New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Forgotten Realms material on The East

I recently got The Unapproachable East for 3rd edition out again after probably over 15 years, and it's just as interesting as I remember it. Now I am even wondering why I never ran a campaign in it back in the day?
    While it's a pretty great all in one resource, I am always a bit more interested in the original versions of the various Forgotten Realms regions. Does anyone know what other earlier (and perhaps later?) sources exist on Aglarond, Rashemen, Thay, Thesk, The Great Dale, Narfell, and Impiltur?

I know about Dreams of the Red Wizards for 1st edition and Spellbound for 2nd edition, and of course the relevant sections in the Campaign Setting boxes.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Forgotten Realms material on The East

2e's Bloodstone Lands has some stuff on Impiltur and Narfell as neighbours of Damara and Vaasa. Similarly, Old Empires is worth getting for describing the adjacent region of Mulhorand since that's got a lot of interaction with Thay. Powers & Pantheons also covers the deities of that region in some detail.

Dragon Magazine #346 has a more in-depth article on Impiltur.

There's also some stuff in Champions of Ruin, Champions of Valour, and Lost Empires of Faerūn
    Spoiler: In case this signature gets lengthy
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    A game setting does need to be designed to be fun and functional to game in.

But there's more to good worldbuilding than piling the "parts to game in" on a big pile.

Farmland isn't there to be adventured in, primarily, but one assumes it's still there and part of the landscape -- just because adventurers don't go there often doesn't mean it doesn't or shouldn't or needn't exist.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Somehow it didn't occur to me that Impiltur could be in the Bloodstone Lands, but it does look more like an obvious grouping back on the 1st edition maps. Totally slipped past me.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

For a long while, TSR would release a supplement for various regions of the Forgotten Realms. The bigger ones are "Horse Lords" as their Mongol analog, and Kura-Tur as their Asian analog. Empires of the Sands covered the "Middle East" for FR, whereas Pirates of the Fallen Stars detailed the sea of fallen stars region. The Shining South covered Halruaa and Dambrath.

Hell, it would probably be easier to just link this, rather than try to go over everything here lol.
    "Sleeping late might not be a virtue, but it sure aint no vice. The old saw about the early bird and the worm just goes to show that the worm should have stayed in bed."

- L. Long

I think, therefore I get really, really annoyed at people who won't.

"A plucky band of renegade short-order cooks fighting the Empire with the power of cheap, delicious food and a side order of whup-ass."