New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default A Furry situation.

My GF is brewing up her first campaign, and is making a mercenary group of NPCs. This group is entirely made of anthro animals. We have catfolk, aradan(mice), and kuo-toa(fish). we are having trouble finding a race for dogs, rabbits, and frogs. Trying to avoid the savage species solution. any help would be appreciated.

edit: we considered hound archon, but too much LA+HD

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: A Furry situation.

Marruspawn (Sandstorm) are some of my favorite dog-like races, the marrulurk especially is a tiny jackal man.

Lupin (Dragon Compendium) are another dog-like race.

Bullywugs (Monsters of Faerun) are the classic frog men race, but they might not be froggy enough for you.

Rabbits are the most difficult, since there aren't many rabbit-like races in D&D 3.5. What kind of thing were you hoping for? Cowardice? Speed? Jumping ability?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Rabbits aren't particularly cowardly, but the aesthetic matters most

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Refluffing (heh) is always an option. So take a marrulurk and say it's a rabbit assassin race.

Kobolds are like lizard/dog/humanoid crossbreeds. And grippli (Dragon #324) are brightly colored poison tree frog-men, just as neraphs are toad-man outsiders.
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2022-01-02 at 04:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Gnolls are hyena people, so that covers canine.

Edit: Also, I've always seen kuo-toa as more frog-people based on their picture in the monster manual and their sticky skin, wheras Sahuagin are more fish people due to having fins all over their body. There's also the Bullywug as a frog-like race too.
    Last edited by Crake; 2022-01-02 at 03:45 PM.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateWench

Grippli (dragon magazine #324) are a possible choice for frog folk.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Hare hengeyokai from Oriental Adventures, in their hybrid form, might be your only non homebrew/refluffed option for a rabbit race.
    Last edited by The Glyphstone; 2022-01-02 at 04:18 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Despite it's related to Savage Species (Web Enhancement) - Laika is 1 HD and LA +0

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Over on the Pathfinder 1e side, Grippli is fully written up as a PC-worthy species. They're brightly colored treefrog people, smaller than halflings and gnomes, so they may or may not serve the role your DM has in mind for in her merc group.

But since your GM is making a tightly focused NPC group rather than trying to worldbuild whole societies (for now, at least), I would focus less on the races as a whole and more on designing memorable individuals. What would be cool signature moves for surprises for that rabbitfolk assassin to be able to pull, and how would their personality play with or against the players' expectation of rabbits? If the players find these NPCs fun and engaging, then the GM can start to think about questions like "Is that crazy standing high jump trick specific to Conie, or can all her people do that?"
    Last edited by mucat; 2022-01-02 at 08:35 PM. Reason: brevity

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

But hyenas are more closely related to felines than canids so [etc.]

Monsters of Faerun also featured the Siv, a separate humanoid froglike race.

Web enhancement wise, there's the O'bati.

If you want to get crazier there's always the Mud Slaad from Fiend Folio (maybe take away the summon and make them MH instead of Outsider).
    Kolyarut Avatar by Potatocubed.
    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Only playing Tier 1s is like only eating in five-star restaurants [...] sometimes I just want a cheeseburger and some frogurt. Why limit yourself?
    Awards

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Speaking of sivs - there is also Ba'traa template

Also, Moreau from d20 Modern have canine variant

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Cheating a bit, but there's always Shifters (several Eberron books, MMV), aka the Weretouched. Mostly humanoid by default, they become more animalistic a couple of times per day, complete with stat boosts and a natural weapon or movement option depending on what type of Lycanthrope (or in some cases other voluntary shapeshifter like Druid) they're descended from.

The real advantage, though, is that they've got a lot of support compared to most of the other furry races. Too many feats to name here (anything with the [Shifter] tag also increases the uses/day and duration of your shifting), cool alternate class features (for Druid, Ranger, and Wilder), and prestige classes exclusive to shifters (Moonspeaker, Weretouched Master) or playing off being a Shifter (Bloodclaw Master, Warshaper). There's actually a whole handbook for it.

So while in theory you might be less animalistic than other races, you'd be able to lean into it mechanically a lot better.
    Last edited by PoeticallyPsyco; 2022-01-04 at 03:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Neraphim (PlH) are pretty froggy.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Spamalot in the Playground

Another option for dogs/wolves are PF's Rougarou. You can also do Skinwalkers and play up the animal features since they can stay in hybrid form indefinitely, which gives you a ton more options (bats, crocodiles, boars etc.)

