New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Default Re: With Truesight I can Eldritch Blast a BBEG True Polymorphed into an adamantium st

Quote Originally Posted by AIResearch View Post
    Only creatures have true names.
    According to you, True Polymorph eradicates the true name of the corpse.
    So, according to you corpse are creatures, right?

This is starting to sound like GIGO. Reset your neural net.
    Last edited by bid; 2022-01-13 at 09:55 PM.
    Trust but verify. There's usually a reason why I believe you can't do something.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Banned

ClericGirl

Default Re: With Truesight I can Eldritch Blast a BBEG True Polymorphed into an adamantium st

Quote Originally Posted by bid View Post
    So, according to you corpse are creatures, right?

This is starting to sound like GIGO. Reset your neural net.
    Dead creatures are creatures.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

AIR, please take a step back and just explain your point completely. I for one have no idea what you're even arguing at this point.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Dead creatures are creatures.
    Dead creatures are a specific subset of objects actually.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #125
    Banned

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    AIR, please take a step back and just explain your point completely. I for one have no idea what you're even arguing at this point.
    At this point I need you to clarify whether True Polymorph eradicates the true name as that has consequences in the game you cannot ignore which directly impinge on the discussion at hand.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Firbolg in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

At this point I need you to clarify whether True Polymorph eradicates the true name as that has consequences in the game you cannot ignore which directly impinge on the discussion at hand.
    You have failed to provide your definition of "eradicate". Because you seem to have different understanding of language and logic than other people, you need to provide the definition of words you're using so other can communicate with you on the same level.
    It's Eberron, not ebberon.
    It's not high magic, it's wide magic.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Banned

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by JackPhoenix View Post
    You have failed to provide your definition of "eradicate". Because you seem to have different understanding of language and logic than other people, you need to provide the definition of words you're using so other can communicate with you on the same level.
    Feel free to apply the dictionary definition of eradicate in your answer.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

For the sake of my sanity, no. It doesn't do anything to the true name of the creature. Now please explain why it matters at all.

9. - Top - End - #129

EvilClericGuy

Feel free to apply the dictionary definition of eradicate in your answer.
    Well, in that case, no. The devil or demon (because those are the only creatures which have true names, and even then, not all of them) in question doesn't have true name as long as it's transformed into something that isn't an appropriate creature. A pit fiend TP'd into a hezrou would have true name (hard to say if it would be the same true name, the rules are silent on that matter). The same pit fiend TP'd into a lemure (or a chair, or a cat) wouldn't.

For the sake of my sanity, no. It doesn't do anything to the true name of the creature. Now please explain why it matters at all.
    Here's a fun fact: Not every creature have a true name.
    Last edited by JackPhoenix; 2022-01-13 at 10:26 PM.
    And it's definitely not steampunk. The only time steam gets involved is when the fire and water elementals break loose.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I'm assuming they're using "true name" in the sense of "given name that works for true Resurrection and gate" here rather than in the fiendish sense.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Banned

ClericGirl

I'm assuming they're using "true name" in the sense of "given name that works for true Resurrection and gate" here rather than in the fiendish sense.
    So if you Gate a creature that is being transformed by magical effect into a statue, what happens?

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So if you Gate a creature that is being transformed by magical effect into a statue, what happens?
    Nothing. A statue is not a viable target for summoning via gate even if you do have a name associated with it.

13. - Top - End - #133

EvilClericGuy

Neither is refered to as true name, and I personally wouldn't make any assumption about what AIResearch means by words he's using

14. - Top - End - #134
    Banned

ClericGirl

Nothing. A statue is not a viable target for summoning via gate even if you do have a name associated with it.
    By extension, according to you, a creature like Halaster can be True Polymorphed into a different creature (a bronze dragon), losing the name in the process, so you cannot Gate Halastar if he is True Polymorphed.
    Last edited by AIResearch; 2022-01-13 at 10:53 PM.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

By extension, according to you, a creature like Halaster can be True Polymorphed into a different creature (a bronze dragon), losing the name in the process, so you cannot Gate Halastar if he is True Polymorphed.
    No? If he is true polymorphed into another creature, then, as a creature, he is a valid target for Gate.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

For the record, neither Gate nor True Polymorph mention “true names”: is this something you’ve made up?

17. - Top - End - #137
    Banned

ClericGirl

No? If he is true polymorphed into another creature, then, as a creature, he is a valid target for Gate.
    What happens when you Gate "Halaster" who is currently True Polymorphed into a bronze dragon that is not named Halaster?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

What happens when you Gate "Halaster" who is currently True Polymorphed into a bronze dragon that is not named Halaster?
    why is the dragon not named Halaster?

19. - Top - End - #139
    Banned

ClericGirl

why is the dragon not named Halaster?
    So according to you True Polymorph does not do anything to the real true name of the creature?

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

So according to you True Polymorph does not do anything to the real true name of the creature?
    Yes, thats what i said the first time. The "real true name" isnt a thing, but if it were, TP wouldnt affect it.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2022-01-13 at 11:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Banned

ClericGirl

Yes, thats what i said the first time. The "real true name" isnt a thing, but if it were, TP wouldnt affect it.
    Gate and True Resurrect refer to specific names. If you True Resurrect John Smith do you resurrect every past person named John Smith or just the John Smith you had in mind (such that specific name means unique ID) or does the spell fail because the name is providing countless creatures when you must supply one?

22. - Top - End - #142
    Colossus in the Playground

Gate and True Resurrect refer to specific names. If you True Resurrect John Smith do you resurrect every past person named John Smith or just the John Smith you had in mind (such that specific name means unique ID) or does the spell fail because the name is providing countless creatures when you must supply one?
    You return the John Smith you were thinking of to life. It's more than the name-it's the intent behind it.

