New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Travels amongst the Border Princes II (WFRP 2e) IC

Quote Originally Posted by Haval View Post
    'I really don't want to have to follow him down there.' Gabriele mutters. Maybe we should have brought more Halflings.
    Harman shifts his feet waiting for Severin's return. Gabriele I don't think we could follow him down there even if we wanted to.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin stiffens at the sight of the scaly stuff. More lizards? he worries. Carefully stowing his mace, he jabs the torch into the sand, pulls out his sling and loads it.

He then slowly makes his way towards the scaly stuff to inspect it, all the while keeping his eyes peeled for any sudden motion.

OOC: The tunnel Severin came through wasn't big enough for a lizard like the ones that attacked us to crawl through, was it?

3. - Top - End - #213
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LarsWester View Post
    Harman shifts his feet waiting for Severin's return. Gabriele I don't think we could follow him down there even if we wanted to.
    Gabriele will look at Harman and assess his size, 'Maybe. I don't want to get stuck down there, but it doesn't sit right waiting. I'd like to think Severin would have the sense to know when to come back.'

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Harman shrugs his shoulders. You've neen with him longer than I have. He seems to be a perfectly reasonable fellow. Honorable too. He'll do the smart thing if his honor will let him. At least that's my read of the little guy. You might have further insight. Shall we say a prayer to Verena for him? Harman asks Gabriele as she seemed worried for her companion.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Severin cautiously looks around the passageway. The biggest of the lizards would not fit through it, but the ones that attacked first could probably wiggle through. Certainly the littlest ones would have no problem. The scaly stuff is just that, shed skin. Severin doesn't detect any movement around other than the wind blowing through the bushes at the edge of the sinkhole.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LarsWester View Post
    Harman shrugs his shoulders. You've neen with him longer than I have. He seems to be a perfectly reasonable fellow. Honorable too. He'll do the smart thing if his honor will let him. At least that's my read of the little guy. You might have further insight. Shall we say a prayer to Verena for him? Harman asks Gabriele as she seemed worried for her companion.
    Gabriele looks sceptical, 'If you think it'll help. I feel like Taal himself wouldn't bother coming down here.'

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Harman bends one knee and lifts his head up beginning to matter a common prayer to Verena. Mother Verena we beseech thee. Let our eyes see the truth. Let our ears hear the truth. Let our feet carry us to the truth. Let our minds reason out the truth still unrevealed. With the truth known let us pursue justice with all our strength, mind, and spirit. Mother Verena we beseech thee thus. Harman raises back to his feet gives a faint smile to Gabriele. Can't hurt right?

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele will mumble along with Harman's unfamilar prayer.'It couldn't hurt. Don't think I've ever met a Verenan before. Does she ever answer back?'

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Harman smiles at Gabriele. Oh she answers. Sometimes not as fast as you'd like or with the answer you'd prefer. We often have our own ideas of Justice and own views of what it is True. You know I've been seeking to bring justice to a specific person so still waiting for that answer from Verena regarding that matter. We'll see how the mother goddess answers in this case.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Satisfied that he isn't going to be ambushed by a giant lizard right now, Severin turns to inspecting the sandy floor of the sinkhole, edging his way towards the nearest spiny plant that's been bashed open. While he's no tracker, he carefully studies the sandy floor to see if he can discern any halfling-sized footprints...or lizard-like ones.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As Harman prays towards Verena, Marina listens piously. She says, "It is good, she is a light guiding us out of darkness. May she lead Pietro through Morr's realms." Meanwhile Zdenko amuses himself by drawing with chalk on the rock walls. Severin spends some time examining the area around the sinkhole, but his tracking skills are not sufficient to determine what type of foot has walked or crawled through this area, only that something has passed through.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

To Harman, 'So the Gods help those who help themselves? Maybe we should try and look for this man of yours to see if Verena's paying attention.'

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Frustrated in his attempts to figure out who or what came this way, Severin picks up his torch and makes his way back into the tunnel. Once he reaches the rock ledge, he calls out gently down the tunnel to the others. "There's a way out here, but I can't tell if anyone's made use of it. Found some shed lizard skin just outside, though, so maybe this is the way those nasty critters got inside."

"Gabriele! I could use your help checking for tracks. It's a tight fit, but if you leave your pack, cloak and any long weapons behind, I think you can make it," he adds.
    Last edited by rax; 2022-07-01 at 02:13 PM.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Ettin in the Playground

'Remind me to teach you how to do that.' Gabriele will discard her larger gear. 'I'll go take a look if you're sure I can turn around. But you realise it's not always easy to find tracks even if they're down there?'

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"No need," Severin mutters. "When this is over, I'm going to make my living doing something less dangerous, like...I don't know...professional gambling?"

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

'Don't win too much and don't cheat openly. Sounds about right.' Gabriele will make sure she has a knife with her but will leave her larger gear behind. 'Harman. Can you look after my stuff? I am not going to be down there long.'

Assuming the others don't object Gabriele is going to gingerly try to see if she can even get through the narrow gap.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The tunnel is claustrophobic as she wriggles her way through. She has to contort a little bit to get over a ledge and climb up, but once she does that the tunnel opens up again, enough for her to have space around her. Soon she finds herself in the light of the outside again; she is at the bottom of a large sinkhole. The sides and bottom of the hole are covered in brush and there are a few small trees here and there.

