New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Good Strikes Back (IC)

"The voice to me said 'They don't understand your military magic, strike at them before they attack you'. "

"They are tipping their hand by trying to sow doubt. Stay strong and keep an eye out for each other. Group 1 giant nearly dead. One dwarf fighting back. How goes group 2?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Will save 38 in OOC.

No action yet. For planning, elemental L5 is fighting the giant too right?
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

2. - Top - End - #122
    Bugbear in the Playground

Raodan took the giant out in one shot. I'm trying to talk the dwarves into evacuating now.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Atalanta

the brave hunter was starting to have serious doubts about her value to the group. And then this voice in her head called her worthless...

She tried to fight the voice, argue against it.

I belong here, I am the herald of Corsada, slayer of demons...

But whatever it was, the voice felt overpowering. Atalanta's mind was clouded, her emotions out of her control.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Rolling for Toli to push this forward
    (1d20+27)[39] WILL

EDIT: As the group pushes forward into battle, Atalanta and Mulcri both clutch their heads, screaming out The voices, the voices, make them stop

ROUND TWO continues
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2022-01-22 at 07:41 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

5. - Top - End - #125

Sora, visible and sticking to the ceiling, walks upside down towards the huddling dwarves staying clear of the giant's reach. She lets loose with a slightly smaller version of the fire spell she fired at the giant, this time targeting the dwarf. "Tinac, can you check on Mulcri?"

Verbally, she continues to address the dwarf slaves in proper formal but quickly spoken dwarven. "You are slaves no more. Please allow us another moment for the fight and then we shall talk."

Show
    40' move along the ceiling towards the dwarves to also get a clearer shot at the attacking dwarf without the melee with the giant in the way.

Lesser Orb of Fire (SL1) with Improved Warmage Edge
    Touch: (1d20+16)[29]
    Damage: (14d8+44)[107]

Diplomacy (1d20+30)[43]
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Briefly forgetting who can and can not perceive her movements, Mulcri holds up a hand in Tinac's direction. "I... I'm okay. It seems the voices are hitting me harder than the rest of- SHUT UP ALREADY! I DON'T EVEN GIVE A DAMN ABOUT THAT!" She begins to cast, then moves laterally away from where she cried out.

Spoiler
    Show
    Cast Fizzle Net of Shadows targeting the Dwarf and Giant. Will 24 negates, along with the -2 for Once a Fool/Creeping Vulnerability.

Concentration: (1d20+30)[35]
    Last edited by Debatra; 2022-01-24 at 11:47 AM.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Atalanta

Her fingers clutched her bow with clear tension and insecurity as her head turned around nervously, it was affecting her precision and calmness. She wanted the voices to stop. But more importantly, she wnated to know where the voices came from. Inside this room? Were the demons scrying them? The spellcasters should know.

Hey, are we being observed? Because the voices in my head suggest that we migh have blown our cover already.

With the sleeping giant now beheaded, Atalanta had no hostile intentions towards the dwarfs. She silently air walked to a position of safety and waited for the situation to evolve.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera & Hillock

Hillock looks around, wondering where the voices are that he's not hearing. He shrugs.

In retaliation for the giant's counter-strike, Otrera slashes at him with her glaive. Hillock waits to see if Otrera finishes off the giant. If not, he moves around to the other side of the great thug's head and slashes at him several times with his morning star. But if Otrera has already toppled the giant, Hillock turns his weapon onto the armoured dwarf.

Otrera sends back through the link with her colleagues.

*The message I got was pure silliness. Something about a king of burghers?*

Otrera also drops heavily to the ground and glances around at the other dwarves. Realizing that anything she says in her current form is going to sound especially ominous, she keeps it brief.

"This man has chosen the wrong side. Wait a moment, and we will explain."

Show
    Sorry to hold things up.

Mikela, can we get some sense of the room that we're in now? Other entrances/exits? Roughly how big? Hillock has True Seeing active, and both have 60' blindsight.

