New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes II (WFRP 2e) IC

Flora simply nods and says, "I don't know much about magic and witches and all that, but I suppose that's possible. Either way she died a long time ago so I don't think she can hurt us or help us anymore."

2. - Top - End - #602
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Well it ain't right either way, invading a body's dreams like that," Severin mutters. "But thank you, knowing you've dreamed of her as well at least means I'm not losing my mind."

"I'm about ready to go get our horses. How about you, Gabriele?"

3. - Top - End - #603
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele considers Flora's account of her dreams. 'It's nice to know she's looking out for you by the sounds of it. What does your Gran say about this Green Witch anyway?'

4. - Top - End - #604
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Oh, she knows all the stories. The Green Witch learnt magic from the elves, she was Heraklon's companion an' lover, she used her magic against the old masters. One time she enchanted a bunch of trees so they came alive and grabbed a bunch of beastmen and held them tight; all Leonidas an' Thrakdul had to do was walk past cuttin' throats! She was a great human mage, probably one of the best. Died of old age in her bed, which is more than all the other old heroes can say."

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"It's the only proper way to go," Severin agreed with a chuckle at Flora's mention of dying in bed.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele mulled that over. 'There's supposed .to be a bunch of nature wizards up in Altdorf. Maybe she one of theirs. Or it happened long before all that got started. Obviously this woman is dead...?' She didn't sound certain about that. Who could tell with wizards. 'Does anyone know what happened to her before that. Does anyone know where she's buried?'

7. - Top - End - #607
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"I don't know anything about Altdorf. She lived here for many decades. Gramma said her Gramma knew her. She's buried over in the old cemetery outside of town, someone put up a stone for her, but it's mostly worn down by now."

8. - Top - End - #608
    Ettin in the Playground

'Me neither really. I just know there's a bunch of wizard schools up north. Supposed to be a lot of trees around one of them.' To Severin, 'I suppose at least we know where to find her.' Gabriele awkwardly decides to talk around the fact that a dead wizard might have been talking to Severin.

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Aye, and she knows where to find us," he mutters back. "Let's get the horses. I could use some fresh air after being stuck in me own head this long!"

10. - Top - End - #610
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Bidding farewell to Flora and a few other well-wishers, you head back across the river in a small boat to where Bert and his friends are encamped. Bert, at least, seems glad to see you and shakes Severin's hand enthusiastically. "Good to see ya looking well, chief. I knew they'd do ya right back in town. Look, if you're headin' north, we're headin' that way tomorrow. Why don'tcha rest up here for the day and we can travel together for a spell? Might be a sight safer than travelling separately, you know?"

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Sounds like a plan to me. What do you think, Gabriele?" Severin asks his friend.

12. - Top - End - #612
    Ettin in the Playground

Sounds good. I'd appreciate the company.'

13. - Top - End - #613
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Bert gives Severin and Gabriele a hearty slap on the shoulder and says, "Great! We'll be finishin' up here shortly. I know this stuff should be aged a bit, but the soldiers don't care, they just want to get drunk, and we gotta get this stuff moved before the tax collectors figure out what we're up to, ya know?" He and the others spend the rest of the day finishing off their work, and by the next morning they have a few barrels of beer loaded up on a small cart. Bert and the others pass around a cup of the stuff, offering some to Severin and Gabrielle. It smells terrible, and Bert just shrugs and says, "It'll probably improve with age," but he doesn't sound entirely convinced. At any rate, they lead you on some back trails north for two days until you make camp in the hills northeast of Stralwald. Bert turns to Severin and Gabriele and says, "We gotta go meet my guy, you want ta stick around?"

14. - Top - End - #614
    Ettin in the Playground

'As long as no one goes blind you should be fine.' Gabriele will cautiously take a sip of the beer.

Later, 'This would be the type of guy that lets you make some money quietly? You trust him'

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Depends on how much further you're going," Severin says. "Or are you looking for backup for your meeting?" he chuckles.

16. - Top - End - #616
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"Trust him? Nah, I know him better enough for that. An' if he wants to beat us up and take our money there ain't much we can do what with bein' in an army camp an' all. But if I know soldiers they wanta get drunk more than anything and that's what we're offerin'. Seems like the Duke don't hold with it and the soldiers here are gettin' bored. So I think we got a good opportunity here on both sides, a chance ta make some money."

17. - Top - End - #617
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Well, I don't suppose a detour to meet the Duke's men will cause us much of a delay. We might even be able to pick up some news about the state of affairs back at Castle Bremcote. Shall we tag along?" Severin asks Gabriele.

18. - Top - End - #618
    Ettin in the Playground

'Sure. Might as well help Burt out. And if this guy is doing this behind the Duke's back for all we know he might be useful to know.'

19. - Top - End - #619
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Looks like we'll be going with you then," Severin says to Bert.

