New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes II (WFRP 2e) IC

Gabriele is already awake and will stick her head outside the door of her room just in case Beauregard actually meant Harman harm.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Think someone misinformed you Beauregard. Our contract was to uncover the problem. Task completed there's giant lizards eating your workers and guards. You want us to go down there again and deal with it. I'm thinking that's worth some more clink but I suppose that Sol might see it differently. Harman says with a yawn. When are you planning on heading out?

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele will add, 'Better off those things die then they come up to hunt. I wouldn't have a problem helping out with that.'

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"That's the spirit," chuckles Beauregard at Gabriele. "We're leavin' at noon. Meet us by the mine entrance and we'll head down. Glad someone wants to help us get rid of whatever's down there."

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Harman shakes his head at Gabriele when Beauregard leaves Was trying to barter a little coin for us but I guess its better that we are there then not there. I just don't like a slaver thinking we work for free.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LarsWester View Post
    Harman shakes his head at Gabriele when Beauregard leaves Was trying to barter a little coin for us but I guess its better that we are there then not there. I just don't like a slaver thinking we work for free.
    'Normally I'd agree, but I'd say there are other ways to get paid if Tollares feels like he owes us for helping out. Long as he pays us for going down there in the first place. At least this way we'll have some bodies to hide behind.' Gabriele would not be particularly bothered if the lizards eat a few of them first. 'If money is a problem though, maybe we could work something out.'

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin emerges from the room, absent-mindedly scratching his sideburns. "We're not getting paid for two days anyway, so it's not like we've got money to burn in the meantime. In any case, I'm sort o' curious to find out if our theory holds up. We haven't actually found any trace of either guards or slaves - them being eaten is just our best guess, remember?"

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Shortly after, while you are eating breakfast, a messenger from Galeazzo finds you. He tells you that Galeazzo has his half of the money for you down at the warehouse. He also wants to hear how things went down in the mines. Once you're there, he pays you your wages (ten crowns apiece) and sighs heavily. "If it's not one thing, it's another. Giant lizards, eh? We've been pouring a lot of money into this operation. Tell me, when you wandering around down there did the tunnels seem stable? Would operations resume if we can clear out this nest of monsters?"
    Last edited by dojango; 2022-08-09 at 08:52 AM.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

'They're probably living down there because the town's full of food. The good news is that if there's many more of the big ones we probably would have heard about it already.' Gabriele assumed that someone would have noticed if there were more of those things coming to the surface. 'The mine wasn't falling down if that's what you mean. The Dwarf tunnels are a mess and their lift isn't working anymore but it's safe enough if someone kills the lizards.'

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"We passed a lot of tunnels on our way down to where Tollares men had broken into the Dwarf caverns. I'm no miner, but I guess if the lizards are removed then there's nothing to keep Tollares from sending his workers down there again. As for the Dwarf tunnels, it didn't seem like there was much mining going on in there in the first place. There was one tunnel which I guess was a mine once, but it had collapsed and it didn't look like anyone had tried to clear it recently. All in all, unless there's more to the Dwarfhold than we managed to scout, my guess is that Tollares can't really expand his mining operation through there anyway."

11. - Top - End - #281
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

I'll echo what Gabriele said the dwarfs had a lift but I think the mine came under attack years ago. I believe the dwarf's collapse part of the mine to safeguard themselves. They definitely damaged the lift to refuse easy access. If some engineering minded folks got down there I think the blocks could be removed and the lift repaired. But not sure how much those investments would cost nor what's beyond the blocked passages. Harman adds with a yawn. He didn't get a good nights sleep with troubled dreams and Beauregard waking him early. Oh yeah Sol's guys mentioned something about Vorgrimler being interested in something within the mines. Not sure if it's the lizard's or what the lizards are nesting on. But either way we intend to guide Sol's boys to the lizards and take a few shots of our own at the beasts. There's some confusion over the what we were hired to do in the first place but I think we want to be there anyways so that's not really a concern.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

'With more men there's less chance any of us get our arms chewed off. I'd say Marina and Zdenko didn't deserve it either. Not so sure about some of the guards here.' To Harman, 'We might be a little curious about whatever Vorgrimler's into as well.'

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Galeazzo listens and nods. "Clearing out those monsters is the next step. Yes. All I know is the dwarves abandoned this place many years ago. Before any of us were alive. They have no more claim to the place." He sounds like he is trying to convince himself, and moves on. "Let me know if you need anything before you head down and I will try to obtain it, if I can."

After you leave his warehouse, it is nearly time to head over to the mines. Once you arrive, you see Beauregard trying to organize a posse of a score of men, while Vorgrimler and Jedidiah stand to the side, watching the chaos unfold into something orderly. Also standing to one side, eating a roll and eying the scene is Gretchen Manglepie. She spots you coming and saunters over. With a grin she says to Severin, "Hey, it's the Imperial. How ya liking Inselberg? No place quite like it, I reckon."