Otrera full attack with her glaive on the giant. She's now AC 63.
    Attack 1: (1d20+38)[48]
    Damage 1: (2d6+35)[42]
    Attack 2: (1d20+33)[46]
    Damage 2: (2d6+35)[42]
    Attack 3: (1d20+28)[35]
    Damage 3: (2d6+35)[41]

Hillock full attack, either on the giant (if he's still active) or the dwarf) if not. His AC rises to 40. Using 5 points of power attack
    Attack 1 (BAB 18 -5 power attack +4 magic +19 strength +2 flanking): (1d20+38)[39]
    Damage 1 (+28 strength +10 power attack +4 magic): (2d6+42)[47]
    Attack 2: (1d20+33)[45]
    Damage 2: (2d6+42)[51]
    Attack 3: (1d20+28)[33]
    Damage 3: (2d6+42)[48]
    Attack 4: (1d20+23)[34]
    Damage 4: (2d6+42)[54]

Then both fall to the ground (damage likely absorbed by DR)
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

Mulcri, having issues with voices in her head, attempts to cast on the dwarf but is unable to maintain the necessary concentration, and her spell fizzles. The matter is resolved by the combined attacks of Sora, Otrara and Hillock, as the dwarf and the giant are polished off.
    The dwarves look up at that point, who are you, why are you doing this, are we really free?

Things dont go as well on the other side, the other dwarves are not taking action, but the lead dwarf is not interested in talking. We are already free, we are paid a fair wage and you are wrecking everything. He swings wildly at where he perceives the voice to be coming from, but misses.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera

Otrera lifts her glaive, still dripping with blood, and drops down from her fiendish aspect into a form like the dwarven miners around her. Hillock glances over and does the same...then has trouble holding onto the still-massive morningstar in his hands. Otrera sent to her colleagues through their link.

*We have taken out a a giant and a dwarf loyal to his cause. A dozen dwarf miners are seeking their freedom. How do you fare over there?*

Otrera shakes off something in her head, then glances over at Sora and Mulcri. This group had been working together for only a short time, but already Otrera saw leadership and clear language in both. She could speak fire when the situation called for it, but it seemed to come much more smoothly to Sora, and Mulcri clearly had magics that could make the stones themselves obey.

She was concerned about the cry she had heard from the elf-woman a few seconds ago, but hoped that Mulcri could regather her thoughts.

In the meantime, she turned to the dwarves.

"Yes, you are free. But if can linger a few minutes. We would like to better understand the layout of this place. Who can help?"
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

(10 dwarves) The dwarf miners look at each other for a moment, clearly unsettled by a pair of shape changing fiends, but it seems like they were on their side, at least in taking out the giants. Then again, demons like sargentum as much as devils did. Finally, one of them steps forward. All of the mining takes place on the second level, one team at a time, 3 teams for an 8 hour shift. Guarded by giants, one traitor dwarf in each team and the pit fiend overseer. The refining operations are done on this level, in the room beyond this one He gestures towards two exits in the back of the room, pointing to the one on the right.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

I am hearing strange voices as well, 3 I think, and I could not decipher what it meant. The Dwarves here are saying they are paid, and we are ruining everything. The others have gone silent, I will attempt to reveal myself and figure things out

He then uses prestidigitation to create a tiny Swan made out of stone 10 feet from his person, it is very crude, but gets the job done. "I apologize master Dwarf, we are on a mission against these giants and their master, you are unfortunate bystanders, if any of you feel you want to leave, feel free to do so, but if you get in the way, I cannot promise your safety."

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy - (1d20-1)[15]

Raodan
    HP's: 117/101
    AC: 37
    T: 29 FF: 29
    Saves- F: +12 R: +24 W: +20
    Effects: Heroe's Feast (16 temp HP, immunity to poison/fear for 12 hours & +1 morale to attack and will saves), Extended Superior Invisibility (44 minutes), True Seeing (170 minutes), Telepathic Bond (170 minutes), Mass Resist Energy, Fire 30 (~180 minutes), Foresight (180 minutes?), Ghost Mind (caster level check DC 38 vs scrying), Ghost Sight (see invisible and ethereal), trapfinding.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

13. - Top - End - #133

Tessa will step back to make sure she's not within melee range of the dwarf, and then speak to the dwarf again.

