New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life: 2022 edition!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    If I somehow change my levels, using whatever method, can I choose to take bloodline levels, or did I have to choose that at level one and now I'm permanently locked out of it? For that matter, could I take bloodline levels now?
    Someone else asked something like this in a previous year. You take a bloodline level like a normal level, for up to one bloodline. You don't get any bloodline benefits until and unless you do.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Updated sheet for having essentially limitless stuffs via crafting. When doing so, found I could find enough spellcraft optimization to make copies of basically any creature I like for Trompe L'oeils (at double-speed, even), which leads nicely into not needing a human crafter for the base paintings I enchant. I make my first (via Marvelous Pigments), and then she makes the rest from materials via fabricate, and I add the enchantments.

Other paintings make the rest of my Wondrous Items.

This is the year I plateau with this, apparently, as Craft Construct permits creating critters with high level spellcasting (Sorcerer's 9th level spells via dragons, Cleric's 9ths via Angels/Archons/Aeons, Druid's 9ths via Wild Hunt Monarch, Bard's 6th's level spells available via Muse... and oh, hey: The Sky dragon and Gold Dragon both get Alternate Form, 9th level spells (at Great Wyrm), and have the pre-statted Great Wyrms set up with Use Magic Device... which means Pages of spell knowledge get them any spell), including regular spell-like Wishes.

Which, of course, also lends well to various forms of higher-end immortality. Yay. Looks like I'm not aging past Middle Aged (permanently, anyway - I'll spend a lot of time Astral Projecting to the material plane, because I kinda like it here). Looking forward to getting access to Lesser Age Resistance (via UMD and a page of spell knowledge) next year to remove the Middle Age penalty.

Also found I no longer need the Greater Hat of Disguise most of the time. I can just cast Planar Infusion and Adjustable Disguise via Pages of Spell Knowledge and UMD at this point. Either is 10 minutes/level, can keep that up long enough for most purposes (CL 8, so over 1 hour per casting); nab a PaO from one of my pet crafting dragons if I need a longer duration.

Lucky for the rulers of the world: I'm really not interested in ruling the world. I've got my own sanctum, I'll set up a sanctum for my immediate family (all the adults, anyway, so they can be immortal too). I'm fine with being immortal, having my immediate family be immortal, and becoming stupidly-rich off mineral sales.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-01-16 at 10:14 AM.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

Some controversy this year when Jopustopin appeared in a Mask Up! YouTube video preaching the need for vaccinations and masks but was seen in Florida at one of the largest beach bash parties of the year... where no one was wearing a mask.

Jopustopin has crazy weird dreams, and has knowledge that he shouldn't have (nor should any man). He has practiced going through the motions of casting spells in combat while sheltering in place. Fighting for his life or past lives... who knows! He has continued amassing wealth and swimming a lot. Got to stay healthy. In the straight to Netflix hit movie, "Second Chances" critics lamented an action sequence that showed Jopustopin deflecting a missile with his bare hands.

Then suddenly, Jopustopin gains a level! It's in Warblade! His year long of training has paid off. Have you heard? He can punch through walls and deflect bullets. He is entering his "Clooney Years" and his charisma is suddenly a point higher! What will 2022 bring? Jopustopin has heard of others like him, who's powers are not merely impressive but... supernatural, magical, and unbelievable. Perhaps this has something to do with his dreams....

Jopustopin took some time off towards the end of the year to spend time in Iraq, where the rumored tower of Babel supposedly once stood.

Spoiler: Character Sheet
    Show

Jopustopin
    male middle aged human warblade 4
    CN medium humanoid (human)
    Init -8; Senses spot +1, listen +1
    Languages Common, Ancient Suloise
    AC 11 (+4 armor, -2 Dex, -1 Flaw), Touch 7, Flat-footed 11; Uncanny Dodge
    HP 27/27 (4d12-4)
    Fort +5, Ref -1, Will +2 (Battle Clarity)
    Speed 30 ft.
    Melee longsword +4 (1d8-1/19-20)
    Ranged dagger +3 (1d4-1/19-20)
    Base Atk +4; Grp +3
    Special Battle Ardor
    Maneuvers and Stances Known (IL 4th):
    • Stances-Bolstering Voice, Punishing Stance
    • Strikes- Stone Bones, Mountain Hammer
    • Boosts-Sudden Leap
    • Counters-Moment of Perfect Mind, Wall of Blades

