New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Ghosts of Saltmarsh IC

A seagull calls, flying over the small town of Saltmarsh. We see it fly from the grand blue ocean, over the docks filled with sailors and merchants going about their day to day life and discussing the weather or their wares. The gull continues, flying over the coastal town where streets are being prepared for a festival - workers setting up tables and booths. Miners change shifts, some preparing to explore the earth below with the hope of finding riches while others walk home, sticking out from most of the population. Finally it lands on the roof of Council Hall, while a stern looking woman walks into the building, papers in hand.

Captain Xendros stands in her temple, converted from a meeting hall that was no longer being used. The temple is mostly decorated in dark red, with gold accents and metalwork. Behind the podium at the front of the church hangs a banner - red with the image of a gold skull on it. She closes her prayer book as three people enter.

"Caspian! Eldryn! Yue! Welcome. Thank you for coming on such short notice. I have an opportunity for the three of you, sit for a moment." She shuts the book and stands at the front of the church, as if she is giving a sermon. "Now, I'm sure you've heard of this assignment, strait from the Town Council itself... no? Ah, it must have just been told to me." She gives a small smirk, mostly to herself. "You see, there's a house due east of here that has been a problem for some time. It has been vacant for a couple decades now, apparently an old alchemist lived there. Everyone here is too scared to go near it. The Town should have dealt with it years ago but they've had a lot on their plate... regardless.

The senior councilor is asking for help investigating the house and I think the three of you would be a good fit for the job. I'm not sure if you're familiar with each other but you all have skills that will prove useful fighting whatever is there. My money is on whatever is haunting the place was an experiment gone wrong by the alchemist who used to live there. If you're interested, Eda would like you to meet at the Council Hall at 10:00."

After she's finished speaking, Captain Xendros goes back to her work.

"Well, seems like they're finally doing something about Vildrun's old house," Wellgar says as he and Byrok drag driftwood along the beach. "No one knew the alchemist well, he was a bit of a loner, much like Keledek." After saying the name, Wellgar spits on the ground. "Ya hear that!? Enjoy listening in!? Anyway... where was I...? Oh! Vildrun's house. You probably only know it as the haunted house to the east. But 20 years ago it was just some weirdo's home. Then one day he wasn't there! You know how rumors spread - a few odd sounds, kids getting spooked, and suddenly a normal place becomes a haunted house!"

He pauses, as the two of you toss the driftwood out of the way. "Anyway... Eda's looking for some folks to go in and check it out, hopefully clear up all of the ghost nonsense. If you're willing, she's having the party meet at 10:00 this morning. Council Hall."

Tulvi. There is a matter that I believe you will be interested in, here in Saltmarsh. There is an old house that once belonged to an Alchmist who supposedly had an extensive library collection. I do not know if there is any truth to the matter but it could be big, if true. If you are able, please make your way to Saltmarsh. The Council will be looking for volunteers to investigate the house as it is rumored to be haunted and few from our town will be willing to go. I cannot guarantee you will receive books but the Town Council will not know just how many books were left in the house. An associate of mine will meet you at the docks when you arrive. ~ Keledek

Tulvi received this letter a couple weeks ago and is just now arriving back in Saltmarsh.

"River," Keledek said the night before, having requested to meet at his tower. It is a mess, per usual, but he doesn't seem to care what anyone thinks of him or his abode. "If you are interested in a job, Eda has decided that a house up the coast needs to be looked into. A house that is said to be haunted needs to be cleansed of whatever creature may have taken residence there. I imagine you will be able to handle yourself. Now, I'm sure there will be a reward in gold but the house is not too close to any town and is right on the coast. If you can secure it for yourself it may be a suitable location to practice your... hobbies.

I do have another who may be interested in helping with this matter. If you could, she is expected to arrive tomorrow morning. Please find her and take her with you. Eda will be meeting anyone interested in the assignment at 10:00 in the Council Hall."

