New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: The Searchers IC Thread

The Nawab nods approvingly at the young female as she distributes necklaces. Aloud he says, "There are foothills near the palace with primeval forest where you could search for herbs. If the Commodore is agreeable, the airship can be held here while you scour those areas for your supplies. I will have servants guide you to them once this interview with my wayward cousin is concluded."
    Empyreal Lord of the Elysian Realm of Well-Intentioned Fail

2. - Top - End - #32

Khajir brings out a second silver album of birthday portraits of the children. "For the airship crew", he says.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Adonis nods as he accepts them on behalf of his crew, stowing the album in his haversack.
    Last edited by Yas392; 2022-01-17 at 09:02 AM.

4. - Top - End - #34

Drumrolls and fanfares from outside herald the arrival of the entourage claiming kinship right to access. The outer doors are flung open and the visitors enter.

To most, it appears to be a collection of barefoot monks in the robes of various pious orders, surrounding a stout young man with an oiled black beard.

Spoiler: For Those Seeing Through Illusions
    Show
    You see the central figure is a jackal-headed rakshasa, surrounded by a bear-headed orsatka rakshasa in a red robe, an orsatka rakshasa in a blue robe, a feminine tataka rakshasa in a green robe, a tataka rakshasa in a gold robe, a viper-armed marai rakshasa in a brown robe, a marai rakshasa in a black robe, a magma dragon, and an iron golem.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bolt maintains his tiny size, so he is unable to accept the necklace at the moment, though he vows to do so as soon as his size allows for it. He flits upwards to the roof, and settles upon a roof beam. This will allow him to keep an eye on what is going on below him, while also allowing him to hide from view. He studies the room carefully, trying to work out just how large he would be able to grow without damaging the chamber, in case he needs to do so. It is possible that this cousin may prove harmless, but the Nawab must have a better idea of his cousin's intentions than the collection of strangers in the room, so he assumes there will be trouble.

He maintains his peace for now, not casting any defensive spells, as was requested within the chamber. He prepares his powers to be cast the moment that the Nawab is either in danger, or signals that all is not right and that combat is necessary.

6. - Top - End - #36

The young stout man with the oily beard rudely speaks first. "Condolences, Great Lord! Condolences to our House!"

The Nawab controls his temper at this impertinence. "Words are widespread, cousin, if you have heard any cause for condolences to our House."

"Widely enough," laughs the young man. "You look unwell, Great Lord. Pardon a family member noticing."

"Whereas you look the same cousin," says the Nawab.

"I am mostly well, Great Lord," laughs the young man.

"I mean, you look exactly as you did twenty years ago when I banished you, cousin," says the Nawab sharply. "Do not toy with me, Iakub! I was extremely patient with you, but my tolerance has limits, even for blood relations."

The young man grins. With a shimmer like a summer mirage, the illusion fades. The young man is revealed to be a jackal-headed rakshasa, surrounded by a bear-headed orsatka rakshasa in a red robe, an orsatka rakshasa in a blue robe, a feminine tataka rakshasa in a green robe, a tataka rakshasa in a gold robe, a viper-armed marai rakshasa in a brown robe, a marai rakshasa in a black robe, a magma dragon, and an iron golem.

"HOLD!" shouts the Nawab, as the court balks at the horrors confronting them. "I would parley with this miscreant!"

"Prudence itself, Great Lord," says the jackal-headed rakshasa. "Know that despite your insolent punishment, I have ascended beyond humanity. I stand with my brethren to collect your largesse and bear it across the seas to serve the great Kankarna Immortal and his loyal servants."

Blood darkens the face of the Nawab, and a trickle of bile runs down one corner of his mouth. Yet he controls himself enough to say, "Name your ransom, child-thief."

The rakshasas all laugh. "Oh not ransom!" says the jackal-headed leader. "Ransom means return of the captives, and your children are lost to you forever. But we thought, you might want to contribute to their upkeep while they're away?"

The Nawab snaps. "KILL these malefactors!"he howls, stamping his foot.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Argen doesn't even wait for the Nawab. As soon as the jackal Iakub speaks of the Kankarna Immortal, the old man screams. "THE WELLERMAN! YOU KNOW OF HIM! TELL ME WHERE HE IS THIS INSTANT!" The Invisibility cast on Argen drops as his eyes crackle with electricity and fury. The ring on his left hand glows brightly. In an instant, the room bursts into chaos as a powerful storm suddenly wreaks its havoc. Winds whip wildly. Rain crashes down in sheets, boiling hot. Thunder cracks aboves.