Abilities Str 9, Dex 7, Con 8, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 17
    Skills Spellcraft +8, Concentration +6, Jump +6, Tumble +5, Swim, +3, Balance +3, Knowledge (History) +2, Knowledge (Local) +2, Knowledge (The Planes) +4, Martial Lore +2, Profession (Actor) +5
    Skill Points Spellcraft 5, Concentration 7, Jump 7, Tumble 7, Balance 5, Swim 4, Knowledge (History) 1, Knowledge (Local) 1, Knowledge (the planes) 1, Martial Lore 1, Profession (Actor) 2
    Feats Keeper of Forbidden Lore, Otherwordly Countenance (Beauty), Great Fortitude, Combat Casting
    Flaws Unreactive, Vulnerable
    Possessions swimming pool, mwk trusty longsword, mwk dagger, mithril chain shirt, Net Worth ($3,142,212 USA)

Last edited by Jopustopin; 2022-01-16 at 12:43 PM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Finally, Telepath 7 opens up Psychic Reformation ridiculousness. The weekly XP goes up to 140/week, which means I can manifest it "fairly" ~1.5 to ~11 times a month. Shelling out 50-350xp to readjust feats/skills/powers known will be very handy, and that's before it gets broken.

@Troacctid:
    • I've had a crafting item feat from as early level 1 but I wasn't able to clarify back then that XP wasn't a river so I just assumed I crafted to my heart's content. Can I now post all my limited yearly XP expenditures from 2016?
    • Can Expanded Knowledge be used to learn a spell-to-erudite power version of a spell?
    • Can we refluff magic item appearance, such as crafting a Third Eye Sense as a mask or a pair of glasses or crafting a Boots of Skating as a pair of sandals or dress shoes?
    • Can we add magic item effects from a Wondrous/Universal item into an existing Wondrous/Universal item of the same slot?
    • Is it safe to assume that RAW will be followed when it comes to psionic recharge tricks (i.e. they work)?
    • Are you familiar with the Psionic Tattoo Mastery and the special psionic tattoos? These are all from the "Getting Rewired" article, but it looks like the Wizards archives isn't accessible for the past few days. Is it safe to assume that pure RAW will be followed when it comes to these tattoos? For example, a Psionic Tattoo of Psychic Reformation linked to a fully-charged Capacitor doesn't fade when used, but the only time XP cost will ever be paid will be during its crafting. (446XP = 96XP as base crafting cost + 50XP base spell cost + 300XP extra spell cost for 6 additional levels of reformation)
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    • I've had a crafting item feat from as early level 1 but I wasn't able to clarify back then that XP wasn't a river so I just assumed I crafted to my heart's content. Can I now post all my limited yearly XP expenditures from 2016?
    • Can Expanded Knowledge be used to learn a spell-to-erudite power version of a spell?
    • Can we refluff magic item appearance, such as crafting a Third Eye Sense as a mask or a pair of glasses or crafting a Boots of Skating as a pair of sandals or dress shoes?
    • Can we add magic item effects from a Wondrous/Universal item into an existing Wondrous/Universal item of the same slot?
    • Is it safe to assume that RAW will be followed when it comes to psionic recharge tricks (i.e. they work)?
    • Are you familiar with the Psionic Tattoo Mastery and the special psionic tattoos? These are all from the "Getting Rewired" article, but it looks like the Wizards archives isn't accessible for the past few days. Is it safe to assume that pure RAW will be followed when it comes to these tattoos? For example, a Psionic Tattoo of Psychic Reformation linked to a fully-charged Capacitor doesn't fade when used, but the only time XP cost will ever be paid will be during its crafting. (446XP = 96XP as base crafting cost + 50XP base spell cost + 300XP extra spell cost for 6 additional levels of reformation)
    Yes, no, yes, yes, no, and 3.0 psionics are defunct.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Yes, no, yes, yes, no, and 3.0 psionics are defunct.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Is it just 3.0 psionics that isn't available, or does this apply to any un-updated 3.0 materials from books like Oriental Adventures and Savage Species?
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Thanks for the quick reply. Is it just 3.0 psionics that isn't available, or does this apply to any un-updated 3.0 materials from books like Oriental Adventures and Savage Species?
    3.0 psionics are broadly unavailable. Other unupdated 3.0 material is probably okay, but may not work as expected due to the changes inherent in the revision. Use it at your own risk.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Troacctid, how far does refluffing go? There's plenty of sculpt self foci I would go for if it wasn't for their fluff physical and mental/emotional ramifications. Can those be reworked as well, to something else that's fitting? If so, I'd like to do that.