OOC: Follow Trail roll for Gabriele to see what she can find out

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele will do what she can to search for tracks.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Follow Trail vs. Int 38
    (1d100)[39]
    Last Fp if needed
    (1d100)[23]

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

When Gabriele drops down into the open tunnel, Severin indicates for her to keep quiet and then points out the handprint he discovered earlier. Motioning for her to follow him outside, he then quietly fills her in on his thinking while she studies the sinkhole for traps.

"Don't tell the others, but that handprint and the fact that you longshanks have to drop everything to make it through the passage makes me think that maybe some of the disappeared Halflings made it out of the mine this way, but I can't tell if they made it out of the sinkhole as well. Someone or something has been at these spiny plants as well - probably looking for something to eat. But then I found the lizard skin, and I got to thinking that maybe they eat plants too, you know?"

"Anyway, once you're done looking around, I want to have a go at climbing up the sides to see where we end up, but I may need help getting up and down again. Us Halflings are built low to the ground for a reason," he quips.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele will do what she can to stretch when she's outside again. 'I'm all for escaping. It's better then staying down there with the lizards. But where are they going to go afterwards? Would they try to make it down the mesa in the dark? Or would they try to find a place to hide out in town?'

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Gabriele heads out into the sinkhole and starts looking around. Once Severin points out the tracks he's seen, she is able to get a better picture of what passed through here. The lizards apparently come through here often enough that their tracks are all over the place. Looking up the sides of the hole Gabriele can also see signs that a small figure passed through here, its hands and feet smaller than Severin's for comparison. The figure seems to have climbed out of the sinkhole as there are broken branches and torn leaves that weren't made naturally. It should be fairly easy for someone to climb out as long as they don't mind pushing through the occasionally spiny vegetation. Gabriele estimates that this probably happened a week or so ago based on the condition of the tracks and the broken brush. Some of the lizard tracks are fresher than that, perhaps made within the past few days.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Harman leaned against the cool stone wall of the mine system stretching his back. It had been a while since he was in heated mortal combat like that against the lizards. His stomach churned as his mind played over the lizard tearing into Pietro. He looked over at Zdenko and Marina with sympathy. He had lost companions before while serving in the River Wardens it was always hard dealing with the loss and the knowledge that it just as easily could have been you. He struggled to think of any words that could bring comfort to the situation and decided there were none so he simply resolved to get them talking about something else. Have you two been in the service of Arcadius for a long time now? From what little dealings I've had they seem fair but could be harsh with discipline.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ettin in the Playground

Gabriele will point out the tracks to Severin.'Just got to pay attention. Other then the lizards I'd say whoever it was was definitely smaller then you. Maybe it's our girl.'

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"Just the one? I was hoping for clear signs that more of the slaves had found this way out. It's the only path I've seen down here where I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be followed," Severin replies glumly. "And I don't like the sound of the lizards passing this way regular-like. Makes this a dangerous path to try in any case."

Looking up at the top of the sinkhole, he makes up his mind. "Alright, I'm going to see where climbing gets me. Want to come or do you want to wait until I've gotten a look around?" he asks, heading over to where the small figure seems to have climbed out.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

'Only one that I can see anyway. Maybe a week or so back. The lizards might just be up here to find whatever prey they can catch. I'd like to think we'll be able to see them coming if we run into any up here.'

Gabriele considers the climb. 'If you think you can make it up there I'll give you a boost. If I need to I'll follow you up but I don't want to leave the others alone down there for too long either.'

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

"I don't intend to stay long - just enough to get the lay of the land so we can take a closer look once we've reported back. I'm thinking the best thing to do is to not let anyone but Harman know that it look like at least one Halfling escaped this way. Which means that we're looking at reporting back that there's man-eating lizards down here, and that they may be the reason slaves and guards have disappeared. Of course, the only way we'll know for sure is if we can shift them from their nesting places - if they've eaten anyone but Pietro, there should be items left behind to prove it," Severin explains, then turns to begin climbing out of the sinkhole.

OOC: Does Severin need to make a Climb check?

27. - Top - End - #237
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Severin spends a few moments clambering up the steep sides of the sinkhole. Debris and stones fall down behind him as he hauls himself up using roots and branches as handholds. After a few moments he cautiously emerges, finding himself in the open landscape of the plains around the mesa. The sinkhole is in a small depression in the ground, and to the south he can see the Inselberg rising out of the plains. From where he is, however, it seems unlikely that they could see him back, if they were watching. The mine is also likewise out of sight, hidden behind one of the shoulders of the mesa.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Severin nods with satisfaction, then turns around and kneels to call down to Gabriele below. "Well, if I was trying to get away from Sol's place unnoticed, this is pretty much the best spot to come up unseen from either the Inselberg or the mine. If Myrtle came through here, the odds are on her side for making a clean getaway."

"You want to come up here and have a quick look around for tracks? If we wait till later, the wind and the weather may wipe them clean, assuming there's any left to begin with," he ventures his opinion.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

'So maybe she's hiding out somewhere. Can't see her walking back to Stralwald though.' Gabriele will try to follow Severin up.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Scale Sheer Surface vs. Str 35 / 2
    (1d100)[39]

If she makes the Climb, Follow Trail vs. Int 38
    (1d100)[89]

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The climb up is not difficult, but there is some scrambling as she pulls herself up using roots and branches as handholds. Some of this ends up scraping over the tracks leading up, and when she reaches the top she looks around for a little bit before realizing that the tracks in the open have faded away by the restless wind of the plains. She searches for tracks in areas that might be protected or sheltered, but is not able to find any. The sun is getting low in the sky by the time she stops searching for signs in the area.