New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life: 2022 edition!

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    As with any setting-specific requirement, it needs an appropriate adaptation, since there aren't any elves here. You'd need to earn the respect of a similarly long-lived, low-light-visioned people and be accepted into their culture. I'm not aware of any human culture that fits this bill.
    got it, thank you.

I don't suppose helping bowhead whales would count?
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

2. - Top - End - #122
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Windcaller View Post
    I read some comments about changing race, so is there any way I could be turned into an Elan?
    Another way to get immortality is to turn into a Killoren. This can be done with Shaper of Form if you're already a Fey. The easiest way to become a Fey is to take the Half-Fey Transition Class (it's explicitly a template you can obtain after birth, by meditating in Fey-touched places). IMO this is better than becoming an Elan, as Killoren is a better race and Half-Fey Transition Class grants wings and a pile of decent SLAs instead of Aberrant Paragon's fairly unpleasant requirements (follower of the Dragon Below, physical changes, becoming super creepy, etc).

My personal build just takes Wedded to History (and will get Steal Life at high level anyway). It seems like an easier way to defeat ageing.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by TalonOfAnathrax View Post
    Another way to get immortality is to turn into a Killoren. This can be done with Shaper of Form if you're already a Fey. The easiest way to become a Fey is to take the Half-Fey Transition Class (it's explicitly a template you can obtain after birth, by meditating in Fey-touched places). IMO this is better than becoming an Elan, as Killoren is a better race and Half-Fey Transition Class grants wings and a pile of decent SLAs instead of Aberrant Paragon's fairly unpleasant requirements (follower of the Dragon Below, physical changes, becoming super creepy, etc).

My personal build just takes Wedded to History (and will get Steal Life at high level anyway). It seems like an easier way to defeat ageing.
    Hey, if I don't get to be an elf friend just because there are no elves, you don't get to meditate in the places of the non-existent fey!

Seriously now, wedded to history would have to retroactively change your life. I considered it last year. Wouldn't work.

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

4. - Top - End - #124
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    got it, thank you.

I don't suppose helping bowhead whales would count?
    The class adaptation would have a different name then.

What is the word for friend in whale?

Edit:
    Hey, if I don't get to be an elf friend just because there are no elves, you don't get to meditate in the places of the non-existent fey!

Seriously now, wedded to history would have to retroactively change your life. I considered it last year. Wouldn't work.
    Fairy rings are a thing already.
    Last edited by Brackenlord; 2022-01-05 at 04:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Brackenlord View Post
    The class adaptation would have a different name then.

What is the word for friend in whale?
    אווווווו אוווו אווווווווווווו

Quote Originally Posted by Brackenlord View Post

Fairy rings are a thing already.
    Well, so are legends of elves, of course. The issue is whether or not this is actually a place of real fey magic. If that isn't an issue, I'll just go hang out with Orlando Bloom.
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; 2022-01-05 at 04:30 PM.

My judgments and medals!

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

It's not fey-touched places, it's sylvan places! Very different. We have lots of sylvan places.

The actual useful distinction though is that half-fey doesn't involve any interaction with fey or fey culture—lore-wise, it's just a fancy fairy version of ordinary sorcery. Most "Fancy Version of Sorcerer" classes are easy to adapt because they can represent simply developing that power as part of leveling up, just like sorcerer. Heir of Siberys and jade phoenix mage are good examples. No significant adaptation is needed because the only way to tell whether you have the bloodline for a powerful dragonmark or the spirit of a jade phoenix is to take the class, which then proves that you were eligible all along.

On the other hand, classes and feats that play heavily into a particular culture or draw from racial abilities, well, those are a little trickier. Ruathar, skypledged, stoneblessed, and cabinet trickster are examples of this.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

It's not fey-touched places, it's sylvan places! Very different. We have lots of sylvan places.

The actual useful distinction though is that half-fey doesn't involve any interaction with fey or fey culture—lore-wise, it's just a fancy fairy version of ordinary sorcery. Most "Fancy Version of Sorcerer" classes are easy to adapt because they can represent simply developing that power as part of leveling up, just like sorcerer. Heir of Siberys and jade phoenix mage are good examples. No significant adaptation is needed because the only way to tell whether you have the bloodline for a powerful dragonmark or the spirit of a jade phoenix is to take the class, which then proves that you were eligible all along.

