New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #421
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes II (WFRP 2e) IC

Vorgrimler shrugs and says, "Who knows what lies beyond Morr's door. Perhaps they have reasons to fear going past it. In the old days, human necromancers would bind their souls to this world, at least until Sigmar put a stop to that sort of thing. The danger is past, is it? I did not get a chance to inspect the tombs after all. The dwarves called this place 'Water-crypts' and believed that the underground rivers would deliver their souls past Morr's gate. I believe Thrakdul Grimfeet is buried there, it would be interesting to see his final resting spot. He was one of Heraklon's boon companions in his adventuring days and as a ruler. It was abandoned some time ago though, I suspect the lizards we saw had something to do with it."

E: Severin, your post is on the page before this.
    Last edited by dojango; 2022-12-31 at 10:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #422
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I'll do my very best," Severin promises. After Gretchen and the other scouts ride out, he makes his way back to the inn to meet up with Gabriele and Harman.

He fills them in on what Gretchen told him and inquires about what they learned from Vorgrimler. "Does the moniker 'Drunken Weasel' mean anything to you, Harman? You were looking for a river bandit from back north, aye?"

(OOC: I'm assuming that the other PCs conversation with Vorgrimler is taking place the night before as well.)

3. - Top - End - #423
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    Vorgrimler shrugs and says, "Who knows what lies beyond Morr's door. Perhaps they have reasons to fear going past it. In the old days, human necromancers would bind their souls to this world, at least until Sigmar put a stop to that sort of thing. The danger is past, is it? I did not get a chance to inspect the tombs after all. The dwarves called this place 'Water-crypts' and believed that the underground rivers would deliver their souls past Morr's gate. I believe Thrakdul Grimfeet is buried there, it would be interesting to see his final resting spot. He was one of Heraklon's boon companions in his adventuring days and as a ruler. It was abandoned some time ago though, I suspect the lizards we saw had something to do with it."

E: Severin, your post is on the page before this.
    'Maybe Dwarves have their own thing going on after they die. It would stand to reason but the Sigmarites back home didn't go into details.' Gabriele is slightly aghast at the idea that Vorgrimler would consider going back down there so soon. 'Remember that there's at least one more of the big lizards down there and it took a lot of effort to put it down. I'd say if you're really interested you might want to come back with more men. Or even see if you can find a Dwarf that's willing to show you around. Having to fight in the dark is the real problem.' Gabriele watches Vorgrimler carefully, 'Saying all that it seems a lot to go down there for idle curiosity. You writing a book?'

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    He fills them in on what Gretchen told him and inquires about what they learned from Vorgrimler. "Does the moniker 'Drunken Weasel' mean anything to you, Harman? You were looking for a river bandit from back north, aye?"

(OOC: I'm assuming that the other PCs conversation with Vorgrimler is taking place the night before as well.)
    'What kind of name is that anyway? Wonder if he just has one of those kind of faces.' Gabriele will pass on what she'd been told of Thrakdul Grimfeet. 'Feel like we should talk to someone who knows the local history when we get back.' Gabriele skates over the details of who they would be talking to with Harman here. 'Vorgrimler's obviously looking for something but I'm not sure if I could work out what even if we went down there on our own time. Do you think he's visiting the graves of Heraklon's other friends as well?'

4. - Top - End - #424
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Vorgrimler's eyes widen as Gabriele mentions the other one, and he says, "Ah, that is interesting. But also worrying. Another one of those beasts. Hmm. I don't think Sol would let the dwarves poke around there, and if I know the dwarves, they would make all sorts of claims to what is beneath there. And yes, I am writing a book. An epic of Heraklon the Great, for I forget, since you are not from around here, you probably haven't heard of the stories they tell of Heraklon the Great. His tale deserves to be known by the other realms of men; a mighty warrior and cunning general, he carved out a kingdom here several centuries ago. Legend has it that he owned a magic sword, given to him by the dwarves. While the claims that it could call down lighting or cut through solid rock seem unlikely, it could certainly cut down the wizards who ruled this place down, and their servants. At any rate, as the legends go, when Heraklon was an old man, one of his companions, the dwarf Thrakdul Grimfeet, came to him and asked for his help one last time. The two of them set out, with Heraklon's magic sword, and only Grimfeet returned, several years later. He gave Heraklon's grandson, who had become the new king, several paintings, and told him that if there ever was a need for the men of this region to use the sword again, they should follow the path laid down in the paintings. Several of the paintings have disappeared over the centuries, unfortunately, so whatever riddle was hidden there may have been lost as well. Ofttimes the dwarves record their deeds and secrets on their tombs; I thought if I could locate the tomb it might have some interesting information about Grimfeet or his exploits with Heraklon."

