New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life: 2022 edition!

Quote Originally Posted by TalonOfAnathrax View Post
    Wait, Dragonmarks are allowed? I assumed that everyone on earth failed the story prerequisite. If I can take them I definitely will, if only because mark of making provides some great spells as a standard action if I can get into the lesser and greater marks.
    I'm thinking about some feat retraining... I don't quite have CL 8 just yet, but even if the homonculus can only do part of the day's work it'd still be making my life a lot more convenient.
    Sure. I gave them as an example of a "Basically a Sorcerer" adaptation upthread. Any of the human marks should be fine.

On another note: in a few levels I'm hoping to have Supernatural Spell. That should allow me to bypass the "dragonmark" component of the spell: would that allow me to use Summon Marked Homonculus without having the appropriate dragonmark?
    I mean, you could, but since the type of homunculus you summon keys off of how strong your dragonmark is, you wouldn't be able to get a dedicated wright without actually having a least mark minimum.

I also notice that Summon Marked Homonculus requires dragonshard dust as a material component. Can dragonshards be produced artificially somehow, or do I need Eschew Materials too? My knowledge of Eberron isn't encyclopedic, but IIRC they're mined, right?
    That's a good catch. Maybe you could find a substitute. I'm not sure. Supernatural spell would certainly solve this problem.

Wait, so is Wedded to History allowed or not? Because this makes it sound like I can't take it unless I'm actually super old. And I've been saying that it halts my ageing in these threads every year since like 2019 - was this incorrect the whole time? Surely I'd have noticed by now, right?
    I'm not saying it isn't allowed, I'm just saying you might have misunderstood its effect. If you want the Endless quality, taking the feat is neither necessary nor sufficient to gain it.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2022-01-06 at 03:58 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Barbarian in the Playground

Wait, so is Wedded to History allowed or not? Because this makes it sound like I can't take it unless I'm actually super old. And I've been saying that it halts my ageing in these threads every year since like 2019 - was this incorrect the whole time? Surely I'd have noticed by now, right?
    Yeah, the feat doesn't grant the Endless quality. The tagline for the article "Playing Elders in D&D" is kinda false advertising, since it doesn't give a way for you to become an Elder except through GM Fiat.

I had that same reaction last year when people explained it to me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Telonius View Post
    Just checked out the spreadsheet ... apparently I'm the highest-level Cleric, and tied for highest-level Warlock. Very light on the Divine casting in general; We've got one third-level Druid, and a few Cleric and Druid 2's. The world might not be aware that Divine casting is a thing at all, at this point.
    Correction, as of this year at least: a Druid 3 and Druid 4. And a grab-bag of Cloistered Clerics. But yeah, we're a divine-light world (assuming one world).

3. - Top - End - #153

Devil

Just checked out the spreadsheet ... apparently I'm the highest-level Cleric, and tied for highest-level Warlock. Very light on the Divine casting in general; We've got one third-level Druid, and a few Cleric and Druid 2's. The world might not be aware that Divine casting is a thing at all, at this point.
    Next year I'll have enough xp to get a minor schema of Concurrent Infusions at CL 8 with Sculpt Self, which will allow me to get any 4th level spell once/day. Also, as an StP Erudite I might be able to learn arcane versions of divine spells if I can find them.

4. - Top - End - #154

Perhaps we could argue for 3.5 rebuild rules. Maybe I went through an anger management seminar and no longer have that barbarian Rage in my life. Made one too many errors at work and they sent me through a program or something.

5. - Top - End - #155

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    Perhaps we could argue for 3.5 rebuild rules. Maybe I went through an anger management seminar and no longer have that barbarian Rage in my life. Made one too many errors at work and they sent me through a program or something.
    For everything except your first level, you could drain your levels with some undead creature (assuming that still works even though xp is disconnected from levels) and then get it back with Greater Restoration or a Thought Bottle or something. Definitely a higher-level thing, but it's not like every level you take is forever locked in stone. I'm gonna need to take three levels of Erudite before I can start theurging, and if I took the right feats from the beginning I'd only need one, so I'll need to do something like that at some point.

