New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes II (WFRP 2e) IC

In private
    "They're probably just there for the money, so I think we can count on 'em to be thinking about getting back in one piece to collect. That should keep 'em from doing anything rash," Severin chuckles. "I reckon we'll need to stock up on rope, lamps, food and water. If people have been disappearing from newly opened tunnels, it stands to reason there's more ways about than the tunnels the current miners have made. So we don't know how long we'll be down there," he suggests when discussing the sorts of supplies they might need.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

In Private

'And wouldn't be a shame if we found a back door down there.'

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

In private
    "Positively mortifying," Severin sniggers.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Harman gathers all of his supplies and coin for the trip into the mines except the pigeons. Birds tend to die in mines in all the stories he's heard. Once he has his gear he waits quietly with the others feeling like he's missing something when Severin sniggers but that's fine by him.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele notes Harman's expression. She'll talk quietly even if there wasn't anyone obviously in earshot. 'You know who they have doing the mining right?'

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Harman answers in hushed tones. I heard rumors that it was slave-labor, right?
    Is it a goal of yours to break them free?

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

'I feel like talking about that too openly would be bad. I think freeing them ourselves might be difficult, but I wouldn't say no.' Gabriele replies. 'Maybe it'll change things if we find out some of the slaves are the ones killing the guards.'

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Much as I'd like to, that's not the main goal, no," Severin agrees with Gabriele about breaking out the slaves. "We're looking for a girl. She disappeared at the end of the battle of Stralwald and we don't think she's dead. Tick, the human rat, may have grabbed her and sold her to Tollares. If she's down there, I'm gettin her out some way - I made a promise."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Maybe if we resolve the issue with the mine Sol will be pleased and arrange for her freedom as part of our reward. Harman paused cautious against raising too much hope. Failing that you could possibly purchase her freedom. A mine is no place for a girl and if Sol was provided coin I'm sure he could find a more suitable worker. Describe the girl and I'll keep an eye out for her while we do this job.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LarsWester View Post
    Maybe if we resolve the issue with the mine Sol will be pleased and arrange for her freedom as part of our reward. Harman paused cautious against raising too much hope. Failing that you could possibly purchase her freedom. A mine is no place for a girl and if Sol was provided coin I'm sure he could find a more suitable worker. Describe the girl and I'll keep an eye out for her while we do this job.
    'I'd like to believe it'll be that easy.' Gabriele will give a description. 'I get the feeling they take anyone to work down there that they can catch.'

11. - Top - End - #71
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The next morning, after breakfast, Lorenzo and Galezzo lead you over to Arcadius's camp where you meet with the other three adventurers. Marina is a woman with short wavy hair, and is carrying a huge pack with all sorts of gear strapped to it. Most curiously, she has a cage with a pigeon in it sticking out from her pack. Zdenko is a broad-shouldered bald man with tattoos covering his bare arms and neck where his skin is exposed, carrying a much smaller pack. Finally, Pietro is a lanky man with visible pox scars and has a half-dozen daggers strapped to his pack and belt. After introductions are made, the party heads around the edge of the mesa to the mine, where you are met outside the gate by Beauregard and another man who is introduced as Nasir. Beauregard looks over the group and stops to inspect Severin closely. He then says, "So these are the mercenaries who are willing to explore the mines. I don't know what, if anything, is down there, but don't touch anything and don't cause any trouble." He then looks over at Harman. "I had a feeling you'd be one of the volunteers." He hands Harman a powderhorn with enough powder for 10 shots. "From my personal supply. I'll want it back, if you return."
    Last edited by dojango; 2022-03-11 at 11:41 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele will look into getting some extra supplies before they go to bed. At the very least she'll look into getting more food and water. At the meeting she'll regard the other three mercenaries warily, especially Pietro. To Marina, 'What's with the pigeon?' It was hard not to find the other woman interesting given her job.

Later she will try to take Beauregard's inspection impassively, but will bristle a little at his obvious interest in Severin. He's wondering whether he can trust sending another Halfling down there.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Morning all," Severin greets the other mercenaries and Sollares' men. "Before we head down, is there a map of the mines we can borrow? Preferably one with the locations marked where the workers and the patrol went missing?" He blithely ignores Beauregard's searching looks.

OOC: Severin will have tried to get hold of the following before the expedition:
    - Waterskin; 8 s
    - Rations for 24 hours; 6 s(?)
    - Lantern; 5 gc
    - Lamp oil x6 (24 hrs worth); 30 s
    - Healing draught; 5 gc
    = 12 gc, 4 s

Let me know if any of this is unavailable.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Harman takes the generously offered power and shot from Beauregard. Thank you kindly. I'll return whatever of this I can. And it very well make the difference down there. What ever I use I'll end up paying you for of course. He finishing packing away the recently purchased rations and hefts his sling bag over his shoulder ready to depart with the others.

OOC:
    Harman would like to have purchased a week of rations I paid the book price of 6s let me know if it is higher.
    He is leaving his pigeons and horse up with the caravan. Everything else he is bringing with him.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Marina says, "Down there, beneath the earth. There is, what we call, the mal-aria. But the bird is so small, it will be sick first? So watch the bird. If it falls over, then we go back. Quickly. Quick enough and maybe the bird will get better."