5. - Top - End - #425
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Gabriele will pass on what she'd been told of Thrakdul Grimfeet. 'Feel like we should talk to someone who knows the local history when we get back.' Gabriele skates over the details of who they would be talking to with Harman here. 'Vorgrimler's obviously looking for something but I'm not sure if I could work out what even if we went down there on our own time. Do you think he's visiting the graves of Heraklon's other friends as well?'
    "It seems to me that he's looking for Heraklon's sword. Wasn't he working for some fella calling himself the new Imperator? I'll bet having the sword of Heraklon would help a lot in legitimizing that claim - symbols are important for the ruling class everywhere," Severin offers his opionion.

"I didn't realize all the paintings were made or commissioned by this Grimfeet fellow, though. That explains why the painting in Goodchild's attic had Dwarf writing. We really should get round to getting that translated, and then take a closer look at the two in the castle. I recall Le Houet saying that the others are in Monteche, but going by Vorgrimler we can probably be sure that the Imperator only has some of them," he added.

OOC: Jumping in on the assumption the Gabriele will have passed on all the info in the latest post as well.

6. - Top - End - #426
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Returning to the merchant's camp you find it a bustle of activity as Lorenzo is breaking camp. He says, "This place is getting on my nerves. I am fairly certain they won't be delivering any more copper. We're heading back to Bremcote soon, if you have any last business here, you should attend to it, quickly. Oh, and Galeazzo dropped this off for you." He hands you the rest of your pay from exploring the mines.

At that point, Harman speaks up. He says, "I'm heading south. To Appledel. Heard rumors there's a witness to the attacks down there."

Lorenzo seems a little put out by that, but shrugs. "Try not to get yourself killed," he says as he walks off to yell at a few of the drivers, who are slacking off.

Harman says to Severin and Gabriele, "Sorry to leave you in the lurch, but if there's a witness alive it can't wait. Here," he says, handing Severin a gold ring with purple stones in it. "Pawn it if you can. I'll try and meet you in Bremcote in a few weeks and you can give me my share then."

Spoiler
    Show
    10g apiece, the other half of your pay. Harman is heading out to do some scouting on his own, perhaps your paths will cross again? Who knows.

7. - Top - End - #427
    Ettin in the Playground

To Vorgrimler, 'I got the gist of it. He was Sigmar or Magnus reborn somehow. And we don't know where he was buried? I wonder if this Grimfeet actually bothered to tell anyone where he ended up or if it was just the case that no one else bothered to record it.' They really needed to pass this on to Le Houet. 'Whether or not you're going back into the mine, maybe Grimfeet had children. I think the Dwarves are supposed to be big in recording everything their ancestors got up to.'

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    Sorry for the delay. Brain doesn't seem to be working

--------------

To Severin, 'And a magic sword probably wouldn't be half bad either. Whatever it actually does that's magic.' On the paintings, 'Seems like it doesn't narrow it down if they aren't mostly together. How do we know they're even all still in the Border Princes?'

----------------

To Harman, 'You're going alone? You can fight and all but maybe find a group to travel with. Look after yourself.'

8. - Top - End - #428
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

To Gabriele
    "We don't, but if we can track down the ones that are here and get a good look at 'em, maybe we can do what Vorgrimler's doing and use other sources to fill in the blanks," Severin suggests. "I mean, if we find the sword, we can probably name our price to any of the local bigwigs, as long as we're sly about it," he chuckles.

To Lorenzo
    "You don't thing Sol's going to send any more men down there to finish clearing out the lizards?" he asks when the Tilean suggests that the mining operation will be shutting down. "Any idea what might happen to the...workers...if there's no more mining to be done?"