Let me be perfectly clear here. I can offer you either the carrot or the stick, but this mine is going down. If you try to take another swing at me, you're going to get cut down just as quickly as that giant did.

The mine is going to be shut down, and the only real choice you have is whether or not you die before it does, or if you survive and escape.

There are now three voices talking in my head, but they make no sense at all.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Move action, Tessa will move out of melee range of the dwarf.
    Standard action: Suggestion (DC 29) You should flee before the mine collapses. You may be able to dig out some loot later.
    Swift action: Activate Minor Shapeshift reserve feat to give herself 19 temporary hit points. [Duration 5 rounds]

Using her Suggestion spell-like ability should cause her invisibility spell to break.
    Last edited by Aracor; 2022-01-26 at 04:06 PM.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

The leader dwarf clearly doesnt want to leave and gives a warning, glowering look to the rest of the dwarves as he slinks out of cave, unable to resist the amazonian magic.
    Rockbelly lied, we dont get paid a wage, we get barely enough food to live. Sure he gets a cushy position, cracking the whip over all of us.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

15. - Top - End - #135

Well, he's listening to me for nearly a day. I don't suggest being around him when he comes to his senses.

Can you tell us about what lies beyond? You can easily escape out the front if that's what you'd like, but we'd be grateful for any information you can offer us.

Diplomacy: (1d20+12)[14]

Okay, the hostile dwarf is heading out the front, and will be doing so for nearly a day. That should be more than enough time for us to complete our task, though I expect he'll be staying close. I'm asking the rest if they can give us any information before we go forward further.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aracor View Post
    Well, he's listening to me for nearly a day. I don't suggest being around him when he comes to his senses.

Can you tell us about what lies beyond? You can easily escape out the front if that's what you'd like, but we'd be grateful for any information you can offer us.

Diplomacy: [roll0]

Okay, the hostile dwarf is heading out the front, and will be doing so for nearly a day. That should be more than enough time for us to complete our task, though I expect he'll be staying close. I'm asking the rest if they can give us any information before we go forward further.
    The of this level contains other teams sleeping quarters, refining operations for the sargentum and one forbidden room. The actual mining operation is all down on the second level, along with the pit fiend overlord
    #GoreMutualarejerks

17. - Top - End - #137

Fortunately Sora is used to the demands of multitasking within the chaos of battle. There was no physical battle right now, but mixing peacefulness with the dwarven slaves in front of her, the arcane assault the group faced telepathically, and the dwarves in the other room was still a juggling act. She teleports to the ground near the dwarves with her weapon lowered and addresses them in their language and her own group in common.

"My apologies for my colleagues' horrible choice of forms to shift into. I assure you that they are not fiends else I would be using all my magic to blast them myself. Thank you for the blessing of information. The giants that were guarding outside are dead so you may safely escape this place. The giant in the next room over is already dead too. That leaves just one more giant, traitor and the overseer? Anything you can tell us of the overseer? He has no other guards? That way to the refinery, where does the other way lead? Down to the 2nd level? The traitor in the next room is on his way out of the mine. I'm sure you could catch up to him. May Moradin guide you."

"Otrera and Hillock, fiendish forms are not the way to establish trust, never mind being unwise in general."

"Mulcri, a fizzle? What can we do to help? With a pit fiend we'll need you in top form. Who else is having trouble with the voices? Affecting us in both rooms is impressive, unless there are more than one culprit. We're done here let's go join the others."
    Show

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

Down in the mine right now is a work group, which would be a group of dwarf miners, one leader dwarf and a giant overseer. The pit fiend always has one giant guard and I have seen an ice devil with him at times. The refinery also has the elevator down to the mine, and the other passage leads to the forbidden room.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems as though a farm owned by the nation is your friend...according to these voices. The tone of his voice makes you envision Tinac shrugging his shoulders and having a confused expression. He walks up to Mulcri and says matter of factly "I am not sure... you do not sound OK, yelling at a disembodied voice like that.. do you wish a spell to perhaps assist you?
    Last edited by ngilop; 2022-01-26 at 10:56 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera

Otrera turns to the dwarf miners, waiting for them to respond to Sora's questions before asking her own.

