New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Ghosts of Saltmarsh IC

Quote Originally Posted by Awful View Post
    "Ghosts, you say, she interjected gently. Her cyan eyes were bright with curiosity. "How fascinating. Did any of those arms actually touch you? Did the ghostly cries contain any words?"

She pushed the drink his way.
    Traibar takes the drink and heartily takes a swig, unfazed by the flavor. "Well, now, I couldn't see so well, as I was sensibly running for my life. As far as I know I wasn't touch. They weren't words so much as the despondent wail of those whose souls cannot find eternal rest."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Yue
    Divine Soul Sorceress / Bard
    HP: 19/19, AC: 14, Resistance: Fire
    Conditions: None
    Yue is satisfied with the information they have gotten form Traibar and doesn't think that he has much else that will be of much use. She looks at the others to see if they are ready to head out.

When the group leaves Yue will thank Traibar and pay for one of his drinks.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Realizing the satyr knew he was there and listening, Caspain gets up and saunters over to the group talking directly to him. "You said you r-r-rrr-ran out. Did you take your kills or d-d-dddd-did you leave -em?"
    I like the globe warm...

If you live for people's acceptance you will die from their rejection.

Remember, no matter how hot she is, someone, somewhere is tired of her crap.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeker Tulvi
    Arcana Cleric
    HP: 21/21, AC: 17
    Spell slots: 4/4, 2/2
    Concentration: None

"Thank you, she said gracefully, and her attention turned to the party.
    "I am eager to explore that house. Shall we depart?"
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Lioslaith View Post
    Realizing the satyr knew he was there and listening, Caspain gets up and saunters over to the group talking directly to him. "You said you r-r-rrr-ran out. Did you take your kills or d-d-dddd-did you leave -em?"
    "It's a shame," he chuckles. "I had to leave them behind. This was a couple years back so I don't expect you'll find them there. Unless the ghosts settled for those bodies to come back in, haha!"

6. - Top - End - #36
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Eldryn samples his drink, after a delicate sniff. It tastes as bad as it smells, and he surrepticiously spits the mouthful back into the cup and places it back on the bar. He has no intention of drinking more of the foul stuff, though from what he can see around the inn, the humans seem to enjoy it well enough. It seems like their taste buds are much less refined than those of an elf. He is more used to fine elven wines, flavoured with flowers, not with potatoes and indescribable other things.

He is satisfied with the satyr's words. "So. It sounds like there may truly be the undead there, after all. I doubted it, but appear to be wrong. If these arms that appeared truly existed, and I have no reason to doubt our friend here, then we have a genuine struggle on our hands. I wonder if we can get hold of some holy water before we go in. It may well come in handy, if our other talents and gifts are not of use," he suggests.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Caspian sets a gold piece on the bar in front of the satyr, "Thank you. F-f-f-ffffff-for your trouble." With that he nods and turns towards the door to head out.
    I like the globe warm...

8. - Top - End - #38

(On a roll from OOC)

You all take some time to ask about the alchemist who used to live in the house - it is mostly older residents who can offer rumors. Vildrun Aurum may have been researching how to turn items to gold. Years ago there were rumors that he had a secret stash of gold stored away in the house. Whether or not there is any truth to this, his more valuable items will be hidden away. In his studies, he also amassed an impressive set of books on a variety of topics. Also, he kept a garden to provide himself fresh food, to avoid coming into town too often.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Eldryn figures the garden will have gone to waste by now, and will contain nothing of value. But the library of books and scrolls might well contain much of value, and he intends to rescue the collection from the house if the opportunity arises. He heads for the temple, hoping to ask for holy water to be supplied if possible. He also takes the opportunity to recheck his holy book, in the hope that more information will have revealed itself since speaking with the satyr and others in the town, though it is a slim hope indeed. He does find himself reflecting on the meaning of what he could discern of it already, in the hopes that he might be able to find a warning of imminent danger.