20. - Top - End - #620
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The three of you leave the others with the cart and head towards the camp. It appears to be a well-built fort; a wooden palisade surrounded by a ditch command a small valley in the hills. As you approach, a few sentries run over, hands on their blades. "What's your business here?" a sergeant asks. Bert responds, "Got a message for Barnaby," and the guards relax a little. They let you into the camp. There are a few wooden buildings at one side of the camp and the rest is filled with neatly-ordered tents and a small open space for assemblies, complete with stocks and a small review stand. A few unfortunate soldiers are taking their time in the stocks as you pass by.

The soldiers lead you to one of the buildings. You go inside. It is clearly a storage depot, mostly filled with boxes, barrels, sacks and the necessary gear required by an army. In the front, in a narrow open space, an older man and a few cronies are playing cards on a small barrel. They look up as you enter and the man laughs and says, "Bert, you old rascal! You made it! Set for a bit and play some hands while we talk business. Yer friends too. Any friends of yours..."

Bert responds, "Don't have much coin to lose at the moment..." but the man, Barnaby, retorts, "You're here to fix that right? Set and play for a bit. Like the old days."

The other men clear a space for you and Barnaby starts dealing some cards. "Heard you had a spot of trouble back in Stralwald?" he says as he throws a few coins into the pot and examines his hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception test, gambling test if you want? Playing for coppers, for now.

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I'm no great shakes at cards, but why not? Deal me in," Severin says before taking a place at Barnaby's barrel.

Spoiler: Tests
    Show
    Perception test (1d100)[60] vs. Int 44

Untrained Gamble test (1d100)[47] vs. 22 (half Int 44)

22. - Top - End - #622
    Ettin in the Playground

'You just got to be lucky don't you.' Gabriele will decide to be sociable and join in, but is admittedly just as interested in watching the soldiers. Just in case.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Per vs. Int 38
    (1d100)[90]

23. - Top - End - #623
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The four of you play cards for a while and Bert and Barnaby haggle over their business while gossiping over old times. When it is finally over, they shake hands on a price. When you count up your losses, Severin finds his purse (1d10)[6] silver lighter, while Gabriele is out (1d10)[7] silver. However, you do have a chance to insert a few questions into the conversation and probably get honest enough answers as the two of them are somewhat distracted with their haggling.

Spoiler
    Show
    you can ask them a few questions about them or what they are up to if you are interested, otherwise you can take your losses and we can move on to Castle Bremcote

24. - Top - End - #624
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"What was that about being lucky again?" Severin comments wryly to Gabriele as he watches his silver disappear from the barrel.

"You two been in business long?" he asks Bert and Barnaby during the game.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rax View Post
    "What was that about being lucky again?" Severin comments wryly to Gabriele as he watches his silver disappear from the barrel.

"You two been in business long?" he asks Bert and Barnaby during the game.
    'We're still alive aren't we.' Gabriele replies amused. She could afford the losses although perhaps it was a reminder why she should avoid gambling.

To Barnaby, 'Trouble's an understatement. Next time I'll try and get besieged in a place with actual walls. You from the Border Princes? How do you find working for the Duke?'

Spoiler
    Show
    Forgot to reply to the earlier question

26. - Top - End - #626
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Barnaby and Bert don't respond directly, but from their shared references, it seems that they knew each other during the Duke's first invasion of Stralwald. Barnaby says he's been in the Duke's service for a few years now and he says "He's a strict bastard. Too much for floggin' and discipline in the ranks. That son o' his ain't much better either." Bert adds, "An' he's got a grudge against us little folk for some reason..." Barnaby makes a line across his cheek where the young lord has a prominent scar and they both laugh. "But I reckon that sometimes the lads need a bit of morale-boosting, and that's where Bert comes in. Especially if the rumors are true that we're moving out soon."

27. - Top - End - #627
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Moving out? Not back to Bremcote, I assume?" Severin asks innocently.

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    Barnaby makes a line across his cheek where the young lord has a prominent scar and they both laugh.
    'Did someone take a shot at him?'

29. - Top - End - #629
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"During the fighting in Stralwald, someone took a shot at him. A stone hit him on the cheek, made a bloody mess. He's ain't been too fond of the little folk since then..." says Barnaby. "Ain't nobody saw who done it though," adds Bert. "I reckon we're marching south, gonna punish the bandits what made a mess of your lands," says Barnaby. "The Duke's got a thing about 'his lands', don't like it much when bandits come bother him."

30. - Top - End - #630
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"A worthy endeavour, but I'd be careful if I were you," Severin says to Barnaby. "The men that attacked Stralwald - their leaders and a good many of them worshipped the Dark Gods, and from what we heard, it's a good bet that this fellow Otto does as well. It's a bad business when men turn to Chaos...bad, and dangerous!"