(I guess since custom race alterations were approved I could always make a "custom" one that is mechanically identical but has different fluff. As I said last year though, I'd like to take the RAI road on this one) Also, whale-friend.
    Screaming defiance with the last breath

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

The Iron Chef Optimization spreadsheet!

Song, Sword, and Sorcery: my 5E homebrew half-caster bard (Version 2.0!)

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    Troacctid, how far does refluffing go? There's plenty of sculpt self foci I would go for if it wasn't for their fluff physical and mental/emotional ramifications. Can those be reworked as well, to something else that's fitting? If so, I'd like to do that.

(I guess since custom race alterations were approved I could always make a "custom" one that is mechanically identical but has different fluff. As I said last year though, I'd like to take the RAI road on this one) Also, whale-friend.
    You don't have this information when you make your decision.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    You don't have this information when you make your decision.
    I'm not sure I got the answer. I should act as if I don't know what the different foci do?

Or do I know what they'll "naturally" (aka as written) do, and I just can not tell whether or not an attempt at reshaping (AKA refluffing) would work?

It would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as FREEDOM should not be highly rated.

My judgments and medals!

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Or do I know what they'll "naturally" (aka as written) do, and I just can not tell whether or not an attempt at reshaping (AKA refluffing) would work?
    That's correct.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ettin in the Playground

I now have my 6th level of Monk of the Four Winds. 14 more levels until I am immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    I now have my 6th level of Monk of the Four Winds. 14 more levels until I am immortal.
    I found my immortality early with manufactured minions. Another 3 years until I get my automatic Raise Dead, and 13 until I get the gem I am after.
    Of course, by the time I finish this post, it will already be obsolete. C'est la vie.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

I'll have Timeless Body in 8 years. After that, if we get to Epic, I'll probably take Extended Life Span every few years until I get bored.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Finally, Telepath 7 opens up Psychic Reformation ridiculousness. The weekly XP goes up to 140/week, which means I can manifest it "fairly" ~1.5 to ~11 times a month. Shelling out 50-350xp to readjust feats/skills/powers known will be very handy, and that's before it gets broken.

@Troacctid:
    I see an opportunity for mutual benefit. It's going to be a while yet before the option is available, but we can make a mutual agreement for Psychic Chirurgery, so you can get access to spell-to-power erudite versions of spells, and I can get access to 9th level Telepath powers. If we found other Psions we trust, we could even get a chain of Chirurgery going so we all teach each other 9ths and/or spell-converted powers. Create for ourselves a powerful, mysterious, loose-knit secret society that lurks behind the scenes for generations and protects psionics and psionic-related agendas and..... isn't that how Elans came to be a thing? This has potential!
    "I want tools to use in the game, not a blank check to do what I want. I can already do what I want." -Rich Burlew, author of OoTS, and founder/owner of this very website you're reading this text on.

Grod's Law of game design: "You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use"

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Crichton View Post
    I see an opportunity for mutual benefit. It's going to be a while yet before the option is available, but we can make a mutual agreement for Psychic Chirurgery, so you can get access to spell-to-power erudite versions of spells, and I can get access to 9th level Telepath powers. If we found other Psions we trust, we could even get a chain of Chirurgery going so we all teach each other 9ths and/or spell-converted powers. Create for ourselves a powerful, mysterious, loose-knit secret society that lurks behind the scenes for generations and protects psionics and psionic-related agendas and..... isn't that how Elans came to be a thing? This has potential!
    Annnnnd this is why I want to establish friendly relationships in advance. Spellcasters of any stripe hitting 4th level spells.
    LGBTA+itP

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

smile Re: You just gained a level in real life: 2022 edition!

Meh, skipped this for the past couple of years, but better late than never.