OOC: Maybe we can have one more go at seeing if we can find a clue as to where our Halfling escapee/escapees might have gone before we leave? We should be fairly well trusted by now, so us poking about on the surface near the mines might not be something anyone cares too much about. Plus, do we want to see if we can find a means of making Tick disappear for good?

9. - Top - End - #429
    Ettin in the Playground

To Severin

'Yeah. No point in trying to sell it to someone who can just take it off you by force.'

Lorenzo

'Presumably they're more valuable alive at least.' Gabriele adds darkly.

ooc - It's worth a try. Maybe we can find out where the slaves are kept when they aren't mining. Unless that's already obvious from passing through the area on the way to the mines.

10. - Top - End - #430
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The last thing Vorgrimler had said to Gabriele was "Sigmar reborn? I remember when just saying that could get you in a lot of trouble. If you ever have an interest in learning more about applied theology, we have a professor at the university in Monteche who studies that."

Lorenzo says to Severin and Gabriele, "The trading houses won't let something simple like a bunch of overgrown lizards stop the mines. If Sol doesn't do it then Galeazzo will find someone to take care of it. They've spent enough that hiring a few more mercenaries probably wouldn't be a problem. Just don't leave me hanging..." he trails off. "There are other mines in the region, I'm sure the workers can be employed somewhere if the mine is truly unsalvageable."

OOC: You've been through the mine often enough that you could see a bunch of tool sheds, some slightly better quality buildings that are probably for the guards, and some rather poorer-quality buildings that might house the workers.

11. - Top - End - #431
    Ettin in the Playground

Earlier

Gabriele will shrug off her unintended heresy. 'If Heraklon was going around being heroic I'd hope the Sigmarites wouldn't object too much, but I might just look the man up.'

12. - Top - End - #432
    Ettin in the Playground

Lorenzo

'Well if they did take them somewhere else it's got to be easier for them to escape then it would be from a place like this.' Gabriele replies looking towards the mesa. To Lorenzo, 'We'll not keep you too much longer.'

Renn

Gabriele is going to go to the mine to see if the people running things there took her seriously.

13. - Top - End - #433
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Severin and Gabriele arrive at the gate and ask if they can deliver a message to one of the workers. There are two guards at the gate. They look at each other and then one of them says, "Let me ask the boss, I dunno." He starts to lope off. The other guard then says, "Yeah, gimmie the message, I'll give it over," and makes the universal gesture for 'bribe me'.

14. - Top - End - #434
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele will hand over a gold piece. 'How much would it take to buy the lot of them anyway? Just out of interest.'

15. - Top - End - #435
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Sorry, can't hand over the message - we was hired to hand deliver it, so that's what I'm going to do. Professional ethics, you see?" Severin adds. "Besides, we don't even know for sure if our man is here. But we certainly won't begrudge you a commission for your help in finding him."
    Last edited by rax; 2023-02-07 at 12:23 PM.

16. - Top - End - #436
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The guard shrugs at that and a few moments later a short thug shows up. He looks broad and tough, though.. "You lot again? Clear off. This is private property and you ain't welcome." He whistles and a few of the guards lounging at the barracks perk their ears up and start hustling over.
    Last edited by dojango; 2023-02-09 at 08:58 PM.

17. - Top - End - #437
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"What, no appreciation for the swords that took down the lizard what's been eating your guards and workforce?" Severin shoots back. "I don't think we've met - would you be Renn the Chiseler?"

18. - Top - End - #438
    Ettin in the Playground

'Private property? I feel like anyone who cared about that would have stayed in the Empire.' Gabriele will keep her hand close to her sword. 'Unless you think we look like a threat to you all?'

19. - Top - End - #439
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Yeah, that's me. You helped us out, yeah, so maybe you think that means we like you? Nah, get lost. You want to help out again maybe you can. Or you can grab a pick and..." he sees Gabriele and says, "Yah, you ain't a threat to us. Ain't nobody here a threat to us. Other way around, I think. I dunno what the Empire is about, but here, everything you see belongs to Sol and his lads." Four guards come up to the gates and look around.

"What's up, boss? You want us to bounce them?" asks one of them.

Renn just looks at Severin and Gabriele, waiting for their next move.