10. - Top - End - #40

The walk up to the house is uneventful, thankfully, with just the sound of the waves below lapping against the shore. As you near the house you see it is at the top of a rocky cliff, a lone building that has not been maintained for years. Low clouds press upon you; occasional patches of sunlight appear out over the water. A stiff wind blows in off the waves, carrying the briny stink of churning salt water.

The decrepit house sits on the highest ground in the area. Around it, a stone wall has crumbled in many places, exposing the interior grounds. An ornate metal gate lies open at the end of the road, swaying slightly in the wind. Wild flora grows throughout the inner yard, but all the years cannot hide the evidence of a well-tended garden that once sat here. Near the house, the rotted wooden roof of a water well rises out of the tall grass.

You all stand outside the gate to this house. What do you do?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

Yue
    Yue takes off her pack and cloak revealing her wings. She places her pack against the stone wall, folds her cloak on top, stretches her wings, and jumps off the cliff taking flight.

Catching some altitude she circles the building looking through any windows or openings before returning to the others.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Cast Guidance on self.
    Staying at least 30 feet away from the building.
    Perception (1d20+1)[16] + Guidance (1d4)[1]
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2022-01-23 at 05:55 PM.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

12. - Top - End - #42

Flying around the house, you're able to get a quick glance inside through the holes in the roof. The upper floor of the house looks uncared for as well - the floorboards under the open roof are likely rotting and you don't notice any signs of anyone living here from this distance.

For entrances, you see that most rooms have a window that could be broken rather easily. There's a backdoor (presumably Traibar entered this way and found the kitchen) and a patio off one wing of the house that seems to be overgrown with plants (which could be cut away). The holes in the roof could be an option for you, but the rest of the party would need to climb the side of the building to access them and there is no easy way to do this. Down the cliff there seems to be the opening to a cave but from this distance you can't see far inside - it would be difficult to scale the cliff face to reach this cave but it would be accessible by sea.

Of course, there's also the front door.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Caspian nods as Yue circles the building. After the report he starts walking to the front door.
    I like the globe warm...

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeker Tulvi
    Arcana Cleric

Listening carefully to Yue's (presumable) description of what she saw, the elf nodded. She reached down and unwrapped the cloth around her sword, baring the steel in preparation.
    "A few recommendations, if I may be so presumptuous," Tulvi said.
    "But I do suggest that no one should be alone inside, even if just a door away. And that if you find something interesting, you notify the rest of us before interfering with it. "
    She looked at the others, smiling serenely, but her cyan eyes were watching to see how the others responded; after all, she'd never met or worked with these people before.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

Yue
    After landing Yue tells the others of what she has seen.
    "<There are multiple ways in, holes in the roof, doors in the back, windows that can break. Also a cave down at the water may be of interest, may be unrelated. Nothing moving inside that I could see, no guarantee that the house is empty.>"

---

Yue agrees with Tulvi nodding "<Strength in unity, yes.>"

---

She packs her cloak away and puts the backpack on. Then, unsure of what they might face inside, draws a rapier with her dominant hand and a wand with her off hand then positions herself 20 ft from the door.

16. - Top - End - #46

(Sorry, thought I would have more to post but apparantly not yet).

You walk up the short path to the house, passing the garden to one side and well to the other and stand on the porch that wraps its way around the building. From a quick glance at the windows, you guess that the house is around, say, 120 wide, and that there are five rooms along the font side. From left to right, a glance at the windows shows: an empty room, a library, an entrance hall, and two more empty rooms.

You stand in front of the front door, windows on either side clearly showing an entrance hall and stairs going up to the second floor.

OOC There may be more details about each room that you can learn with a perception/investigation check, this is just from a quick look as you're walking.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ogre in the Playground

Yue
    Yue is a bit more interested in the plants in the former garden then the contents of the rooms.

Show
    Perception: (1d20+1)[3]
    If there are any cute birds or critters nearby I am thinking I might try ritual casting Speak with Animals and ask if they know of anything in the building.

