New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life: 2022 edition!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    I did, and it talks about magic items, and I wanted to know if that also applied to psionic items because transparency or something.
    Then it's not really a thread rules question, it's just a regular game rules question, to which the answer is you can't do it.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Then it's not really a thread rules question, it's just a regular game rules question, to which the answer is you can't do it.
    Oof. Well in that case I'm taking another level of Erudite, and retraining something to Practiced Manifester. I'm still retraining my feats from when I was trying to go ScM, but my important feats are now Sculpt Self, Practiced Manifester, and Heighten Power. Honestly, I don't even remember all of my feats at this point, but I know how many total I should have, so I'll just keep retraining every level until all of my feats are ones that I'll use in my current build.

For Sculpt Self, I'm getting anything that grants me at-will spells, which will be useful for fueling stuff with Mind Mage, unless I can sculpt minor schemas, in which case I might go for a few of those for some infusions.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

For Sculpt Self, I'm getting anything that grants me at-will spells, which will be useful for fueling stuff with Mind Mage
    Mind mage doesn't work that way, I'm afraid.

4. - Top - End - #34

Devil

Mind mage doesn't work that way, I'm afraid.
    To clarify, I was referring to the Compensation and Focus of Discipline abilities, which let you expend spell levels to lower the power point cost of powers. If that's what you're saying doesn't work, I don't see why it shouldn't. Also psi-spell feats, I guess.
    Last edited by Kalkra; 2022-01-02 at 03:41 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

To clarify, I was referring to the Compensation and Focus of Discipline abilities, which let you expend spell levels to lower the power point cost of powers. If that's what you're saying doesn't work, I don't see why it shouldn't. Also psi-spell feats, I guess.
    A spell or power from a magic item doesn't count as a spell or power that you actually have and can cast. You can't expend a scroll in place of a spell slot, for example, or use a power stone to qualify for the 2nd level powers prerequisite of cerebremancer.

6. - Top - End - #36

Devil

A spell or power from a magic item doesn't count as a spell or power that you actually have and can cast. You can't expend a scroll in place of a spell slot, for example, or use a power stone to qualify for the 2nd level powers prerequisite of cerebremancer.
    Yeah, but Sculpt Self grants the ability to actually cast the spell.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but Sculpt Self grants the ability to actually cast the spell.
    An easy mistake to make, but no, they're Su abilities, or, for a custom one, the same as the item it's based on.

8. - Top - End - #38

Devil

An easy mistake to make, but no, they're Su abilities, or, for a custom one, the same as the item it's based on.
    The same line that says that they're (Su) abilities also explicitly calls it spellcasting, and in the examples it says that you're casting the spell. Even if it's a (Su) ability, it's still spellcasting. Besides, the MMV said that spellcasting was an (Ex) ability, so I don't think you can really say that spellcasting can't be a (Su) ability. I agree that it's kinda weird, and probably a mistake on the author's part, but that doesn't mean it's not spellcasting.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "the same as the item it's based on". First of all, I wasn't able to find any indication of what type of ability magic items use. In some places they're called spells, and in some places they're called spell-like, but in neither case did it seem like that was referring to the acual technical ability type. Also, I don't know why you would assume that custom prestige race alterations would be different than the examples given, considering that they are just examples. Like, if I spent 4,480 xp to cast Flame Shield once per day as a 7th-level sorcerer as part of the Flame Focus (although a sorcerer would need to be level 8 to cast a 4th-level spell), why would that be different than if I spent 4,480 xp to cast Flame Shield once per day as a 7th-level sorcerer as part of a custom focus?

