New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Good Strikes Back (IC)

The party follows the tunnel to the forbidden room, it bends like an elbow, clearly to go around the refining/elevator room. At the end of the tunnel, the group comes to a door, with writing on it. The writing is in Dwarven, and says simply Forbidden
    #GoreMutualarejerks

2. - Top - End - #152
    Titan in the Playground

Raodan finds no traps and no locks to open or disable.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Since we're all together here and there may be an ice devil around. Take this protection too." Sora quietly casts Mass Resist Energy (Cold) on the party and elementals while the others do their own thing.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    The party has Fire and Cold resist 30 from Sora. The elementals just have the Resist Cold spell. SL4.
    Spoiler: Games
    Show
    Keston Tornok for GF's AoW
    Loradralsornux for GF's Savage Tide
    Avakuss for kinem's Planescape: Center of All
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)
    Ganzak for Toliudar's Coming Unstuck

Extended Signature - More detailed game/character notes

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera and Hillock

One of the transparent forms nods her gratitude when Sora adds another layer of protection to the group.

*Unless you want help in getting through this door, Hillock and I will head through the ground, to see if we can get us all an advance sense of how many opponents might be within.*

Joining hands, the duo slide down into the ground, moving around Sora's elementals and under the floor of the room ahead.

Show
    Otrera will be trying to get close enough to the floor surface to be able to read the room with her 60' lifesense and 60' blindsight. She will mentally report what she senses back to her colleagues.

"We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

5. - Top - End - #155

Sora nods to the incorporeal undead as much as it pains and disgusts her. As they go to scout, a huge earth elemental rises from the ground, answering the warmage's call. With a few moment's thought, two arcane symbols on her robe fades.

Show
    Activating Vest of the Archmagi to regain two level 9 slots.
    Show
    Sgt Ladaran Xiloscient for MrAbdiel's D&D-Day: The Ballad of Echo Company (WW2 with D&D Rules)

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

Mulcri will use her Third Eye to peek behind the door before the group proceeds.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

The room appears to be empty of life, however there are a lot of bones and garbage.
    (I have given scouting results to Toliudar so we should probably wait for her report)
    #GoreMutualarejerks

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera

After a moment, Otrera sends back through the mental link.

*I sense no life forms in the room. There is, however, a very, very large worm coiled under the chamber. Very likely, it will rise up to strike at anything that walks across the floor.

*Sora, can your pet elementals attack while they move through the earth? They might be able to dispatch this beast without any of the combat reaching the surface.*
    Last edited by Toliudar; 2022-01-31 at 02:27 PM.
    "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

(I just want to point out that the purple worm is very much alive and very much lurking)
    #GoreMutualarejerks

10. - Top - End - #160
    Titan in the Playground

Raodan messages the group "The door is unlocked, and untrapped, as far as I can tell."

Spoiler
    Show

Raodan
    HP's: 117/101
    AC: 37
    T: 29 FF: 29
    Saves- F: +12 R: +24 W: +20
    Effects: Heroe's Feast (16 temp HP, immunity to poison/fear for 12 hours & +1 morale to attack and will saves), Extended Superior Invisibility (34 minutes), True Seeing (160 minutes), Telepathic Bond (160 minutes), Mass Resist Energy, Fire and Cold 30 (~170 minutes), Foresight (170 minutes?), Ghost Mind (caster level check DC 38 vs scrying), Ghost Sight (see invisible and ethereal), trapfinding.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

11. - Top - End - #161

Sora

"Gigantic worm? ... I'd rather use one elemental to get the worm to surface then we can blast it from here through the doorway. We should make short work of it. Didn't happen to notice what type it was?"
    Show

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera

Otrera sends back a mental shrug.

*I can't see it, only sense its shape. However, the only things I know of that are that size and shape are sandworms and purple worms. Either way, let me know when your elemental will break the surface. Perhaps Hillock and I can strike from below without getting in the way of the blasting above.*

13. - Top - End - #163

"Fights within the ground is not a strong point for me. We won't be able to help you if there's a problem down there. I'll position most of the elementals in the ceiling. If opening the door doesn't wake up the worm I'll have one elemental drop down onto the floor to get things started. Raodan, would you do the honors of opening the door in thirty seconds please? I'd suggest you and Tessa stay on either side of the door in case it tries coming this way. Atalanta and I can attack from here. Tinac, guard our rear?"

Sora has the large earth elementals earth glide to the ceiling of the next room while the larger one stays to defend the group if needed.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Raodan opens the door and the group sees what is almost like a combination garbage dump, graveyard for the complex. Nothing happens when the door opens, the group can vaguely see a door on the far end of the chamber, which likely leads back to the last dwarven chamber, the one that was empty. Seeing as that was not enough to get the worm's attention, Sora has one of her elementals drop to the ground and seconds later the now identified as a purple worm bursts out of the ground and with one huge gulp, swallows the elemental whole before it even knew what was about to happen.