Edit: Not with that roll. More like Yue gets distracted by a passing cloud.
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2022-01-26 at 12:37 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Eldryn suggests, "Could it be possible that this is all a hoax? Perhaps that entrance at sea level is a smuggler's cave, and they got a wizard to cast the illusion of ghosts for our friend in town? That would frighten him away, yet the ghosts never harmed him, and didn't leave the building. It would make sense, I suppose. What do all of you think of the idea?" He takes a look through the windows, paying particular attention to the library. "I think we should go back to town, get a boat, then row it to the cave. If nothing else, it means we will be approaching from an unexpected direction, and will have the element of surprise to our favour."

Show
    Perception check: (1d20+2)[17]

19. - Top - End - #49
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Byrok shrugs. "We're here, we may as well look around. If you fear to open the door, then I'll do it. But not until we've checked that garden and taken a peek into that well."
    Last edited by Snarkhunter; 2022-01-26 at 05:17 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Yue

"<Even if hoax, smugglers can be dangerous. I can fly down and look closer, see if there is a boat. Then I have the spell of falling like feathers if we want to go down now and later leave with boat.>"

21. - Top - End - #51

The garden has not been tended to in a long time - you see broken tools in the dirt and most of what is left is weeds. However, you do notice a rosebush growing naturally here and, unpruned, it has started to take over the garden. As you inspect it, you hear the sound of creatures skittering, and four giant weasels burst out of their burrow underneath the rosebush!

Spoiler: Initiative
    Show
    Giant Weasels (1d20+3)[20]
    Caspian (1d20+1)[18]
    Eldryn (1d20+1)[2]
    Yue (1d20+3)[16]
    Byrok (1d20+0)[7]
    Tulvi (1d20+3)[8]

So, the turn order is:
    Weasels
    Not Weasels

Coming up with their attack soon...
    Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2022-01-27 at 11:42 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52

Two of the Weasels attack Yue, right in front of them, baring their teeth and lunging forward.

Spoiler: Attacks 1 and 2
    Show
    Weasel 1 Attack (1d20+5)[13]
    Weasel 1 Damage (1d4+3)[4]

Weasel 2 Attack (1d20+5)[17]
    Weasel 2 Damage (1d4+3)[4]

One of the Weasels attempts to bite Yue but gets its teeth stuck in her armor, the other aims its mouth better and pierces her skin for 4 damage.

Another of the weasels runs straight to Caspian, hoping for some Tortle Soup.

Spoiler: Attack 3
    Show

Weasel 3 Attack (1d20+5)[7]
    Weasel 3 Damage (1d4+3)[5]

Caspian's attacker simple gnaws on his shell.

The final one goes after Byrok, who has just started to walk toward the well.

Spoiler: Attack 4
    Show

Weasel 4 Attack (1d20+5)[7]
    Weasel 4 Damage (1d4+3)[5]

Lunging, this Giant Weasel completely misses, landing flat on the ground and shaking its head before standing again.

Everyone is close enough to move and attack any Giant Weasel. 1 and 2 are engaged with Yue, 3 is with Caspian, 4 is with Byrok so if you're moving away from them, you'll need to disengage.

Yue can also make an opportunity attack on Weasel 3 or 4 as they run past her.
    Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2022-01-27 at 11:51 AM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Dwarf in the Playground

DruidGuy

Unfazed by the Giant Weasel's sudden appearance, Byrok readies his pike and attacks the nearest rodent and plans to move to help Yue as soon as he can.
    Last edited by Snarkhunter; 2022-01-27 at 12:55 PM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Yue
    HP: 15/19, AC: 14, Resistance: Fire
    Yue yelps as the weasels seemingly come out of nowhere and bite her. She was hoping to find a critter that was a bit smaller, and less aggressive to talk to.

As one of them runs past she thrusts with her rapier.

Flying with a pack on is uncomfortable, but preferable to being eaten, so Yue jumps into the air.

Show
    Rapier Opportunity Attack on #3 (1d20+5)[7], Damage (1d8+3)[11]
    Action: Disengage
    Move: Fly 15 ft up into the air out of melee range of everything on the ground
    Last edited by Izzarra; 2022-01-27 at 10:42 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

Shocked by the appearance of the weasels, Yue tried to strike out at them but misses. She carefully gets herself in the air where the Weasels can't hurt her.