20. - Top - End - #440
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I don't particularly expect anyone here to like me, but I was naturally hoping for a friendlier reception when all I want is to finish a job I started. I suppose we can always see if Sol is feeling friendlier, but I figured we try to get this done the easy way, seeing as how we'll be shipping out soon. So, anything we can do to right here and now to get in and deliver the message, or do we actually have to trouble Sol with something like this?" Severin asks.

21. - Top - End - #441
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    "Yah, you ain't a threat to us. Ain't nobody here a threat to us. Other way around, I think. I dunno what the Empire is about, but here, everything you see belongs to Sol and his lads."
    Gabriele takes the man's meaning and glares at him before replying. 'It's all Sol's until someone bigger takes it off him. Isn't that how it works down here? Maybe you'll get lucky and get to grow old here gracefully'

22. - Top - End - #442
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Renn looks back and forth at the two of you. After a moment, he turns to the guards and says, "If they are still here by the time I get back to my office, give em' a good thumpin' to remind them who's in charge here." Then he starts walking away.

23. - Top - End - #443
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Well, it was worth a try. Some people just can't be talked to," Severin says to Gabriele with a shrug. "Let's head back to the town."

Out of earshot of the guards
    "I don't know that it's worth the trouble of actually trying to get Sol to let us speak to one of his slaves, but I think we should still see if we can get a lead on Myrtle. Either we go back out to the sinkhole and look around again, or we find Tick and see if we can beat some information out of him...and then maybe he slips and accidentally falls on his knife a few times. What do you think?"
    Last edited by rax; 2023-02-19 at 05:20 PM.

24. - Top - End - #444
    Ettin in the Playground

Out of earshot

'Depends if we have anything to give Sol in return doesn't it. We can always have a go at getting in without asking. I know they're guarding the place but how hard are they going to work to keep people from getting in.' On the sinkhole, 'I can try but its not always possible to find something even if it's still there to found. Maybe look at the land and ask ourselves if we were an escaped slave where would we run to first.'

25. - Top - End - #445
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"What do we have to offer Sol that wouldn't seem suspicious to him? I worry that the more noise we make about speaking to old man Riverhopper, the more interest Sol's going to take in why we really want to speak to him...and maybe my professional ethics won't sound so convincing to a jumped up bandit. And breaking into the compound is going to get us into a lot of trouble if we're caught. At the very least, we won't be reporting back to Le Houet any time soon," Severin answers.

"So, yeah - unless you've got a particularly bright idea buzzing around in your noggin, I'm feeling that our best shot is to head back to the sinkhole and take another look at the lay of the land."

26. - Top - End - #446
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele sighs. 'You're probably right. At this point a fight with one of those guys might cheer me right up. Let's take another look at the sinkhole then.'

Gabriele will go and have another go and looking for tracks. This time she will try to expand the area that she's checking to see if there's any sign that a Halfling might have passed through.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Follow Trail vs. Int 38
    (1d100)[26]
    FP if needed
    (1d100)[36]

27. - Top - End - #447
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin does his best to assist in the search...

Spoiler: Follow Trail check
    Show
    (1d100)[100] vs. Int 44

Used an FP to re-roll in the OOC thread.
    Last edited by rax; 2023-02-25 at 05:58 PM.

28. - Top - End - #448
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gabriele finds the trail again and follows it for a bit. It is over a week old and the traces are faint. She finds where the quarry has stopped to relieve themselves, and where they stopped to forage. The trail is meandering for a while, and then heads southwest. Gabriele and Severing spend a lot of time combing for tracks, and soon realize that the sun is going down over the mountains soon. They can keep searching in the dark, or head back to the caravanserai before sunset.

29. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"If our escapee stopped to forage, my guess is he or she wasn't planning on sticking around," Severin mused. "Plus, they're heading southwest, which would be the most direct route to...Taal's Crossing, maybe? Closer to Stralwald and the Duke's lands, at least. I think maybe we'd best just wish them luck for now, and if it is Myrtle Hornwood, I hope she makes it home safely."

30. - Top - End - #450
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele is inwardly kicking herself for not noticing this the first time. 'I wouldn't say it's safe but it's a lot better then staying here. I can't exactly track them all the way to the next town even in daylight. Let's get back.'