ROUND ONE
    Raodan and Tessa were positioned at the door (according to Sora's instructions. They are 100 feet away from the worm.
    Atalanta and Sora are in the doorway, positioned for blasting or moving, the worm is 100 feet away from them as well.
    Mulcri and Tinac are one rank behind Atalanta and Sora, able to take a ranged shot if they wish, but if they push past Sora and Atalanta (provided that neither of them move), they would like disrupt what they are doing, distance is basically 105 feet.
    Otrara and Hillock are still buried in the earth and can come up wherever they want, if they go straight up, they will be 60 feet away but in between Sora and the worm

Roll initiative and post action, there is no surprise round.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

Raodan opened the door, with a countdown from 5.

"...4, 5 Opening"

He watched in abject awe as the wurm devoured the elemental, and then in the flash of an eye, runs up to the beast, attempting to stagger the thing, so his companions can do what they do best.

Spoiler
    Show

Initiative - (1d20+14)[18]
    Move action: 40 towards wurm (using 1 charge from belt of battle to gain a bonus move action)
    Full round action: charge wurm (flying in the air, 5ft off the ground)
    Spoiler: Superior Invis
    Show

While invisible, the subject exudes no scent and is undetectable by scent, blindsense, tremorsense, and blindsight.
    Superior invisibility renders the recipient immune to detection by see invisibility, faerie fire, glitterdust, invisibility purge, and dust of appearance, although creatures under the effect of the spell can be detected by true seeing.

Charge - (1d20+31)[37] +4 if target is denied Dex
    Damage - (1d6+6)[9] & Sudden Strike - (11d6+4)[49]
    Fort Save DC damage dealt [58] or be staggered for one round

Raodan
    AC: 35 (-2 from charging)
    T: 27 FF: 27
    Effects: Heroe's Feast (16 temp HP, immunity to poison/fear for 12 hours & +1 morale to attack and will saves), Extended Superior Invisibility (34 minutes), True Seeing (160 minutes), Telepathic Bond (160 minutes), Mass Resist Energy, Fire and Cold 30 (~170 minutes), Foresight (170 minutes?), Ghost Mind (caster level check DC 38 vs scrying), Ghost Sight (see invisible and ethereal), trapfinding.
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2022-02-01 at 01:09 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

16. - Top - End - #166

Sora had expected a beast of great size, but not how far away it was. The room was immense. With barely a thought she changes her mind on a spell that would reach. She points to a spot just past and above the worm. With an arcane word a swirling red pea sized bead streaks from her finger. At the designated spot, it erupts in vicious flame burning the purple worm.

Show
    Initiative (1d20+7)[12]

Fireball (SL3) with Improved Warmage Edge just past and above the worm so that if any colleagues were able to charge up to it the blast won't hit them.
    (19d6+44)[119] x 1.5 for Empower. Reflex DC 23 for half.

Might be worth tracking damage on the swallowed elemental in case we can kill the worm quick enough. DR 5/- and max hp.

EDIT: Forgot I can't do Empowered plus Improved Warmage Edge. Forget the Empowered. Just 119 damage.
    Last edited by Cavir; 2022-02-01 at 03:02 PM.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #167
    Bugbear in the Playground

That room is big. Bigger than she expected. But that doesn't matter to her.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Swift action: Activate Minor Shapeshift to give herself 19 temporary hit points again [Duration 5 rounds].
    Move action: Tessa will move 70 feet up, and off the left of the door so she doesn't block anyone else's line of sight.
    Standard action: Ready an action to strike the worm if it comes within reach.

I realize that the worm is probably stuck there and won't be able to hit Tessa anyway, but she doesn't really feel this encounter is worth expending spell slots on.
    Last edited by Aracor; 2022-02-04 at 04:33 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera and Hillock

Hand in hand, the pair of ghostly figures wait until the worm surges upward into the room. Once it does so, Otrera and Hillock float forward through the ground, PAST the point at which the worm emerged, and popping up well behind the worm as it struggles to digest the elemental.

Grimly sizing up the worm and the likelihood of the worm trying to eat them next, Otrera looks over at Hillock.

"If it tries to leave, hit it."

Show
    Otrera and Hillock will choose to go last in initiative. Otrera's AC is currently 43, and Hillock's is 31. They are incorporeal: not harmed by non-magical attacks, and magical attacks or effects have a

Double Move action: fly under the floor to a point 10' past the purple worm's position and then fly up.
    Free action: talky talky.

AoO: if the purple worm tries to flee underground, or moves toward the rest of the group, both Otrera and Hillock will take attacks of opportunity on it.