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

The same line that says that they're (Su) abilities also explicitly calls it spellcasting, and in the examples it says that you're casting the spell. Even if it's a (Su) ability, it's still spellcasting. Besides, the MMV said that spellcasting was an (Ex) ability, so I don't think you can really say that spellcasting can't be a (Su) ability. I agree that it's kinda weird, and probably a mistake on the author's part, but that doesn't mean it's not spellcasting.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "the same as the item it's based on". First of all, I wasn't able to find any indication of what type of ability magic items use. In some places they're called spells, and in some places they're called spell-like, but in neither case did it seem like that was referring to the acual technical ability type. Also, I don't know why you would assume that custom prestige race alterations would be different than the examples given, considering that they are just examples. Like, if I spent 4,480 xp to cast Flame Shield once per day as a 7th-level sorcerer as part of the Flame Focus (although a sorcerer would need to be level 8 to cast a 4th-level spell), why would that be different than if I spent 4,480 xp to cast Flame Shield once per day as a 7th-level sorcerer as part of a custom focus?
    Well, you're welcome to try it.

10. - Top - End - #40

Devil

Well, you're welcome to try it.
    Yeah, but you're the stand-in for the GM, so if you say it won't work then it won't work, regardless of whether or not it should work. That's why I was trying to convince you that it should work so that you'll say that it does work and it will work. I'm not actually trying it, because this whole thing is just a thought experiment, and the closest I can come to trying it is telling you that I'm doing it and having you tell me the result, so telling me that I'm welcome to try is kinda silly.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

It'll have to be regular human, I'm afraid.
    First, I disagree. Illumians are 100% humans. They have subtipe.
    Second, Human heritage, with Frail flaw.
    Spoiler: For purposes of clarity
    Show
    1109 is September, 11 - my birthday.

Ice for all and let no one be forgotten!
    Welcome to the Zinc Saucier XLIV: Ice-IX

Competition's medals.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by loky1109 View Post
    First, I disagree. Illumians are 100% humans. They have subtipe.
    Second, Human heritage, with Frail flaw.
    Thing is, it is you, except you get new capabilities (and disadvantages, potentially) by gaining access to a D&D class.

Now, I haven't personally met you yet, but I'm willing to bet good money that you weren't born with words around your head.

Granted, that also makes plenty of feats super problematic in this context (Bloodline feats, aberrant feats, etc), but if I was Troacctid I'd just ban those as well.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

13. - Top - End - #43
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Mystic Wanderer, a familiar would be nice... assuming 3.0 material is ok. If not, another level of Holt Warden.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    Thing is, it is you, except you get new capabilities (and disadvantages, potentially) by gaining access to a D&D class.

Now, I haven't personally met you yet, but I'm willing to bet good money that you weren't born with words around your head.

Granted, that also makes plenty of feats super problematic in this context (Bloodline feats, aberrant feats, etc), but if I was Troacctid I'd just ban those as well.
    A lot of those feats represent developing new powers or experiencing physical changes, so for the most part they make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Karmea View Post
    Mystic Wanderer, a familiar would be nice... assuming 3.0 material is ok. If not, another level of Holt Warden.
    3.0 material is fine where it's compatible. Some of it might not work properly, like 3.0 psionics. I don't think there should be any issue with mystic wanderer though.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

I'm really looking forward to taking snowrunner next year.

Troacctid, I don't know if this was ever clarified before, but does this thread go indefenitely? Will we be going into epic eventually?
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

16. - Top - End - #46

Happy New Year!

This year is level 6! Sticking with transmuter wizard. Keeping knowledge (arcana), linguistics, and spellcraft maxed out.

Spoiler: Transmuter 6
    Show
    Human Transmuter 6
    Init +2; Senses Perception +6
    DEFENSE
    AC 10, touch 10, flat-footed 10
    hp 26
    Fort +2, Ref +2, Will +5
    OFFENSE
    Speed 30 ft.
    Melee club +3 (1d6)
    Ranged none
    Arcane School Spell-like Abilities (CL 6th; concentration +9)
    6/day—telekinetic fist (1d4+3)
    Transmuter Spells Prepared (CL 6th; concentration +9)
    3rd--clairvoyance, dispel magic, fly (b), sleet storm
    2nd--bull's strength (b), detect thoughts, invisibility, levitate, protection from arrows
    1st--disguise self, endure elements, feather fall (b), mage armor, obscuring mist
    0 (at will)--detect magic, mage hand, mending, prestidigitation
    Opposition Schools: Enchantment, Necromancy