On the other hand, classes and feats that play heavily into a particular culture or draw from racial abilities, well, those are a little trickier. Ruathar, skypledged, stoneblessed, and cabinet trickster are examples of this.
    I said WHALEFRIEND!

I mean, yeah, I get the logic, I wasn't being completely serious. You're the boss. I guess I'll just have to stop aging at 40, unless someone has a suggestion that would not involve changing my body, dying, doing evil stuff, etc.
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; 2022-01-05 at 05:13 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Some more thoughts on Half-Fey into Shaper of Form (Killoren) :
    1. This presumes that Shaper of Form doesn't interact with Templates. If you automatically lose your Template, I suppose you could argue the effect fails as you're no longer a Fey at the crucial moment. A slower method that loses fewer levels is simply getting high-level spells and using Steal Life + Greater Restoration (in my case, available at high levels through Supernatural Spell + Miracle). This lets you get younger without permanently harming anyone, and finding someone who will consent for a painful but ultimately harmless procedure is fairly easy when you have 9ths. There's bribery, high-level Divinations to find someone who'll enjoy it, etc. Regular use of Steal Life arguably makes you evil (evil magic emits Evil Radiation or something?) but that can be counteracted by regularly using Good magic.
    2. If Shaper of Form makes you lose your Half-Fey Template, it might not make you lose your Killoren race. If the effect is instantaneous and you lose the Half-Fey Template the moment you become a normal Killoren, you don't lose your new race and immortality as you don't need to constantly qualify for it now that the instantaneous effect is over.
    3. If Shaper of Form makes you lose your Templates and this breaks qualification and makes the process fail, another way to get the Fey type would be to do a Bonding Ritual to craft a Wish item. Your main constraint here would be the first post's rules regarding your ability to stockpile XP (you need enough to make the bonded item in one go), but that's doable after a few years. The easiest item to get seems to be a Luck Blade with 3 wishes. This does sort of make Shaper of Form useless though - just use the Wishes to turn into a Killoren and call it a day.

But honestly, the biggest obstacle to Shaper of Form is the story prerequisite. If Troacctid didn't seem fine with everyone being visited by mysterious spirits of form, I wouldn't expect this sort of scheme to work. But she does, so why not? It's a cool PrC!

A young immortal is still immortal! Some of the Wedded to History descriptions don't necessarily mean you're thousands of years old. See this text from the "Survivor" one: "Too weak, too slow, too unfit. You have plowed through the decades or even centuries with an uncanny fortitude". This could literally be true of a very healthy twenty year-old!
    Last edited by TalonOfAnathrax; 2022-01-05 at 05:28 PM.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

I said WHALEFRIEND!

I mean, yeah, I get the logic, I wasn't being completely serious. You're the boss. I guess I'll just have to stop aging at 40, unless someone has a suggestion that would not involve changing my body, dying, doing evil stuff, etc.
    As mentioned above, Savage Species has rules for changing races. Specifically, there's the Ritual of Unlearning which could turn you into an elf at the cost of 7,000 gp and one class level. I'm not actually sure how the class level thing would work exactly, but it seems like the next time you would level up, instead you turn into an elf. The ritual requires a 7th-level caster, which we'll have some of in a year or two. It's not clear if you can do the ritual on yourself. There's also the Ritual of Vitality which costs some xp, but takes effect immediately. Also, at much higher levels you can change your species with Wish, and potentially even gain only some characteristics of the desired race, although that gets iffier RAW-wise. Also, there's Reincarnate, which in addition to being able to turn you into some longer-lived races (plus whatever is in the "Other" category) resets you to young adult age. Of course, it doesn't work on people who died of old age, so when you get old have somebody murder you, then Reincarnate you.

Actually, the whole "old age" thing always bothered me. Do people in D&D just drop dead when they hit their maximum age? Because age doesn't actually kill people in real life, it just makes it easier for other things to kill them.