River waits for the elven woman (Tulvi) by the docks, knowing they will need to go straight to the Council Hall when she gets here.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ghosts of Saltmarsh IC

Yue
    Divine Soul Sorceress / Bard
    HP: 19/19, AC: 14, Resistance: Fire
    Conditions: None
    Yue wakes up in the inexpensive room she is renting at one of the local inns. She opens her eyes that look like twin pearls and stretches her scaly arms, legs, and wings. She takes some time to clean and braid her red hear, weaving it between her horns in a style that only a Tiefling can achieve.

Only recently did Yue arrive in Saltmarsh, she has been spending her days exploring the surrounding landscape for medicinal plants while earning some coin at night playing her bamboo flute in taverns. The exotic tunes form her far away homeland helping to hide her inexperience.

While breaking her fast she receives a summons from a messenger to attend Captain Xendros.

Upon arriving at the captain's temple she greets Caspian, who what aboard the ship that brought her into town.

Yue bows deeply to Captain Xendros and speaking in her foreign dialect of common she says "<Honored I am that you have chosen me to for this task. I shall work hard to show that your trust in me has not been misplaced.>".
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Caspian nodded as he entered the church acknowledging his old Captain as he tilted his shell out of habit to get through the doorway. He also stood from habit as well knowing the trying to sit in a church pew was futile. ”M-m-mmmm-ma’am” was all he said as he listened to the proposal.

When Yue said hello he managed a small smile that somehow looked warm even on his alligator snapping turtle visage. ”Pleasure to s-s-sss-see you again.”
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeker Tulvi
    Arcana Cleric
    HP: 21/21, AC: 17
    Spell slots: 4/4, 2/2
    Concentration: None

Her leather boots tapped on the wood of the docks as a slender elf, dressed well in ornate robes and a boxy hat, disembarked from a boat. Her shoulder cape flapped in the ocean breeze as she bid a dignified farewell to the vessel and crew that had carried her here. She travelled light: all her luggage was in a single backpack, dangling from one graceful gloved hand.

Her eyes were an electric cyan-blue, framed by the black lines of kohl, or perhaps tattoos, and they narrowed slightly as she took in the docks. She was to meet someone here, according to the letter...
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Eldryn was studying when summoned to see the Captain. He puts his book away safely in its pouch, then heads for the familiar temple. He greets the Captain warmly, with a "What ho," and then watches as the others summoned traipse inside too. He doesn't know any of them, though they number some familiar faces around the town.

As the captain explains the task required of them, Eldryn smiles. It will give him a chance to get away from the town for a bit, where it is possible that fellow refugees might recognise him. There are not so many elves in the area that he could go long unrecognised should others arrive from his home town.

"I am prepared to undertake your task, Captain," he says. He then, seeing that the captain has returned to her work, turns and leaves the temple. He goes to find somewhere quiet to wait for ten of the clock to come. While he waits, he opens his sacred text once again, and tries to get some sense of how things are going to progress. The book is always highly cryptic, but sometimes he is able to get a sense of how things are destined to go.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    Yue bows deeply to Captain Xendros and speaking in her foreign dialect of common she says "<Honored I am that you have chosen me to for this task. I shall work hard to show that your trust in me has not been misplaced.>".
    Quote Originally Posted by Lioslaith View Post
    Caspian nodded as he entered the church acknowledging his old Captain as he tilted his shell out of habit to get through the doorway. He also stood from habit as well knowing the trying to sit in a church pew was futile. ”M-m-mmmm-ma’am” was all he said as he listened to the proposal.
    Captain Xendros just nodded at the group in response. "If you need anything else, let me know." The temple seems empty right now - even compared to normal. The only real followers of Iuz in town were those who had come over with the Captain, though occasionally there would be one or two travelers who would happen upon the temple. In fact, if anyone were to be in here they would be more likely looking for a trade for a magic item rather than spiritual guidance.

Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    Her leather boots tapped on the wood of the docks as a slender elf, dressed well in ornate robes and a boxy hat, disembarked from a boat. Her shoulder cape flapped in the ocean breeze as she bid a dignified farewell to the vessel and crew that had carried her here. She travelled light: all her luggage was in a single backpack, dangling from one graceful gloved hand.
    Tulvi is obvious to spot among the sailors and workers who are going about their jobs, who all wear practical clothes already dirty from their work. They ignore her more than anything - she wasn't their business and they had things to do. The captain of the boat she arrived on waved and nodded her head before meeting with someone to discuss the cargo she had brought. There were benches along the dock, mostly for workers but there were a couple lookout points where tourists could ignore the fishers and gaze out at the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by paradox26 View Post
    "I am prepared to undertake your task, Captain," he says. He then, seeing that the captain has returned to her work, turns and leaves the temple. He goes to find somewhere quiet to wait for ten of the clock to come. While he waits, he opens his sacred text once again, and tries to get some sense of how things are going to progress. The book is always highly cryptic, but sometimes he is able to get a sense of how things are destined to go.
    Like with the others, Captain Xendros gave a quiet nod of acknowledgement. After leaving, Eldryn can find a quiet space in town, whether that is where he lives, the library, or on a public bench near the Council Hall.

(Making a luck roll privately)

As he reads the book one line sticks out to him. Next to it are numbers that could conceivably be today's date. It reads: "Six: Pick/Watch Your/Feet Under/Pack/Degrees/Of One"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Caspian grunted to himself "Mmmmmmhm." A deep rumble from his chest. Then nodded as he saw the Captain assume her usual ‘I’m done with you’ stance. He turned carefully as his shell had a tendency to encounter objects when he was inside structures built for more slender folk and headed out the door.

Once outside he meandered slowly towards where the meeting was to take place, taking his time to get there.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2022-01-06 at 06:57 PM.
    I like the globe warm...

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Yue
    Yue goes to the entrance to the temple and turns to face the banner then bows in respect before leaving the building and following Caspian to the meeting.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Byrok nodded his agreement, said farewell to the old priest, gathered his gear and departed for the meeting. Investigating an old house would serve as a nice diversion from the daily routine. And an opportunity to put his training to use for the town which had given him a home after he had lost everything.

10. - Top - End - #10

When the meeting time rolls around, you all find yourselves at the Council Hall, doors already open. It is a slow day, with only a secretary or two taking care of filing papers or some other boring but required work. You walk into the council room, where a semicircle desk faces you. The teal banners of Saltmarsh line the walls, with sconces lit. The chamber does its best to appear impressive but to both locals and anyone who comes from a wealthy city this may as well be a school auditorium.

Seven chairs sit in their places at the desk, with only the center one occupied. In it sits a stern looking woman: Eda Oweland. Eda's grey hair betrays her age, but looking at her face and her arms show someone who has worked on the docks and boats all her life. She is the senior member of the council, having been elected to it three times, and whether you are involved in politics or not, you'd surely recognize her around town.

"Ah!" She says, noticing the group come it. "Right on schedule, perfect. I appreciate you all willing to take on this task. As I'm sure you've heard from those who recommended you, there is a house that needs to be investigated and secured up the coast. It is technically within the town's jurisdiction, though it is the only house so far out and as such hasn't been a priority for the council." You notice the bitterness in her voice, obviously disagreeing with some of where the council's priorities have been.

"It once belonged to an alchemist named Vildrun Aurum, though he abandoned the house about 20 years ago. In the time since it has laid empty and anyone who goes near it claims that monstrous sounds come from within. There are rumors that it is haunted, though we do not have confirmation if this is true - Traibar, a poacher in town has claimed to have heard, and I quote, 'ghastly shrieks and piercing wails'.

On behalf of the council, I am asking that you investigate the house and make sure that it is safe to inhabit and does not contain any threat to us. You will, of course, be rewarded for this work. Do you have any questions for me about this assignment?"

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Yue
    Yue looks at the collection of people that attend the meeting at the council hall for this task and wonders if there is something more then just rumors to necessitate a party of this size.