"Is the refined sargentum stored in the refining area? And how many more dwarves would be down in the mines at this time?"

She joins in the mental conversation among her colleagues.

*I'm still getting the voice as well, telling me that we'll all die. Et cetera et cetera.

*Sora, once we're ready to destroy this place, it would be unwise to leave any stores of the poison behind. Do you have the ability to obliterate objects entirely? And my primary intent is not to establish trust, but to kill giants.*

21. - Top - End - #141
    Troll in the Playground

"These voices are very annoying. I already have Mind Blank of all things up and they're still getting through. If you think you have something else that will help, I'll take it."
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

22. - Top - End - #142

"Gaining trust is how we know a lot more about what we face. Remaining are ten slaves, a traitor, two giants, the overseer, and possibly an ice devil. The later two may be able to summon more aid. The passage to the right is to the refinery and a lift to the other level. The other way leads to a forbidden room. I wonder if these chaotic voices come from there. Let us go see to the other group then altogether hit the forbidden room."

Yes, if we find a sizable pile of sargentum I can disintegrate it. What is unmined will get buried with an earthquake, several if we can figure a safe way to do that."

"Mulcri, can you send any eyes into the two passages? Does your Arcane Sight tell you of any unexpected spells upon yourself?"

(Dwarven) "Thank you, master dwarves. We plan to sink this mine with an earthquake spell. Do you have a suggestion for the best place to do that?

(Common) "Grab the gear from the slain. Let's all head back to the intersection so the dwarves may leave and we can find the others. Elementals, follow me." Sora takes the lead. "We are on our way to you."
    Last edited by Cavir; 2022-01-27 at 07:29 AM.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Toliudar View Post
    Otrera

Otrera turns to the dwarf miners, waiting for them to respond to Sora's questions before asking her own.

"Is the refined sargentum stored in the refining area? And how many more dwarves would be down in the mines at this time?"

She joins in the mental conversation among her colleagues.

*I'm still getting the voice as well, telling me that we'll all die. Et cetera et cetera.

*Sora, once we're ready to destroy this place, it would be unwise to leave any stores of the poison behind. Do you have the ability to obliterate objects entirely? And my primary intent is not to establish trust, but to kill giants.*
    The refined sargentum is picked up on a fairly regular basis, but there is a bit stored there now, our last pick up was two days ago and there is one scheduled for tomorrow. There are only 10 dwarves on each team plus the traitor and one team down in the mine at any one time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavir View Post
    "Gaining trust is how we know a lot more about what we face. Remaining are ten slaves, a traitor, two giants, the overseer, and possibly an ice devil. The later two may be able to summon more aid. The passage to the right is to the refinery and a lift to the other level. The other way leads to a forbidden room. I wonder if these chaotic voices come from there. Let us go see to the other group then altogether hit the forbidden room."

Yes, if we find a sizable pile of sargentum I can disintegrate it. What is unmined will get buried with an earthquake, several if we can figure a safe way to do that."

"Mulcri, can you send any eyes into the two passages? Does your Arcane Sight tell you of any unexpected spells upon yourself?"

(Dwarven) "Thank you, master dwarves. We plan to sink this mine with an earthquake spell. Do you have a suggestion for the best place to do that?

(Common) "Grab the gear from the slain. Let's all head back to the intersection so the dwarves may leave and we can find the others. Elementals, follow me." Sora takes the lead. "We are on our way to you."
    One of the dwarves gives Sora the most advantageous position to center the earthquake, with his geological knowledge he assures her that the mine will be totally obliterated by the spell and would be beyond the capabilities of human miners to re-excavate.