Despite the insanity, Argen, the Nawab, and every member of the party find themselves completely dry and undisturbed, as if the room was still in total order. Argen steps forward, directly in front of Jalaan. "THE WELLERMAN SHALL PAY FOR HIS CRIMES, AND SO SHALL YOU!"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Standard Action to Create Weather: Severity 7 Wind/Heat/Precipitation.
    Every round, everyone not under a Mantle of Clear Skies takes 40 Fire damage.
    Every round, I can choose 1 target to be hit by Lightning(80 Electric damage, DC 29 Reflex for half
    The Nawab and the party are all under my Mantle, which gives them +30 to all movement speeds, +3 to ranged attacks, a 130ft Fly speed if they don't already have one, and treat all weather effects as if they were (at most) Severity 2
    Move Action to be 10ft in front of the Nawab if I wasn't already.
    SP Cost: 2
    Remaining SP: 45/49

Spoiler: Edit: OOC 2
    Show

Almost forgot. I need the Rakshasha, the Magma Dragon, and the Iron Golem and anyone else in the room without my Mantle to make a DC 15 Str check or be knocked over by the strong winds
    They all take an additional 18 Fire each round from the Heat itself as well.
    Last edited by Armonia13; 2022-01-18 at 06:35 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38

Chaos! The courtly retinue and guards and majordomo run screaming from the room, fleeing behind the throne to the hallways to the Residency.

The entourage of villains wails as scalding hot rain and furious wind sweeps over them, knocking all but the Iron Golem and Magma Dragon prone on the floor.

The Magma Dragon says "Really?" in Draconic. He gazes directly at Bolt. "'Must thou slay me, brother?'" he says, quoting an ancient Draconic text, that means, between dragons, he is ready to parley for quarter.

Iakub spits "You want the Wellerman? Seek him in Hell!"
    Last edited by TheYell; 2022-01-18 at 02:14 PM.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

As the word "Hell" leaves Iakub's mouth, a cannonball on a chain slams into his face. Four more strikes follow the first in rapid succession as Carver's adamantine form becomes visible.

Spoiler: Combat!
    Show

First Strike (1d20+38)[58]
    First Damage (1d10+27)[34]

Spoiler: Not sure if Sneak Attack applies to the chain-flail, but in case it does:
    Show
    Sneak Attack Damage (3d6)[12]

Second Strike (1d20+33)[40]
    Second Damage (1d10+27)[36]

Third Strike (1d20+28)[42]
    Third Damage (1d10+27)[31]

Fourth Strike (1d20+23)[25]
    Fourth Damage (1d10+27)[32]

Haste Strike (1d20+38)[55]
    Haste Damage (1d10+27)[37]

10. - Top - End - #40

Iakub's headless corpse slaps the floor, as the other rakshasa turn in shock to stare at Carver standing along the wall.

"We're surrounded!" one of them screams.

"How do we teleport out of here now?" asks another.

"Seriously," says the Magma Dragon to Bolt. "I was sold on a monkey-chomping expedition by these mudblooded rascals, and this ain't it. I suppose I should offer you a duel to the death blahblahblah, but I'm just not feeling it. If you'll keep the monkeys and their clockwork exterminator off my back, I'll yield to you."

The Iron Golem lurches around to face Carver. "all inferior creatures are the enemies of the Golem and must be exterminated" it says breathily, in a cloud of gas vapor.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

"It would appear that your reasoning has flaws, Golem. The being who employed you was clearly inferior." Carver stands to it's full height, "Or do you mean to challenge me for superiority. Assuming you prevail, you'll find it a costly victory."
    Last edited by LairdMaon; 2022-01-18 at 04:26 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

Majeed had done a lot of pre-buffing, noted in his character sheet, but it looks like it might have been overkill. Overchanneling some of them dealt him (8d8)[30] damage, which went to his Delayed Damage Pool, and he will have manifested Vigor with enough augmentation to cancel out the incoming damage.

The moment the attack began, Majeed flew over the fiendish entourage and swept a blast of roiling energies across them like a gout of whirling golden sand. Despite the chaotic roiling of the energy, he took care to keep it away from his allies - and from Iakub. "Do not destroy the traitor's body!" he warned his companions.

With arcane words and sharp gestures of his gauntleted hands, the masked mage conjured a salvo of tightly-bound rays of similar golden dust at the serpent-armed Rakshasas.