Byrok's strike lands on the Giant Weasel near him, but it manages to stay standing after that impressive attack.

Caspian, on the other hand, seems to be in a comedy of errors - the Giant Weasel holds on to his shell and while it doesn't do damage, Caspian seems not to be able to reach it with his trident.

Spoiler: Byrok and Caspian Attack
    Show

Byrok's Pike: (1d20+6)[18]
    Byrok's Damage: (1d10+4)[8]
    Caspian's Trident: (1d20+5)[11]
    Caspian's Damage: (1d8+3)[5]

OOC: Tulvi and Eldryn still have turns. I'll give them some time to post but if I check in tomorrow morning and they still haven't posted I'll just move on to the next turn, owing anyone who hasn't posted an extra turn.
    Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2022-01-28 at 09:57 AM.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeker Tulvi
    Arcana Cleric

Tulvi whispered something to her sword, and the hooked blade glowed as if coated in cyan embers. The woman stepped forward and in a single neat motion opened a bloody red line across the flesh of one of the weasels. The embers congregated around the wound, then sprang like a living thing to cling, burning, on the nearest other weasel. The sharp odour of burning fur filled the air to mix with the smell of blood.

"Hardly ghosts,"
    she said, her tone unchanged. "But wild beasts can be no less dangerous than the dead."

Show
    Tulvi uses green-flame blade
    19 to hit
    4 damage on the hit weasel
    3 fire damage on a nearby weasel
    Last edited by Awful; 2022-01-29 at 08:29 PM.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Eldryn is taken by surprise, and is the last to react of the party. WHen he does, though, he steps back and launches a pair of eldritch blasts at the weasel attacking Caspian, since Caspian seems to be doing worse against their opponent than the rest of the party.

Show

(1d20+4)[5] Attack roll for eldritch blast for first round.
    (1d10+2)[8] Force damage roll for eldritch blast for first round.
    (1d20+4)[9] Attack roll for eldritch blast for second round.
    (1d10+2)[6] Force damage roll for eldritch blast for second round.

28. - Top - End - #58

Tulvi runs up to the pair of weasels , striking one with her sword and the other with fire. Eldryn's magic, however, is less helpful.

Caspian's attacker lets go of his shell and attempts another attack. Once again it misses, cracking its tooth on Caspian's shell.

Byrok's attacker looks like it is on its last legs but tries to hurt him in retaliation. But dazed from the near fatal attack, it jumps in the complete wrong direction.

The two that tried to attack Yue seem angry that their original prey is gone, then at being struck by Tulvi. They both lunge at her. Only one is able to connect with skin, but its bite doesn't seem to be quite as powerful as it could be since it rolled minimum damage. Tulvi takes 4 damage.

Spoiler: Weasel rolls/status
    Show

Caspian's Weasel (undamaged)
    (1d20+4)[15]
    (1d4+3)[4]

Byrok's Weasel (took 8 damage)
    (1d20+4)[6]
    (1d4+3)[4]

Weasel Pair (one lost 4 health, the other lost 3)
    (1d20+4)[23]
    (1d4+3)[4]
    (1d20+4)[11]
    (1d4+3)[7]

Last edited by CaoimhinTheCape; 2022-01-31 at 09:26 AM.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Yue
    HP: 15/19, AC: 14, Resistance: Fire
    Holding out her wand and speaking an incantation a mote of white flame forms at the tip which Yue shoots at the Weasel that bit her.

Show
    Fire Bolt Attack (1d20+5)[18], Damage (1d10)[2]

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Having missed badly in the rush of combat, Eldryn decides to switch his aim to help Yue out. He sends an eldritch blast flashing out at the weasel that just hurt Yue, being careful to aim better this time, in the hopes of actually doing something useful this time.

Show
    (1d20+4)[22] Eldritch Blast attack roll
    (1d10+2)[6] damage roll