New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Warhammer Cross edition compatibility

I'm trying to figure out whether 6th/7th edition orks could play with 8th edition everything else. The reason is a used ork codex was marketed on amazon as being 8th ed but is actually 6th or 7th, and due to negligence on my part i didn't bother to check until it got here. Still don't know what edition it is EXACTLY but it's either 6th or 7th (full borderless cover art of an ork roaring and ready for combat on the cover, warhammer logo at top with "codex" just underneath, all letters and words embossed/raised)

My other codexes and core rules are all 8th ed, i've been scooping them up for a big poorhammer project im planning given there being tons of the old books being sold cheap now, especially since 9th ed is rolling out now. I actually got an eldar book for something like $15, believe it or not!

But as it stands i cant find an 8th ed ork book, so i plan to do any conversion work necessary to get the book i have up to speed. So assuming the book i have is incompatible with the newer ones, what would i need to do to make it passably compatible?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer Cross edition compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by Shackled Slayer View Post
    I'm trying to figure out whether 6th/7th edition orks could play with 8th edition everything else. The reason is a used ork codex was marketed on amazon as being 8th ed but is actually 6th or 7th, and due to negligence on my part i didn't bother to check until it got here. Still don't know what edition it is EXACTLY but it's either 6th or 7th (full borderless cover art of an ork roaring and ready for combat on the cover, warhammer logo at top with "codex" just underneath, all letters and words embossed/raised)

My other codexes and core rules are all 8th ed, i've been scooping them up for a big poorhammer project im planning given there being tons of the old books being sold cheap now, especially since 9th ed is rolling out now. I actually got an eldar book for something like $15, believe it or not!

But as it stands i cant find an 8th ed ork book, so i plan to do any conversion work necessary to get the book i have up to speed. So assuming the book i have is incompatible with the newer ones, what would i need to do to make it passably compatible?
    7th edition and earlier Codecs are pretty much completely incompatible with 8th and 9th edition rules.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    7th edition and earlier Codecs are pretty much completely incompatible with 8th and 9th edition rules.
    I was afraid that would be the answer. Well, thanks for the answer!

4. - Top - End - #4

Just to clarify, you're speaking of Warhammer 40k, not Warhammer? Because warhammer doesn't call them codices, it uses army book, or no title.

Edit: nevermind, you also mention Eldar.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2022-01-04 at 03:25 AM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Just to clarify, you're speaking of Warhammer 40k, not Warhammer? Because warhammer doesn't call them codices, it uses army book, or no title.

Edit: nevermind, you also mention Eldar.
    Yeah it's 40k. I have been thinking of getting warhammer fantasy books too though, i've been wanting to command an army of the undead recently.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shackled Slayer View Post
    I have been thinking of getting warhammer fantasy books too though, i've been wanting to command an army of the undead recently.
    similar to pre 8th ed 40k, anything Sigmar won't work for Warhammer Fantasy, but fantasy models on round bases will be sigmar compatible.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2022-01-06 at 06:59 PM.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

7. - Top - End - #7

And Warhammer Fantasy editions are vaguely compatible. +/- one edition shouldn't be too much of a problem in most cases. Some army books lasted for 3 editions or more.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    And Warhammer Fantasy editions are vaguely compatible. +/- one edition shouldn't be too much of a problem in most cases. Some army books lasted for 3 editions or more.
    Yeah, there are also general rules for converting older units based on their equipment or the closest alternative.

I can't think of any that had to last 3 editions and not be outright unsupported (Chorfs haven't had a book since 4th but they were also a somewhat abandoned range) but Bretonnia last got updated in 6th and Beastmen and Skaven in 7th.

Though The Old World is likely to bring updates for them.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Yeah, there are also general rules for converting older units based on their equipment or the closest alternative.

I can't think of any that had to last 3 editions and not be outright unsupported (Chorfs haven't had a book since 4th but they were also a somewhat abandoned range) but Bretonnia last got updated in 6th and Beastmen and Skaven in 7th.

Though The Old World is likely to bring updates for them.
    Bretonnia was what I ws thinking of. For some reason, I had it in my head they were from 5th.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If I remember correctly, there was a hard cut-off between 5th and 6th edition Warhammer Fantasy (released late 2000), similar to that between 2nd and 3rd edition 40k (late 1998) and 7th and 8th edition 40k (2017). So provided you don’t cross those boundaries (and the Fantasy/AoS one) you’ll be able to at least play armies against each other.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    (Chorfs haven't had a book since 4th but they were also a somewhat abandoned range)
    And even they got a Forgeworld book partially devoted to them - I believe it was the Tamarkhan one.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-01-07 at 06:37 AM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    If I remember correctly, there was a hard cut-off between 5th and 6th edition Warhammer Fantasy (released late 2000), similar to that between 2nd and 3rd edition 40k (late 1998) and 7th and 8th edition 40k (2017). So provided you don’t cross those boundaries (and the Fantasy/AoS one) you’ll be able to at least play armies against each other.
    Yes basically this. WHFB 5th and 3-4th are sorta compatible (there's a point where it no longer works there too), 6th, 7th and 8th are not too incompatible though there is stuff that doesn't translate all the way. Older armybooks/codexes work better with newer rules than the other way around and the less editions in difference the two armies the better.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2022-01-14 at 04:24 PM.