He landed with inhuman speed behind the Iron Golem and attacked with an inhumanly fast flurry of blows. He punched with his spiked gauntlets, struck with knees and elbows and with spikes cleverly hidden on the armor of his forearms, and even headbutted the construct with his steel mask.

Spoiler
    Show

Swift Action: Switch back to God of the Hourglass Stance.

Move Action: Move as described OOC, flying beside and above the Rakshasas such that he can catch B, C, D, and E in a cone attack without hitting friendlies, Iakub's dead body, or the Magma Dragon that's trying to surrender.

Standard Action [via Schism]: Initiate Wrath of Time (Strike), hitting those enemies for (1d20+43)[57] damage; targets who fail their saves (Fort DC 28) take double damage.

Standard Action: Cast Disintegrate (Twinned, Split Ray, Empowered, Persistent) using a 7th level spell slot, targeting Rakshasas F and G. Fort DC 30, targets must roll the save twice and pass both times. What the heck, he'll use Great Power, Greater Expense from Pact Wizard to roll twice on his Caster Level checks. Reading the feats, I believe one attack roll and caster level check applies to each of the Twin spells, but each of the Split Rays gets a separate saving throw.

versus F: (1d20+32)[33] vs Touch AC; best of (1d20+28)[33] or (1d20+28)[37] vs Spell Resistance
    (54d6)[199] damage or (7d6)[33] (if saves passed)
    (54d6)[174] or (7d6)[27]

versus G: (1d20+32)[34] vs Touch AC; best of (1d20+28)[38] or (1d20+28)[34] vs Spell Resistance
    (54d6)[202] or (7d6)[26]
    (54d6)[163] or (7d6)[20]

Move Action [via God of the Hourglass Stance]: Move around to behind the Iron Golem.

Free Action: Expend one Psionic Focus to initiate maneuver Beat the Clock as a Free Action for an additional Standard Action.

Standard Action [via Beat the Clock]: Initiate Primal Frenzy (Strike). Attack Iron Golem with all wielded + natural weapons (gained via Metamorphosis).

Left Gauntlet: (1d20+34)[54] to hit, (1d4+17)[21] + (6d6)[27] Piercing
    Right Gauntlet: (1d20+34)[54] to hit, (1d4+17)[20] + (6d6)[17] Piercing
    Armor Spikes: (1d20+34)[47] to hit, (1d4+17)[20] + (6d6)[15] Piercing
    Bladed Mask (counts-as Barbazu Beard): (1d20+34)[40] to hit, (1d4+17)[20] + (6d6)[23] Slashing (provokes an attack of opportunity)
    Slam: (1d20+30)[43] to hit, (2d6+13)[24] + (6d6)[26] Bludgeoning
    Slam: (1d20+30)[35] to hit, (2d6+13)[21] + (6d6)[25] Bludgeoning
    Slam: (1d20+30)[41] to hit, (2d6+13)[18] + (6d6)[22] Bludgeoning

13. - Top - End - #43

The orsatka and tataka rakshasas writhe in pain under the effect of Majeed's attack; one of them doubles over.

The two marai rakshasa start to yell "Nnnnnn---" before they are vaporized into clouds of fine dust.

The Iron Golem is battered and dented but still mobile, saved only by the supreme hardness of its material shell. "Ow" it breathes. "Rope a dope, rope a dope, rope a dope".

The Magma Dragon calls out in Draconic, "You know I'm from the Lost Isles? I could tell you about it."
    Last edited by TheYell; 2022-01-18 at 10:32 PM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Firbolg in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Adonis follows Majeed's lead after his eyes trails at his action that exclude the dragon from behind the throne. He peppers a Rakshasa with arrow.

Show
    Full-attack vs the standing Rakshasa (flatfooted). Switching to target to Golem if he has remaining attacks and one of his attacks kills the demon.

Attack 1: (1d20+25)[40]
    Attack 2: (1d20+20)[28]
    Attack 3: (1d20+15)[30]

Damage 1: (1d6+13)[17]
    Damage 2: (1d6+13)[16]
    Damage 3: (1d6+13)[17]

Attacks bypasses alignment based, cold, silver, Adamantine DR. Attacks has Ghost Touch property (full damage to incorporeal). If any attacks hit, suppresses invisibility and concealment effects.

15. - Top - End - #45

The orsatka rakasha in the red robe slumps to the floor, a neat row of three arrows lodged between its veterbrae.

