New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Question Microsoft Word Autosave didn't work (maybe). Help?

I neglected to save a file I'd been working on for more than half a week. Or rather, it had been more than half a week since I had saved it. My computer decided to freeze up, so I had to shut it down and restart it. When I opened up Word again, the other file I had been working on popped up as an autorecovered file, but this document came up with "Last saved by user" missing all the stuff I had added since the last save. I hadn't changed any settings that would have prevented it from autosaving, so I went to the internet to find out how to recover unsaved files. I follow the steps to get to the "recover unsaved documents" (after I saved the other one).

Nothing was there. No unsaved files at all.

All is lost, I fear (I have Word 2019, with nothing saved to the internet or anything). I go to close out Word and... it gives me the popup that it does if you've still got unsaved files in the side pane. Do I want to see whatever is there upon opening Word again, it asks? Yes please! Only... when I open word again... no side pane. Nothing in the unsaved files location. Close it out; the little popup telling me I have unopened files in that side pane comes up again.

So... do I have the autosaved file somewhere on my computer or don't I? If I don't, why is Word acting like I have something? If I do, how the heck do I get to it?

Help would be much appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Default Re: Microsoft Word Autosave didn't work (maybe). Help?

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    Help would be much appreciated.
    One thing you COULD do is look in your temp directory for a file relatively the same size as your document.

It won't have a .docx extension, of course, but it might still be readable by Word.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.