After a bow of respect Yue asks "<Has this Traibar any further information that could be of use?>"

12. - Top - End - #12

After a bow of respect Yue asks "<Has this Traibar any further information that could be of use?>"
    Eda sighs. "He supposedly walked into part of the house so he may have some information but... if he's not out hunting today, you can probably find him at The Snapping Line. He won't have had too many drinks yet, so now is the best time. He'll be the Satyr at the bar. He likes to tell stories though, so don't be surprised if he embellishes."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Caspian looks towards the sea furtively then back to Eda, "I suppose some time away from the sea would be okay. How m-m-mmm-much of a reward are we talking about?"

After she answers a low whistle escapes his lips as he thinks about a couple months wages in a day or two's work.
    Last edited by Lioslaith; 2022-01-12 at 01:22 PM.
    I like the globe warm...

14. - Top - End - #14

Caspian looks towards the sea furtively then back to Eda, "I suppose some time away from the sea would be okay. How much of a reward are we talking about?"
    "We have been able to allocate 300 gold for this assignment. So, assuming you all agree to help you will earn 50 gold each."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

"I'm in!" was Byrok's immediate response. Looking around he added, "And I'm sure the rest are too, else they wouldn't have joined us this morning.
    So ... how about we go visit that satyr?"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Yue
    Yue nods that she is ready to depart the council hall and visit the Satyr at The Snapping Line.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeker Tulvi
    Arcana Cleric

Tulvi hummed thoughtfully. She tapped her chin with a gloved finger.

"I suppose, she said if her soft, calm cadence, "I would ask what this alchemist was working on, if any know, and indeed why he left. But twenty years is a long time for most species."

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Eldryn considers the offer, then says, "This is strange. I can't see why creatures who might inhabit the building staying inside the house rather than going out into the open air and expanding. However, if it is a ghost, then that would explain the problem. So I suspect that may well be the answer. Let us go and visit this satyr first. I prefer to gather information before walking into a possibly haunted house. Is there anything else we should know about before we leave?"

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    Tulvi hummed thoughtfully. She tapped her chin with a gloved finger.

"I suppose, she said if her soft, calm cadence, "I would ask what this alchemist was working on, if any know, and indeed why he left. But twenty years is a long time for most species."
    "I do not know much, I can't say I knew the man myself. Supposedly he came into town to buy reagents used in transmutation."

Eldryn considers the offer, then says, "This is strange. I can't see why creatures who might inhabit the building staying inside the house rather than going out into the open air and expanding. However, if it is a ghost, then that would explain the problem. So I suspect that may well be the answer. Let us go and visit this satyr first. I prefer to gather information before walking into a possibly haunted house. Is there anything else we should know about before we leave?"
    Eda shakes her head. "I've given you everything I know about the situation. We are concerned that you will come across hostile creatures, which is why we have elected to hire you all instead of those without combat skills."

When you get to the Snapping Line, you enter one of the more popular taverns in town. It is build from the planks and hulls of decommissioned fishing ships - it is obvious from the wood that it came from a handful of ships, with the name of a half dozen ships painted along the walls. Either a positive or a strong negative, the Snapping Line always smells of fish and you imagine if you stayed in any of its rooms it would linger on your belongings for some time. At night, this is a popular meeting place for fishers.

This morning, you find a single woman working behind the bar and a satyr sitting at the bar, halfway through a beer. He's dressed as a hunter would be - though he doesn't have any pelts, he seems ready to go out into the woods. His outfit seems to hold a number of tools that could be useful outdoors and most obviously a bow and full quiver lay on the ground next to him.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Caspian makes his way into the bar with the others, nodding a greeting to the woman behind the bar. Once he sees the satyr Caspian starts to head towards him keeping his eyes on the satyr in case he looks up to make eye contact.
    I like the globe warm...

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Yue

Yue walks up to the satyr and introduces herself with a bow.