The three remaining rakshasa begin chanting a somber death anthem:

Vanguard of the damned, with banners unfurled,
    Begin our fell march, to conquer this world.
    Undying, unholy, sans temple or fane,
    We spring back from death, to master this Plane.

The Magma Dragon begins thrashing its tail. "You know I'm not supposed to go back to the Lost Isles, tribal thingy, but if you offer protection I could go with you and help scout around? Would that be okay? Hello? Brother?"

The Iron Golem lets the scalding rain heal some of its damage. "Aahhh" it breathes.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Bolt maintains his position atop the roof beam. He yells down at his companions, "Do not harm the dragon. He will not harm you if you leave him in peace. He was brought here under false pretenses and could prove a friend." He then yells to the dragon in Draconic, "Do not attack my friends and you will not be harmed, and do not attack the Nawab or his allies either."

He then breathes pure force at the iron golem, the blast intended to destroy the creature quickly and without danger to himself.

Show
    Force Blast against Iron Golem. (8d6)[21] Force damage, plus save vs Reflex or be knocked prone, DC 28.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Halfling in the Playground

The Little One would watch as the Contractor's relative would be allowed into the structure. An expression of childish wonder and fascination would be worn by her upon the sight of the two larger members of the visiting company, the metal construct and the dragonkin. She would begin to rummage about her bag and papers as the parties conversed. This would be shortlived as it faded when the exchange between the Contractor and the 'malefactors' soured. Forced greetings met with provocation, insincere pleasantries, boasts, eventually leading to outright hostility.

Escalating rather quickly, with both the Contractor ordering the deaths of the visitors and the ire of the dwarf conjuring a massive storm- the little one would be showered upon and utterly drenched by the boiling rain with steam emanating with every drop. Not too long after she would stumble from the force of the winds, falling to the ground without any sign of resistance. She'd watch as the company would rather swiftly begin to dispatch the vast majority of the creatures in just mere moments. At the sight of the room being filled with corpses and dust, she'd avert her gaze and cover her head with the sleeves of her winter coat. From the youth's bag a quantity of gazes from what appears to be tiny-sized plush animals would slightly spill and peek out, all bearing a rather eerie look of life and hunger.

Show
    A Greater Summon Cacodaemon effect, lacking any components(Verbal, Somatic, Et Cetera).

(1d4+1)[5]

Each shall immediately begin Soul Lock before falling lifeless. The process will begin once again and repeat the following turn if available and inadequate in quantity to account for all of the deceased hostile visitors.

Each plush doll would seemingly inhale, dropping a gem inside of the bag, before quickly falling into a lifeless state- lacking any of the signs regarding the brief moments of life it previously had. Though it would not be long before an entirely different set of stuffed creatures would begin to manifest a similar appearance as their own gazes peer out from the same bag.

18. - Top - End - #48

"Thanks bro!" calls the Magma Dragon. He curls up like a cat and goes to sleep.

"Owww" says the Iron Golem, as the force beam spaaaangs off the back of his head, making a dent. He falls to the floor.

The Nawab sees the little one hit by boiling rain and steps forward to drag her to the throne. "Call off your storm, Captain! You reckless dwarf! You're doing more damage now than helping!"

At the sight of the little one's cacodemons, the surviving three rakshasa raise howls of rage. "She dares disrupt the cycle of rebirth! KILL HER!" shrieks one of the tataka rakshasas.

19. - Top - End - #49

The Magma Dragon opens a glowing eye. "What's that? You won't reincarnate?" It opens both eyes and glares at the rakshasas. "You don't even understand Draconic. Sickening mudblooded reprobates, no culture and you stuck me in this hideous place to die at the hands of monkeys. Eat flame." He breathes a cone of fire at the three rakshasa.

Spoiler
    Show
    10d6(33)

The three rakshasa dance as their robes ignite.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

Siobhan returns to visibility as she casts feeblemind at the rakshasha wearing green.

"Less cryptic nonsense out of you, please," she says after finishing the spell.
    Last edited by Taelas; 2022-01-19 at 10:11 AM.

21. - Top - End - #51

The green-robed tataka rakshasa slowly climbs to her feet, joined by her two rakshasa companions. "Now see how trueborn immortals can die," she says, and stands back to back with her companions in horse stance, in a triangle, silently waiting for your next assault.

The Iron Golem watches them refuse to charge, in disbelief. "you are cowards," he breathes. "aaaaaaaaaaa" and he charges the huge Warforged in front of him.