Conjurer 1 (abrupt jaunt)

edit: 3.5
    8/11/12/13/9/10

Iron Will
    Reserves of Strength
    Last edited by Rebel7284; 2022-01-19 at 04:55 PM.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Here's my list of XP expenditures since 2016. Gold cost would be trivial as already demonstrated in the past threads, especially for a Telepath with maxed Diplomacy with additional bonuses.
    Spoiler: Yearly XP expenditures
    Show
    XP spent 2016 (400 / 1000xp)
    • 400xp: x100 Power Stone (4 powers ML1: Psionic Charm, Empathy, Attraction, Psionic Minor Creation)

XP spent 2017 (1200 / 2000xp)
    • 1200xp: x100 Power Stone (6 powers ML2: Psionic Charm, Empathy, Attraction, Psionic Minor Creation, Skate, Vigor)

XP spent 2018 (2824 / 3000xp)
    • 280xp: Boots of Skating
    • 144xp: Mirror of Suggestion
    • 2400xp: x100 Power Stone (6 powers ML3: Share Pain, Psionic Suggestion, Psionic Charm, Empathy, Attraction, Psionic Minor Creation)

XP spent 2019 (4000 / 4000xp)
    • 4000xp: x100 Power Stone (6 powers ML4: Detect Hostile Intent, Read Thoughts, Share Pain, Psionic Suggestion, Psionic Charm, Vigor)

XP spent 2020 (4000 / 5000xp)
    • 2000xp: x50 Power Stone (5 powers ML5: Time Hop, Forced Dream, Psionic Charm, Attraction)
    • 2000xp: x50 Power Stone (6 powers ML5: Time Hop, Psionic Suggestion, Psionic Charm, Empathy, Vigor)

XP spent 2021 (4000 / 6000xp)
    • 960xp: Third Eye Sense (refluffed into reading glasses)
    • 1600xp: x40 Power Stone (5 powers ML5: Body Adjustment, Psionic Suggestion, Psionic Charm, Empathy, Attraction)
    • 1440xp: x40 Power Stone (4 powers ML6: Body Purification, Psionic Charm, Empathy, Vigor)

Quote Originally Posted by Crichton View Post
    It's quite far in the future but that definitely can be arranged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Annnnnd this is why I want to establish friendly relationships in advance. Spellcasters of any stripe hitting 4th level spells.
    Not even casters per se, but I think it's a good idea to establish relationships with anyone that has potent crafting abilities. Especially with this long game type of deal.

@everyone Since I already have Third Eye Sense, I now have free Clairvoyant Sense services 1/day. I'll be using online street mapping services for purposes of familiarity, so anything that can be searched further based on that level of familiarity should be fair game.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2022-01-25 at 05:04 PM. Reason: corrected expenditures to match crafting time limit

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

It's quite far in the future but that definitely can be arranged.
    Not even casters per se, but I think it's a good idea to establish relationships with anyone that has potent crafting abilities. Especially with this long game type of deal.

@everyone Since I already have Third Eye Sense, I now have free Clairvoyant Sense services 1/day. I'll be using online street mapping services for purposes of familiarity, so anything that can be searched further based on that level of familiarity should be fair game.
    Yes, in this scenario, powerful crafting abilities are very nice. Pathfinder's crafting rules especially so. Picking my squads of construct minions made that very clear.

We'll probably empty out a few charity hospitals, just for fun. Solars get Remove Disease and Lesser Restoration as at-wills. I should probably also make an Exscinder for the at-will Cure Light, Modify Memory, and divinations.

And my immortality is external, so I can share with friends.

Which reminds me: I need to set up my buff list at some point.
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-01-20 at 06:34 PM.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Ogre in the Playground

Guess I'll become a second-level warlock, for the same reasons as I took my first level:

• Abilities are subtle (don't want to get vanned)
    • Abilities include buffs to social skills, which are useful in everyday life
    • Abilities also include (eventually) things like invisiblity and magical item crafting
    • Doesn't require any high stats.
    • None of my class features require magical items, magical inks, knowstones, or even fancy weapons that I wouldn't be able to find IRL.

My build is probably along the lines of:
    Neutral Human Warlock 2
    8/12/9/13/11/10
    Skills: Bluff +5, Diplomacy +2 (2.5 ranks), Sense Motive +5, UMD +5
    Feats: ??? (might have several: According to empirical data I have almost every flaw )
    Class Features: Eldritch Blast 1D6, Detect Magic at will
    Invocations: Beguiling Influence, See the Unseen.

