

Raordan creeps silently into the sleeping dwarf room and with one swift blow, separates the giant's head from its body. The head rolls around, the sound awakening the dwarves. One dwarf, who is armed (but unfortunately unarmored as he was sleeping) steps forward, boldly saying What is the meaning of this outrageous intrusion?. The other 10 dwarves run to the far end of the room, forming a defensive position but taking no threatening action.

Round 2
    Tactical: Group 1, giant near death, dwarf unharmed, 10 dwarves taking no offensive action
    Group 2, giant beheaded, dwarf unharmed, 10 dwarves taking no offensive action

EVERYBODY in both groups, make a will save.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

28. - Top - End - #118

Spoiler: Will Save
    Show
    (1d20+21)[36]

Tessa, though invisible, will speak.

Peace, friends. We are here to render these mines inoperative. As of right now, we've slain the guards at the entrance and are pushing deeper. We plan to evacuate everyone who's willing to go, but this mine is going to collapse within the hour. I strongly recommend that you work on evacuation.

She stops for a second and tilts her head...
    Spoiler: Through Mind Link
    Show
    Did anyone else just get some words in their head?
    Last edited by Aracor; 2022-01-20 at 02:15 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Raodan wipes the blood of his blade as he regarded the giants head on the floor, it was grisly work, but needed to be done. He tilted his head to the side as a voice spoke to him.

Looking to Tessa he nods, I too heard a voice. Someone has noticed us.

Spoiler
    Show

Raodan
    HP's: 117/101
    AC: 37
    T: 29 FF: 29
    Saves- F: +12 R: +24 W: +20
    Effects: Heroe's Feast (16 temp HP, immunity to poison/fear for 12 hours & +1 morale to attack and will saves), Extended Superior Invisibility (44 minutes), True Seeing (170 minutes), Telepathic Bond (170 minutes), Mass Resist Energy, Fire 30 (~180 minutes), Foresight (180 minutes?), Ghost Mind (caster level check DC 38 vs scrying), Ghost Sight (see invisible and ethereal), trapfinding.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

30. - Top - End - #120
    Ogre in the Playground

Tinac watches as Otrara, Hillock, and Sora unleash a devastating first strike against the giant. He nods and answers Tessa mentally somebody thinks I should leave as I cannot do anything..

Spoiler: Will Save
    Show
    (1d20+30)[35]