Another option is to do something with the SS rituals by turning into a creature with RHD and then turning back. That should also let you change the first level you took, and it's available once somebody hits CL 7.
    Last edited by Kalkra; 2022-01-06 at 04:30 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

My second level Favored Soul is saddened at your clique-i-ness.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #157

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    For everything except your first level, you could drain your levels with some undead creature (assuming that still works even though xp is disconnected from levels) and then get it back with Greater Restoration or a Thought Bottle or something. Definitely a higher-level thing, but it's not like every level you take is forever locked in stone. I'm gonna need to take three levels of Erudite before I can start theurging, and if I took the right feats from the beginning I'd only need one, so I'll need to do something like that at some point.

Another option is to do something with the SS rituals by turning into a creature with RHD and then turning back. That should also let you change the first level you took, and it's available once somebody hits CL 7.
    Yes, the rituals have been discussed in length at this point. The blue text was purely for the sake of sarcasm, I don't know anyone that actually participates in those seminars start-to-finish.

P.S. Though I guess therapy could work to some extent for the rage aspect. I dunno, it was a dumb joke.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Oh, Wedded to History doesn't work for immortality? Well, whatever. Steal Life & Restoration works RAW. Just get a volunteer or do it to yourself on a couple of full moons every now and then. (Evil) spell, granted, but no harm done. It's 8th level tho, gonna take a few years.

The world might not be aware that Divine casting is a thing at all, at this point.
    I'm for sure not going to reveal myself, lol.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Gah! Almost forgot about this with everything going on. Thank you for running it yet again!

Looking back, I just realized that Bladewalker doesn't really kick in until Armiger 2. That's an oversight that needs to be corrected, so there's my level!

10. - Top - End - #160

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Well, I'll be aiming for pathfinder Wizard 20th level Arcane Discovery: Immortality...in 18 years time...so in 2040, at an age of 66, I gain immortality...

...yay...
    Last edited by aglondier; 2022-01-08 at 02:17 AM.
    "There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    ~ Ernest Hemingway

2021 2022 2023 2024

Dwarf Magus (Deep Marshal) spell list

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by aglondier View Post
    Well, I'll be aiming for pathfinder Wizard 20th level Arcane Discovery: Immortality...in 18 years time...so in 2040, at an age of 66, I gain immortality...

...yay...
    Greater Age Resistance and Greater Posession will help.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

Another year, another level in artificer.

edit: I'll note my entry on the spreadsheet has me at level 5 (not counting this year) rather than level 6; it has the entries filled out correctly (sorcerer 1 + artificer 5), just totaled up incorrectly.

I'll edit an updated build (infusions, feats, etc) into this post this weekend.

---------

Spoiler: Previous years:
    Show

Spoiler: 2016
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalist View Post
    Per the OP, I'd probably be sorcerer / dweomerkeeper. Spontaneous since the lack of daily preparation and such appeals to my laziness, dweomerkeeper for that cost-free supernatural wish, which I'd promptly use for a 'Ring of Infinite Wishes.' I'd be happier with better skills, HPs, and saves, but ah well, there are other ways to get those.

My first goal would be to boost my mental stats, and then magic up a super computer that could grant me a thousand years of virtual reality for every minute that actually passes, giving me all the time in the world to consider my options and, hopefully, choose wisely.

---

Spoiler: Bestow Curse shenanigans
    Show
    On a side note, bestow curse / greater bestow curse (BC / GBC) are worth a mention. Specifically, using them to give yourself numerical bonuses, class features, and various other powerful / odd perks.

Positive modifiers are neither more or less 'powerful' than numerically equivalent negative modifiers, so GBCing someone with a permanent -16 intelligence is just as powerful as GBCing them with a permanent +16 intelligence; similarly, if BCs and GBCs can remove feats or class features, granting them would make for equally powerful curses.