Otrera AoO (versus Touch AC):
    Attack: (1d20+25)[38]
    Damage: (2d6)[3] plus they make a DC 20 fort save or take (1d8)[4] constitution drain

Hillock AoO (versus Touch AC - also ignores magical concealment and magical bonuses to AC on a successful hit):
    Attack: (1d20+29)[43]
    Damage: (2d6)[9] plus they make a DC 11 fort save or take (1d8)[1] constitution drain

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Mulcri will fly up and forward, hovering just below the ceiling so as to stay out of everyone's way. She will not strike for now, but will be ready to act if needed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Initiative: (1d20+14)[28]

Ready Action: If the worm tries to approach the back lines, Mulcri will use her Ring of the Forcewall to put a 10' square wall of force in its path (hopefully stopping a charge, but whatever works). One charge from the ring, so the wall will last two rounds.
    Last edited by Debatra; 2022-02-02 at 01:39 PM.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Thats a biig worm, real big. I can say, I have seen some interesting things, but that is a first for me. i don't even think it swallowed just *gulp* and that elemental was gone. Tinac hefts hsi mace and makes his way closer to the intimidatingly large purple worm.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Initiative order
    Show
    Tessa, Mulcri, Raodan, Sora, Otrara, Hillock, Worm, Tinac

The party goes into action against the giant worm. Tessa and Mulcri move into better attack positions, but hold shots for now. Raodan deals a punishing blow to the beast that deals damage but doesnt seem slow it down. Sora's fireball likewise connects with the giant worm, but the creature just seems to soak up the damage and keep on going. Otrara and Hillock make their appearance from behind and both of them deal even more damage to it. Finally the worm is able to retaliate, it bites at where it thinks Raodan is, based on where it got hit from, but misses. Hillock is not so lucky, getting hit by the worms stinger tail (6 points damage but a poison Fort save at DC35). The swallowed elemental tries to batter its way out, but blunt weapons are useless inside the worm. Tinac and Atalanta hold their position

Second Round
    Otrara, Hillock and Raodan actively engaged on worm. Tessa in position to engage worm, Mulcri and Sora able blast at will.

Hillock, FORT save vs. poison.
    Everyone else, another WILL save (even the ones who failed the original WILL save

In their heads, everyone hears voices again
    Flee while you can the worm will eat you all
    Kill each other, the worm will spare the winner
    Plop, plop, fizz, fizz, oh what a relief it is
    Last edited by MikelaC1; 2022-02-05 at 07:16 PM.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

22. - Top - End - #172
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tessa grimly moves in and prepares to hack away at the worm.

This creature has impressive bulk! Let's see if we can cut it down to size a bit more.

In response to the voices: Yes, yes - doom, destruction, and if we continue you'll probably turn our pantaloons inside out and put them on our heads! It will take more than silly words to stop us.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Tessa moves in using her Bounding Assault feat to prevent attacks of opportunity.
    She'll move in 45 feet to where she can reach it, attack, then dart back out 25 feet so it cannot reach her (in total, she should be 30 feet away from it).
    Free action: Activate Arcane Strike, sacrificing a first level spell slot
    Attack 1: (1d20+36)[38]
    Critical confirmation if necessary: (1d20+36)[41]
    Damage: (2d6)[10] + 16 + (1d6)[3] Swift Surge + (1d4)[2] Arcane Strike + (1d6)[6] Cold
    Attack 2: (1d20+31)[35]
    Critical confirmation if necessary: (1d20+31)[42]
    Damage: (2d6)[8] + 16 + (1d6)[5] Swift Surge + (1d4)[4] Arcane Strike + (1d6)[1] Cold

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera and Hillock

The great worm's vicious stinger swishes through Hillock's form, causing him to flinch instinctively, even though the strike doesn't make contact.

Both Otrera and Hillock lunge forward in response, their spectral hands plunging into the worm's side.

Show
    Since they came up behind the worm, they should be providing flanking with anyone attacking from the front.

Otrera Touch attack: (1d20+26)[42]
    Incorporeal Touch Damage: (2d6)[9]
    Fort save DC 26 or take (1d8)[8] Constitution Drain

Hillock touch attack: (1d20+31)[47]
    Incorporeal touch damage: (2d6)[2]
    Fort save DC 21 or take (1d8)[8] constitution drain

24. - Top - End - #174

Sora

Sora strides into the room, shifting a little to the left to get out of the line of fire from Atalanta. The huge earth elemental follows its summoner. Sora raised an open hand and it fills with an orb of white flames. With a slight flick it streaks off at the purple worm.

On her command the other four large earth elementals drop from the ceiling landing at various sides around the worm and add to the beat down.