I know you said you didn't want to change your body or die, but changing into an elf is a pretty minor change, and is dying in order to be reincarnated really that bad?
    Last edited by Kalkra; 2022-01-05 at 06:00 PM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    I know you said you didn't want to change your body or die, but changing into an elf is a pretty minor change, and is dying in order to be reincarnated really that bad?
    Yes. I'd rather be forty than change into an elf, and reincarnate and similiar magic doesn't by itself answer questions of identity and self when divorced from the cosmological context of D&D. However, keeping this discussion going might at some point steer into forbidden subjects, so we'll have to stop it here.

Thanks for your help!

My judgments and medals!

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

In 3.5, I'll continue to advance in factotum. Level 6 factotum after having retrained last year from bard to factotum gets me... a +1 to BAB and Reflex saves.

Wow.

Next year should be nicer at least? Really, two years from now is 3rd level spells and Cunning Surge, I can think of few levels that are more exciting. But they can't all be dramatic. Skills wise, I think I continue to focus on knowledge, social, and stealth skills heavily. Probably take Knowledge Devotion as the feat for the level: I've never been a huge fan of the infinite Font Of Inspirations, so we'll live on what the Factotum gives us naturally here.

EDIT: For some reason I thought 3.5 did allow for retraining, all of that is delayed by another year. Ah well. Probably more excited about the Pathfinder build anyway: less fiddly bits and a clear goal.

In Pathfinder (and I have to specify Pathfinder 1e, now, huh), continuing on the bard levels. Bard 6 gets me another second level spell known: Alter Self, Gallant Inspiration,and Detect Thoughts seems like a good array at this point: Glitterdust comes to mind as the fourth, here, adding some ability to blind, flee, and deal with anybody invisible who's decided to do anything rash. The more important things to pick up here are class features: the class offers access to Suggestion, now, and I also get a Versatile Performance to add another set of skills to my repertoire.

With last year's goal being a home by the sea and taking up gardening, I think I'd have managed to convince enough fools to part with their unneeded money (I'm not cruel, I won't steal from those who need it) to get someplace nice. Maybe start to expand that plan a bit, make a nice bed and breakfast to be a neutral zone for folks who've also got some levels under their belt. I can't enforce that by strength of arms, mind, but a neutral ground is important and you don't want to tick off the wizard's second or third best friend. And I am damn charming.
    Last edited by Eldest; 2022-01-05 at 06:43 PM.
    LGBTA+itP

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Is cunning surge really that important in day to day life? I guess it matters if one of the high level casters here decides to hunt you down for some reason.

I like the idea of a neutral zone. A place for all the power hungry folk here to meet up and avoid blowing the world up.

I'll just stay here, hanging out in the wild with my wolf buddies and casting goodberry to feed those who need it and cure minor wounds at the ER. Probably saved a lot of car crash victims by now.

Aaaaand now I'm sad.

My judgments and medals!

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Is cunning surge really that important in day to day life? I guess it matters if one of the high level casters here decides to hunt you down for some reason.
    It's useful any time you are in a hurry. Goes well in football, rugby, hockey....
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Here I go, better late than never. I'm just curious about how it would work for me to add spells to my spellbook. And could I succeed researching spells not from my class list? I'm a Storm Domain Wizard, so I'm considering learning some exotic spells with the air descriptor. And maybe, after many many years, researching an arcane version of Tornado Blast (from XPH).

Complacent Human (+2 Int), 0 XP
    Wizard 1 (What else can I say? Wizards are awesome.)
    13 Str
    10 Dex
    11 Con
    14 Int
    8 Wis
    7 Cha

Wizard class features:
    *Domain Wizard: Storm Domain (UA)
    -Familiar: Cat (6 Int, Empathic Link, Share Spells, grants Alertness, Improved Evasion, +1 Natural Armor)
    -Scribe Scroll (Feat)
    Spells
    -Cantrips: 3
    -1st: 1+1+D
    Spellbook (16/100):
    -Cantrips: Detect Magic, Read Magic, Mage Hands, Message, Light, Amanuensis, Ghost Sound, Detect Poison, Silent Portal, Ray of Frost(domain)
    -1st: Obscuring Mist(domain), Comprehend Languages, Endure Elements, Scholar's Touch, Master's Touch, Sleep