"<Greetings, I am Yue. Be you Master Traibar?>"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Eldryn accepts the logic of the statement, and falls silent. When it is time to enter the inn, he does so with the others. He fans out a bit, out of a force of habit that ensures that if anything bad happens it can't encompass the whole party. He comes around to the other side of the satyr, and leans against the bar. With a gesture, he calls for a jack of whatever drink is most commonly served. He prefers elven wine, but figures that any wine the inn might have would be little more than swill, and he doesn't care much what he drinks beyond that. He doesn't look at the satyr, but listens closely. He doesn't wish to intimidate the creature by having a whole group approaching him at once.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

When Caspian sees the others gathering around the satyr he stops his approach and finds a seat between them and the front door. Sitting calmly he nods again to the lady behind the bar for a drink.
    I like the globe warm...

24. - Top - End - #24

Yue walks up to the satyr and introduces herself with a bow.

"<Greetings, I am Yue. Be you Master Traibar?>"
    "Yes I am!" The man takes another swig of his drink. "What can I do for you?"

With a gesture, he calls for a jack of whatever drink is most commonly served. He prefers elven wine, but figures that any wine the inn might have would be little more than swill, and he doesn't care much what he drinks beyond that.
    Sitting calmly he nods again to the lady behind the bar for a drink.
    A glass of wine is set in front of you, the likes of which you haven't seen before. It's referred to as Claw Wine, the menu describes it as the tavern's signature drink. If you drink it you get hints of lobster and potatoes and it tastes... well, most people would not be a fan, to put it lightly.
    Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2022-01-14 at 12:01 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Caspain knocks back the wine in a few big gulps. He thoroughly enjoyed the lobster and potato hints of the beverage.
    I like the globe warm...

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Yue
    Yue uses her best formal vocabulary "<We are tasked by Master Oweland with clearing the former residence of one Vildrun Aurum. We were told that you may have information regarding this building, if you have anything that could be of use we would be most appreciative.>"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Byrok followed his new companions into the inn, and like Eldryn, spreads out to the side of the room. There he will keep an eye out for trouble while listening in as best he can to the conversation with the satyr.

28. - Top - End - #28

Yue uses her best formal vocabulary "<We are tasked by Master Oweland with clearing the former residence of one Vildrun Aurum. We were told that you may have information regarding this building, if you have anything that could be of use we would be most appreciative.>"
    "The haunted house!" The Satyr's smile grew, seemingly excited to tell the story. He looks around and, seeing your whole group, speaks louder so everyone can hear. The woman behind the bar rolls her eyes; she's heard this before. "I'm out hunting and I bag more animals than I can carry. I load up and start dragging them back to town but hey, there's this house along the way and it's one that I know isn't occupied. I figure, why not leave some of my catch here and come back for it the next day.

So, I walk in the back door into the kitchen - it's obvious no one lives where, there were cobwebs and just... not the place to live in, you know? But I figure while I'm here, let's see if there's anything left behind, the old owner wouldn't miss it. Food would be out of the question, but wine or other alcohols would keep? I go into the next room, the whole place is covered in mold, but there's stairs to the basement.

When I set foot on the staircase I hear the shrieks of those that passed beyond. Or, I guess, they didn't seeing as they were here as ghosts. I felt a cold rush of air come up the stairs and the walls and stairs shimmered as ghostly arms reached through, grasping at me to suck the essence of life from my body in the hopes that they could once again walk among the living.

Well, I liked walking among the living myself so I bolted right out of there, leaving behind all the animals I had caught that day - no matter what price I would have got it wasn't worth being killed by some ghost."

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Listening to the tale Caspian lets out a deep "Mmmmmm-hm" unconsciously.
    I like the globe warm...

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeker Tulvi
    Arcana Cleric

Tulvi had ordered a glass of the wine. She took a sip and considered it thoughtfully, then daintily placed it back down without a word. What an.... interesting flavour.

"Ghosts, you say, she interjected gently. Her cyan eyes were bright with curiosity. "How fascinating. Did any of those arms actually touch you? Did the ghostly cries contain any words?"

She pushed the drink his way.