Show
    40' forward, shifting left, putting me 65' away. Cast Orb of Fire, Lesser (range 70').
    Ranged touch: (1d20+16)[24]
    (14d8+44)[122] Fire. No save/SR.

Elemental L1 is in the purple worm. L2-L5 drop down to the ground and attack. DR 5/- for falling damage if any.

L2 attack: (1d20+15)[18] (+6 BAB, +7 STR, -1 size, +1 Earth Mastery, +2 flank)
    Damage: (2d8+7)[15]

L3 attack: (1d20+15)[25]
    Damage: (2d8+7)[18]

L4 attack: (1d20+15)[33]
    Damage: (2d8+7)[19]

L5 attack: (1d20+15)[33]
    Damage: (2d8+7)[20]
    Show

25. - Top - End - #175

Atalanta

Can't someone stop those voices?! She wasn't sure if she said it out loud or through the telepathic link. The reality was both.

Kill each other Atalanta's initial bead was drawn to Sora's back but the archer caught herself before launching a whole volley of energy arrows at the purple worm. Her focus, and thus her aim, were off but how could one miss a target that large and slow?

Show
    Improved Rapid Shot with Woodland Archer (shots after a miss are at +4 to hit) vs favored enemy: Magical Beasts.

Will save of 33 in OOC.

Using the stats I can figure out, though they don't get as high as on the sheet. Happy to get corrected.

Attack: (1d20+27)[30] (+18 BAB, +8 DEX, +4 GMW, +1 Heroes Feast, +1 Enemy Spirit Pouch, -5 Voices)
    Damage: (2d6+15)[26] (+4 GMW, +2 FE, +3 Imp FE, +4 Hunting, +2 STR)

Attack: (1d20+27)[41]
    Damage: (2d6+15)[26]

Attack: (1d20+22)[33]
    Damage: (2d6+15)[23]

Attack: (1d20+17)[32]
    Damage: (2d6+15)[22]

Attack: (1d20+12)[15]
    Damage: (2d6+15)[23]

Show

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Raodan frowned, this beast was truly remarkable, and will be a notable notch on his record after he had slain it. He took his blade and prepared to deliver several blows to the thing, hoping to slow it's advance somewhat.

Spoiler
    Show

Full attack

Attack 1 - (1d20+33)[38]
    Damage - (1d6+6)[12] & Sudden Strike - (11d6+4)[41]

Attack 2 - (1d20+28)[48]
    Damage - (1d6+6)[12] & Sudden Strike - (11d6+4)[38]

Attack 2 confirm - (1d20+28)[34]
    Damage - (1d6+6)[10]

Attack 3 - (1d20+23)[43]
    Damage - (1d6+6)[11] & Sudden Strike - (11d6+4)[52]

Attack 3 confirm - (1d20+23)[40]
    Damage - (1d6+6)[12]

Raodan
    AC: 37
    T: 29 FF: 29
    Last edited by BelGareth; 2022-02-08 at 10:49 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Mulcri moves forward, flying just below the ceiling to stay out of the way of their group's back lines, and extends her invisible hand toward the large beast.

"The voices are actually getting a little better for me. How is everyone else?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Move within 30' of the Worm and use Inspire Fear (Su). Will 16 or be Shaken for one round.

Show

28. - Top - End - #178
    Titan in the Playground

The party continues the work of hacking on the worm. All of Tessa's hits connect, causing huge gouts of blood to spurt forth, followed by Mulcri's spell, the effect of which is questionable. The point is rendered moot by Raodan's devastating assault, all the hits connecting and causing the worm to collapse, motionless. Sora and Atalanta are able to hold their attacks.

The voices seem to subside for now, still murmuring in the background. Mulcri now has a DC of 33 to cast a spell, while Atalanta has -1 on her attacks.
    #GoreMutualarejerks

29. - Top - End - #179

Sora actually cuts her spellcasting in time as the worm falls while the elementals are still mid-fall. "Nicely done. Would someone cut a hole for the elemental to get out please?"

"A quick search of the room might prove useful."
    She orders the elementals to search for arms or armors while she searches using Detect Magic. It's not meant to be an exhaustive search.

Is there only one other door? Figured there would be two more.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

Otrera

Otrera involuntarily flinches back as the worm collapses quickly in the face of the group's concerted assault. She signals for Hillock to remain where and as he is, then steps back into pit fiend form in order to slash an opening in the worm for the elemental to escape. She quickly returns to her insubstatial state.

*We'll check out the door. Raordan, would you care to join us?*

The pair of wraiths drifts over to the closed door, attuning their unusual senses to watch for anything that might be coming.

Show
    Otrera and Hillock use 60' tremorsense and 60' lifesense to scan for anything that might be coming from further inside the mine.

In case it's relevant: Otrera spot: (1d20+41)[54]
    Hillock spot: (1d20+21)[28]