To clarify, the notion that "more useful to the player = more powerful" isn't RAW. The only RAW reason blatantly benign 'curses' wouldn't fly at the table is (for GBC at least) the "DM has the final say on a curse's effect" clause, which arguably doesn't apply to these kinds of threads.

Just something to think about while you use the following compilation to get an idea of how powerful curses and greater curses can be.

On a side note, BC / GBC are touch spells:

Meaning you can, within reason, cast the spell whenever or wherever you want, and finish it later on with a handshake or something.

Spoiler: 2017
    Show
    I'll bite. I mean, either you assume fixed values (1 lb of salt = 5g) or assume that everything is different, including gold being hundreds of times rarer. It amounts to the same thing, and since 'salt crafting' is funnier...

I can't give up spontaneous quality-of-life spells, but I am changing my 2nd level to artificer (3.5, since I'm less familiar with PF). Besides, one could always use Dark Souls playthroughs as rebuild quests for retaking these levels.

Bestow Curse is a 2nd level spell on the demonologist list (Consolidated List of "Bargain Bin" Spells for Artificers), meaning an artificer could be scribing it at level 1. You get 2 UMD attempts per scroll, would only be out $3 if you fail both, and further success will be trivial after the first scroll.

Spoiler: Final Build, spell selection
    Show
    Sorc1/art1. 13/12/11 int, cha, wis; 10/9/8 con, str, dex.
    Versatile spellcaster and heighten spell for my initial feats.

Arcane spells:
    1) endure elements: To greatly increase my travel options and comfort.
    1) feather fall: For some incredible skydiving.
    0) mending: Convenience and financial freedom.
    0) prestigidation: Cleaning, pranks (i.e. changing how things taste), etc.
    0) launch item: ("Challenge -me- to a water balloon fight?")
    0) stick: Everything is Velcro! ("I have -what- stuck to my back?")

Artificer infusions:
    1) skill enhancement: Realistically, +2 to any specific skill for 10 minutes/lvl would be a fairly noticeable boost.
    1) weapon augmentation, personal: Grants a weapon any +1 enhancement (or up to +10,000 i.e. spellblades are +6,000g) for 10 minutes/lvl; that's a pretty big list ('silent strike' to silence yourself, 'merciful' firearms, 'wrecker' to ignore hardness, or a 'bane' for any situation).

For now, I'll be exploiting bestow curse to help with medical and energy research (i.e. 'cursing' researchers with +6 int / wis and +4 to all skill and ability checks); and, naturally, using it to 'max myself out' for my current resources (numerical bonuses, extra feats, youth, total anonymity, etc.).

Spoiler: 2018
    Show

Note that the 'magical training' feat lets you choose 2 or 3 (spontaneous vs. prepared) cantrips, for 3 castings per day (total), so you can take any class you want and still have prestidigitation and mend.

The scrolls cost 3x what I thought (Artificers can craft items 2 levels early but still pay as if the CL were normal), but that's trivial. Assuming the previous year of bestowing benign curses went well, I'll be continuing in this vein for another year.

Sorc1/Art1 -> Sorc1/Art2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    You found that any attempts to bestow a purely beneficial curse failed. Experimentation revealed that it was possible to include beneficial effects in a curse, but only if they were accompanied by negative side effects. In the process, you and/or anyone else you tested this on probably acquired some curses that were more uncomfortable than intended, which you'll probably want to remove.

Spoiler: 2019
    Show

Sorc1/Art2 -> Sorc1/Art3. Retrain to Art4. Gaining two flaws (shaky / vulnerable). 1 point into int.

Feats (some retraining): 6x 'exceptional artisan' (crafting time * 0.75), 1x 'magical artisan (all crafting costs * 0.75); (2 feats for level 1, 2 for flaws, 1 for level 3, 1 for artificer 4, and occasionally 1 for bestow curse). For a total multiplier of 0.133 for time, and 0.75 for $$ cost.

I'll start plucking more low-hanging fruit for personally staying out of the news: magical disguises, relying on wealthy sponsors / organizations to make various arrangements, etc..