Feats/Flaws
    -Flaw: Pathetic (With the nonelite array, I think this will be useful. And lowering my charisma will turn from "slightly arkward around strangers" to "complete social failure".)
    -Flaw: Inattentive (I'm already quite inattentive IRL. And seems like this will get even worse!)
    -Bonus: Able Learner (I'll probably multiclass in the future)
    -Bonus: Power Attack (Gishes are cool.)
    -Level 1: Combat Casting (Yes, Abjurant Champion)
    -Wizard 1: Scribe Scroll

4 HP (1d4+0)
    Fortitude: +0 (0 base, +0 Con)
    Reflex: +0 (0 base, +0 Dex)
    Will: +1 (2 base, -1 Wis)

BAB: +0
    Grapple: +1 (+0 BAB, +1 Str)
    Attacks:
    -Dagger(melee): +1 to hit, 1d4+1 damage
    -Dagger(ranged): -2 to hit, 1d4+1 damage

Initiative: +0 (+0 Dex)
    Languages: Portuguese, English (those I already know), German, Italian (bonus languages based on my Int)

Skills
    -Concentration: +4 (4 ranks, +0 Con) (+4 when casting defensively)
    -Knowledge (History): +6 (4 ranks, +2 Int)
    -Knowledge (Local): +6 (4 ranks, +2 Int)
    -Spellcraft: +6 (4 ranks, +2 Int)
    -Move Silently: +3 (0 ranks, +0 Dex, +3 familiar)
    -Listen: -5 (0 ranks, -1 Wis, -4 flaw) (+2 when familiar is within arms reach)
    -Spot: -5 (0 ranks, -1 Wis, -4 flaw) (+2 when familiar is within arms reach)
    Last edited by Windcaller; 2022-01-05 at 10:47 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ettin in the Playground

Not at all, though it'd be neat to be able to pull off a quick burst of movement every, iunno, 5 minutes or so. However, I'm running on the assumption that by now, I've run into evidence that other people are also getting similar treatments, and power-gaming wizards out to take the world are possible now. Might as well be prepared.

But yeah it's mostly going to be a cool party trick.

I like the idea of a neutral zone. A place for all the power hungry folk here to meet up and avoid blowing the world up.
    Yeah, seems the best way to defuse stuff. Nothing wrong with your plan, though I'm not sure why you'd want to go fully in the wilds. I like my internet.
    LGBTA+itP

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Isn't this a little premature? Right now, even the most powerful spellcaster PC out there is still relatively negligible when compared to the importance and influence of a major government of big corporation. Unless there's an optimized Diplomancer in these threads?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    EDIT: For some reason I thought 3.5 did allow for retraining, all of that is delayed by another year. Ah well. Probably more excited about the Pathfinder build anyway: less fiddly bits and a clear goal.
    It does allow retraining, just not rebuilding.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2022-01-06 at 03:36 AM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Complacent Human (+2 Int), 0 XP
    Wizard 1 (What else can I say? Wizards are awesome.)
    13 Str
    10 Dex
    11 Con
    14 Int
    8 Wis
    7 Cha

Feats/Flaws
    -Flaw: Pathetic (With the nonelite array, I think this will be useful. And lowering my charisma will turn from "slightly arkward around strangers" to "complete social failure".)
    -Flaw: Inattentive (I'm already quite inattentive IRL. And seems like this will get even worse!)
    -Bonus: Able Learner (I'll probably multiclass in the future)
    -Bonus: Power Attack (Gishes are cool.)
    -Level 1: Combat Casting (Yes, Abjurant Champion)
    -Wizard 1: Scribe Scroll
    Not sure where the +2 to int is coming from...

If you're going gish, you might wanr ro consider the wizard ACF from UA, replacing your scribe scroll and metamagic feats for fighter bonus feats. That is, unless you have a reason to really want scribe scroll...

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Nothing wrong with your plan, though I'm not sure why you'd want to go fully in the wi×+lds. I like my internet.
    Well, not fully in the wild. I like the internet, sure, but believe it or not I like my family even more

But I am an outside person, I like spending a lot of time alone traveling in nature, and a total of +6 to survival, cold endurance, woodland stride and the knowledge I hace spells to keep me alive if I really get in trouble - that's reason enough to go even further from the trodden path.