To Severin, Nasir says "There ain't no map of the caverns. Those who belong know the way. Take some chalk and mark the passage, nobody will disturb your marks."

Then Beauregard says, "Last chance to back out, friends. If you don't return in three days, we'll hold your funeral. And seal off the lower chambers for good."

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Ah! Chalk! Of course, the one thing I forgot to bring!" Severin exclaims dramatically. "Foolish of me, I'm sure, but I was under the impression that Master Tollares would be wanting us to succeed in solving his mystery. Chalk is all well and good for when we start exploring, but supposing you make it easy on us by telling us how many passages we can expect to be searching and whereabouts your people went missing?"

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

With a worried look Gabriele will take the explanation about the bird seriously. 'And otherwise you wouldn't even know you were in danger. Good to know.'

She will try to be more diplomatic then Severin, 'How cramped are these lower chambers? Did any bother to go down there when the mining started?'

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

"If something is down there it will find you," says Nasir. "Go down to the third level of the mine and head west sixty paces. You'll know it when you see it. These mines were built by dwarves so most everything is dwarf-sized." He indicates with his hands. "The little one will have no trouble. The rest of you... hope you brought helmets."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"We're all professionals here, eh? I'm sure everyone's practiced at keeping their heads down," Severin chuckles in reply. "But did anyone else think to bring chalk, or do we need to trudge back to the village and scare some up before we head down?"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Marina pulls out a piece of chalk from her pocket, breaks it in half and hands a piece to Severin. "Charcoal works too, and rouge, if you got use it. Depends on the color of the rock. There's a lot of symbol we use down there, like... uh, I'll tell you about them later," she says.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dojango View Post
    "If something is down there it will find you," says Nasir. "Go down to the third level of the mine and head west sixty paces. You'll know it when you see it. These mines were built by dwarves so most everything is dwarf-sized." He indicates with his hands. "The little one will have no trouble. The rest of you... hope you brought helmets."
    'Can't exactly swing a sword while I'm sitting down. If this doesn't work out maybe you can see if Gretchen's available.' Gabriele can imagine her response to being asked.

On marking the walls, 'I'd rather rely on taking slow and not getting lost but it's best to be prepared.'

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Wall markings seems very sensible. And luckily I have a leather helmet. Harman pipes up.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Well then, let's get on with it. If we wait any longer, I'll need a second breakfast before heading down there," Severin jokes.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

You enter the mines and head down the main shaft. The main shaft is large enough for a man to walk upright. The mines have been cleared of workers, so the only sound is your footsteps and the only light is that of your lanterns. Soon you reach a large pit that has ladder going down into the darkness. Several rope and pulley systems hang from timbers set into the ceiling. There are ledges around the pit, with much smaller tunnels leading off into the rock, but you keep climbing down to the bottom of the pit. A few more tunnels branch off, and Marina points to the one leading west. She heads down the tunnel in the lead, with Zdenko following behind. This tunnel is much smaller, anyone under 5 feet tall has to crouch uncomfortably in order to fit, lest they bump their head on the rough ceiling. After 60 paces, you come to a change in the tunnel. There are the remnants of a wall, it appears that the passage was once walled off, and then broken through. Just beyond, you see that the tunnel opens up into a much larger subterranean cavern...

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Crawling on his hands and knees Harman breathes a sigh of relief when they reach a more wide open cavern. He stands up, placing his hands on the small of his back he stretches forwards and back then side to side. That was some tight quarters there for bit. Guess not for you Severin. he says softly.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele is on the look out for the Halfling 'workers' but is on balance grateful that they weren't around. It would be easy to misconstrue their being here. Inside the mine she is tall enough for the passage to be uncomfortable to move through. 'That wall would be from the Dwarves I take it?'

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Not being a longshanks has it advantages sometimes," Severin replies to Harman with a sly smile.

Studying the wall, he notes: "Generally speaking, when someone puts up a wall, it's because they want to keep people out or keep something in. Why doesn't it surprise me that Tollares didn't worry about stuff like that before breaking it down..."

"I'm pretty light on my feet and I see better in the dark than the rest o' you. Maybe I should be the first one through, eh?" he suggests to the others.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

'Wouldn't the cave wall be enough for that?' Gabriele isn't convinced. 'Maybe it's decoration? You live underground but you don't want to look at the bare cave wall all day.' She'll wave Severin on, 'Just be careful.'

29. - Top - End - #89
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Severin enters the cavern first, with Marina and Zdenko on his heels. The big mercenary straightens up and says, "Ah, thank the gods, my back is killing me." Marina shushes him loudly, and casts her lantern light on the walls of the cavern. The ceiling is perhaps 10 feet high in most places, and there is a row of stone spikes descending from the ceiling, and a matching row coming up from the floor beneath them. The walls are slightly damp, and the cavern floor is sandy in patches and bare rock in others. There is a cluster of fat-looking mushrooms growing in sand. There are two exits to the room, one to the south and one to the west.
    Last edited by dojango; 2022-03-31 at 04:03 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

OOC: Stone spikes as in stalactites/stalagmites or spikes as in man-/dwarf-made?