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

To Galeazzo, 'You reckon the Dwarves might object to anyone poking around down there?'

Later she'll be keeping an eye out for Tick.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    To Galeazzo, 'You reckon the Dwarves might object to anyone poking around down there?'
    He scowls. "They seem to think that everything their ancestors touched belongs to them. They ain't been around here for at least a century."

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Harman leaves the sword he was using before with Galeazzo and straps the one of dwarven make in its place. Between meeting with Galeazzo and the posse forming up to enter the mines Harman will pull Gabrielle and Severin aside and show them the ring he recovered from the mine.
    It looks valuable and I didn't really want to share any profits from selling it with Marina and Zdenko. You two are a different matter. I figure I've been with you a bit longer and actually trust you as much as you can trust someone you met in the Border Princes. What do you think it's worth?
    Harman shows the both of them a gold ring with purple stones set in it before slipping it back into his coin purse and hiding his purse under his armor.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    Also standing to one side, eating a roll and eying the scene is Gretchen Manglepie. She spots you coming and saunters over. With a grin she says to Severin, "Hey, it's the Imperial. How ya liking Inselberg? No place quite like it, I reckon."
    "It's as wretched a hive of scum and villainy as I've ever come across. So a lot like Altdorf, really. Just smaller, with more Dwarf tunnels and no Emperor," Severin answers with a nasty grin of his own. "Say, you're Tollares' chief scout - how come he didn't send you down to look for his lost lambs?"

It looks valuable and I didn't really want to share any profits from selling it with Marina and Zdenko. You two are a different matter. I figure I've been with you a bit longer and actually trust you as much as you can trust someone you met in the Border Princes. What do you think it's worth?
    Harman shows the both of them a gold ring with purple stones set in it before slipping it back into his coin purse and hiding his purse under his armor.
    Severin let's out a low whistle. "I haven't the first clue, but it sure looks like it could fetch a pretty sum. Not here though - I'd be surprised if there's anyone in Inselberg with enough loose change to give us a fair price even if they wanted to," Severin replies.

"By the way, have you given your new sword a swing yet?" he asks with a nod at the Dwarf weapon now hanging from Harman's belt.
    Last edited by rax; 2022-08-16 at 04:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    Severin let's out a low whistle. "I haven't the first clue, but it sure looks like it could fetch a pretty sum. Not here though - I'd be surprised if there's anyone in Inselberg with enough loose change to give us a fair price even if they wanted to," Severin replies.

"By the way, have you given your new sword a swing yet?" he asks with a nod at the Dwarf weapon now hanging from Harman's belt.
    Harman nods his head. I was thinking a piece like this might be of interest to your employer back in Bremcote. I haven't tested in combat yet but it seems finely crafted. The dwarfs usually made good stuff. I might give it a go against those lizards down there.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

He scowls. "They seem to think that everything their ancestors touched belongs to them. They ain't been around here for at least a century."
    'If they ever want me out of somewhere I'm happy enough to leave. Until then I don't see any harm in it.'

Quote Originally Posted by LarsWester View Post
    Harman leaves the sword he was using before with Galeazzo and straps the one of dwarven make in its place. Between meeting with Galeazzo and the posse forming up to enter the mines Harman will pull Gabrielle and Severin aside and show them the ring he recovered from the mine.
    'Oh I'm very trustworthy.' Gabriele grins. On the ring, 'That's pretty. I'd have to agree with Severin though. Maybe find someone who can give you a decent price for it if you're going to sell it on.'

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gabriele's comment seems to touch a nerve and Galeazzo says "Harm? Harm in letting them have all the good mines just because they saw it a few hundred years ago? This land is full of good, high quality ores and Tilea has just as much claim on it as anyone. They abandoned the place and we're running it now, and they don't get to come waltz back here and take it all back..."

Gretchen says to Severin, "Oh, I don't do underground stuff. I told Sol back when they opened the mines I wasn't goin' down there. I mean, yeah, I guess I wanna see these giant lizards too. But patrolling down there? Count me out. Although, I guess, those goat-herders been complaining about somethin' stealing from their herds lately. If these lizards are doin' it then we got ourselves a culprit."

Gabriele looks around for Tick while they're near the mines, and she spots him at the far end of the compound, berating some workers who are dealing with the smelter. He seems to be occupied with that, for now.

Harman hefts the sword, getting a feel for its weight and balance. It is of best-quality make and has dwarven writing etched onto the blade.

Spoiler: Harman
    Show
    As you examine the writing you have a memory of your dream, the dwarf shouting at you in his foreign tongue.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Harman is bored as the group gets organized he gives his new sword a couple of slashes at the air in front of him. He mutters to Severin who is standing near by. It's a fine blade despite it's age. He shudders a bit while admiring at the blade's edge in the light of the tavern. Then looking up and across the room to Beauregard he calls out Beauregard are we ready to go give them lizard brains a meeting with shot, arrow, bolt and blade?