STATISTICS
    Str 10, Dex (11) 9, Con 11, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 9 (age-adjusted)
    Base Atk +3; CMB +3; CMD 13
    Feats: Brew Potion, Combat Casting, Craft Wand (w), Craft Wondrous Item, Scribe Scroll [b], Skill Focus (Spellcraft)
    Skills: Fly +9, Knowledge (arcana) +12, Knowledge (geography, history, local) +10, Linguistics +12, Perception +6, Spellcraft +16
    Traits: Classically Schooled, Reactionary
    Languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, Latin, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
    SQ arcane bond (weasel), physical enhancement +2

Alternatively, the secondary build reaches Psion (Telepath) 6. My hero dreams come true.

Spoiler: Telepath 6
    Show
    Human Psion (Telepath) 6
    Init +1; Senses Perception +6
    DEFENSE
    AC 9, touch 9, flat-footed 9 (-1 Dex)
    hp 31 (includes psionic body)
    Fort +2, Ref +1, Will +5
    OFFENSE
    Speed 30 ft.
    Melee club +3 (1d6)
    Ranged none
    Powers Known (CL 6th; concentration +9)
    3rd--body adjustment, dispel psionics, psionic blast, telekinetic force
    2nd--clairvoyant sense, cloud mind, concussion blast, defy gravity, read thoughts
    1st--empathic connection, inertial armor, mind link, mind thrust, slumber, vigor
    0 (at will)--conceal thoughts, detect psionics, far hand, psionic repair
    Power Points per day: 52

STATISTICS
    Str 10, Dex 9, Con 11, Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 9 (age-adjusted)
    Base Atk +3; CMB +3; CMD 12
    Feats: Autonomous, Combat Manifestation, Expanded Knowledge (2), Psionic Body, Psionic Talent
    Skills: Autohypnosis +11, Diplomacy +8, Knowledge (psionics) +14, Linguistics +9, Perception +6, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +13
    Traits: Focused Mind, Reactionary
    Languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, Italian, Latin, French, German, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
    SQ mental intrusion

edit: tweaked feats on build. add missing psi-power
    Last edited by El Dorado; 2022-12-05 at 01:28 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

I am a 7th lvl artificer now. If we were using shenanigans I would be building teleportation circles pulling them out of rune domains from divine champions. But shenanigans have been regularly shot down.

As a 7th lvl artificer I do have some fun things going on though. For starters I now have access to Raise Dead. Which is going to be handy if something final happens to a family member.

I have access to teleport (I did some teleport-y stuff before shenanigans were shot down, I do that back again). I am traveling a lot with teleport, which should help on the experience acquisition.

I also have access to lesser planar binding, I am not touching a succubi with a ten foot pole, nor anything intelligent with an agenda. So I am probably getting a Ravid, using it to animate "golems" or stuff you know, for funsies. I probably experiment a lot with it to make sure it's safe to use. Probably not going close to a Nightmare, fun as it would be to play around with astral projection.

At this level I can also craft umbral spies, from forge of war that are amazing. Of course I need the bones of a changeling. Yeah.
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

18. - Top - End - #48
    Bugbear in the Playground

Planetar

Human Contemplative Cleric 1 (Pact, Artifice)
    Standard Array: 10, 10, 10, 11, 11, 11
    Flaws: Shaky, Noncombatant
    Feats: Nimbus of Light, Gift of Discernment, Skill Focus (Writing), Craft Expertise
    Skills: Diplomacy 4, Craft (Writing) 4, Sense Motive 4, Knowledge (Religion) 4, Knowledge (Nobility & Royalty) 2, Knowledge (Geography 2) Knowledge (Local) 2, Speak Language (Spanish, Mandarin, French, Arabic, Hindi, Bengali)

In Races of Stone, Craft (Writing) check for a novel is specified at DC 15, with a value of 5-15 GP. If that's still the case IRL, I should be able to pump out a 15 GP novel's worth of material every two days - An Epic every week and change, or a Grand Epic every three months. It's a little hard to tell where to peg a Gold Piece IRL, but since I can write a good novel on commission in two days, I should be raking in money hand over fist soon enough.