I'm not doing anything flashy... but that's by design. I'll keep being me, just with +11 to some social skills and better night vision. It really is a shame how few invocations warlocks actually get, but as long as I don't plan on combat, most of them aren't useful to me anyway.

21. - Top - End - #201

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by bekeleven View Post
    I'm not doing anything flashy... but that's by design. I'll keep being me, just with +11 to some social skills and better night vision. It really is a shame how few invocations warlocks actually get, but as long as I don't plan on combat, most of them aren't useful to me anyway.
    Honestly, even if you are planning on combat, most of the combat options that any class offers are significantly inferior to just getting a gun until you hit pretty high levels. I mean sure, things like invisibility and teleportation can be very useful, but the whole classes of save-or-die/suck and direct damage are usually just worse than shooting your target with a gun.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    Honestly, even if you are planning on combat, most of the combat options that any class offers are significantly inferior to just getting a gun until you hit pretty high levels. I mean sure, things like invisibility and teleportation can be very useful, but the whole classes of save-or-die/suck and direct damage are usually just worse than shooting your target with a gun.
    Spoiler: Who needs class levels when you have a gun?
    Show
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

23. - Top - End - #203
    Pixie in the Playground

biggrin Re: You just gained a level in real life: 2022 edition!

Hoorah. Using 3.5, I am now a level 1 Paladin of Freedom. Human feat: Power attack. Lvl 1 feat: cleave.

Stats: Int 12, Dex 12, 14 Wis, 12 Cha, 17 Str, 12 Con. Overall, pretty lucky for 3d6.
    Skill points: 2 in intimidate, 2 in bluff, 4 in climb, 2 in swim, 2 in Use Rope, 4 in autohypnosis. Of course, everything except for bluff is halved.
    I am in silk clothing, because AMERICA! Also, detect jerk at will.
    As the red day is dawning,
    And the lightning cracks the sky
    They'll raise their hands to the heavens above
    With resentment in their eyes

Note: if I ghost you on FFRP, you have my explicit permission to godmod me.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

I hope you are just intending on chopping wood with those feats. Or I'm not standing next to your target when you get your cleave opportunity :)

25. - Top - End - #205
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Geopol4r View Post
    Hoorah. Using 3.5, I am now a level 1 Paladin of Freedom. Human feat: Power attack. Lvl 1 feat: cleave.

Stats: Int 12, Dex 12, 14 Wis, 12 Cha, 17 Str, 12 Con. Overall, pretty lucky for 3d6.
    Skill points: 2 in intimidate, 2 in bluff, 4 in climb, 2 in swim, 2 in Use Rope, 4 in autohypnosis. Of course, everything except for bluff is halved.
    I am in silk clothing, because AMERICA! Also, detect jerk at will.
    Note that we don't get to roll stats. Look at the OP for the details.

I'd also suggest getting flaws, especially given Dragon Magazine material is in use - but that's just me.

My judgments and medals!

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: On Item Security
    Show

Pathfinder has a section on Intentionally Crafting Cursed Items.

As I don't really want my personal equipment in the hands of others, I do that.

So for all the items intended for personal use, I (or my crafting minions) add:
    1) Requirement: Must have a specific skill (Spellcraft, which I have natively, needed for crafting).
    2) Intermittent Functioning(Dependent): Within ten feet of a half-elf (I qualify due to Racial Heritage, and I am always within ten feet of myself, and so is any item I carry)
    3) Intermittent Functioning(Dependent): Within ten feet of a Divine Caster (which I am, and again: I am always within ten feet of myself)

As a bonus, I get a discount that way (which theoretically also applies to crafting time, as it changes the market price, and the write-up for deliberately cursed items included making money quickly).
    1) 10%
    2) 30%
    3) 30%

Depending on which math this aspect uses (real world or D&D maths), that's either a 30% of normal cost and time (1-0.10-0.30-0.30=0.30) 44.1% of normal costs (0.9×0.7×0.7=0.441)

Spoiler: Alternate Path to Alternate Identities
    Show

Also available when Intentionally Crafting Cursed Items: Drawbacks!