====

4th level artificer nets me 'craft homunculus,' i.e. 'dedicated wright,' which builds magic items for me while I'm busy being lazy.

I can now craft wondrous items, and emulate 3rd level spells* (or up to 6th level domain spells via 'divine crusader' class spell list i.e. heal of the healing domain) for the purpose of item creation. I will initially focus on items to help my UMD ('circlet of persuasion' combined with an 'admiral's bicorne', 'cloak of charisma +6' for a total +8 UMD/charisma checks).

Beyond that, while there's a ton of things I'd like to make, I'll focus on healing items. Somehow I doubt automatically resetting traps of cure disease, remove blindness/deafness, etc., will work, but I'll give 'em a shot. Otherwise I'll create 'trumpets of healing,' which can heal one person per day, and 3x/day can perform various healing spells (CSW, remove blindness/deafness, cure disease, neutralize poison) on all non-evil folks within 360'. With a base cost of 116k, it'll take 16 days to make each one, so I'll have 20 of them in circulation in the first year.

Note that a sphere with a radius of 360' has a volume of 195 million cubic feet, or 1.6 million 5' cubes; I'll let the insurance companies and/or charitable organizations figure out the logistics of milking that for all it's worth.

Alternately (additionally), I'd craft items with significant outside-context benefits: 'third eye sense' (MIC, clairvoyance) for space exploration (or teleportation if I can restrict/deweaponize it a bit), 'decanters of water' for Red Cross or engineers/NASA, and so on.

Dragoneye runes (arcane mark / GPS tracker) on expensive items wouldn't hurt, though there's enough divination resources available to aid in retrieval.

====

On curses, giving permanent benign curses with a minor negative side affects is kosher (per 2018 spoiler); adding clauses to break or suppress the curse (kissing a frog // hopping on one leg while saying "Waffles!" // etc.) is trivial (RAW it's a weaker curse, and it's largely established in lore). One hiccup I didn't notice years ago is "Same spell, different results," which means someone can only have one curse active at a time.

Still, a sizable number of researchers and engineers have likely accepted a '+6 to all knowledge (or craft, or profession) skills' curse, which is a huge deal. That large of a bonus could turn anyone into a leading expert, much less people who're already leaders or seasoned veterans of their fields. I'll likely focus on medical, energy, recycling, and software design.

My own curse will either be be a bonus (time/cost reduction) feat, or something to boost UMD if I'm working on cheaper items where I've only a couple chances to make the DC 20 - 26 UMD check with my +16 modifier.

Spoiler: 2020
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalist 2020 View Post
    Annual reminder that the 'magical training' feat lets you choose 2 or 3 (spontaneous vs. prepared) cantrips, for 3 castings per day (total), so you can take any class you want and still have prestidigitation and mend.

For 2020, (3.5) Artificer 4 => Artificer 5

Spoiler: 2021
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalist 2021 View Post
    Another artificer level, and happy New Year!
    Last edited by Shalist; 2022-01-10 at 09:16 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163

MindFlayer

Another year, might as well stick to what semblance of a plan I had:

I think I'll retrain Linked Power into Imprint Stone, since that will be a lot more useful right now. Linked can wait a bit.

Human
    STR 9, DEX 11, CON 12, INT 14, WIS 10, CHA 8 (INT increased by one now at level 4)

Erudite 5
    ACF: Convert Spell to Power
    Level 1 Feat: Extend Power
    Human Bonus Feat: Hidden Talent
    Level 3 Feat: Imprint Stone
    Level 5 Bonus Feat: Craft Universal Item

PP: 30 (technically 32, but I don't have enough CHA to utilize the 2pp from Hidden Talent)

Psicrystal:

HD 5
    Str 1, Dex 15, Con -, Int 6, Wis 10, Cha 11 (increased CHA by one at HD4)
    HD 1 Feat: Hidden Talent (I'll come back and edit with this choice soon. It's getting late)
    HD 3 Feat: Draconic Aura: Vigor (though perhaps Toughness would be better, in this situation?)