For rabbits, you can convert 5e's Harengon back to 3.5/PF without too much trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

15. - Top - End - #15

Kobold

Anthro animals in 3.5e and PF that you can generally get to a balanced LA+0 3.5 type power level with only minor tweaking:

Grippli
    Hadozee
    Kenku (including PF Tengu)
    Lupin
    Faun
    Nezumi (Including PF Ratfolk)
    Phanaton
    Raptoran
    Tibbit
    Tortle
    Vanara
    Hengeyokai (including PF Kitsune, also check the PF Hengeyokai writeup for options that look more animalistic in normal form)
    Catfolk

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Anthro animals in 3.5e and PF that you can generally get to a balanced LA+0 3.5 type power level with only minor tweaking:

[...]
    Tibbit
    [...]
    Afaik tibbit lack a hybrid form, they're either humanoid (of the monstrous variety no less), or feline, they have no in between.
    World of Madius wiki - My personal campaign setting, including my homebrew Optional Gestalt/LA rules.
    The new Quick Vestige List

Quote Originally Posted by Kazyan View Post
    Playing a wizard the way GitP says wizards should be played requires the equivalent time and effort investment of a university minor. Do you really want to go down this rabbit hole, or are you comfortable with just throwing a souped-up Orb of Fire at the thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by atemu1234 View Post
    Humans are rarely truly irrational, just wrong.

17. - Top - End - #17

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Crake View Post
    Afaik tibbit lack a hybrid form, they're either humanoid (of the monstrous variety no less), or feline, they have no in between.
    Look up some Tibbit fanart sometime. Much of it flavors their bipedal form as the catfolk version of halflings. The look of the humanoid form isn't clearly defined in the source material...

Aside from someone's blue cat-rabbit fursona named Tibbit I mean. The actual d&d inspired stuff. It ranges from vaguely feline facial features halflings to nekomimi type halflings to catfolk anthro halflings.

OwO
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2022-01-04 at 07:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Wildren from Planar Handbook are badger-dwarves with a +1 LA. It's a shame that Goatfolk have 3 RHD, otherwise they'd be decent enough for a +1 LA race. I'm not even certain why they have the hd, their abilities don't seem strong for +1 LA by itself.

For a "kinda-furry" race, see Darfellan, which are basically walking Orca Whales.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Now I'm curious, does 3.5 have a mole-person race?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    AFAIK, the only mole-anything in the 3.X are Brain Mole and Urdlen

Monsters of Faerûn have Groundlings, but they're more "badgers" (or "groundhogs") than "moles"

21. - Top - End - #21

The closest to a mole-person I know of is the Armand, but they're more like an armadillo/mole mix (at least in appearance). Mechanically, they're almost certainly armadillos (it's kinda hard to tell with that art tbh).

P.S. 3.5, and PF to a greater extent, isn't really helpful towards people that want to play furry herbivorous races. Pathfinder's especially bad in that way, with all of their furry races being omnivorous or carnivorous, tending towards the latter. 3.5 at least had herbivorous hengeyokai options in addition to their multitude of monstrous race options.

22. - Top - End - #22

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    The closest to a mole-person I know of is the Armand, but they're more like an armadillo/mole mix (at least in appearance). Mechanically, they're almost certainly armadillos (it's kinda hard to tell with that art tbh).

P.S. 3.5, and PF to a greater extent, isn't really helpful towards people that want to play furry herbivorous races. Pathfinder's especially bad in that way, with all of their furry races being omnivorous or carnivorous, tending towards the latter. 3.5 at least had herbivorous hengeyokai options in addition to their multitude of monstrous race options.
    There's plenty of 3rd party PF stuff on D20PFSRD for rabbit folk or similar...

23. - Top - End - #23
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Gnomes. :D

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Khazreil View Post
    My GF is brewing up her first campaign, and is making a mercenary group of NPCs. This group is entirely made of anthro animals. We have catfolk, aradan(mice), and kuo-toa(fish). we are having trouble finding a race for dogs, rabbits, and frogs. Trying to avoid the savage species solution. any help would be appreciated.

edit: we considered hound archon, but too much LA+HD
    Um ... I notice nobody's pointed out the obvious, that being: these are NPCs. Level Adjustment is only relevant for PCs. DMs only have to calculate off CR, if anything (and eyeball it on the four crucials of attack bonus, damage, AC, and special ability DCs). LA can be freely ignored.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Wildstag View Post
    For a "kinda-furry" race, see Darfellan, which are basically walking Orca Whales.
    Now I want to know if there's a baleen whale based race.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tag365 View Post
    Now I want to know if there's a baleen whale based race.
    That would make quite a splash if there were. But I don't think there is one, so I guess whale never know.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    That would make quite a splash if there were. But I don't think there is one, so I guess whale never know.
    No need to keep harpoon on about it.

28. - Top - End - #28

Kobold

Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale, Savage Species pg #215. That said, most of the Anthropomorphic Animals (there's a big list!) in Savage Species are... very low effort in their stats, let's say. I wouldn't use it as anything other than a starting point.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale, Savage Species pg #215.
    I already own that book and know that race exists. So, do you know of any baleen whale races that aren't baleen whales with the anthropomorphic template applied, aka, something other than the Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale?

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Tag365 View Post
    I already own that book and know that race exists. So, do you know of any baleen whale races that aren't baleen whales with the anthropomorphic template applied, aka, something other than the Anthropomorphic Baleen Whale?
    Awaken spell? Maybe lycanthropy?
    Last edited by MaxiDuRaritry; 2022-01-19 at 03:57 PM.