Just need the sky to open up again, and figure out how I'm getting 2 large wolves past airport security.

Isn't this a little premature? Right now, even the most powerful spellcaster PC out there is still relatively negligible when compared to the importance and influence of a major government of big corporation. Unless there's an optimized Diplomancer in these threads?
    First of all, preperation is good. Second of all:

A level 2 sorcerer with charm person, disguise self, and practical metamagic (extend) can start a war in many countries, for sure, and empty the vaults of any bank on the planet. Suggestion makes it far easier to take over power more permanently, and dominate person is only a couple of years away for some folks here. No one on earth has means to defend from Scrying/Clairvoyance. 2 castings of invisibility would be more than enough to succesfully assasinate most leaders and escape.

Zone of truth. Detect thoughts.

You don't need to be "D&D powerful" to really mess the world up. You don't need to be able to challenge actual armies. In a world without magic, a bit of Divination, Enchantment and Illusion is enogh to really mess things up, if you so wish.

A place to talk things our sounds... beneficial.

My judgments and medals!

19. - Top - End - #139

Mechanically speaking, Wedded to History doesn't make one immortal. It just gives you a background that may or may not have made you really old. Because the feat doesn't give you the Endless quality or any way to live forever, you'd just age normally and somehow have survived stasis or some such.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    As mentioned above, Savage Species has rules for changing races. Specifically, there's the Ritual of Unlearning which could turn you into an elf at the cost of 7,000 gp and one class level. I'm not actually sure how the class level thing would work exactly, but it seems like the next time you would level up, instead you turn into an elf. The ritual requires a 7th-level caster, which we'll have some of in a year or two. It's not clear if you can do the ritual on yourself. There's also the Ritual of Vitality which costs some xp, but takes effect immediately. Also, at much higher levels you can change your species with Wish, and potentially even gain only some characteristics of the desired race, although that gets iffier RAW-wise. Also, there's Reincarnate, which in addition to being able to turn you into some longer-lived races (plus whatever is in the "Other" category) resets you to young adult age. Of course, it doesn't work on people who died of old age, so when you get old have somebody murder you, then Reincarnate you.
    Reincarnate only works if someone else casts it and we don't really have any 7th level druids up and coming. Interestingly, the Ritual of Unlearning has no listed spell for it, just a caster level. Also, page 147 of Savage Species, under the Rituals header but before it discusses lists the rituals, specifies this...

A ritualist (a spellcaster versed in the conducting of one or more rituals) is necessary for the performance of any ritual. Player character spellcasters can learn how to conduct the rituals described below. A ritualist cannot conduct a ritual on herself."
    P.S. The quote also uses my favorite part about 3.5 writing: that the pronoun alternates between male and female frequently. In class descriptions, it matches the iconic's gender, but sometimes it's just random.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Not totally maxed out yet, but 7 ranks in Diplomacy, Beguiling Influence (for another +6), no plus or minus from Cha 11, and +2 from Bluff synergy. So +15 total. I turn an Indifferent person Friendly (or an Unfriendly person, Indifferent) automatically; I turn a Friendly person Helpful (or a Hostile person, Unfriendly) on a roll of 5 or better.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2022-01-06 at 11:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

I've been looking for a way to craft a dedicated wright for myself. Troacctid, could any of these work?
    1. Get an Artificer Cohort to make one for me.
    2. Use a Bonding Ritual to create a Golem Manual for a Dedicated Wright (golem manuals aren't custom items, but AFAIK there isn't one for dedicated wrights).
    3. I could take Craft Magic Arms and Armor at level 6. IIRC I take feats before getting class benefits (including CL), so I need CL 5 at level 5 to take Craft Magic Arms and Armor at level 6. My build at level 5 will be Sha'ir3/Durthan1/Cleric 1 - if the Knowledge domain grants me +1CL for divination spells (IIRC including my arcane divination spells), does that give me CL 5 for the purpose of qualifying for the feat? Then I could take Craft Construct at level 9 and make the Dedicated Wright at level 10, which I suppose is better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    Mechanically speaking, Wedded to History doesn't make one immortal. It just gives you a background that may or may not have made you really old. Because the feat doesn't give you the Endless quality or any way to live forever, you'd just age normally and somehow have survived stasis or some such.
    If I can't take Nymph's Kiss because I can't find a Nymph to kiss in real life, then the story effects of Wedded to History had better apply!