I'm toying with the idea of making this a Dragon 319 Erudite, since they don't have the 'one level lower' restriction for discipline powers (and thus, also spells) but there's (what I assume is) a typo in the text there for learning discipline powers that makes it dysfunctional/nonfunctional:

"An erudite can only learn discipline powers by directly learning them from another's repertoire, learning it from a power stone, [...] Next, the erudite may make a Psicraft check (DC15+ power's level) to see if he understands one of the powers. If the power is not on his class list or is a discipline power, he automatically fails this check."

I seem to remember Cordell saying this was a typo (though I can't seem to find that now), and they fixed it in the CPsi text to say "If the selected power is not on his class list or on any of the select discipline lists, he automatically fails this check."

How shall I proceed to interpret, dear adjudicator Troacctid?
    "I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want." -Rich Burlew, author of OoTS, and founder/owner of this very website you're reading this text on.

Grod's Law of game design: "You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use"

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crichton View Post
    I'm toying with the idea of making this a Dragon 319 Erudite, since they don't have the 'one level lower' restriction for discipline powers (and thus, also spells) but there's (what I assume is) a typo in the text there for learning discipline powers that makes it dysfunctional/nonfunctional:

"An erudite can only learn discipline powers by directly learning them from another's repertoire, learning it from a power stone, [...] Next, the erudite may make a Psicraft check (DC15+ power's level) to see if he understands one of the powers. If the power is not on his class list or is a discipline power, he automatically fails this check."

I seem to remember Cordell saying this was a typo (though I can't seem to find that now), and they fixed it in the CPsi text to say "If the selected power is not on his class list or on any of the select discipline lists, he automatically fails this check."

How shall I proceed to interpret, dear adjudicator Troacctid?
    Use the more recent version of the class, which also has typos, but mostly in different places.

15. - Top - End - #165

MindFlayer

Use the more recent version of the class, which also has typos, but mostly in different places.
    Well that's less fun lol. Simpler, sure, but definitely less fun than using the Dragon version. Was trying to use it to steer clear of dubious shenanigans to get 9th level spells and discipline powers pre-epic, but without 319 erudite, I may not be able to do so with this build. Much thought and pre-planning shall be needed.

Also which typos are you meaning in the CPsi version? The 'unique powers per level per day' thing? Pretty likely a typo, for sure, but also not actually dysfunctional/nonfunctional as written. Given the choice between what was supposed to be a strict limit on powers per day but actually isn't much limit at all, and actually having some limit on powers per day but not having a 'one level lower' limit on discipline powers, I'd personally go with the latter, but you're running this show, so I'll go with your call here. And thanks again for putting in the work to run this thread every year! It's a lot of fun!
    "I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want." -Rich Burlew, author of OoTS, and founder/owner of this very website you're reading this text on.

Grod's Law of game design: "You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use"

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

Still a Druid for Druid2.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Troacctid, is Medani Prophet allowed?
    1. I could turn into a Half-Elf with Shaper of Form and retrain my level 1 and 6 feats into Least Dragonmark and Lesser Dragonmark
    2. I could be a Concept Cleric with the Oracle domain or something, to keep the "Aureon, god of knowledge and law" vibe
    3. Getting training from the Voice of Aureon isn't explicitly possible IRL, but surely there are IRL groups that could be considered equivalent (oracles? fortune-tellers?)

I'm mostly thinking through possible cohort builds as I write this. Cloistered Planning + Oracle Concept Cleric 5 / Shaper of Form 1 (Half-Elf) / Medani Prophet 5 / Primal Scholar 5 / Visionary Seeker 1 seems like a decent "see the future" thematic build. It wouldn't have crafting feats, so it could spend its XP on Commune easily enough, but Medani Prophet brings standard-action augury and divination SLAs which IMO really top the build off (as well as irregular future-visions, of course).