AI, question: Do you expect to use this at a table?
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

23. - Top - End - #143
    Banned

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    You return the John Smith you were thinking of to life. It's more than the name-it's the intent behind it.

AI, question: Do you expect to use this at a table?
    So the specific name is a unique ID associated with the creature and True Polymorph does not cause that unique ID to be lost? Cool.

Now we just have to address the house rule that True Polymorph is an instantaneous spell rather than an ongoing magical effect and the house rule that changes the ability description of Truesight and True Seeing to the past tense.

Truesight enables you to target the statue with EB because you can perceive that the statue is not just an object but IS in actual fact a creature that IS being transformed by magical effect into an object.
    Last edited by AIResearch; 2022-01-14 at 03:02 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

Why are you asking us to adjudicate your houserules?

Particularly without any explanation of said houserules?

“True name” is not in the RAW.

Gate and True Resurrect refer to specific names.
    Gate and TR refer to “names.” That’s it.

Gate
    “When you cast this spell, you can speak the name of a specific creature (a pseudonym, title, or nickname doesn't work).”

TR:
    “The spell can even provide a new body if the original no longer exists, in which case you must speak the creature's name.”

Some wants to TR Tom Smith, they say “Tom Smith”. Same with Gate.

If TP made a creature an object, then neither spell works.

If TP made a creature a creature: what is that new creature’s name? If it’s Tom Smith, then Gate works.

Truesight enables you to target the statue with EB because you can perceive that the statue is not just an object but IS in actual fact a creature that IS being transformed by magical effect into an object.
    No.

First off, neither perception nor seeing is required to target with EB, so if the supposed object is really a creature (like a Mimic) it can be targeted as a creature, regardless of Truesight. Just like you can still target a creature who is invisible.

However, as has been relayed to you many times and which you choose to ignore, TP does, in fact, actually change the creature into an object, if that’s the effect being used.
    Last edited by RSP; 2022-01-14 at 09:55 AM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

Imp

So the specific name is a unique ID associated with the creature and True Polymorph does not cause that unique ID to be lost? Cool.

Now we just have to address the house rule that True Polymorph is an instantaneous spell rather than an ongoing magical effect and the house rule that changes the ability description of Truesight and True Seeing to the past tense.

By this argument, would you say that if you polymorphed a creature into another creature that you could target the original's hp instead of what it was polymorphed into? That clearly isnt how it is intended to work or stated to work. Therefore, true polymorphing a creature into something that isn't targetable means you cant target it even if you knew it was a creature. The conversation on true names is a red herring and doesnt have bearing on if it is targetable.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Troll in the Playground

Beholder

And again, nothing in the RAW requires seeing a creature to make a Weapon Attack against it, so, if TP doesn’t actually transform something, then the original creature can still be targeted by Weapon Attacks (or any spells that don’t require sight), regardless of Truesight.

AIR, you’ve yet to address this for 5 pages though it’s been pointed out multiple times.

But again, TP does change the original creature, which is why it isn’t eligible as a target for anything: because it no longer exists.
    Last edited by RSP; 2022-01-14 at 09:55 AM.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by RSP View Post
    And again, nothing in the RAW requires seeing a creature to make a Weapon Attack against it, so, if TP doesn’t actually transform something, then the original creature can still be targeted by Weapon Attacks (or any spells that don’t require sight), regardless of Truesight.

AIR, you’ve yet to address this for 5 pages though it’s been pointed out multiple times.

But again, TP does change the original creature, which is why it isn’t eligible as a target for anything: because it no longer exists.
    more specifically, you are explicitly allowed to target creatures that you cant see, or at least attempt to.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Banned

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by RSP View Post

The creature does exist. The creature is part of an ongoing magical effect that is transforming the fully present actual creature into a statue that is entirely a magical manifestation. True Polymorph is not an instantaneous spell.

The requirement for targeting with EB per XGtE is merely believing the target is a creature. Truesight achieves that with ease as the creature enabled with that sense directly perceives that the statue is not just a statue but is actually a creature that is being transformed by an ongoing effect into a statue.

The requirement for damaging with EB is first that the damage delivered can damage an object. Force damage can damage an object and no where does it say that EB cannot damage an object only that the target is a creature. Second, the caster must directly perceive the creature underneath the derived transform such that they directly know rather than just believe that the target is a creature. Truesight enables the direct perception of the base creature that is being transformed by magical effect into the derived statue form.
    Last edited by AIResearch; 2022-01-14 at 07:57 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ettin in the Playground

The creature does exist. The creature is part of an ongoing magical effect that is transforming the fully present actual creature into a statue that is entirely a magical manifestation. True Polymorph is not an instantaneous spell.

The requirement for targeting with EB per XGtE is merely believing the target is a creature. Truesight achieves that with ease as the creature enabled with that sense directly perceives that the statue is not just a statue but is actually a creature that is being transformed by an ongoing effect into a statue.

The requirement for damaging with EB is first that the damage delivered can damage an object. Force damage can damage an object and no where does it say that EB cannot damage an object only that the target is a creature. Second, the caster must directly perceive the creature underneath the derived transform such that they directly know rather than just believe that the target is a creature. Truesight enables the direct perception of the base creature that is being transformed by magical effect into the derived statue form.
    You're contradicting yourself a bit, methinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

30. - Top - End - #150
    Banned

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    You're contradicting yourself a bit, methinks.
    Not a contradiction. You can target something you believe is a viable target (e.g. an illusion) but it will fizzle unless the target is a valid target. Truesight reveals that the statue is actually a creature that is being transformed by magical effect into a statue and thereby unveils that it is a valid target. The truth that Truesight unveils is otherwise hidden.