Spoiler: The Blade
    Show

Oh Harman hasn't forgotten the dream. He just doesn't know what he can do about it. He doesn't know dwarven or know anyone who does that is near enough to consult with.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Ettin in the Playground

To Galeazzo, 'Hey I'm with you. All I'm saying is they don't seem like the type you want to piss off without a really good reason. I've heard the stories.'

Outside the mine Gabriele will make a point of keeping others between herself and Tick whenever she can.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"What's the trouble with going underground?" Severin asks Manglepie. "Is it these specific tunnels or being underground in general?"

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Beauregard looks up suddenly at Harman and then sighs. "Yeah, yeah, hold your horses. We're just waiting on a few things. Gods damn it, what took so long," he turns and snaps as he sees a man leading a few halflings over, pushing a cart full of supplies. "Come on, come on," he shouts at the men. "Grab rations, torches, rope, let's get moving!"

Fortunately Tick is busy with bossing around some of the slave laborers and he doesn't really pay attention to the commotion at the other side of the mine. Gretchen turns to Severin and gives him a look and says, "It ain't natural bein' underground. Not unless yer dead. Gimmie the open air and sky, thanks." She chuckles a bit and says, "Lookit these tall boys, gone all soft living in garrison. Keep movin, sleep under the open sky every night, there's the life, eh Proudfoot?"

After a few minutes the crowd coalesces into some order. Beauregard tells Harman to come up front with him, and lets the rest of you sort yourself out into some form of order. "Lead on," he tells Harman. "You know the way."

25. - Top - End - #295
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele will stock up on food and a fresh torch. If she hasn't already had the opportunity, she'll see if she can replenish her quiver.

If Harman was going to lead the way she'll stay close behind him.

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Harman nods to Beauregard. He turns back to address the mob Alright fall in by two or three. He waits for the shuffling to die down. If you're in the center of a three light your torch. Your job is to keep the rest of us in light. If your torch goes out Sol will see to an appropriate punishment. The rest of you weapons at the ready. Keep your eyes peeled. Don't forget to keep an eye on the ceiling as well. These lizards can climb and drop on you unexpectedly. Alright after me.

Harman will lead the posse down into the mines intent on heading directly to the large chamber with the causeway where Pietro died.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Gretchen turns to Severin and gives him a look and says, "It ain't natural bein' underground. Not unless yer dead. Gimmie the open air and sky, thanks." She chuckles a bit and says, "Lookit these tall boys, gone all soft living in garrison. Keep movin, sleep under the open sky every night, there's the life, eh Proudfoot?"
    "Eh, I'm partial to soft feather beds myself. Camping under the open sky is a dangerous business back home - there's bandits, Beastmen, and worse in the woods. The more time you sleep outside, the more chances you have of running across something that wants to eat you," Severin replies with a shrug. "Maybe it's different down here though?"

When the posse moves out, Severin sticks close to Gabriele and Harman. When he thinks no one else can hear, he whispers furiously: "Someone want to tell me why we're the ones in front?"
    Last edited by rax; 2022-08-18 at 01:32 PM.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele is on the lookout for side tunnels and the like that might allow one of the bigger lizards to show up unexpectedly. It was hard not to glance at the ceiling as well. Her shield is out.

At Severin's comment she'll glance back at the posse to assess how well armed they looked. 'Would like to think I could hear one of the big ones if it's interested enough to get closer. I'm going to drop back once we get closer to the big cavern.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Perception vs.Int 38 (+20 Acute Hearing)
    (1d100)[4]

29. - Top - End - #299
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Feather bed?" says Gretchen with surprise. "Didn't realize you were a toff back north. What're you doing out here?"

The large group heads back through the caves and tunnels towards where the lizard nest was. As you go through the room of bones, Vorgrimler stops and starts looking at the bones, and the walls, and sifting through debris until Beauregard politely reminds him that they are hunting beasts and need to keep moving. Harman points the way to the down staircase and the party starts heading down the stairs. Once again you see the underground lake and the causeway stretching out into the darkness. Vorgrimler pushes his way to the front and says with awe, "Watercrypts..."

Beauregard is less impressed, and has one of his pistols drawn, and is scouting intently for signs of the lizards. Even checking the ceilings, per Gabriele's warning. Gabriele spots the animals moving around in the water, just at the edge of sight, and points them out. They don't seem to be willing to approach the large crowd of people.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Alright let's press on to the nest. Yesterday one of the largest lizards was resting there. On your toes everyone. They may all charge at the same time as we approach the mother.
    Harman will start out towards the lizard nest he has the dwarven sword drawn and his shield out.