You take a cheap, easily concealed item: Sleeves of Many Garments, perhaps, and make several, adding drawbacks to their use, setting them to the "as long as they're worn" type. The good ones for this:
    "Character’s hair color changes."
    "Character’s skin color changes."
    "Character’s gender changes."

Set those on crafting the item. Make many.
    The first one, of course, is exactly as you are (for going back).
    Every other one? Different set. Change equipment, and you change many of the identifying marks of yourself. You can be a light-skinned blond girl, a dark skinned man with black hair, or anything in between. Someone might think you look familiar (there's no listed options for changing your face around this way), but you're really not going to be associated with things done in an alternate ID.

Another option is to mix & match. Fill out each category with items that go in different slots (each option you like), so you might have five hair color options, four skin color options, and two gender options.

Quote Originally Posted by Geopol4r View Post
    Hoorah. Using 3.5, I am now a level 1 Paladin of Freedom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jopustopin View Post
    Then suddenly, Jopustopin gains a level! It's in Warblade!
    I am curious as to your choice of class. Why melee?
    Yes, they come with a lot of low-level survivability, but seriously: when was the last time you got in a serious scuffle in real life?
    Last edited by Jack_Simth; 2022-01-22 at 07:57 AM.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Ogre in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Simth View Post
    Yes, they come with a lot of low-level survivability, but seriously: when was the last time you got in a serious scuffle in real life?
    As someone who considered going melee:
    1. We don't all live the same lives. Violence may be more of a reality to some of us than to you.
    2. Being magically capable is would be extremely useful. Being physically capable feels good, in a way that having useful tools don't.

My judgments and medals!

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

As someone who considered going melee:
    1. We don't all live the same lives. Violence may be more of a reality to some of us than to you.
    You still have all your real-life capabilities in this scenario. If you've survived this long normally, all you need to do is ... keep up those habits despite your new power for a few years. Do you honestly have reason to believe you'll be killed within the next year?
    2. Being magically capable is would be extremely useful. Being physically capable feels good, in a way that having useful tools don't.
    Even if non-gaming you isn't combat capable, if the general assumptions about the real-life folks' capabilities (mapped to D&D/Pathfinder) is correct, then earth is basically a mundane low level world. The guy who wins the World Mixed Martial Arts competition is probably something like a Monk or Fighter 5. Your basic mugger might be a warrior-2. A Cleric or Druid build (3/4 bab, d8 HD) will be slightly delayed on pure combat options compared to a Fighter/Warblade/Paladin/et cetera, but unless you're getting in multiple serious fights per day, even at level one you'll do very well - Divine Favor or Produce Flame will generally carry the day just fine (unless you're regularly ambushed or something), and Cure Light Wounds will clean up after.

Setting that aside: A basic 3/4ths casting chassis picks up plenty of combat prowess, it's just delayed. A 4th level Cleric or Druid has +3 BAB and 4d8 hit dice. More than that warrior-2. At 10th? +7 BAB, 7d8 hit dice. More than that guy who won the World MMA competition. And if you picked up Craft Wondrous, your stats are likely better across the board, too. Even a Wizard gets half BAB, and will be matching the World MMA champ on basic combat capability by tenth or so.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I really don't remember why I originally went warblade but looking back it was clear that I was going for Suel Arcanamach prestige class so if I live long enough I'll get some spellcasting, fear not!
    I probably picked warblade just to be different though. I recall looking to see what everyone else was doing and then not doing that. I have fun writing my dudes year in the life recap each time too. Wonder if he'll find the Grimoire Arcanamacha in some ancient ruins this year.

Who wants to form a party this year?
    Last edited by Jopustopin; 2022-01-22 at 09:30 AM.
    If I could play dungeons & dragons with only four books: MM I, DMG, PHB, & ToB
    Dragon Shaman Handbook. Fighter Fix.
    Camel's Handbook

30. - Top - End - #210

Honestly, I’ve avoided them in the last few years because of fear of doing time. But there are definitely some jerks out there that pick fights and deserve a bruising in my life.

I think the question can be flipped too. Why caster? If this is a low-power setting already, we’ve gotten by fine with ONLY martials, so what need does magic fulfill that hasn’t already?
    Last edited by Wildstag; 2022-01-22 at 09:44 AM.