Nimbus of Light is an exalted feat, but I'm fairly certain that I have never committed a D&D Evil Act besides lying, and it's not clear to me that lying is an Evil act from the various books. At any rate, Gift of Discernment should keep me from doing anything to accidentally screw myself out of my powers. The reason for picking it up, though, is that "All who look upon you know without a doubt that you are a champion of good and are favored by the powers of the Upper Planes" which is obviously something people tend to underestimate in a gaming environment where the upper planes semi-frequently put their thumb on the scale, but would be really really important IRL.

Sense Motive and Diplomacy should smooth my way through life.
    Vincent Omnia Veritas
    Bandwagon Leader of the Hinjo Fanclub

19. - Top - End - #49

Beholder

Another level of Chef from Duck and Roll Games' The Flavour Handbook.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

All right! I'll update this in a bit (at work now); but definitely progressing Eldritch Disciple.

From Last year: Cloistered Cleric 4/Warlock 1/Eldritch Disciple 1

Spoiler
    Show
    Nonelite array.
    Str: 8
    Dex 9
    Con 10
    Int 12
    Wis 13->14 (lvl 4 stat bump)
    Cha 11

Human
    Feats:
    1: Extra Turning (fuel for later), Able Learner (I like skill points)
    3: Augment Healing (less worrying about injuries)
    6: Extend Spell

Deity: Olidammara. Domains: Trickery, Luck, Knowledge (from Cloistered)
    Alignment: CN

Skills
    Level 1: Know (Religion) 4, Know (Planes) 4, Heal 4, Bluff 4, Diplomacy 4, Decipher Script 4, Concentration 4, UMD 2, Balance 2
    Level 2: Know (Religion) 5, Heal 5, Bluff 5, Diplomacy 5, Decipher Script 5, Concentration 5, Know (History) 2
    Level 3: Know (Religion) 6, Heal 6, Bluff 6, Diplomacy 6, Concentration 6, UMD 3, Balance 3, Know (History) 3
    Level 4: Know (Religion) 7, Heal 7, UMD 4, Know (History) 4
    Level 5: Know (religion) 8, Heal 8, UMD 5, Know (History) 5, Diplomacy 7, Bluff 7, Sense Motive 2
    Level 6: Know (Religion) 9, Heal 9, UMD 6, Balance 4

Invocation: Beguiling Influence, Call of the Wild.
    Gift of the Divine Patron: Fearful Glare.

So, new level: Eldritch Disciple 2.

Current build: Cloistered Cleric 4/Warlock 1/Eldritch Disciple 2.

+1 to Invocation/Cleric casting. No new Invocations this level, but I'm now casting as a Cleric5, meaning 3rd-level spells - and the big personal payoff for Cleric casting. I cast Remove Blindness/Deafness on myself (twice), and never have to worry about glasses or hearing aids again. Also, Remove Disease just as the Omicron variant starts to mess things up. Family and friends are now relatively safe. (Still only 1 3rd-level spell a day, but I can space it out if necessary).

New skill points; keeping up on Know (Religion), Heal, and UMD; and I now have the 5 ranks in Balance to not be flat-footed while balancing.

Level 7: Know (Religion) 10, Heal 10, UMD 7, Balance 5
    Last edited by Telonius; 2022-01-04 at 10:24 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Dwarf in the Playground

Bard for me, which makes me Bard 3/Ranger 1 in Pathfinder. Not a whole lot of new things this level, but I get an additional spell and an ability-score-increase (to be put into intelligence)

Currently playing:
    Gardin Farawyn Saskeon of Efteria, Elven Bard und Oracle
    Faire Camoretta, Halfling Monk.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Switching my plan up slightly... taking Craft Construct now, rather than forge ring. Building me some waxwork creature construct armor. Money should not be hard to come by as a 7th level caster. Greater Hat of Disguise to be someone else, do some charity healing to build a following (on a nice, organized list), charge folks who can afford it.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-01-03 at 12:50 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

I understand that custom items are not allowed, and that we must stick to published stuff. However, can I pay to increase the caster level of a published item? Having a Hat of Disguise with CL 4 seems a lot more convenient than one with CR 1, after all.