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Not totally maxed out yet, but 7 ranks in Diplomacy, Beguiling Influence (for another +6), no plus or minus from Cha 11, and +2 from Bluff synergy. So +15 total. I turn an Indifferent person Helpful (or an Unfriendly person, Indifferent) automatically; I turn a Friendly person Helpful (or a Hostile person, Unfriendly) on a roll of 5 or better.
    While that is indeed impressive, I was thinking about builds that can do "Hostile to Helpful as a standard action" and IIRC nobody is quite there yet. Right now, keeping in mind that magic has been publicly revealed by a bunch of posters and isn't a crazy outside-context-problem, a Diplomancer who tried to take control over a country could (and probably would) be identified and killed by normal security forces at some point. Or they'd kidnap and/or attempt to suborn the Diplomancer, unless the Diplomancer was clever about his approach and personal safety. They might succeed, of course, but it isn't a sure thing yet.
    Last edited by TalonOfAnathrax; 2022-01-06 at 11:57 AM.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Can we get cohorts? I thought only people here had levels.

Also: I took Nymph's kiss last year, and wasn't notified of any issues. Was that an illegal choice? Do I need to change the build?
    Last edited by H_H_F_F; 2022-01-06 at 12:09 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Can we get cohorts? I thought only people here had levels.

Also: I took Nymph's kiss last year, and wasn't notified of any issues. Was that an illegal choice? Do I need to change the build?
    Yes we can get cohorts. There was a bunch of discussion a few years back, and IIRC we were told that we could pick people who would get levels just like us, but they only level when our cohort level cap goes up.
    Oh, and unfortunately Dragon Cohort does not let us turn someone into a Dragon.

You have a build that took the feat and troacctid didn't say anything? Maybe I'm misremembering then, sorry.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Yes we can get cohorts. There was a bunch of discussion a few years back, and IIRC we were told that we could pick people who would get levels just like us, but they only level when our cohort level cap goes up.
    Oh, and unfortunately Dragon Cohort does not let us turn someone into a Dragon.

You have a build that took the feat and troacctid didn't say anything? Maybe I'm misremembering then, sorry.
    Oh, gotcha. Yeah, I remember reading something about turning people into dragons.

Yeah, I took Nymph's Kiss last year and there was no commentary on that. I guess without any prereqs I just assumed the fluff was irrelevant, or could be translated into having a lifechanging spiritual experience incurred by the forces of nature or something, which I have.

I guess I'll wait for an update from Troacctid...

My judgments and medals!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

Not sure where the +2 to int is coming from...

If you're going gish, you might wanr ro consider the wizard ACF from UA, replacing your scribe scroll and metamagic feats for fighter bonus feats. That is, unless you have a reason to really want scribe scroll...
    Oh, the +2 Int is from Complacent Human (from Dragon #320). The OP says it's allowed.
    And I was thinking about getting a martial feat in the place of Scribe Scroll, but, even if crafting uses XP, having some utility scrolls ready for a case of emergency would be a lifesaver in real life.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Oh, the +2 Int is from Complacent Human (from Dragon #320). The OP says it's allowed.
    And I was thinking about getting a martial feat in the place of Scribe Scroll, but, even if crafting uses XP, having some utility scrolls ready for a case of emergency would be a lifesaver in real life.
    Makes sense.

Note that you have XP set aside for non-leveling stuff, so you could get a hold of a lot of scrolls pretty easily.

My judgments and medals!