18. - Top - End - #168
    Titan in the Playground

Troacctid, is Medani Prophet allowed?
    1. I could turn into a Half-Elf with Shaper of Form and retrain my level 1 and 6 feats into Least Dragonmark and Lesser Dragonmark
    2. I could be a Concept Cleric with the Oracle domain or something, to keep the "Aureon, god of knowledge and law" vibe
    3. Getting training from the Voice of Aureon isn't explicitly possible IRL, but surely there are IRL groups that could be considered equivalent (oracles? fortune-tellers?)

I'm mostly thinking through possible cohort builds as I write this. Cloistered Planning + Oracle Concept Cleric 5 / Shaper of Form 1 (Half-Elf) / Medani Prophet 5 / Primal Scholar 5 / Visionary Seeker 1 seems like a decent "see the future" thematic build. It wouldn't have crafting feats, so it could spend its XP on Commune easily enough, but Medani Prophet brings standard-action augury and divination SLAs which IMO really top the build off (as well as irregular future-visions, of course).
    The book says: "The path of the prophet is not a choice, but a calling. Dreams and visions drew you to the shrine of the Voice, where you were taught to interpret these signs and unlock your potential." So it falls under "Sorcerer But Different," or rather, the closely related divine variant of "Favored Soul But Different." I would expect it to be fine if you can somehow manage the prerequisites. I personally find it a somewhat baffling choice (why put together a complex Rube Goldberg chain of feat taxes and race changes when divine oracle is only a feat away?), but you do you. Note though that cohorts pick their own levels—leaders don't pick for them.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2022-01-11 at 03:22 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The book says: "The path of the prophet is not a choice, but a calling. Dreams and visions drew you to the shrine of the Voice, where you were taught to interpret these signs and unlock your potential." So it falls under "Sorcerer But Different," or rather, the closely related divine variant of "Favored Soul But Different." I would expect it to be fine if you can somehow manage the prerequisites. I personally find it a somewhat baffling choice (why put together a complex Rube Goldberg chain of feat taxes and race changes when divine oracle is only a feat away?), but you do you. Note though that cohorts pick their own levels—leaders don't pick for them.
    Yeah, I asked them what they wanted (they don't play 3.5 but liked the idea of this thread) and they said "seeing the future". We went through the future-seeing spells, and their response was "most of these are way too slow and inconvenient to use". That's when I remembered Medani Prophet, the PrC that lets you use divination as an SLA. Want to check something? Think about it for six seconds, and you can (probably) know! And of course you don't lose and Cleric casting (important for cohorts that potentially peak at level 17), so you can do good stuff with that.

Divine oracle doesn't actually do much for future-seeing beyond letting you reroll the success dice on augury/divination. And that doesn't look like it would apply to augury/divination SLAs, either. Most divine oracle boosts are combat-related boosts representing local-scale danger sense, which doesn't seem very useful in this scenario (or for this person who wants to be out there doing big prophecies and whatnot).

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Unfortunately, if that's the goal, it won't do what you want. SLAs do default to a standard action if no action is given, but that clause never applies to SLAs that mimic spells, because every spell already has a casting time to define its action cost.

Although, actually, since it's a dragonmark ability, you could still do it if you took Quicken Dragonmark once or twice, or got your hands on the equivalent rod.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2022-01-11 at 03:57 AM.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

On making money for crafting....

This is quite easy. Many routes available.

Spoiler: On staying anonymous
    Show

Greater Hat of Disguise, Alter Self at will. Sleeves of Many Garments: Clothes too. Invisibility so nobody sees me change disguises. Walk into one restroom, vanish, go into another, change forms and clothing, appear. Take the bus. Leave my electronics at home, and wear gloves. All easily made since 3rd level.

Spoiler: As a healer
    Show
    Cut a deal with a <leader.title> of <deity.name> (while wearing a different face via Greater Hat of Disguise, of course). The keep the doctrine of <deity.name> pure, and get public, obvious cures a few times per day. I make it happen (while invisible, I want the <leader.title> to soak all the attention), and take a cut of offerings "To do other work for <deity.name>". With folks getting healed of diseases and injuries - visibly, verifiably, and often - this will get very big, very quickly.