Spoiler
    Show
    1d20+28(40)
    damage 2d10+16(25)
    2nd 1d20+28(34)
    damage 2d10+16(28)

22. - Top - End - #52
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Carver hardly flinches as the Iron Golem lands both strikes on it's chest. With deliberate motions, it draws the chain-flail in and twirls it before slamming it into the hulking construct.

Spoiler: Combat!
    Show

Strike (1d20+38)[52]
    Damage (1d10+27)[28]

Almost as an aside, it calls over it's shoulder, "Give me room. And stay out from under my feet."

23. - Top - End - #53

The Iron Golem crumples like a beer can under the blow, its head knocked down into its hips.

"Nwwaa...nnww" says the green-robed rakshasa. A bead of drool runs down her face as the feeblemind spell kicks into full effect. The other two rakshasas grab her elbows and start moving towards the durbar door.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

Majeed straightened and took up a zen-like stance, almost meditative but for its brevity. With almost languid motions compared to his mad flurry a moment ago, he turned and directed another cyclone of golden sand at the fleeing Rakshasas.

Spoiler
    Show

Recover all maneuvers as a Full Round Action via Defensive Focus, and a Psionic Focus via Hypercognitive Focus.

Move as necessary to avoid friendly fire, using God of the Hourglass Stance's extra action.

Standard Action (via Schism) blast the fleeing Rakshasas with Wrath of Time again.

Edit: Typo in roll tags, will roll damage in OOC.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2022-01-19 at 01:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #55

"Stretcher party!" shouts one of the rakshasa. "Cease firrrraaarrgghh" he growls as the stream of dust hits them. They collapse into the steaming pool of rainwater. A gust of wind blows a squall of steaming fog over the three, and when it passes, they are lying face down in the hot water, unmoving.

Spoiler
    Show
    The 40 heat damage from the rain finished them off, Argen gets the final kill!

The Nawab surveys the ruin of his fine durbar, the shattered mosaic overhead, the flooded and torn carpet, the cracked flagstones where the golem fell. "Guess we'll be using the winter durbar for a bit," he muses. He turns to Argen Windwalker. "Mind if I be in charge for a while?"

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

MindFlayer

Carver immediately stands down, the chain-flail flickering out of existence once more. He turns to face the Nawab and drops to a knee.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Majeed flew back and cut into the conversation with urgency. "My Lord, I can revive your former kinsman for interrogation, even with... such damage done to him. But it must be done quickly or the chance will be lost."
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2022-01-19 at 01:49 PM.

28. - Top - End - #58

"Do so, if he can be contained," says the Nawab."It would be well to question him."

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

With a nod of his masked visage, Majeed set to work dragging the barely-recognizable pieces of the already-transformed Iakub to a nearby corner, one with solid stone walls, then set to work. "Any who wish to be present for the interrogation, come to this corner please. My Lord, for your safety I must advise that you remain outside the barrier."

Spoiler
    Show

- He will first cast Wall of Force, angled to enclose the corner completely (unlike 5e, Pathfinder Wall of Force must be a single plane.)
    - Dimensional Anchor works on objects, so Majeed will cast it on the body before reviving.
    - Manifest Psionic Revivify, augmented to work on outsiders. Iakub revives with 1 negative level, +2 per round since his death. As such, Majeed may even take his time before this step.
    - Activate Reveal Weakness Void School Power
    - Use Infernal Healing on Iakub so he regains consciousness.
    - Cast Mind Probe for mental interrogation.
    Last edited by Athaleon; 2022-01-19 at 02:26 PM.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Halfling in the Playground

As fast as the conflict had started, it had ended. When matters had calmed and the chaos had begun to settle, the Little One would peer out and uncover her self to see the rather destructive aftermath of the rather one-sided bullying. She would slowly rise upon her feet and attempt to brush and dry herself off the best she is able, as the room had only been just recently full of steam, water, wind, and fine dust.

From within the bag, the new set of plush dolls would animate replacing the previous lifeless ones.

Show
    (1d4+1)[5]

Since the Nawab's kin is needed for interrogation, no further soul-eating plush dolls are required beyond a minimum roll for a total of seven for the purposes of Soul Lock.

The stuffed creatures would once more peek out from the youth's bag before they would seemingly inhale, then dropping gems inside their dwelling. Not a moment later did they then fall lifeless as if they were without life.

She would attempt to make herself as presentable as well as any mundane person could in the given circumstances before giving a slight bow to the Contractor before asking-

"Would it be fine if this one had permission to tend to the other bodies while everyone handles the serious matter of family?"