27. - Top - End - #147

Devil

While that is indeed impressive, I was thinking about builds that can do "Hostile to Helpful as a standard action" and IIRC nobody is quite there yet. Right now, keeping in mind that magic has been publicly revealed by a bunch of posters and isn't a crazy outside-context-problem, a Diplomancer who tried to take control over a country could (and probably would) be identified and killed by normal security forces at some point. Or they'd kidnap and/or attempt to suborn the Diplomancer, unless the Diplomancer was clever about his approach and personal safety. They might succeed, of course, but it isn't a sure thing yet.
    I have a level of Artificer. That means I can make scrolls of Guidance of the Avatar, Divine Insight, and Eagle's Splendor and with my level of wizard I can cast Skillful Moment, which all together is a Diplomacy check of 50, assuming that I have no ranks and a Charisma of 10. That's enough to turn a hostile person helpful in a minute, or one step less in either direction as a full-round action. There might be more skill-boosting spells that I could stack on top, and that's ignoring custom spells. Versions of the above spells with bigger numbers, or different bonus types should be possible.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, I took Nymph's Kiss last year and there was no commentary on that. I guess without any prereqs I just assumed the fluff was irrelevant, or could be translated into having a lifechanging spiritual experience incurred by the forces of nature or something, which I have.

I guess I'll wait for an update from Troacctid...
    Nymph's Kiss is fine. It's not actually in the prerequisite line, so...

I've been looking for a way to craft a dedicated wright for myself. Troacctid, could any of these work?
    1. Get an Artificer Cohort to make one for me.
    2. Use a Bonding Ritual to create a Golem Manual for a Dedicated Wright (golem manuals aren't custom items, but AFAIK there isn't one for dedicated wrights).
    3. I could take Craft Magic Arms and Armor at level 6. IIRC I take feats before getting class benefits (including CL), so I need CL 5 at level 5 to take Craft Magic Arms and Armor at level 6. My build at level 5 will be Sha'ir3/Durthan1/Cleric 1 - if the Knowledge domain grants me +1CL for divination spells (IIRC including my arcane divination spells), does that give me CL 5 for the purpose of qualifying for the feat? Then I could take Craft Construct at level 9 and make the Dedicated Wright at level 10, which I suppose is better than nothing.
    1. Wouldn't that mean it'd only be able to do your cohort's crafting, not yours?
    2. They don't use manuals.
    3. You don't have to meet the prerequisites for the feat until the same level you take it. Having 5 CL at level 6 is fine.

The easiest way would be to take Least Dragonmark as a feat. This would give you the ability to cast summon marked homunculus to summon a dedicated wright. Get the duration to 9 hours and you're set.

If I can't take Nymph's Kiss because I can't find a Nymph to kiss in real life, then the story effects of Wedded to History had better apply!
    What gave you the impression that the Endless quality was part of the story effects of Wedded to History? If anything, it's the reverse: being Endless causes you to gain Wedded to History, not the other way round. Wedded to History represents the benefits of having lived in ancient times, whether you're immortal, endless, or otherwise.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The easiest way would be to take Least Dragonmark as a feat. This would give you the ability to cast summon marked homunculus to summon a dedicated wright. Get the duration to 9 hours and you're set.
    Wait, Dragonmarks are allowed? I assumed that everyone on earth failed the story prerequisite. If I can take them I definitely will, if only because mark of making provides some great spells as a standard action if I can get into the lesser and greater marks.
    I'm thinking about some feat retraining... I don't quite have CL 8 just yet, but even if the homonculus can only do part of the day's work it'd still be making my life a lot more convenient.

On another note: in a few levels I'm hoping to have Supernatural Spell. That should allow me to bypass the "dragonmark" component of the spell: would that allow me to use Summon Marked Homonculus without having the appropriate dragonmark?

I also notice that Summon Marked Homonculus requires dragonshard dust as a material component. Can dragonshards be produced artificially somehow, or do I need Eschew Materials too? My knowledge of Eberron isn't encyclopedic, but IIRC they're mined, right?

What gave you the impression that the Endless quality was part of the story effects of Wedded to History? If anything, it's the reverse: being Endless causes you to gain Wedded to History, not the other way round. Wedded to History represents the benefits of having lived in ancient times, whether you're immortal, endless, or otherwise.
    Wait, so is Wedded to History allowed or not? Because this makes it sound like I can't take it unless I'm actually super old. And I've been saying that it halts my ageing in these threads every year since like 2019 - was this incorrect the whole time? Surely I'd have noticed by now, right?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Just checked out the spreadsheet ... apparently I'm the highest-level Cleric, and tied for highest-level Warlock. Very light on the Divine casting in general; We've got one third-level Druid, and a few Cleric and Druid 2's. The world might not be aware that Divine casting is a thing at all, at this point.