Spoiler: As a thief
    Show
    Invisibility, Charm Person, and a Greater Hat of Disguise? Yes, theft is easy. Case a joint for a while to see who has access to the vault and who their boss is. Later on, be the boss, charm the vault person, and empty the vault.

Spoiler: Cheating the Casino
    Show
    Rerolls mean those 49% win, 51% loss games become 73.99% win, 26.01% loss games. Don't bet it all, and yes, there will be bad streaks occasionally. But the average is suddenly very much in my favor on things like, oh, roulette. Change face periodically so as not to draw attention.

Spoiler: Playing with stocks
    Show
    Automatic Writing: a 90% accurate divination, daily, good for a week. "Which of these stocks will go up the most over the next seven days?" has a nice simple short phrase answer. Again, don't bet it all, as there will be losses. Charm Person should help out if I get a visit from the SEC.

Spoiler: Helping sports teams
    Show
    How much, do you think, one of those high end sports figures would pay for a belt that verifiably and reliably makes them noticeably better at their sport? I can make those. They'll sell well, especially with demos.

Spoiler: Hollywood here I come!
    Show
    Unattended objects don't get saves - which means a camera set up and recording all by itself doesn't get a save vs. the Image line. I can get them via Arcane Enlightenment. Duration is Concentration+ on all of them. So yeah, videos of anything I can imagine, sold online. There's bound to be many, many ways to make money with this.

... et cetera. There's really no shortage.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-01-11 at 06:35 PM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

Is greater hat of disguise a Pathfinder item? I've never heard of it.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

It's Pathfinder-only, yes. Almost every Pathfinder build that mentions items mentions it though, so it's probably great :D

24. - Top - End - #174
    Titan in the Playground

Correct, Pathfinder only. At will Alter Self, and the hat gets to change too. Pathfinder nerfed Alter Self significantly, but it's still very useful. Biggest benefit is that as it's not an illusion, it's your skill check vs. their skill check, with no option for that pesky DC 11 will save that goes with Disguise Self from an item (True Seeing still beats it, but that's a lot less common).
    Link to the hat (scroll down)

Spoiler: Crafting notes
    Show

If I switch my spirit hex from Arcane Enlightenment (Su) to Benefits of Wisdom, I have a Spellcraft check of +13. Taking Ten makes a result of 23. With how Pathfinder Crafting works, that's a CL 18 item where I meet all the requirements, a CL 13 item where I'm missing one, or a CL 8 item where I'm missing two right now, without items.

At 3rd, where Craft Wondrous Item came online, that was +9 mod, take ten of 19, CL 14 meeting requirements,9 missing 1, CL 4 missing two. A Headband of Alluring Charisma - regardless of type - is just CL 8, and has one requirement. Given time and cash, I could make a +6 version at level 3 when I started. That +3 boost to Spellcraft (on Benefits of Wisdom), still at 3rd, means a take ten of 22, for CL 17 with all requirements met, CL 12 with one missing, CL 7 with two missing. A Circlet of Persuasion (CL 5, 1 requirement) as well grants another +3, making those CL 20, 15, and 10.

At 5th, that boost to Charisma puts me at +17, taking ten of +27, which is CL 22 items if I meet all requirements, CL 17 if I'm missing one. Pages of Spell Knowledge grant bonus spells known, and are CL 17 with a single requirement (the contained spell). Which means as of 5th level, I get all the Cleric/Oracle spells known I want, given time. This also means I can quite easily meet requirements for crafting. Like, say, picking up Eagle's Splendor and Owl's Wisdom, and upgrading the headband to Mental Superiority +6 (+6 to all mental stats, with bonus skills - CL 16, one missing requirement as Fox's Cunning isn't on the Cleric list). I can do the same with the belt, for +6 to all Physical stats. And make Tomes/Manuals for the Inherent bonuses (CL 17, one requirement - can make this at 5th). Which means starting at 5th, I'm rocking a +6 Enhancement, +5 Inherent to all stats (starting with Charisma) ... although the pricing means time becomes a limiting factor.