24. - Top - End - #54

Devil

Okay, having done a bit more research, it seems like the MIC refers to items granting SLAs, in which case they wouldn't be usable for meeting requirements (most of the time), but they still have levels so they should still be usable to fuel Mind Mage abilities.

Also, I never got an answer about whether or not you could sculpt a minor schema.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TalonOfAnathrax View Post
    I understand that custom items are not allowed, and that we must stick to published stuff. However, can I pay to increase the caster level of a published item? Having a Hat of Disguise with CL 4 seems a lot more convenient than one with CR 1, after all.
    "A creator can create an item at a lower caster level than her own, but never lower than the minimum level needed to cast the needed spell." Should be okay. Increase the cost proportionally.

Okay, having done a bit more research, it seems like the MIC refers to items granting SLAs, in which case they wouldn't be usable for meeting requirements (most of the time), but they still have levels so they should still be usable to fuel Mind Mage abilities.
    Both psi-spell feats and mind mage class features require you to expend spell slots or prepared spells. You cannot expend charges of magic items. This is in the general rules for psi-spellcasting.

Also, I never got an answer about whether or not you could sculpt a minor schema.
    Yes. It's in the FAQ.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2022-01-03 at 03:35 PM.

26. - Top - End - #56

Devil

Both psi-spell feats and mind mage class features require you to expend spell slots or prepared spells. You cannot expend charges of magic items. This is in the general rules for psi-spellcasting.
    Missed that. I guess I'll just have to use infinite pp tricks and a ton of pearls of power and make do with that. Fortunately, it doesn't really matter, because realistically speaking I'm never going to need to cast more than a few high-level spells in a single day. I was mostly just going Mind Mage for the dual progression, with the other stuff just being a nice bonus.

Realistically speaking, all I'm actually likely to ever need is a few skill-boosting spells to make enough money to get whatever I want. I'm not really sure when I'd ever cast anything else, except to make the occasional magic item.
    Last edited by Kalkra; 2022-01-03 at 04:08 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not sure why (or when) I chose what I chose. I’ll give more thought this year.
    Avatar of Vlad Taltos and Loiosh by Bradakhan

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Barstro View Post
    Not sure why (or when) I chose what I chose. I’ll give more thought this year.
    It was in 2016. The original post actually has pretty detailed reasoning! https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...6&postcount=55

29. - Top - End - #59
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

I've been plotting out my item crafting for the year (only spending half the year's XP, to leave some wriggle room for low XP gain + selling Fortifying Bedrolls for ridiculous sums to rich people who want what are effectively more hours added to their life). However in the process I ran into some RAW questions :
    1. MIC rules for stacking additional properties require me to keep track of the combined item's value, just in case I want to further improve them in the future. I'm determining a combined magic item's value by adding up the gp costs paid to create and improve it, and just doubling them. Is there a better method?
    2. The rules to improve existing items obviously weren't created with combined items in mind. It seems that to improve an item you pay the difference between that item's cost and the cost of the new upgrade, which would effectively make upgrades free if the cost of the item has been increased by adding new properties to it. I've used the common sense method of paying to improve it as if it weren't a combined item (see for example the cost I indicated for the Hat of Disguise CL increase, which uses the 1800gp base price and ignores the far larger cost of the added item properties). Is this required, or should I go full RAW and take the upgrade more cheaply by taking into account the added value from the other property? This is sort of pushing it, but if you're a RAW fanatic AFAIK it should work :D
    3. I won't lie: I find the idea of making Goggles of Night into sunglasses to be quite funny (sunglasses at night, unironically!) so I went with it.
    4. Is there a RAW way to make a magic item set without being able to buy a piece of the set? I'd love the raiment of the four, but the
    Last edited by TalonOfAnathrax; 2022-01-03 at 05:29 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by TalonOfAnathrax View Post
    I won't lie: I find the idea of making Goggles of Night into sunglasses to be quite funny (sunglasses at night, unironically!) so I went with it.
    I wouldn't recommend driving with only 60 feet of vision, but if you do, make sure you have the full Blues Brothers outfit and car.