Both cloud giants have morning stars that appear to be a bit better crafted than the outer guards were. They both wear chain shirts and have an amulet but they also both have a magical ring. The slain warrior dwarf has a battle axe, plate-mail, an amulet and a ring. The other dwarf left with his axe, amulet and ring, but left behind his plate-mail.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Atalanta

She was too scared. The voices in her head distracted her and incited her to leave.

She is so distragught that when she attempts a telephatic message, she mumbles it instead.

We should re-group and move downwards...

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera

Since it seemed that Sora was unlikely to let the matter drop, Otrera exercised the better half of valour and simply gestured for Hillock to transform back into his elephantine form. A bit of a squeeze underground, but if it was big enough for cloud giants, the cavern would suit him just fine.

She quickly quickly transferred the weapon Hillock had been holding into one of the bags on his back, and added the giant's gear, and anything the dwarf had that was worth salvaging, as well. Otrera shrunk her her long-handled axe down to the size of an arrow and slid it into her bag.

Turning to the dwarves, Otrera nodded. "Thank you, and good luck. The way out should be clear. Don't stop until you're miles away."

Almost as an afterthought, she sends mentally to her colleagues.

*I'm hearing three distinct voices in my head. Same for all of you?*

Otrera grows into a shadowy spectral figure. She murmurs in a hollow voice.

"Big ghosty man now, Hillock."

With a slow nod, the big elephant shrinks down, becoming a similarly transparent figure. Otrera uses her newfound abilities to scan the room for any possible sources of the voices, and then took up a rearguard as the group joined up with their colleagues.

Show
    Otrera and Hillock get the captured gear stored, and then transform into Dread Wraiths, so as to be able to scan the room with 60' lifesense. On the assumption that they don't spot anything new, they'll wait for Mulcri and the dwarves to exit and then drift out behind, side by side.
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-01-29 at 10:38 PM.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

The lifesense scan reveals no results.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Raodan responds "Yes, three distinct voices, talking gibberish, nothing seems to stop them. Let us go to this forbidden room and find what we can. I will go look now."

Spoiler
    Show

Move silently - (1d20+34)[48]
    Hide - (1d20+54)[73]

Search - (1d20+29)[46] (for any doors to this room)
    Disable device - (1d20+31)[38] (if i find a trap)
    Open lock - (1d20+31)[35] (if the door is locked)

Raodan
    HP's: 117/101
    AC: 37
    T: 29 FF: 29
    Saves- F: +12 R: +24 W: +20
    Effects: Heroe's Feast (16 temp HP, immunity to poison/fear for 12 hours & +1 morale to attack and will saves), Extended Superior Invisibility (44 minutes), True Seeing (170 minutes), Telepathic Bond (170 minutes), Mass Resist Energy, Fire 30 (~180 minutes), Foresight (180 minutes?), Ghost Mind (caster level check DC 38 vs scrying), Ghost Sight (see invisible and ethereal), trapfinding.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground

Humorous gibberish I find it to be. But yes, most certainly 3 voices. what or who ever it is went from some kind of insults to just plain illogical statements.

29. - Top - End - #149

It started out as a single voice making nonsensical statements. Then it was three nonsensical voices. Lastly, the voices seemed at least somewhat threatening, but in a non-specific way. Agreed, let's move on.

Tessa will grab the rest of the loot from here, she should be able to carry it all long enough to load it onto Hillock.

30. - Top - End - #150

"At first one voice, now three. Chaotic statements trying to instill fear or just plain rubbish. Remember the council said there is an agent of Nocticula involved stealing some of the product. Maybe this is the agent's doing to foil our efforts to cut off his supply too."

At the intersection Sora sees that the two groups of dwarves have left then onward to the room group 2 had handled. She sends the elementals to earth glide ahead with instructions to attack from the enemy's rear if there is a fight. Sora herself then follows the reunited group minus their scout towards the forbidden room.
    Show