At 7th (now), with Craft Construct, I can offload the time somewhat (I can create minions to maintain my cash flow: Commission full-scale paintings for making Trompe L'Oeils of useful creatures, which obey per This note in Craft Construct even if they don't have a listed control mechanism; I would test to see if high-resolution prints qualify as masterwork paintings for this; makes things go faster, but isn't a requirement to get things done - an Adult Dungeon Dragon gets Craft Wondrous Item, which lets me offload some of the crafting as well). With a +22 Spellcraft mod during crafting (7 ranks, +3 class, +9 Charisma, +3 Circlet), I take ten to get a result of 32; that's a CL 27 item with all requirements met, CL 22 missing one, or CL 17 missing one and going fast. At this stage, my UMD mod also becomes +19, which is important, as it's only DC 20 to fake a spell being on my class list - which means Pages of Spell Knowledge can now get me cross-list spells. I can have any spell known I want, provided it's of a level I can cast.

Also, of course, Craft Construct lets me expand a bit on income sources (most the money-making routes listed above can be duplicated via select creatures, and there are new ones besides - like selling permanent light sources after making an Archon). So 7th and Craft Construct is a significant tipping point for me (crafting time and money quickly cease to matter). I can have basically all the wondrous items I want a little later this year, after making a few minions. I'll update my sheet to reflect this as I have time.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-01-11 at 06:39 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175

RogueGuy

Level 5 for me, which as I am a pathfinder guy, new feat.
    I take my 3rd level in Arcanist.
    My feat is Basic magic training from Spheres of power. I take the Light Sphere.
    For my second Exploit I take Counter Spell.
    Last edited by vasilidor; 2022-01-11 at 07:53 PM.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.

26. - Top - End - #176

Ya know, gonna go ahead and build my spell list, why not.

Spoiler: Favored Soul 2
    Show
    0th level
    • Create Water
    • Guidance
    • Light
    • Mending
    • Purify Food and Drink

1st level
    • Comprehend Languages
    • Endure Elements
    • Wings of the Sea

Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-11 at 09:06 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Ya know, gonna go ahead and build my spell list, why not.

Spoiler: Favored Soul 2
    Show
    0th level
    • Create Water
    • Guidance
    • Light
    • Mending
    • Purify Food and Drink

1st level
    • Comprehend Languages
    • Endure Elements
    • Wings of the Sea

Why Light over Cure Minor Wounds?

In a world where everyone has a computer with a embedded flashlight on their pockets, the first aid spell seems more valuable.

28. - Top - End - #178

Quote Originally Posted by Brackenlord View Post
    Why Light over Cure Minor Wounds?

In a world where everyone has a computer with a embedded flashlight on their pockets, the first aid spell seems more valuable.
    Because I mistakenly thought I was level 3 and not 2 and had Cure Light Wounds as my last 1st level spell. And Light does a damn sight better than phone flashlights (which I would argue is bright light for 1 foot and dim light for 5 feet, rather than bright light for 20 and then dim light for a further 20). Plus, hands-free.

The spell list becomes super neat when I don't really need to kill anyone constantly. Just wait til I start picking up my sorcerer levels. I'll be able to create lemonade-flavored water whenever I want, and without the sugar!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-01-12 at 12:05 PM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Yay, now I'm a psion(seer) 6!

So far I know far hand, precognition, attraction, empathy, call to mind, clairvoyant sense, psionic tongues, psionic knock, sustenance, time hop, and psionic darkvision.

Probably this year I'll learn body adjustment and, I don't know, telekinetic force.

30. - Top - End - #180

Devil

If I somehow change my levels, using whatever method, can I choose to take bloodline levels, or did I have to choose that at level one and now I'm permanently locked out of it? For that matter, could I take bloodline levels now?